Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Monte Kiffin The Head Coach (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782)

The Legend 09-20-2006 12:12 PM

Monte Kiffin The Head Coach

Monte Kiffin is my favorite defensive coordinator in the NFL right now do you guys think he can be a head coach i know some people say he’s a little bit old

but that's what i think some teams need

i see this guy on the sideline's all fire up if his players makes a good play or bad play

do you guys think he had a chance to be a head coach (not sure but i believe he is in his last year of his contract) and if so where to

Vince Lombardi 09-20-2006 12:14 PM

He's certainly deserving of a HC job and I'd like to see him get the chance, but the current trend in the NFL seems to be hiring young unproven coaches in hopes of getting the next Cowher.

The Legend 09-20-2006 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi
He's certainly deserving of a HC job and I'd like to see him get the chance, but the current trend in the NFL seems to be hiring young unproven coaches in hopes of getting the next Cowher.

i feel the same way i was a little bit mad with the packers choice i wanted so one more proven

slightlyaraiderfan 09-20-2006 12:21 PM

He might be deserving, but he seems like too much of an X and O's guy. Kind of like Norv Turner, great OC..horrible HC!

The Legend 09-20-2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillaraiderfan
He might be deserving, but he seems like too much of an X and O's guy. Kind of like Norv Turner, great OC..horrible HC!

for some reason i dont see that with him

Vince Lombardi 09-20-2006 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Legend
Quote:

i feel the same way i was a little bit mad with the packers choice i wanted so one more proven

JIM BATES!!!
:evil:

The Legend 09-20-2006 12:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

JIM BATES!!!

after what u saw bate do with that defence i was shock he didnt

what team is he with now>?

Dam8610 09-20-2006 01:03 PM

Kiffin may be the Tom Moore of Defensive Coordinators. Based on the performance of Tom Moore offenses, Moore should have had a head coaching oppurtunity at some point in his career, but he's never really wanted to be a head coach. Maybe Kiffin is the same way.

yourfavestoner 09-20-2006 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610
Kiffin may be the Tom Moore of Defensive Coordinators. Based on the performance of Tom Moore offenses, Moore should have had a head coaching oppurtunity at some point in his career, but he's never really wanted to be a head coach. Maybe Kiffin is the same way.

Agreed. Kiffin, Moore, and the Eagles' Jim Johnson are the deans of NFL coordinators. At this point in their careers, they're far too old to warrant serious consideration for a head coaching job, and I'm not even sure they'd want one anyways.

D-Unit 09-20-2006 01:08 PM

He's way too old.

XxXdragonXxX 09-20-2006 01:10 PM

Kiffin has turned down several head coaching offers.

P-L 09-20-2006 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxXdragonXxX

Yep. Teams have tried to get him to coach for years and he's turned down every offer thrown at him.

The Legend 09-20-2006 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxXdragonXxX

Yep. Teams have tried to get him to coach for years and he's turned down every offer thrown at him.

why were they not good or cause he doesnt want to be a head coach

Number 10 09-20-2006 01:21 PM

I don't like the Cover 2. So, no.

bearsfan_51 09-20-2006 01:37 PM

I think the job of a head coach is to be a figurehead and a leader on the team more so than an X's and O's guy (and to have a strong understanding of personal). While I would love Monte as my DC, I'm not crazy about giving a Head Coaching position to guy that seems to possess the personality of a turnip. Look at the people that have worked under him, Lovie Smith and Rod Marinelli. Those two possess the same understanding of the cover 2 defense but seem to have more of the "it" factor than Monte. That being said, he's never actually been a head coach and has turned down multiple offers, so it's hard to say.

bearsfan_51 09-20-2006 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 10

Which is ironic because the Cover 2 would do wonders for the Giants. Your pass rush would make up for your sub-par secondary and ask them to do different things.

NIN1984 09-20-2006 01:55 PM

I always get him as my head coach in Madden

diabsoule 09-20-2006 02:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

JIM BATES!!!

after what u saw bate do with that defence i was shock he didnt

what team is he with now>?

He's not with a team right now. I wanted him to take over the New Orleans vacancy before we hired Sean Payton. Bates is a damn good coach and a great and underrated DC. His players love to play under him, he did a good job as an interim coach in Miami. I'm really suprised he hasn't been offered a HC position anywhere. I think Green Bay really messed up when they picked McCarthy over him.

NGSeiler 09-20-2006 03:16 PM

Pretty sure the Rams wanted to bring him in as a contender for their head coach opening and he turned them down. Seems like he's happy staying as a coordinator.

09-20-2006 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGSeiler
Pretty sure the Rams wanted to bring him in as a contender for their head coach opening and he turned them down. Seems like he's happy staying as a coordinator.

He came to Green Bay so that he'd be the top candidate for the Head Coach job, because as most packer fans knew Sherman wasn't gonna be very long.

It's a shame they didn't give him the job and I thnk he would be a great Head Coach. Though I'm not upset at the McCarthy signing, I'm not excited over it.

Paranoidmoonduck 09-20-2006 07:37 PM

Personally, I'd much rather let Monte dedicate himself to developing a relationship with his defensive players and work out on schemes.

I think he might do an average job as a head coach, but it is obvious that he has great passion for defense and I think he is most at home and in his best form as a d-coordinator.

GB12 09-20-2006 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabsoule
Bates is a damn good coach and a great and underrated DC. His players love to play under him, he did a good job as an interim coach in Miami. I'm really suprised he hasn't been offered a HC position anywhere. I think Green Bay really messed up when they picked McCarthy over him.

I was surprised that Miami didnt give him a chance after He did as interim HC. Then we get him in Green Bay, he's already there all they had to do was promote him. Instead Mike ******* McCarthy. He was a good coach and from what I heard the Players really liked him.

Number 10 09-20-2006 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 10

Which is ironic because the Cover 2 would do wonders for the Giants. Your pass rush would make up for your sub-par secondary and ask them to do different things.

There is no rush up the middle, and our safeties are poor in coverage. None of our LBs can be considered as top notch cover guys as well. If we change, I want the 3-4 but I don't think Strahan would fit into that kind of scheme. Maybe when he retires.

cunningham06 09-20-2006 09:29 PM

I'd take him in a heartbeat, he is brilliant. Monte Kiffin is one of the best defensive coordinators in the league. I like him as a coordinator though, and he obviously enjoys it as well because he has turned down offers for head coaching jobs. I would have liked to see what would happen if he had gone to Detroit to be the head coach, that would be a big test to see if he could turn that defense into something special.

M.O.T.H. 09-21-2006 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit
He's way too old.