Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   The Offseason News Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58314)

MassNole 01-29-2014 10:07 AM

The Offseason News Thread

Over the next 7 agonizing months there will be a lot of stories coming out, very few of which would be thread worthy, so I figured why not start an offseason news thread for those smaller articles to keep conversation going.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...nsion-22281380

To kick it off, Notre Dame just announced a $400,000,000 renovation project to their stadium to not only benefit the program, but their academics as well.

Quote:

The new buildings will house a student center on the west side, the anthropology and psychology departments and a digital media center on the east side and music and sacred music departments on the south side, leaving the side facing Touchdown Jesus unchanged.

The Rev. John Jenkins, the university president, called it "the most ambitious building project in the 172-year history of Notre Dame," saying more space was needed to accommodate the university's broadening research activity.

MassNole 01-29-2014 10:24 AM

http://college-football.si.com/2014/...lege-football/

Daytona International Speedway is interested in hosting a College Football game after it completes its latest renovations. The site has hosted games before in the 70's, but between HBCUs.

I'd have to imagine that FSU and Florida are on the top of the list for them to land in the theoretical game.

Punisher 01-29-2014 10:31 AM

CFB Update:

No football will be monitored by ESPN west of Texas.

Stay tuned for no updates on this matter.

MassNole 01-29-2014 04:44 PM

Florida A&M may where these helmets in 2014.

Jcn92 01-29-2014 04:59 PM

I like the helmets for FAMU actually, it's a cool use of the rattlesnake skin design.

Also, it's about time that Notre Dame update their stadium. I don't know what took so long. It's like the only one in the Midwest that hasn't been brought into the 21st century. They're pretty much doing what FSU did with Doak Campbell Stadium a while back, by building the departments for different schools into the exterior of the stadium.

I like how they are going to keep the north endzone clear, I think that was a given. But it looks like they are going to keep the old scoreboard too which is nice. I wish more stadiums did that, so you could see what the stadium looked like at different times and somewhat keep the nostalgia feel.

Jcn92 01-31-2014 07:24 PM

View from the top of the new Baylor Stadium, looks good so far.

georgiafan 02-06-2014 12:17 PM

Blake Bell for OU moves to TE http://espn.go.com/college-football/...back-tight-end

MassNole 02-06-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgiafan (Post 3563527)

Probably 2 years too late

niel89 02-06-2014 09:15 PM

Might as well start the transition now. 6'6" 255 is good size for the position but can he catch or block?

MassNole 02-07-2014 10:35 AM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...y-2-more-years

According to Jameis Winston he will stay 2 more years at Florida State, opening up the #1 spot in the 2015 draft.

MassNole 02-07-2014 10:39 AM

Duke is starting Spring Practice today.

Nothing says the start of Spring like National Signing Day..........

SickwithIt1010 02-07-2014 10:47 AM

Hmmm, the ESPN alert I got just said that theres a chance that could be true.

I dont doubt it, but I could likely see him leave too. Long ways away until that point.

MassNole 02-07-2014 11:00 AM

25 Worst CFB Coaching Tenures of the BCS Era

This one stands out.....

Quote:

12. Kevin Steele, Baylor
Record: 9-36 (1999-2002)

Steele is a highly regarded defensive assistant but had a dismal stint as a head coach at Baylor. The South Carolina native was hired at Baylor in 1999, after spending four years as an assistant with the NFL’s Carolina Panthers. Prior to his arrival in Waco, Steele had no head coaching experience – and it clearly showed. The Bears had three consecutive losing seasons before Steele’s debut, but Baylor backtracked under his watch. The Bears went 1-10 in 1999 and then 8-26 in the next three years. Steele’s biggest blunder came against UNLV in 1999, as he chose to run a play instead of kneeling down with 12 seconds left. Baylor fumbled on that play, and the turnover was returned by UNLV for a touchdown, giving the Rebels a 27-24 victory.
Of all of the coaches on this list and considering how young he was when Baylor hired him, I am really surprised Kevin Steele hasn't gotten a head coaching job elsewhere. He is a great recruiter and has a good football mind and experience coaching under Nick Saban (NFL and CFB) and Bobby Bowden. I get Baylor was a disaster and that UNLV loss will live on forever but looking at some of the clowns who have gotten jobs, I just don't get how he hasn't gotten another chance.

MassNole 02-10-2014 12:15 PM

http://gridirongrit.com/2014/02/cali...ditioning-run/

California DE Ted Agu died during preseason conditioning.

georgiafan 02-10-2014 08:52 PM

Vols LB aj Johnson arrested for several things like buying beer for underage kids, resisting arrest, impersonation

MassNole 02-12-2014 04:52 PM

NCAA is considering changing the rules to allow Targeting penalties to be overturned by review (or halftime review by officials in lower levels to overturn objections). Additionally, a rule prohibiting the offense from snapping the ball until :29 seconds are on the play clock to give defenses :10 to substitute.

Thoughts?

niel89 02-12-2014 07:43 PM

I like the review of the targeting penalty because it is so significant so often, but I'm leery of reviewing penalties in general. As much as I hate PI calls I don't think refs reviewing penalties is good.

That clock rule is stupid. If an offense wants to run fast the defense should have to stop it. Defenses should know they need yo be conditioned to play against these offenses. They should have a rule to save them. This sounds like something Saban would be pushing for. I'm assuming there are going to be rules to allow hurried offense in low time situations.

MassNole 02-13-2014 12:01 PM

From the explanation given, even the teams who run the Oregon paced offenses generally don't snap the ball within :10. If the goal is to make the game safer, I don't think it is a completely absurd idea.

MassNole 02-13-2014 12:02 PM

NCAA working on proposal to basically give the Big 5 whatever they want

For example the ACC may get complete autonomy over how teams are selected for the ACCCG.

SickwithIt1010 02-13-2014 12:49 PM

It wont make the game safer, they have actually done studies on this proving that teams that run fast paced offenses have less injuries because they are in much better shape.

This is nothing other than the NCAA buying into Saban's whining. Obviously I could care less because this will make take everything special that Oregon does and make it rather boring...their offense works because they snap it before the defense can get set. Teams that can huddle up and shove it down your throat are going to continue winning games.

metafour 02-13-2014 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassNole (Post 3567438)
From the explanation given, even the teams who run the Oregon paced offenses generally don't snap the ball within :10. If the goal is to make the game safer, I don't think it is a completely absurd idea.

Those teams still run up to the line and get set quickly which still prevents the defense from substituting.

The "safety" excuse they are throwing out here is pure BS. There is absolutely no factual data to suggest that "hurry up" teams cause more injuries. What this is is Saban and others crying because it negates the type of game he wants to play. He has not been able to stop these offenses.

badgerbacker 02-13-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 (Post 3567461)
It wont make the game safer, they have actually done studies on this proving that teams that run fast paced offenses have less injuries because they are in much better shape.

This is nothing other than the NCAA buying into Saban's whining. Obviously I could care less because this will make take everything special that Oregon does and make it rather boring...their offense works because they snap it before the defense can get set. Teams that can huddle up and shove it down your throat are going to continue winning games.

Where are those studies? And did they prove that there are less injuries for the opposing players, or just the team that runs it?

I like the rule. It won't slow the game down at all, it'll just let the defense substitute.

metafour 02-13-2014 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgerbacker (Post 3567509)
I like the rule. It won't slow the game down at all, it'll just let the defense substitute.

The defense can already substitute. The problem is that coaches like Saban want it so that they can send in specialty units at-will depending on down and distance, because his gameplan revolves around out-talenting the opposition.

The better question is what happens when a team is down by multiple scores in the 4th quarter? There are provisions in this rule to allow teams to "go fast" within the final 2 minutes, but what happens if you are down multiple scores with 5 minutes left? 4 minutes left? You obviously need to move as fast as possible if you want any chance to tie the game, but you cant. It is absurd.

badgerbacker 02-13-2014 02:07 PM

I understand that some people won't like it, but I do. For all the rule changes that benefit offenses, it's nice to see one that helps the defense out. I hope it happens.

SickwithIt1010 02-13-2014 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgerbacker (Post 3567523)
I understand that some people won't like it, but I do. For all the rule changes that benefit offenses, it's nice to see one that helps the defense out. I hope it happens.

You hope that a team has to waste time with 5 mins left in the game when every second is valuable down multiple scores?

This is ridiculous.