Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   League MVP Reevaluated (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=966)

bigbluedefense 11-20-2006 09:13 AM

League MVP Reevaluated
 
Who do you think it is? I think Ladanian Tomlinson is clearly the number 1 candidate. Peyton is always a candidate, but LT has been unreal this year. He has what, 24 TDs on the season already??? Thats insane. He can do everything. The ultimate weapon.

If Romo plays like this all season, he deserves candidacy because that Dallas team doesn't make the playoffs with Bledsoe.

I still think Drew Brees is a candidate.

Not many standout names. The NFL is such a crapshoot the past 2 years.

NOTE: I did not add Romo to the list for 2 reasons.

1. He's still unproven
2. It would ruin the poll for obvious reasons.

Ravens1991 11-20-2006 09:17 AM

My order

Tomlinson
Manning
Brees
Johnson

MaxV 11-20-2006 09:40 AM

I voted for Peyton for homer reasons, but I agree that LT is the favorite right now.

The Great Jonathan Vilma 11-20-2006 09:42 AM

watching LT do what he's doing makes this an easy decision for me

Tubby 11-20-2006 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tubby
Theres a difference between most valuable player and offensive player of the year, which people dont realize. Most valuable player means that that person is more essential to their team than any other player. Offensive player of the year is just the best offensive player. Sure, LDT has better stats, but without Manning, the colts go 0-16 with Jim Sorgi at QB. Without LDT, the Chargers can still fall back on Michael Turner, who has excelled in the backup RB role. Thats why I say Manning.


11-20-2006 09:52 AM

I voted for LT, but i think Julius Peppers should get some serious consideration.

Peppers already has 12 (i think) sacks and has been unstoppable. He has single-handedly taken over games and proven he is one of the the top 3 players in the league. However, the MVP award is kind of like the heisman, nearly impossible for defensive players to win. Maybe if the Panthers let him line up at TE or something and let him get some TDs.

MaxV 11-20-2006 09:57 AM

I agree that Manning is MUCH more valuable to the Colts then LT is to the Chargers(partially because Turner is pretty good also), but the way LT's playing right now, he's head and shoulders above everyone else.

Splat 11-20-2006 09:59 AM

LT it is not even close and I'am a Chiefs fan.

bigbluedefense 11-20-2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tubby
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tubby
Theres a difference between most valuable player and offensive player of the year, which people dont realize. Most valuable player means that that person is more essential to their team than any other player. Offensive player of the year is just the best offensive player. Sure, LDT has better stats, but without Manning, the colts go 0-16 with Jim Sorgi at QB. Without LDT, the Chargers can still fall back on Michael Turner, who has excelled in the backup RB role. Thats why I say Manning.


Thats not an entirely accurate approach to take. The same can be said of Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Donovann McNabb, and even Jake Dellhomme. By that implication all are more valuable than LT. Its also unfair to do that type of evaluation because losing a starting qb is always a bigger blow to a team compared to losing a starting RB, its just the nature of the game. Losing Brad Johnson is a bigger impact than losing LT. Does that make Brad Johnson a more viable MVP candidate? Clearly not.

moc182 11-20-2006 10:25 AM

It's a two horse race, and I'd give Manning the slightest of edges over LT.

njx9 11-20-2006 12:03 PM

it's a tough one this year. manning's stats may be down, but he is almost certainly the only reason the colts are the best team in the AFC. he's pulled them out of games they had no business winning and, for the most part, made every single play he needed to make to win games. i'm not sure this team is 9-1 with most other starting quarterbacks in the league, let alone jim sorgi.

on the other hand, tomlinson may be having one of the best single seasons ever by a running back. he has been nothing short of incredible. the only drawback i see here is how well turner's performed when given the chance. is it tomlinson, or is it the team (i'm *not* saying LT's talentless or anything else ridiculous)?

i'f i'm giving the award, today, it's probably tomlinson by a whisker.

Moses 11-20-2006 12:07 PM

If Tomlinson doesn't win the MVP, what else would he have to do to win it? He's having one of the best seasons of all-time for a runningback.

Geo 11-20-2006 12:19 PM

Let's give some love to other candidates, especially LJ.

The losses he's suffered on his OL including a first-ballot Hall of Fame LT right before preseason, his offensive coordinator, his Pro Bowl-level quarterback for half the season, and so on and so on - and he's still beastly.

He's carrying a workload that could endanger his career (I fear) because the Chiefs have no one else, and he's keeping them in the playoff race.

thule 11-20-2006 12:22 PM

If we are throwing out names...I would throw out Carson Palmer and Steve Smith....likely 4 and 5 in the voting...but Carson has really improved the second part of this year. Steve Smith is well Steve Smith....

LT
Peyton
Peppers
Carson
Smith

duckseason 11-20-2006 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tubby
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tubby
Theres a difference between most valuable player and offensive player of the year, which people dont realize. Most valuable player means that that person is more essential to their team than any other player. Offensive player of the year is just the best offensive player. Sure, LDT has better stats, but without Manning, the colts go 0-16 with Jim Sorgi at QB. Without LDT, the Chargers can still fall back on Michael Turner, who has excelled in the backup RB role. Thats why I say Manning.


Quote:

Originally Posted by duckseason
No. You're wrong. It's not called "The most valuable player to his team award".
Think of Tomlinson and Peyton as diamonds. Who's shining brighter right now?
And the players' respective backups should have nothing to do with the equation.
Also, to say that the Colts are a no-win team without Peyton is just ridiculous.

val‧u‧a‧ble  /ˈvælyuəbəl, -yəbəl/ Pronunciation
–adjective
1. having considerable monetary worth; costing or bringing a high price: a valuable painting; a valuable crop.
2. having qualities worthy of respect, admiration, or esteem: a valuable friend.
3. of considerable use, service, or importance: valuable information.
–noun
4. Usually, valuables. articles of considerable value, as of personal property, esp. those of relatively small size


PalmerToCJ 11-20-2006 12:33 PM

1. LT



2. Everyone else. Not close at all. How can a RB have more TD's than a QB does passing TD's and not get the (big) advantage?

portermvp84 11-20-2006 01:33 PM

It should be LT, but i could see Manning getting it for the third straight year.

Geo 11-20-2006 01:38 PM

Shaun Alexander won last year.

SeanTaylorRIP 11-20-2006 01:43 PM

LT there is no second or third he's 1,2, and 3.

TitleTown088 11-20-2006 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghettosermon
LT there is no second or third he's 1,2, and 3.

i agree he's sooo good.

SeanTaylorRIP 11-20-2006 02:08 PM

Has 23 TD's currently 10 games in, Alexander has the record of 28, LT will easily break that and rush for around 1600-1800 yards.

Brodeur 11-20-2006 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddygoombatts
I voted for LT, but i think Julius Peppers should get some serious consideration.

Peppers already has 12 (i think) sacks and has been unstoppable. He has single-handedly taken over games and proven he is one of the the top 3 players in the league. However, the MVP award is kind of like the heisman, nearly impossible for defensive players to win. Maybe if the Panthers let him line up at TE or something and let him get some TDs.

If Peppers deserves consideration, so does Jason Taylor(if they finish 8-8 or similar to that).

I voted for LT, although it's not decided really between him and Peyton.

SeanTaylorRIP 11-20-2006 02:30 PM

I dont' think you can be an MVP especially a defensive player if your team doesn't make the playoffs and content for the title.

PalmerToCJ 11-20-2006 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghettosermon
I dont' think you can be an MVP especially a defensive player if your team doesn't make the playoffs and content for the title.

Agreed. They have an accomplishment to honor good players that aren't quite MVP status... the pro-bowl. That's like me saying Palmer deserves consideration, yes he's having a good year but he's not on LT and Mannings level so why even mention him.

Philliez01 11-20-2006 02:38 PM

It's obvious that Manning is the Colts franchise, but as good as Turner has been, would he be anywhere near Tomlinson right now? See that TD Tomlinson caught, do you think Turner could do that? How about all of those carries, he's got what you want in an MVP. In fact, if SA won the award last year with those stats, Tomlinson definitely deserves it.

My Top 10:

1)-Tomlinson
2)-Manning
3)-Johnson
4)-Peppers
5)-Brees
6)-Smith
7)-Palmer
8)-Taylor
9)-Parker
10)-Rivers


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.