||08-01-2006 02:27 PM
BBD's 10 NFL Truths (long write up)
Hey, if a moron like Whitlock can do it, why can't I? Im gonna make some predictions of stuff we'll see during the season, I'm just curious to see if 4 months from now if I was right. So...here we go
10. The Redskins will be at the bottom of the NFC East. That doesn't mean theyre a bad team, that just means that they won't be the better than the other 3. They have a great team on paper, but I just don't see Brunell holding up throughout the season and when they have to put Campbell in at Qb, kiss the playoffs good bye. You will not make the playoffs in this division with essentially a rookie qb. No way. I see an 8-8/7-9 season for them, which in this division, is enough to be the bottom.
9. Vernon Davis will have a disappointing year. I don't believe in Vernon Davis. He ran fast...whoopidy do. He's short, and has short arms. For all his strength, he doesn't block well, nor will he ever block well because of his short arms. A TE doesn't have to be fast, he has to be long. Look at Gates, theres at least 5 TEs in the league faster, yet he is the best. Why? Because his arms go down to his shoe laces, thats why.
8. Brian Dawkins will continue to be the Zach Thomas of safeties, all walk yet will not be considered the best FS in the game. Brian Dawkins has been the best FS in the game for the past 6 years or so. But he's always put behind someone else. He's durable, incredible at coverage, sure tackler, great blitzer, a team leader, intelligent, what more does he have to do? He is the best FS in the game, arguably the best S in the game right here right now, but he doesn't get that kind of love. And this year will be no different.
7. The NO Saints are gonna surprise alot of people this year. This is my darkhouse playoff contender. They have a great offense. Brees, Stallworth, Horn, Deuce and Reggie...thats insane. They can throw split back looks at you all day and you couldn't stop it. Motion Reggie to the slot...peace out LB. This offense could be explosive. And they have a decent pass rush on defense. That masks alot of other glaring weaknesses. If they can catch a hot streak....this team could snag a wild card spot.
6. Ben Roethlisberger will blame poor performance on more spoof injuries. Pay attention to this. He has a history of it. Its been overlooked because he's winning and winning solves everything. But pay attention to what he's said and done the past 2 years. His rookie year he blames his loss in the playoffs to a fake toe/foot injury, then he blames it on throwing too much (15-20 times a game is too much?). Then last year, he has a "thumb" injury that needed "surgery", but it turns out his thumb was perfectly fine. He blamed his loss to the Bengals in the regular season on his health, and in the SB he looked and felt fine....until he threw a pick for a TD (or almost a TD, i forgot). Then all of a sudden, he's holding his thumb in pain. This is a recurring theme, and if you pay close attention, if he starts losing this year, he will make more excuses...just watch out for it is all I'm saying.
5. The Ravens will make the playoffs, and the Bengals won't. I excpect the Ravens to have a balanced offense this year. Jamal Lewis should be back, and even if Boller has to start, I don't see him doing that bad. He actually finished the year real strong. They have an all world defense as well that will keep them in games. The bengals on the other hand, don't have an impressive defense, and Palmer should miss some time. That will prevent them from getting back in the playoffs.
4. The Giants first half schedule will either make them or break them.
The Giants fate is simple. Its all gonna come down to the first half of the season. Their schedule is brutal. If they falter, the season is over. If they succeed, they can very well win the division. Eli Manning will have a break out year, but will it be enough to win the first half? The schedule is brutal, and one injury during those games (esp to Barber) could end the Giants season. And if the secondary plays the way it did last year...well, its not gonna be pretty.
3. The AFC West will be an open race. This division is up for grabs. All the teams can win it...even the Raiders. The Chiefs have issues on defense and lost Roaf, the Broncos will still have issues at qb, the Raiders have a young but developing defense and Aaron Brooks, and the Chargers have Rivers running the show for the first time. All have major question marks that will be answered during the season. I wouldn't be surprised if this division mirrors the NFC East.
2. People will realize that they are waay overrating Al Saunders. All you hear is Al Saunders this, Al Saunders that. "The redskins offense will be great because of Al Saunders.." Give me a break. Do you think that KC oline had anything to do with his success in KC? That oline made the world go round. Not Al Saunders. He didn't look like a genius when Roaf was injured last year. Al Saunders will not revitalize the skins offense. It will be good, but no one should expect KC like results. Thats just foolish.
1. Larry Johnson will not have the rushing title next year. Larry Johnson will not have the rushing title next year despite of what everyone says. He's the easy paper choice, but he lost Roaf and teams will be gunning for him. I think he's getting too much hype and its gotten to his head. He will have a great year, but he won't be the best in the NFL, that will go to Ladanian this year.