Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Warren Sapp: Hall of Famer? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=811)

Windy 10-04-2006 11:04 AM

Warren Sapp: Hall of Famer?

You Decide?

86.5 Career Sacks
1 Championship Ring
etc

draftguru151 10-04-2006 11:06 AM

I think so, he was the best DT in the league for a few years, and he is one of the best at getting after the QB from the DT position.

Basileus777 10-04-2006 11:21 AM

Its possible he may get in eventually, he had a few very dominant years and was part of a superbowl team. He certainly has name recognition as well. I think he should be in more than anyone else on that Tampa team except maybe Brooks. I don't know if he will get in, it isn't easy to tell with defensive players considering the offensive bias of the Hall. Its ridiculous that Lynn Swann is in the hall and Richard Dent isn't.

Nitschke-Hawk 10-04-2006 11:23 AM

If he was 20-30 pounds lighter the last 4 years he would have a better shot case he would play better, I don't think he held up his elite status long enough.

glennjamen3 10-04-2006 11:47 AM

i hope not

therock6000 10-04-2006 11:53 AM

i'm not a big fan of his personality (or the fact he screwed over Cincy before he signed with oakland)...but he was very dominant in the late 90s early 00s...so i guess i think he will

bsaza2358 10-04-2006 11:54 AM

Sapp was a dominant force for 5-7 years from the DT spot. He racked up a large number of sacks and was the center of offensive game planning from a position that generally doesn't get a lot of glory. Even now, on a bad team, he is still pretty effective. He made DT pretty relevant and helped bring the Cover 2 back into vogue with his skill set. I would say Sapp should be in the HoF, but he's not a first balloter.

Splat 10-04-2006 12:08 PM

Maybe if he can get up to 100 sacks pretty sure his mouth with keep him from being a first ballot HOF.

Nitschke-Hawk 10-04-2006 12:24 PM

And the cheapshot on Clifton, he's lucky it didn't end his career, his pelvic bones completely knocked out of place or something like that.

RyanLeaf#1 10-04-2006 12:30 PM

No way

P-L 10-04-2006 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitschke-Hawk
And the cheapshot on Clifton, he's lucky it didn't end his career, his pelvic bones completely knocked out of place or something like that.

That was a legal block. :?

Jughead10 10-04-2006 01:02 PM

He is a definate hall of famer.

Splat 10-04-2006 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitschke-Hawk

That was a legal block. :?

It was a cheap shot.

bearsfan_51 10-04-2006 01:28 PM

He absolutely is.

High number of Pro-Bowls.

Superbowl Championship.

Impact player.

That's the formula.

Shiver 10-04-2006 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
He absolutely is.

Superbowl Championship.

Impact player.

Defensive Player of the Year: 1999

That's the formula.

:wink:

Ward 10-04-2006 01:31 PM

Can you tell the story of the NFL without Warren Sapp? In my opinion, no. He should be in.

bearsfan_51 10-04-2006 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiver
Quote:

He absolutely is.

Superbowl Championship.

Impact player.

Defensive Player of the Year: 1999

That's the formula.

:wink:

Yup.

Here's the benchmark.

Have you been to at least or close to 8 Pro Bowls?

Have you won a championship and been on consistantly good teams?

Did you win an MVP award?

Has your presence in the league somehow changed the way the game is played?

bearsfan_51 10-04-2006 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ward
Can you tell the story of the NFL without Warren Sapp? In my opinion, no. He should be in.

I hear that a lot but I'm not sure how valid that is. Can you tell the story of the NFL without Phil Simms? Does that make him a HOF? There are lots of important players that aren't necessarily elite players.

Ward 10-04-2006 01:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I hear that a lot but I'm not sure how valid that is. Can you tell the story of the NFL without Phil Simms? Does that make him a HOF? There are lots of important players that aren't necessarily elite players.

Hell yes you can tell the story without Phil Simms. The important figures on that team were Parcells, LT, and arguably Harry Carson.

Jughead10 10-04-2006 01:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hell yes you can tell the story without Phil Simms. The important figures on that team were Parcells, LT, and arguably Harry Carson.

This is true. The only thing Phil really has going for him is that he basically had the Don Larson no hitter in the World Series, except in the Super Bowl.

Ward 10-04-2006 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jughead10
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is true. The only thing Phil really has going for him is that he basically had the Don Larson no hitter in the World Series, except in the Super Bowl.

The question "Can you tell the story of the NFL without this person?" is the only reason Joe Namath is in the HOF in the first place. If it weren't for Namath, there would be no NFL. But look at his numbers, they're ATROCIOUS.

LonghornsLegend 10-04-2006 02:25 PM

i would like to see brooks, sapp, and rice all make it in eventually...

yourfavestoner 10-04-2006 02:31 PM

Yes, he makes it easily, for all the reasons Ward and Bearsfan already said.

The guy was the centerpiece on one of the most consistently good defenses of our era.

Shiver 10-04-2006 02:34 PM

The 1999 Bucs defense was awesome. They shut down the "greatest show on turf" in their stadium, in the NFCCG, without any offensive support to speak of.

Ravens1991 10-04-2006 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamonceTaylorThaGreat
i would like to see brooks, sapp, and rice all make it in eventually...

I think all 3 may. About DT does anybody think if Sam Adams has a chance to be a HOF?