Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Houston Texans Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Houston Texans Discussion (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=915)

Scott Wright 11-09-2006 09:28 AM

Houston Texans Discussion

Discuss the Texans here.

Scott Wright 11-09-2006 09:29 PM

Let's get this thread heated up.

Here's a topic to discuss:

What is the Texans #1 need going into next offseason?

11-09-2006 09:37 PM

Are you guys ready to lose...

11-11-2006 01:32 AM

I've officially posted here more than any Texan fan... hooray.

Grid 11-11-2006 02:50 AM

Texans have so many needs but most pressing has to be Free Safety. I have tried to put them in order as I see it. Texans are quite satisfied with Spencer at LT. It a shame he got injured but Texans are very high on him.

1. Free Safety
2. CB who can play across DRob
3. OLB
4. RB
5. DT

gunn 11-11-2006 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grid
Texans have so many needs but most pressing has to be Free Safety. I have tried to put them in order as I see it. Texans are quite satisfied with Spencer at LT. It a shame he got injured but Texans are very high on him.

1. Free Safety
3. OLB
4. RB
5. DT

I'd say that is a pretty accurate assessment. I think any of those positions could be interchangable in terms of value as well.

I think a darkhorse pick that we could make that may shock some people would be Brian Leonard. He he is tailormade for our offense, and judging by what I've seen of his role at Rutgers, his transition to Kubiak's offense would be a seamless one. I don't know where he'll end up being projected, but if we can make a play at him with a decent position (without reaching too far) don't be suprised by the Texans calling his name come next April.

gunn 11-11-2006 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagfan33

Prior to the start of the season I had each of the home teams winning the match-ups in this series. But you just never know which schizo Jacksonville team is going to show up. Mentally frail teams should avoid guaranteeing wins so they don't end up with egg on their face.

5-4 series lead in favor of Houston. Here's to extending that lead come Sunday.

datchapin 11-11-2006 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagfan33

:shock: Look here Mr. Taylor you shouldn't go around guaranteeing victories on any m..... Say aren't you the guy that was wearing the David Carr is my daddy and you openly admitted the Colts were superior sigs? :P To answer your question... ELL NAH!! We're gonna go in and make Jacksonville our home away from home. Whose house? TEXAN'S HOUSE!!!!!! Prepare for another embarrasing loss.... Muahahahahahahaha!!!

datchapin 11-11-2006 07:16 PM

Quote:

1. Free Safety
3. OLB
4. RB
5. DT

I would say 1 and 2 are interchangeable. This is the way I see it though, get a good ball hawking FS and that makes life easier on the CB's so if you land a Landry or R. Nelson then I think CB drops in necessity. If you get a great CB then it should take some pressure off the FS so we wouldn't have to live with a pressing need there. That's how I think it is.

Moving on totally agree on OLB help. I mean Greenwood is Okay at WLB, but he needs to work alot on shedding his blocks so he can make the play and on the strong side we need a LB that can play both the run and pass well. Orr is bad in coverage as was evidenced by the game winning TD he gave up to Shockey. Even though I think Wong would be an upgrade I believe we would be better off upgrading at either side.

DT.... My god we had all these DT's at the beginning of the season and know we're signing FA DT's to get by. That's just not right. Also I'm really disappointed in TJ (Last yr's pick.) He should be our anchor in the middle yet it feels like everybody that's come in has been able to outproduce him or do better on the field guy needs to step up, but even if he doesn't we need a real tackle in the middle to make life easier for everybody else.

Lastly I think we need OL depth. We can get guards in the later rds. and I like Hodgdon, but we need more depth at Tackle and Guards. McKinney and Weigart are getting real long on the tooth as well as Salaam, hopefully we find the quality guys we need in this yr's draft.

datchapin 11-11-2006 07:24 PM

Man, I just couldn't stand to see a Jag fan as the most frequent poster so I'm just gonna have to keep posting. Lol, J/K. What does everybody think of Lundy. I think he's been sporadic so far some games he shows incredible talent and then he seems to revert back to sucking. Not saying he sucks, but he's had his bad moments where he'll hesitate and get taken down. Ala R. Bush right now I don't think we need a 1st rd. rb, but that greatly depends on Lundy's performance in the second half. Do you guys think he'll step it up? I hope so. (I got faith GS just trying to get some opinions.) Also any thoughts on Gado, I'm still puzzled as to why he doesn't get a bigger role. Dayne sucks and Gado can't.. I repeat, CAN'T be worse than Dayne.

datchapin 11-12-2006 01:49 PM

IT'S GAMEDAY BABY!! TEXANS IS GONNA WRECK THE JAG'S TODAY!!!!! WOHHOOO!!! GO TEXANS!!!

datchapin 11-12-2006 01:49 PM

Wow, it's so empty in here. echo. echo echo.

datchapin 11-12-2006 01:59 PM

Kalif Barnes is inactive for this game. That's one of their starting tackles. I think it stems from a DUI arrest that happened (Don't hold me to this) Last night. This should be a great opportunity for us to exploit his backup. Hopefully this will make the win easier. Mario and our other ends should have a really productive game. Thoughts?

primetime0506 11-12-2006 11:23 PM

hell yea we won swept the jags and that fan can shut his mouth gado played good 2 day hope carr is alright and hopefully we can beat the bills next week and FS is a need we should traded up 4 sean taylor like every thought we would

America 11-12-2006 11:39 PM

I don't like Carr being injured. Good win, running game was bad though, too bad. Dre needs the ball more.

marks01234 11-12-2006 11:43 PM

Big win. How'd Mario look? I'm an NC guy here so the Texans are never on :( Next year I'm definately getting the gameday package and my gf will just have to live with it. Hopefully Mario got some good pressure on Garrard.

I like Lundy a lot and think that next year we will have an excellent one-two punch with him and Davis. No way I would go RB in round one espically because it seems that value can often be found after the first round (Jones-Drew, Leon Washington, Lundy, etc) None of the latest batch of top ten picks (Bush, Brown, Cadillac, Benson) have exceeded expectations either.

Grid 11-13-2006 01:39 AM

Agree #1 & 2 are interchangeable. I really don't know what the salary cap situation is with the team but it would be nice if we were able to sign stud CB and OLB during free agency period. This could really accelerate our team growth with another great draft class next year similar to what it was this year. Then we can focus on drafting FS, DT, RB, OC and basically trying to fix over all team depth.

For the amount of money we are paying Morlon Greenwood, he really hasn't done much and should be let go next year. Other players who might not make the team next year could be Seth Payne (due to health reason), Kailee Wong, Zach Weigert and Steve Mckinney.

Grid 11-13-2006 09:43 AM

Scott, I know its only week 9, but the Texans have obvious holes, this is what has to happen in order for Texans to become competitive or even dominant team in very near future.

1. Franchise RB
The Texans have never had one, and is a key to the offense. Lundy is good, but like DD will never be able to carry the whole load. A Clinton Portis like back would be a boom for the offense. IMO, either Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch (cal) in the draft or maybe a young vet, like Michael Turner

2. Dominate Safety
The biggest hole in the D is now at safety. Both of them are horrible. Look how guys like Ed Reed or Polumalu can lead a Defense.

3. Run Stopping DT
The Texans have solid ends, but the tackle position is a huge hole, with Payne out and T. Johnson turning into a bust. If you think Ryans plays good now, stick a big body or two in front of him and let him wreck shop. A Shuan Rodgers or Casey Hampton clone would do wonders.

4. O-Line
The biggest knocking point of the Texans since the beginning, A few key vets would be the key to improving, with maybe a good rookie to develop. Tackle is the biggest need

If there is a top 5 pick (which I imagine the Texans will have). I hope it isn't wasted on an O-Lineman. Second rounders have generally turned out better (Unless they have Pace/Hutchinson talent). Vet O-Line is the best way to go anyways.

RB or Safety should be the first pick, unless there is a great DT available.

See how Carr does in year - They need a QB who can deliver more then 4 wins a season. Jury is still out on Carr but one thing is very clear me that he is not a franchise type QB like Payton Manning, Carson palmer, Tom Brady or Phillip River.

At LB - Brian Urlacher clone would be nice

gunn 11-13-2006 11:06 AM

Tackle is now very thin with Weigert going down for the year with a torn ACL. Now it's Winstons time to shine. Winston has impressed in the limited time he has been on the field including getting a huge push on the 4th down call that sealed the victory for us yesterday.

Peek also went down yesterday with a sprained MCL.

primetime0506 11-13-2006 03:21 PM

all those qb's you just sayed have great talent around them and it is vetern talent at that we dont have that xept 4 eric moulds and carr is getting better each week we really need a playmaker at either olb of Saftey prob saftey they should throw big money at lance briggs this offseason and trade up for calvin johnson because moulds is getting old and Johnson would be what this offense need and saftey can be found in round 2 with merriweather becasue his involvemtn in the fight dropped him but he is still at top 20 talent

datchapin 11-13-2006 05:06 PM

I think we need to make signing a solid DT a FA priority this off-season. Even if we do draft a good DT having two guys that can be effective in the middle will really help out. Our current DT's aren't starting quality and some of our DE's seem to fit better there than our DT's. That's never a good sign. Also signing a good DT relieves pressure from having to draft a DT in the first or second rd.

Ravens1991 11-13-2006 05:08 PM

how is Travis Johnson doing with you guys.

datchapin 11-13-2006 06:07 PM

Not good. The guy is barely making plays or getting good push on the line. He's easily pushed to the outside on pass plays opening huge holes for the QB to run through. I dunno the guy runs his mouth more than his motor. He's not living up to 1st rd. potential and suffered a calf injury that could have him out for a while. Other than that he's doing well.

datchapin 11-13-2006 06:27 PM

Quote:

Scott, I know its only week 9, but the Texans have obvious holes, this is what has to happen in order for Texans to become competitive or even dominant team in very near future.

1. Franchise RB
The Texans have never had one, and is a key to the offense. Lundy is good, but like DD will never be able to carry the whole load. A Clinton Portis like back would be a boom for the offense. IMO, either Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch (cal) in the draft or maybe a young vet, like Michael Turner

2. Dominate Safety
The biggest hole in the D is now at safety. Both of them are horrible. Look how guys like Ed Reed or Polumalu can lead a Defense.

3. Run Stopping DT
The Texans have solid ends, but the tackle position is a huge hole, with Payne out and T. Johnson turning into a bust. If you think Ryans plays good now, stick a big body or two in front of him and let him wreck shop. A Shuan Rodgers or Casey Hampton clone would do wonders.

4. O-Line
The biggest knocking point of the Texans since the beginning, A few key vets would be the key to improving, with maybe a good rookie to develop. Tackle is the biggest need

If there is a top 5 pick (which I imagine the Texans will have). I hope it isn't wasted on an O-Lineman. Second rounders have generally turned out better (Unless they have Pace/Hutchinson talent). Vet O-Line is the best way to go anyways.

RB or Safety should be the first pick, unless there is a great DT available.

See how Carr does in year - They need a QB who can deliver more then 4 wins a season. Jury is still out on Carr but one thing is very clear me that he is not a franchise type QB like Payton Manning, Carson palmer, Tom Brady or Phillip River.

At LB - Brian Urlacher clone would be nice

1. I'm sorry I gotta disagree. While getting a RB in the first rd. would be the sexy pick I don't think it's a first rd. pick for us. A. P. runs like E. Campbell, except he doesn't have the same size or phisical attributes. The way he runs I just can't see him being healthy for long. DD looked like a franchise back before his injuries. Also Gado is a beast in waiting. Lundy has to step up again, but even if he doesn't we got Taylor and a complimentary back would be more suitable for us. It's sexy to have a franchise back, but the bottom line is the rushing production and most teams are realizing that tandems are very effective. Broncos, Giants, Falcons, Chargers, so forth and so on are now working with tandems. We should follow suit and address our biggest holes in the 1st rd.

2. One could make the argument that DT is our biggest hole on D, because honestly right now our DT's suck balls. However I do agree that a ball hawking safety would make life alot easier for our team. Man, maybe I'm a little bias, but I would really love to land Landry.

3. Agreed DT is a big need, even with a healthy TJ and Payne this position could use an upgrade.

4. Yeah, I agree to an extent, but not on tackle being our biggest need. Winston has looked good and Spencer looked real good. While this position may be taken earlier I think our line is starting to get solid and our biggest need would be depth. A tackle to back up Winston and Spencer and also a guard to back up Pitts and Weary. Center shouldn't be drafted, maybe an undrafted FA, but Hodgdon looks solid behind Flannagan and Mike should have at least another good yr. in him.

1st rd. should be used on defense. Take your pick on position because they could all be upgraded.

D. Carr has shown vast improvement and I think he can become that franchise QB. Different opinions, but that's just mine.

Ryans is a good MLB, I'd much rather have a Merriman clone (without steroids.) Cuz we need OLB help.

datchapin 11-13-2006 09:58 PM

Antwan Peek's out 2-4 weeks. Is he gonna be back next yr. He was signed to a 1 yr. tender. Thoughts?