Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Jerry Porter ESPN interview. (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6163)

snailplow 04-10-2007 01:59 AM

Jerry Porter ESPN interview.

I thought he had some interesting things to say about what happened last season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76UrYVrI8O4

locseti 04-10-2007 02:15 AM

wow, he's spot on about alot of things - especially on last years offense and how he didn't want to be a part of it. Hindsights 20/20 though.

Very interesting interview, he's saying alot of the things we have been saying...If he really knew the offense wasn't gonna work, I dont really blame him for not wanting to be a part of it.

TheChampIsHere 04-10-2007 02:52 AM

Yeah I cant really be mad at him for anything he said in that. It seems like him and Shell just really clashed but he is on board now and while Im still not a big fan of his because he doesnt just get with the program, Shell deserves more blame than he does and it was proven that Shell didnt have a clue. And the fact is Porter can be a playmaker on the field who can go across the middle and be a physical receiver and also go deep and he can really help our offense.

umphrey 04-10-2007 07:42 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like Porter has spent most of his career on the sidelines so far...

eacantdraft 04-10-2007 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere (Post 290439)
Yeah I cant really be mad at him for anything he said in that. It seems like him and Shell just really clashed but he is on board now and while Im still not a big fan of his because he doesnt just get with the program, Shell deserves more blame than he does and it was proven that Shell didnt have a clue. And the fact is Porter can be a playmaker on the field who can go across the middle and be a physical receiver and also go deep and he can really help our offense.

I don't think Jerry Porter has a clue. You try to help the team if it's bad. Not quit on it.

portermvp84 04-10-2007 09:54 AM

I saw that interview on ESPN the other day. I'm glad he's back on board and is willing to play. I say we should give him the number one reciver job. I'm just glad we got Shell out of there because we need Porter big time.

myinnerself 04-10-2007 10:45 AM

I personally wouldn't want a guy on my team who would quit because of a system. I want a guy that will only be motivated to work harder if the system seems flawed. You can't just quit on your teammates because you don't like the coach or system.

frogstomp 04-10-2007 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myinnerself (Post 290815)
I personally wouldn't want a guy on my team who would quit because of a system. I want a guy that will only be motivated to work harder if the system seems flawed. You can't just quit on your teammates because you don't like the coach or system.

You work on an assembly line. You put on a nut, only to have the next guy take off the very nut you put on.

Motivated?

lod01 04-10-2007 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umphrey (Post 290549)
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like Porter has spent most of his career on the sidelines so far...

You can't even imagine. He is the biggest pre-season faker of injury the league has ever seen. For at least the past 3 years, possibly 4, he has faked a pre-season injury that has magically healed right after being threatened with deactivation for week 1.

eacantdraft 04-10-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frogstomp (Post 290862)
You work on an assembly line. You put on a nut, only to have the next guy take off the very nut you put on.

Motivated?

Are you saying that Porter is the next guy who took off the nut?

yourfavestoner 04-10-2007 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eacantdraft (Post 291136)
Are you saying that Porter is the next guy who took off the nut?

Maybe, just maybe, he's talking about a coaching staff that implemented a scheme that had no chance of being successful.

frogstomp 04-10-2007 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourfavestoner (Post 291343)
Maybe, just maybe, he's talking about a coaching staff that implemented a scheme that had no chance of being successful.

Pretty much.

I'm also saying that when an offensive player did show up, and made a big play, the next play would be an interception, fumble, or sack, and they would shoot themselves in the foot and undo everything that had just been done.

eacantdraft 04-10-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourfavestoner (Post 291343)

And when you have players like Porter and Jake, a scheme has a much less chance of being successful.

frogstomp 04-10-2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eacantdraft (Post 291390)
And when you have players like Porter and Jake, a scheme has a much less chance of being successful.

That's why Moss was on pace to be the best statistical WR in the history of the game, aside from Rice.

Try again.

snailplow 04-10-2007 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umphrey (Post 290549)

Last year Shell kept him on the sidelines. Porter had to live with his decision.
The only other time he's not been on the field for an extended period of time was when he got a bad abdominal sports hernia, and couldn't play due to it.

snailplow 04-10-2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eacantdraft (Post 290583)
I don't think Jerry Porter has a clue. You try to help the team if it's bad. Not quit on it.

He didn't really quit b/c of his teammates.The real reason was explained in the video......Maybe you should watch it again.

eacantdraft 04-10-2007 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frogstomp (Post 291397)
That's why Moss was on pace to be the best statistical WR in the history of the game, aside from Rice.

Try again.

Try something called attitude, fangirl. Notice that your crush is still with the Raiders? No one wants to pay much to take the bum.

snailplow 04-10-2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eacantdraft (Post 291390)

Porter was on the team when the Raiders were doing well with Gannon at QB.......Shell and Walsh gave birth to the sh*tty Raiders football last season.
The fact that Porter saw their system as being as flawed as it was says that he knows what works ,and what won't work in today's NFL.

TheChampIsHere 04-10-2007 02:45 PM

I agree, I dont like the fact that he quit on the team. But at the same time, it isnt constructive to go on carrying grudges. Hes still on the team, hes a playmaker and we need him and whats important is right now he seems to be on board. But one thing to Porter's credit is it seemed he was ready to play but Shell pretty much refused to play him, so it wasnt all his fault that he didnt contribute. I cant believe Shell started Whitted over him the entire season.

doingthisinsteadofwork 04-10-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eacantdraft (Post 290583)

Porter never quit on the team.SHell simply benched him for the whole season.Thats no the same as quiting.

Xonraider 04-10-2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork (Post 291489)
Porter never quit on the team.SHell simply benched him for the whole season.Thats no the same as quiting.

Exactly. He was never in good terms with Shell, but when they decided to play him, he didn't hesitate.

frogstomp 04-10-2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eacantdraft (Post 291436)
Try something called attitude, fangirl. Notice that your crush is still with the Raiders? No one wants to pay much to take the bum.

Really? So if Moss gets over 1000 yards this season, you're willing to leave this forum and never post again?

TPFKA#1SaintsFan 04-10-2007 03:11 PM

Jerry Porter doesn't exactly strike me as a guy who, in his very own words, "needs to be an essential part of the offense in order to win."

Larry 04-10-2007 03:12 PM

Pretty classless to take Tim Browns numbers, imo that number should be retired.

snailplow 04-10-2007 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry (Post 291582)
Pretty classless to take Tim Browns numbers, imo that number should be retired.

Timmy B gave him his blessing a long time ago to wear #81.

If we retired Brown's jersey, we'd have to retire all of the other Raiders legend's jerseys as well, and we wouldn't have alot of jersey numbers left for skill position players.