Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Marvin Lewis Right or Wrong? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860)

D-Unit 10-24-2006 04:06 AM

Marvin Lewis Right or Wrong?

Quote:

The Associated Press reports Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis has told WR Chad Johnson he wants no more celebrating or gloating. The disappointed Johnson said, "So therefore, what you see from me is what he wants -- just make your plays and go back to the huddle. So that's what I'm going to do. Going to be no more talking, no nothing. Just go out there and play, go home. If that's what it takes to make us a better team, so be it." When asked if he the gag order included touchdown celebrations, Johnson nodded and said, "Very lame, isn't it?"

yourfavestoner 10-24-2006 04:13 AM

Obviously, Lewis feels that Johnson's antics have gotten to a point where he believe that it's a distraction. If Johnson loses his motivation simply because he can't celebrate, than that shows you what type of player he really is.

njx9 10-24-2006 10:12 AM

maybe he'd, you know, like johnson to actually score this season (yeah yeah, he's got one receiving touchdown, great. so does brandon marshall) before he starts worrying about what to do once he does score.

on a sidenote, i'd love to see johnson's "list" this year.

Jughead10 10-24-2006 10:16 AM

Lewis probably just feels if he can nip a very small distraction from one of the teams leaders, it will go a long way in possibly changing the culture of that team.

Nitschke-Hawk 10-24-2006 10:46 AM

So let me get this straight, he's worried more about this than all of his players legal issues? :roll:

PalmerToCJ 10-24-2006 10:56 AM

I don't get why people even consider how he's handled the off field issues. Everyone neglects to mention that he's imposed a total of 3 games worth of suspension for Chris Henry thus far, Duane Clemons gets busted by the league drug policy then when he comes back he gets cut, Marvin/Mike Brown lobbied to have Odell suspended for the year, Rucker was placed on IR because of his upcoming issues from '04. He's handled all of this wonderfully and the "legal issues" only effected two significant players on this team.

As for Chad, I can understand where he is coming from and I'm not one to get into the celebrations and what not but I think he should just let Chad be a little more vocal. Chad loves the attention but I'm sure much of this came following the struggles of the offense and Marvin basically telling him to just shut up and play. I wouldn't doubt as the offensive swagger returns that Chad will be allowed to go back to his old self.

There is no culture to change in Cincinnati either, you're taking the media's bait...

Jughead10 10-24-2006 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ
I don't get why people even consider how he's handled the off field issues. Everyone neglects to mention that he's imposed a total of 3 games worth of suspension for Chris Henry thus far, Duane Clemons gets busted by the league drug policy then when he comes back he gets cut, Marvin/Mike Brown lobbied to have Odell suspended for the year, Rucker was placed on IR because of his upcoming issues from '04. He's handled all of this wonderfully and the "legal issues" only effected two significant players on this team.

As for Chad, I can understand where he is coming from and I'm not one to get into the celebrations and what not but I think he should just let Chad be a little more vocal. Chad loves the attention but I'm sure much of this came following the struggles of the offense and Marvin basically telling him to just shut up and play. I wouldn't doubt as the offensive swagger returns that Chad will be allowed to go back to his old self.

There is no culture to change in Cincinnati either, you're taking the media's bait...

Sure Marvin is suspending these guys, which he should, but the players are still going out and getting in trouble. Attempting to change the culture is to get these players to realize their accountability and stop getting arrested. That and stop drafting troublesome players.

stephenson86 10-24-2006 12:35 PM

he just wants more appropriate conduct from him, gloating isnt great and over celebrating is highly enforced

LonghornsLegend 10-24-2006 01:12 PM

why does marvin care, he has bigger worries on that team, last year it didnt cause a problem to the team or the league, not like he draws negative attention like TO, some things are good for the game...

i agree if chad cant play well just because he cant do what he wants to do, that shows what type of player he is, but thats not the case, he played great last game, and will continue to do so....but i think he has played long enough, and earned the coaches respect to do what he does so i think its wrong, let him do what he does best, it doesnt hurt the team one bit, you were actually better off last year

jackalope 10-24-2006 06:03 PM

i understand it after plays but i think he should still be alowed to do TD celebrations.

SeanTaylorRIP 10-24-2006 06:05 PM

He has nothing to worry about CJ won't be in the endzone any time soon.

soybean 10-24-2006 06:12 PM

chad has brought more fun media and fans to the bengals than any other player has. espn and all those others write articles and stuff about what he does on the field. what he does brings fans more than winning. i are gonna argue that last point but take this into account. did anyone care when the patriots were winning all their superbowls? do more people like chad johnson or a quieter more productive marvin harrison? let him do what he wants to do and the bengals will get so much more in return.

and it's dumb for the nfl to try to convert what the nfl is today to what it was back then. it's not gonna happen. why not try to get rid of rap while you're at it.

Shiver 10-24-2006 06:13 PM

He should be more concerned about figuring out how his run defense that is bottom of the league, can handle the Falcons WCO / Urban Meyer offense this sunday.

jkpigskin 10-24-2006 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitschke-Hawk
So let me get this straight, he's worried more about this than all of his players legal issues? :roll:

i would like to know that too.........

Jonathan_VIlma 10-24-2006 08:40 PM

When it's a close game, the celebrations are stupid. I understand that it's bad when your killing an opponent, because that rubs it in, but it's not like Johnson dominated that game.

derza222 10-24-2006 08:46 PM

I kind of think Marvin should let Chad be Chad, no off the field issues and it makes the game a lot more fun to watch. Not like they were having any problems playing last year when Chad was celebrating during games, they won the division.

njx9 10-24-2006 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soybean
chad has brought more fun media and fans to the bengals than any other player has. espn and all those others write articles and stuff about what he does on the field. what he does brings fans more than winning. i are gonna argue that last point but take this into account. did anyone care when the patriots were winning all their superbowls? do more people like chad johnson or a quieter more productive marvin harrison? let him do what he wants to do and the bengals will get so much more in return.

like what? ONE touchdown? fat lot of good his celebrations have done the team this year. :roll:

PalmerToCJ 10-24-2006 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derza222
I kind of think Marvin should let Chad be Chad, no off the field issues and it makes the game a lot more fun to watch. Not like they were having any problems playing last year when Chad was celebrating during games, they won the division.

I kind of agree with your statement. Following last week though the offense is regaining its swagger and it is gonna be hard to quiet Chad.

Marvin doesn't get mad at him about this, he just constantly gets on him to let him know that it's not exactly the best route in his mind.

Chad gave this team a personality, I don't think this will last that much longer.

ShutDwn 10-24-2006 08:59 PM

Maybe Lewis should focus on not drafting people with moral issues instead of someone just having innocent fun.

This is a dumbass move by Lewis. Johnson isn't exactly overflowing with confidence right now, and this will only worsen that.

PalmerToCJ 10-24-2006 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutDwn
Maybe Lewis should focus on not drafting people with moral issues instead of someone just having innocent fun.

This is a dumbass move by Lewis. Johnson isn't exactly overflowing with confidence right now, and this will only worsen that.

:roll:

Wow.

Staubach12 10-24-2006 09:11 PM

I don't like Marvin anymore.

rickscott 10-24-2006 09:29 PM

Chad says he had no gag order from Marvin. He also says that it's ben boring while he has calmed down so it's all changing this week vs Atl. and as Chad says...DeAngelo Fall, not Hall.

PalmerToCJ 10-24-2006 09:34 PM

It's going to be impossible for Chad to be quiet this week, he's had the matchup with Hall circled on his calendar since the schedule came out. His list also has the Falcons listed in red because of Hall.

Staubach12 10-24-2006 09:36 PM

Marvin talked about it in a press conference...

He didn't look happy.

PalmerToCJ 10-24-2006 09:40 PM

You all are getting entirely too worked up over this.

Quote:

After hearing that SI deemed him cover worthy, Johnson exclaimed Tuesday, “Wednesday? That’s funny because that’s when I’m going to go back to being my old self.”