Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Oakland pursuing McCown? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5860)

Splat 04-06-2007 02:16 PM

Oakland pursuing McCown?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors

The Oakland Raiders have zeroed in on a veteran quarterback they would like to acquire while they ponder the possibility of drafting LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Oakland has entered into trade negotiations with Detroit Lions backup quarterback Josh McCown, who signed last season with the idea of being a starter, but lost the job early to Jon Kitna.

Tha rizzock 04-06-2007 02:18 PM

I think its showing more and more they are not liking russel. Mccown,shaub,carr,garcia.

Windy 04-06-2007 02:20 PM

we've been discussing this for a while in the team forum. I think this trade will happen.

neko4 04-06-2007 02:49 PM

Ive always liked him. Threw alot of picks, but is a good QB

bearsfan_51 04-06-2007 02:50 PM

Maybe this means Mike Williams can make the roster at WR.

Hahahahahahaha....

toonsterwu 04-06-2007 03:13 PM

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, as it could give us a stronger indication as to what the Raiders and Lions may pursue in the draft. McCown's a decent talent, but he certainly does not the franchise QB that they need.

Tha rizzock 04-06-2007 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toonsterwu (Post 280002)
It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, as it could give us a stronger indication as to what the Raiders and Lions may pursue in the draft. McCown's a decent talent, but he certainly does not the franchise QB that they need.

No one knows how good he will be if given a full season though and i expect the raiders O-line to be much improved

JCutlery 04-06-2007 04:06 PM

I think this also opens a good possibility of Detroit then taking JaMarcus Russell after Oakland selects CJ, clearly not needing a 1st round QB with McCown's acquisition.

bearsfan_51 04-06-2007 04:08 PM

I really don't think this changes a whole lot, McCown is not a longterm answer for either team.

JCutlery 04-06-2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 280250)
I really don't think this changes a whole lot, McCown is not a longterm answer for either team.

I know, but it just adds to the idea that their interest is in CJ. And with Detroit only having Kitna, Russell would make a whole lot of sense all of the sudden.

bearsfan_51 04-06-2007 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCutlery (Post 280258)
I know, but it just adds to the idea that their interest is in CJ. And with Detroit only having Kitna, Russell would make a whole lot of sense all of the sudden.

Detroit will need a young QB regardless, I don't think moving McCown changes anything.

As for Oakland, I suppose that McCown could be a sign against Russell, but I'm not sure anyone really buys McCown as a guy that can be a longterm answer.

Paranoidmoonduck 04-06-2007 04:23 PM

Oakland was going to add another quarterback regardless of whether they intend to draft Russell or CJ. I think that the fact that they tried to trade for Schaub is the most telling sign.

Tha rizzock 04-06-2007 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 280250)

I disagree you would be amazed when some QBs get to start a season what they can do.

Empire 04-06-2007 04:27 PM

Is McCown the ex-Cardinals QB who a couple years ago threw that miracle touchdown pass on the last play to beat the Vikings and end their playoff hopes?

bearsfan_51 04-06-2007 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tha rizzock (Post 280324)
I disagree you would be amazed when some QBs get to start a season what they can do.

For every one guy like that there are 100 that still suck.

The Unseen 04-06-2007 04:33 PM

Well, I guess this means no Calvin Johnson to Oakland...

...wait, is he gonna be a WR or QB?

San Diego Chicken 04-06-2007 04:36 PM

Maybe I'm the only one, but I think Tim Rattay would be the best stopgap type QB for the Raiders considering he has worked with Knapp for years before and knows the offense like the back of his hand, having played in it virtually his whole career.

RaiderNation 04-06-2007 04:36 PM

i hope this means CJ to the raiders

BLACKnGOLD 04-06-2007 04:40 PM

I hate how people view Eli Manning as a long term answer, but someone with an equal skill set, McCown, as a spot starter.

ElectricEye 04-06-2007 04:46 PM

Russell isn't as much of a slam dunk to Oakland as it seemed at first..
As for McCown...I haven't mentioned this here, but I'm a major Vikings fan aside from being a Patriots fan....I watched McCown ruin a season for my Vikes. I'm not a big fan of the guy. However, he's a pretty decent starter if you want a guy for a year or two. He would be pretty good for the Raiders.

JCutlery 04-06-2007 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 280301)
but I'm not sure anyone really buys McCown as a guy that can be a longterm answer.

Oh no way, they will likely use a first-day pick on a quarterback. Trent Edwards is nice local kid, he'd be a good pick in the 3rd round.

AdrianWilson12 04-06-2007 05:48 PM

I liked Mcnown for the Cards. He clearly had worse stats than Warner, but our win percentage under him was so much better. At the time I didn't think we should have let him leave, but after drafting Leinart I was ok with it.

I'm not sure if he can become a good starter with Oakland, but its worth taking a chance. They just need a backup option.

Komp 04-06-2007 06:32 PM

I think a lot of ppl are giving McCown too much credit. I highly doubt anyone in the Raiders organization is looking at him as a long term solution at QB. It is possible however, that they have decided to go with CJ and want to bring in some younger competition for Walter in the hopes that one of them might emerge before either addressing the QB situation in FA or next years draft.

Tha rizzock 04-06-2007 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komp (Post 280712)
I think a lot of ppl are giving McCown too much credit. I highly doubt anyone in the Raiders organization is looking at him as a long term solution at QB. It is possible however, that they have decided to go with CJ and want to bring in some younger competition for Walter in the hopes that one of them might emerge before either addressing the QB situation in FA or next years draft.

It will be an open QB compitition if we get mccown. Walter,mccown,kolb or edwards.

NIN1984 04-06-2007 07:40 PM

McCown is just a back-up I still think Raiders will take JaMarcus Russell