Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   This Year's Damontre Moore (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58398)

Shupp 02-11-2014 09:18 PM

This Year's Damontre Moore

At this time last year Damontre Moore was a near-consensus top 10 pick, then he went to the combine and absolutely stunk up the joint http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combin...ne-performance. He then slid to late 1st-early 2nd in everybody's mock drafts. He ended up going in the 3rd round, #81 overall.

Who has the best chance of going from top 10 to 3rd rounder this year?

Nastradamus 02-11-2014 09:23 PM

Kouandjio or Gilbert, maybe even Bridgewater or Evans.

RaiderNation 02-11-2014 09:28 PM

Ill keep it at the same position with Stephon Tuitt, who at 1 point was a possible top 10 pick. His stock seems to be in the low 20's right now but with a bad combine he could fall.

Shupp 02-11-2014 09:35 PM

I think Barr will fall but not close to as far as "DaMonster" did. Maybe Marqise Lee due to medical?

Sportsfan486 02-11-2014 10:12 PM

I think either of the two ND Linemen are good calls; Nix or Tuitt.

I wouldn't be shocked if Nix showed up huge and slow or Tuitt looked lazy and dropped because of it into the 2nd/3rd range.

bigbuc 02-12-2014 12:12 AM

Barr is taking a hit already. If he doesn't run the 4.55 that everyone thinks he can. I think he ends up in the 20's. Not a far fall, but from top 5 money its a big drop to them.

holt_bruce81 02-12-2014 12:13 AM

Hate to say it because he's a Missouri Tiger, but could be Kony Ealy

Iamcanadian 02-12-2014 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nastradamus (Post 3566438)
Kouandjio or Gilbert, maybe even Bridgewater or Evans.

Only Bridgewater is a top 10 prospect among this group and I cannot see him dropping at all, but if we are talking about 1st rounder then I agree that Evans is a possibility, his speed is questionable and playing with Manziel made it easy for him to get open and he may be seen to have trouble creating space with a normal QB. I'd put Benjamin in the same category, in his case, he's talented but raw as a WR and that rawness could drop him on draft day. The only other guy with question marks is Amaro who played in that spread type offense, can he adjust to a NFL type offense.

AntoinCD 02-12-2014 03:59 AM

I am going to say Anthony Barr. I feel like his stock was inflated based on his upside and the fact he has only played defense for 2 years. I think he will run pretty well in the 40 but could get shown up in the agility drills. He seems very straight line-ish to me. If he is put into LB drills and struggles to turn his hips he could become one of those dreaded players without a position.

Not saying he will drop to the third but I could see a fall to the mid to late first anyway at this stage.

duesouth 02-12-2014 04:10 AM

Medically I would pick Nix as his tendonitis is going to be a problem moving forward - how long before he needs another surgery? Remember Jesse Williams last year - is it the same deal with Nix? Unlikely we'll know until Draft day however - although I did see Nolan Nawrocki is writing the NFL.com Draft profiles, but might well be muzzled in terms of his usual character/medical (and if anyone knows a writer who is good with this kind of stuff I'd love to know - interests me more than opinions from tape which we can all make!).

Athletically I would say maybe Dennard might well run a slow 40 - Joe Haden?

I actually think Barr will test out OK as a linear athlete - not sure his change of direction drills will be great, but expect explosion drills to be near the top of his position group.

xpmar9x 02-12-2014 07:28 AM

I would say CJ Mosley or Anthony Barr

Barr was once being talked about as a Top-3 pick, now he's in the 8-12 range in many mocks. I could see him falling, but not a ton.

Mosley is another Bama guy, that could be a Rolondo McClain (w/ better attitude). Mosley is a smart guy, but he struggles getting off blocks from what I've seen. I've seen him going in the Top-10, but think he'll be more around the 25 range.

E_Bird 02-12-2014 07:39 AM

I agree on Mosley. He does a lot of things well, and I think he'll be a good pro, but I don't see an impact player. Never had more than 9 TFL in a season, doesn't create a lot of TO's. I have him going to the Bengals at #24.

markulous 02-12-2014 09:50 AM

I've been saying Barr for a while. I watched him in a few games and have no idea how people had him as a top 5 prospect. Some people were even saying he was on par with Clowney. :confuse:

SuperPacker 02-12-2014 09:54 AM

Why would Barr fall dramatically? The pre-draft season was made for him. He's going to light up the combine which will only improve his stock...

If he's being projected top 10 with his current tape, he isn't going to fall because of the same tape.

markulous 02-12-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 3566659)
Why would Barr fall dramatically? The pre-draft season was made for him. He's going to light up the combine which will only improve his stock...

If he's being projected top 10 with his current tape, he isn't going to fall because of the same tape.

Probably will have good 40 times, but I think he'll struggle with some of the strength tests and possibly the 3-cone drills. And a lot of people are already dropping him out of their top 10 when a couple months ago he was in people's top 5.

Sportsfan486 02-12-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 3566659)

Reminds me of our little Nick Perry.

Based on the flashy numbers, ie weigh in,bench, 40, vert, Nick Perry had an unbelievable combine. But his more relevant numbers, ie 10 yard split, 3 cone, shuttle, were all very poor. He had been mocked in the top 15 but ended up dropping to us.

Attyla the Hawk 02-12-2014 11:56 AM

Hard to predict.

Barr is a good candidate -- as he really has to show the speed to maintain his status.

Other than that, there doesn't seem to be a guy likely to fall that far. Moore was extremely productive but just tested so badly. It doesn't look like there are many consensus top 10 overall guys who are like that. Ealy/Mosely aren't top 10 guys anyway. The CB class is deep and not exceptional. I wouldn't think any of them dropping to day 2 would be a shock. The depth and lack of separation of prospects will work against the position as a whole.

I might put Khalil Mack in this discussion. He doesn't have the tape against quality talent. If he had a poor combine, I would expect that to cost him nearly a full round. He's supposed to kill the combine and if he doesn't, I would think it would give a ton of teams pause. Being a LB and a lower division one at that, he needs to test great at the combine to maintain his 7-12 overall status we see today.

Don Vito 02-12-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Attyla the Hawk (Post 3566764)
Hard to predict.

Barr is a good candidate -- as he really has to show the speed to maintain his status.

Other than that, there doesn't seem to be a guy likely to fall that far. Moore was extremely productive but just tested so badly. It doesn't look like there are many consensus top 10 overall guys who are like that. Ealy/Mosely aren't top 10 guys anyway. The CB class is deep and not exceptional. I wouldn't think any of them dropping to day 2 would be a shock. The depth and lack of separation of prospects will work against the position as a whole.

I might put Khalil Mack in this discussion. He doesn't have the tape against quality talent. If he had a poor combine, I would expect that to cost him nearly a full round. He's supposed to kill the combine and if he doesn't, I would think it would give a ton of teams pause. Being a LB and a lower division one at that, he needs to test great at the combine to maintain his 7-12 overall status we see today.

He was probably the best player on the field against Ohio State. That may be a small sample size, but they were one of the top teams in the country and Mack absolutely dominated. I have a hard time believing he will test poorly, he out ran everybody on that pick six.

He can fall all the way to the Pats if he wants. I think he has the chance to be one of the best players to come out of this class, if not the best. I firmly believe that.

Miaoww 02-12-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E_Bird (Post 3566598)
I agree on Mosley. He does a lot of things well, and I think he'll be a good pro, but I don't see an impact player. Never had more than 9 TFL in a season, doesn't create a lot of TO's. I have him going to the Bengals at #24.

I kind of agree about Mosley, but I will say - often it's tough for players like him to make splash plays when everyone else around you is so damn good.

He'd stand out more if he was playing for say Miami.

mightytitan9 02-12-2014 01:47 PM

Moore had serious question marks and all of the worst were revealed when he went to the combine. The only player that could slightly resemble what Moore did last season is Anthony Barr, but I still find it highly highly unlikely he would fall out of the first round.

We've seen guys like Cyrus Kouandjio go from a top 5-10 prospect to around 20-25 already, and we've seen a guy like Kony Ealy go from around a late 2nd/3rd at the end of the season to regularly being talked about as a top 15 pick.

With Moore though, the question were about his size, and his ability to translate into a 3-4 defense. He fell largely because his size largely pointed towards a 3-4 backer, but his speed and agility where extremely limited to where 3-4 backer wasn't an option.

The only one I can see is if one of the top CBs come out and run really slow, or Mike Evans comes out and runs slow.

SuperPacker 02-12-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 (Post 3566758)
Reminds me of our little Nick Perry.

Based on the flashy numbers, ie weigh in,bench, 40, vert, Nick Perry had an unbelievable combine. But his more relevant numbers, ie 10 yard split, 3 cone, shuttle, were all very poor. He had been mocked in the top 15 but ended up dropping to us.

So he dropped 15 spots. That isn't anything like what happened to Damontre Moore. And he wasn't ever a consensus top 15 pick. He might've been mocked there a few times but I don't think anyone was shocked when he was there at the end of the 1st round.

fredder 02-12-2014 03:08 PM

I don't think any of the guys who currently carry top 10 grades are going to drop off like Moore did. However I could see some of the guys who've already started to fall continue to do so. Tuitt and Nix are the most likely guys to me right now. If Tuitt is less athletic than people think and shows a lack of strength I could see him sliding big time as people question where he fits in. Nix's conditioning and medical concerns could see him continue to drop. I could definitely see Mosley dropping a bit if he doesn't run well. Marqise Lee is the other guy I could see falling. The WR position is so competitive this year and if he has a bad combine or his injury concerns scare teams off a bit he could fall quite a bit.

Nastradamus 02-12-2014 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 3566525)
Only Bridgewater is a top 10 prospect among this group and I cannot see him dropping at all, but if we are talking about 1st rounder then I agree that Evans is a possibility, his speed is questionable and playing with Manziel made it easy for him to get open and he may be seen to have trouble creating space with a normal QB. I'd put Benjamin in the same category, in his case, he's talented but raw as a WR and that rawness could drop him on draft day. The only other guy with question marks is Amaro who played in that spread type offense, can he adjust to a NFL type offense.

Gilbert and Evans are frequently mocked to teams like Detroit and Buffalo.

E_Bird 02-12-2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miaoww (Post 3566852)
I kind of agree about Mosley, but I will say - often it's tough for players like him to make splash plays when everyone else around you is so damn good.

He'd stand out more if he was playing for say Miami.

Yeah, but ideally you'd have him on a good/great D in the NFL. Do you want to spend a high first on a guy who can't stand out in an ideal setting (for the team)? Because he does cover and play in space very well, I still see him as a 1st RD prospect - just not toward the top.

mightytitan9 02-12-2014 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredder (Post 3566913)
I don't think any of the guys who currently carry top 10 grades are going to drop off like Moore did. However I could see some of the guys who've already started to fall continue to do so. Tuitt and Nix are the most likely guys to me right now. If Tuitt is less athletic than people think and shows a lack of strength I could see him sliding big time as people question where he fits in. Nix's conditioning and medical concerns could see him continue to drop. I could definitely see Mosley dropping a bit if he doesn't run well. Marqise Lee is the other guy I could see falling. The WR position is so competitive this year and if he has a bad combine or his injury concerns scare teams off a bit he could fall quite a bit.

This is what I'm saying, guys like Cyrus and Tuitt were formerly touted as top 10 picks, but they've already fallen. Both are considered bottom of the first round now, so I don't see anyone having the fall of Moore