Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Michael Sam, Defensive End, St. Louis Rams (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59306)

Breed 05-19-2014 02:53 PM

Michael Sam, Defensive End, St. Louis Rams
 
Quote:

Michael Sam's critics received a new piece of red meat this week with the announcement that the Oprah Winfrey Network was creating a multi-part documentary series on Sam's attempt to get an NFL job.
So now this guy is getting a TV show?? Is it just me or is this guy an attention ***** ?

nepg 05-19-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breed (Post 3657105)
So now this guy is getting a TV show?? Is it just me or is this guy an attention ***** ?

No, he's not an attention *****, just an attention magnet. I believe the reality show is an attempt to continue to control what gets put out about him and who he talks to. He initially came out because he would have eventually been outed. Coming out on his own meant positive attention, being outed meant negative attention. He hasn't done any interviews since.

With the reality show, he's again controlling the massive media swarm that was already likely to occur. I'm guessing the OWN contract gives them exclusive rights, which keeps a large majority of the media vultures off his back.

It was a smart move, and will ultimately be what's best for the Rams, too.

Don Vito 05-19-2014 03:07 PM

This thread is going places.

We'll see what happens. He is getting his chance which he deserves, he probably got drafted right around where he should've been. Obviously tested poorly but he had some solid production in college. Sacks are sometimes misleading and I feel like that was the case for him as a senior, but there is no denying that he was a produtctive college player. I honestly think he took a step back as a senior despite winning SEC co-defensive player of the year with the stats to back it up.

Even if he is not an attention *****, just an attention magnet, he is an attention magnet who needs to work on his PR people. TV show wasn't the best call for him. I know it got scrapped but that wasn't a good look.

killxswitch 05-19-2014 03:17 PM

"I'm only focused on football and making the team. And my TV show. Which is about me."

cgf (Rosebud) 05-19-2014 03:41 PM

Michael Sam would be getting a ton of attention whether he played a part in it or not. Given that makes sense for the kid to control as much of that as he can.

Plus it's not like he's going to make much of a career out of football, so a man's gotta do what he's gotta do to get paid, and for Michael Sam that probably means TV and sponsorships to pitch ****.

Breed 05-19-2014 03:42 PM

I have a feeling that even if he doesn't deserve to make the team Fisher will keep hi, because he knows he will get crucified by the media if he cuts him .

cgf (Rosebud) 05-19-2014 03:45 PM

Are you also one of those people who think Der Kommisioner was calling teams in the 7th round trying to bully them into drafting Sam?

Bert Macklin 05-19-2014 04:06 PM

He's taking advantage of situation/attention and cashing in. I'd do it, all of you would too.

nepg 05-19-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) (Post 3657146)
Michael Sam would be getting a ton of attention whether he played a part in it or not. Given that makes sense for the kid to control as much of that as he can.

Thank you. I don't get why people struggle to understand this.

Quote:

Plus it's not like he's going to make much of a career out of football, so a man's gotta do what he's gotta do to get paid, and for Michael Sam that probably means TV and sponsorships to pitch ****.
I disagree. He's a much better player than he tested. His sack total might have been flukey, but he is very disruptive. He gets really low and penetrates gaps (oh gawd, no pun intended). I think he makes the team because I think he's a solid football player.

zachsaints52 05-19-2014 04:15 PM

Im pretty sure they already put the show on hold since it has gotten a bunch of reactions. Plus, none of the show was to be filmed at the St. Louis facilities.

XxXdragonXxX 05-19-2014 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) (Post 3657151)
Are you also one of those people who think Der Kommisioner was calling teams in the 7th round trying to bully them into drafting Sam?

I think Sam coming out may have dropped him from a possible 5th round pick to a 7th, but also guaranteed he wouldn't be one of those guys that could have been drafted in the 5th but slipped through the cracks and ended up undrafted. I don't think anyone was forced to select him, but I do think every NFL franchise was sitting there hoping someone would take him just so the league didn't appear homophobic, even though they are. The Rams happened to bite the bullet. Unfortunately for Sam he has virtually no chance of cracking that loaded roster, and Im not sure he'll get another shot.

cgf (Rosebud) 05-19-2014 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxXdragonXxX (Post 3657172)
I think Sam coming out may have dropped him from a possible 5th round pick to a 7th, but also guaranteed he wouldn't be one of those guys that could have been drafted in the 5th but slipped through the cracks and ended up undrafted. I don't think anyone was forced to select him, but I do think every NFL franchise was sitting there hoping someone would take him just so the league didn't appear homophobic, even though they are. The Rams happened to bite the bullet. Unfortunately for Sam he has virtually no chance of cracking that loaded roster, and Im not sure he'll get another shot.

I don't disagree with any of this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nepg (Post 3657168)
Thank you. I don't get why people struggle to understand this.



I disagree. He's a much better player than he tested. His sack total might have been flukey, but he is very disruptive. He gets really low and penetrates gaps (oh gawd, no pun intended). I think he makes the team because I think he's a solid football player.

He's not a bad football player by any stretch, but he's just not an NFL caliber athlete, especially at a position like pass rusher that places so much emphasis on athleticism over technique. If Michael Sam is still in the league two years from now I will be absolutely shocked.

phlysac 05-19-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachsaints52 (Post 3657169)
Im pretty sure they already put the show on hold since it has gotten a bunch of reactions. Plus, none of the show was to be filmed at the St. Louis facilities.

Yeah. I believe that filming was only going to be away from football and it has now been put on indefinite hold, anyways.

Quote:

Oprah’s Michael Sam Documentary Put On Hold

May 17, 2014


The OWN documentary announced earlier this week has been put on hold, allowing the first openly gay player in the NFL "to have total focus on football" as he attempts to get on the roster for the St. Louis Rams, his agent said

A documentary series set to follow Michael Sam’s life as the first openly gay player in the NFL has been postponed, the Oprah Winfrey Network announced Friday evening.

“After careful consideration and discussion with the St. Louis Rams, ‘The Untitled Michael Sam Project’ has been postponed, allowing Michael the best opportunity to achieve his dreams of making the team,” OWN president Erik Logan said in a statement.

Sam came out publicly in February and was drafted to the St. Louis Rams May 10, becoming the first openly gay player in the NFL. The documentary was reportedly set to follow the Rams draftee in his attempt to make the team’s roster, ESPN reports. The show would have been divided into six or eight segments.

The NFL was unaware of the documentary before the OWN network announcement on Wednesday.

An anonymous player on the Rams told ESPN before the show was canceled that it could cause some friction on the team. “It’s an interesting case that he gets to work with Oprah and have his own show, but I think it does raise eyebrows and it may be somewhat of a distraction,” the player said.

Sam’s agent, Cameron Weiss, met with the Rams in person on Friday and said after the meeting that it was in the interests of the team to put the documentary on hold. The postponement “will allow for Michael to have total focus on football, and will ensure no distractions to his teammates,” Weiss said. “Everybody involved remains committed to this project and understands its historical importance as well as its positive message.”
http://time.com/103699/michael-sam-o...ry-rams-oprah/

Jas 05-19-2014 04:57 PM

I don't know, whats the problem with someone doing a series or documentary on his story? He's a pioneer in the NFL. Thats not being an attention *****, imo he deserves the spotlight for his courage.
Why is it a distraction? Is it a distraction when they cover other players journeys to the NFL or do hard knocks? :njx:

Breed 05-19-2014 06:40 PM

I like the way some of you are trying to play it off. Name the last 7th to del that had ESPN camera crew in his living room on draft day ?? This guy is an attention ***** and I rest my case !!!

SuperPacker 05-19-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breed (Post 3657231)
I like the way some of you are trying to play it off. Name the last 7th to del that had ESPN camera crew in his living room on draft day ?? This guy is an attention ***** and I rest my case !!!

Lol, are you serious? ESPN had a camera crew in his room because he's going to be the first openly gay player to ever play in the NFL. Like, ever, in the entire history of the NFL's existence. It'd be stupid if everyone just ignored it. And so what if he lets them film? Is Tre Mason an attention ***** because he had cameras in his house? Is every other player that had cameras in their house an attention *****? Here's a wild theory, your actual issue is with the fact that he's gay, and not the fact that he is accepting attention...

CJSchneider 05-19-2014 07:13 PM

No, let's be honest here. I have to say his desire to get some attention can not be ignored. He didn't come out because his sexuality was causing a problem for him, nor did he come out directly after he won the SEC DPOY. He didn't wait until he was drafted then announce he was gay. His sexuality is by far the most notable thing about him now.

What is going to be the determining factor for me, is will we see him do what needs to be done so other players after him may not have to go through some of what he went through, or did he do it to be known?

SuperPacker 05-19-2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJSchneider (Post 3657245)
No, let's be honest here. I have to say his desire to get some attention can not be ignored. He didn't come out because his sexuality was causing a problem for him, nor did he come out directly after he won the SEC DPOY. He didn't wait until he was drafted then announce he was gay. His sexuality is by far the most notable thing about him now.

What is going to be the determining factor for me, is will we see him do what needs to be done so other players after him may not have to go through some of what he went through, or did he do it to be known?

:njx:

Whenever he came out people would have been saying he was doing it for attention. His teammates already knew he was gay; it was going to come out eventually through the draft process. And it's better for him to say it rather than everyone else find out and ask him why he's been hiding it. If he wanted attention he would've come out before February...

Why can't he just come out because he doesn't want to hide it from millions of people?

Breed 05-19-2014 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 3657247)
:njx:

Whenever he came out people would have been saying he was doing it for attention. His teammates already knew he was gay; it was going to come out eventually through the draft process. And it's better for him to say it rather than everyone else find out and ask him why he's been hiding it. If he wanted attention he would've come out before February...

Why can't he just come out because he doesn't want to hide it from millions of people?

If he didn't want attention he would've came out his freshman year at Mizzu, but noooo he waits till he is going to enter the NFL spotlight.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock 05-19-2014 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJSchneider (Post 3657245)

What is going to be the determining factor for me, is will we see him do what needs to be done so other players after him may not have to go through some of what he went through, or did he do it to be known?

How has he not done that already being the first openly gay player drafted? He is already paving a path. He came out to his team before he came out to the world. The team managed to keep a secret. 100ish guys in college managed to keep a mans secret to me that seems near impossible. The world hasn't exploded yet. People keep saying for a 7th round draft pick he is getting to much attention but I've never heard anyone complain about Eric Legrand getting attention who was never drafted or a good player but he has a story to tell.

Even if it is for "attention *****" purposes what is the worst that could happen? It will just be following him around training camp like Gatorade does with their "Everything to prove" or Hard knocks. Michael Sam doesn't have to be the next Jackie Robinson.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock 05-19-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breed (Post 3657248)
If he didn't want attention he would've came out his freshman year year at Mizzu, but noooo he waits till he is going to enter the NFL spotlight.

This is the best troll post I have ever seen.

CJSchneider 05-19-2014 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 3657247)
Why can't he just come out because he doesn't want to hide it from millions of people?

And thus starts the hamster-wheel...

Understand, I'm playing the devil's advocate here for the sake of intelligent discussion mind you, but why "come out".

If your desire is to be treated for who you are as opposed to what you may be labeled as, what then is "coming out"?

Bob Sanders Dreadlock 05-19-2014 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJSchneider (Post 3657252)
And thus starts the hamster-wheel...

Understand, I'm playing the devil's advocate here for the sake of intelligent discussion mind you, but why "come out".

If your desire is to be treated for who you are as opposed to what you may be labeled as, what then is "coming out"?

Does his motivation really matter? It opened the door for other not just in football but anywhere in life.

CJSchneider 05-19-2014 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock (Post 3657249)
How has he not done that already being the first openly gay player drafted? He is already paving a path.

You can pave a path for you in the short term or for others behind you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock (Post 3657249)
Michael Sam doesn't have to be the next Jackie Robinson.

But fair or not, that is what he will be compared to.

Bucs_Rule 05-19-2014 07:52 PM

Jackie Robinson is famous for being famous for something he isn't. People think he's the first black player in the MLB when he wasn't. He gets all the fame, publicity and easy means to make money for the public giving him credit for that.

Michael Sam should want the same thing and he should be smart enough to know that just because he was first openly gay player to get drafted doesn't mean he will be remembered or even get credit for opening doors.

A gay football star might come around in a couple years and take the spotlight or could be an okay starter for players for years that gets the claim to fame.

Nothing wrong with Sam wanting to try to maximize the attention he is getting now. If he does keep the credit it makes earning money much easier.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.