Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Should Al Davis retire? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840)

10-15-2006 09:19 PM

Should Al Davis retire?

IMO one of the biggest reasons the raiders are bad is because of Al Davis, he doesnt like drafting QBs in round 1 but thats what they need. It just seems to me that alot of the raiders failure is because of how he manages the team. And his "Committed to Excelence" and "Win at any cost" mottos aren't working anymore.

It also seems like he isn't in very good health, they showed him earlier in the SNF game and he just looks really bad. I also heard that they almost sold the team to someone else because Al Davis was really sick in the off-season but i think that was just a rumor.

draftguru151 10-15-2006 09:23 PM

Football is the guys life, he owns the team he can do whatever he wants with them. Yes it would be better for the Raiders, but would it be better for Al Davis?

cgf 10-15-2006 09:24 PM

The raiders suck because their oline is garbage and they don't have a good oline coach to motivate guys like Gallery and Grove who actually have talent but it's been squandered.

10-15-2006 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draftguru151
Football is the guys life, he owns the team he can do whatever he wants with them. Yes it would be better for the Raiders, but would it be better for Al Davis?

probaly not but i just think the guy manages the team worked in the 80s and whatnot but not in todays game.

Windy 10-15-2006 09:27 PM

Its the o-line thats losing the games. The only time you see flashes of decent play by walter is when the line steps up. Which is usually once or twice a game :?

Dam8610 10-15-2006 09:30 PM

Owners can't retire. He should sell the team, because he's running it into the ground, but he won't.

smittyjs 10-15-2006 09:32 PM

The raiders should have hired me when they had a chance............

RCAChainGang 10-15-2006 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610
Owners can't retire. He should sell the team, because he's running it into the ground, but he won't.

Agreed.

Kurve 10-15-2006 09:32 PM

Al will never retire period .....the day a new owner will come into play is when Al passes sad to say but its true. The day raiders get a new owner raiders will win again al is very stubborn he likes certain type of coachs and certain type of players he doesnt like trying new things when he did they won (hiring of Gruden). This team definatly was once a proud organization and in the last few years its ruining its legacy which is very sad.

slightlyaraiderfan 10-15-2006 10:08 PM

Retire? :roll:

Anyways, where is the Bruce for OROY thread?

10-15-2006 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillaraiderfan

retire/sell w/e same thing.

Basileus777 10-15-2006 10:21 PM

Quote:

I believe Darko is on the Trueblood for OROY bandwagon now. :D

10-15-2006 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777
Quote:

where did i say he should win OROY?

Windy 10-15-2006 10:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

haha :lol:

Iamcanadian 10-15-2006 10:26 PM

In the past Davis could hire yes HC's because he worked closely with them and was the defacto HC. His health doesn't permit that anymore and his HC's are on their own. However, Al cann ot stop interfering even though he can no longer take an active part in player training.
Yes, he needs to retire from the dat to day decisions of the team and turn the operation over to a competent GM. As long as he is running the ship, the young bright minds coming up in pro football won't work for him. That has become pretty obvious.
It is a sad end to a great football mind and Oakland will continue to pay the price until he steps aside.

10-15-2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windy City Big Gamer Uno
Quote:

Quote:

haha :lol:

hah-hah. :roll:

Paranoidmoonduck 10-15-2006 10:33 PM

No, the reason the Raiders suck has absolutely nothing to do with Al Davis' refusal to draft QBs in the 1st round. It has all to do with an incompetent coaching staffs and him undermining his head coaches.

As for him not being right in the head and all, his speech for Madden at Canton was awesome and apparently he gave the best speech at meetings designed to deem a new commish.

I thinkAl Davis should sell the team because he has done a lot of things to disrespect the fans, not because of any draft preference.

nobodyinparticular 10-15-2006 11:28 PM

Re: Should Al Davis retire?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darko
IMO one of the biggest reasons the raiders are bad is because of Al Davis, he doesnt like drafting QBs in round 1 but thats what they need. It just seems to me that alot of the raiders failure is because of how he manages the team. And his "Committed to Excelence" and "Win at any cost" mottos aren't working anymore.

It also seems like he isn't in very good health, they showed him earlier in the SNF game and he just looks really bad. I also heard that they almost sold the team to someone else because Al Davis was really sick in the off-season but i think that was just a rumor.

Check it out. First round QBs, huh? That's what the Raiders need? How about the fact that over 50% of 1st round QBs are busts?

Tim Couch
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Todd Marinovich
Ryan Leaf
Patrick Ramsey
Cade McNown

And on the cusp with JP Losman, Kyle Boller and dare I say David Carr.

Whereas, we look at some of the better QBs in the NFL and I think they would have something to say about having to be a first rounder to be a good QB in the league in recent years.

Just ask:
Jake Delhomme an undrafted free agent
Matt Hasselbeck a 5th rounder
Marc Bulger a 6th rounder
Tom Brady a 6th rounder
Trent Green an 8th rounder
Kurt Warner an undrafted free agent

Between them, they have 4 of the last 7 Super Bowls and another one of those belongs to Brad Johnson, a former 9th rounder himself. Of the last 7 Super Bowls, only 2 have been won by former 1st round draft picks (and one of those is Trent Dilfer who hardly won that 2001 Super Bowl himself). To top it off, of the 14 participating starting QBs in the Super Bowls since 1999, only 5 of them have been 1st rounders.

Those are Trent Dilfer, Ben Roethlisberger, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair and Kerry Collins. That means 9 of the QBs were non-1st round picks.

That includes:
Jake Delhomme (once)
Tom Brady (three times)
Kurt Warner (twice)
Matt Hasselbeck (once)
Rich Gannon (a 4th rounder, once)
Brad Johnson (once)

I think you really need to re-think that assumption that you have to draft a 1st round QB to be successful. Because isn't the Super Bowl what it's all about, and apparently, 1st rounders don't get there very often, now do they?

Windy 10-15-2006 11:30 PM

NIP BUMPED A NUGGET. HE THREW A ROCK. NIP OWNS ALL

10-15-2006 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular
Quote:

Check it out. First round QBs, huh? That's what the Raiders need? How about the fact that over 50% of 1st round QBs are busts?

Tim Couch
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Todd Marinovich
Ryan Leaf
Patrick Ramsey
Cade McNown

And on the cusp with JP Losman, Kyle Boller and dare I say David Carr.

Whereas, we look at some of the better QBs in the NFL and I think they would have something to say about having to be a first rounder to be a good QB in the league in recent years.

Just ask:
Jake Delhomme an undrafted free agent
Matt Hasselbeck a 5th rounder
Marc Bulger a 6th rounder
Tom Brady a 6th rounder
Trent Green an 8th rounder
Kurt Warner an undrafted free agent

Between them, they have 4 of the last 7 Super Bowls and another one of those belongs to Brad Johnson, a former 9th rounder himself. Of the last 7 Super Bowls, only 2 have been won by former 1st round draft picks (and one of those is Trent Dilfer who hardly won that 2001 Super Bowl himself). To top it off, of the 14 participating starting QBs in the Super Bowls since 1999, only 5 of them have been 1st rounders.

Those are Trent Dilfer, Ben Roethlisberger, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair and Kerry Collins. That means 9 of the QBs were non-1st round picks.

That includes:
Jake Delhomme (once)
Tom Brady (three times)
Kurt Warner (twice)
Matt Hasselbeck (once)
Rich Gannon (a 4th rounder, once)
Brad Johnson (once)

I think you really need to re-think that assumption that you have to draft a 1st round QB to be successful. Because isn't the Super Bowl what it's all about, and apparently, 1st rounders don't get there very often, now do they?

I didnt say that you have to draft a 1st round QB to be successful, yea some have been busts. But look how many have been good.

njx9 10-15-2006 11:43 PM

Quote:

stuff about qbs

you know this would be a 5-0 team if you guys had drafted leinart.

nobodyinparticular 10-15-2006 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:

stuff about qbs

:cry: STOP IT!!!! NOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

10-15-2006 11:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

stuff about qbs

and whys that? I never said they would be alot better with a 1st round QB...

njx9 10-15-2006 11:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

stuff about qbs

:cry: STOP IT!!!! NOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

i had to, the opportunity was golden.

njx9 10-15-2006 11:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

stuff about qbs

and whys that? I never said they would be alot better with a 1st round QB...

because the thought makes NIP and sarf nuts. it also caused several long diatribes on the mock draft board from raiders fans in the offseason. and i delight in their misery.