Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:26 AM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis
Default Mock Off Season

Re-sign/Let Go

Alex Smith- let go
Troy Smith-let go
David Baas-re-sign 3/15
Aubrayo Franklin- re sign 4/26
Ray McDonald-re sign 2/3
Manny Lawson-let go
Takeo Spikes-1/5
Dashon Goldson-let go
Brian Westbrook-let go
Moran Norris-let go
re-sign Barry Sims 1/1

Free Agency

Sign OG Davin Joseph to 5/35
Sign WR Braylon Edwards to 3/24
Sign RB Darren Sproles to 4/15
Sign S Dawan Landry to 3/16

Draft

Trade 4th round(no 18 in round) to Bengals for QB Carson Palmer.
Trade 1st(7th overall) to San Diego for 1st rounder(18th overall and 3rd rounder(82nd overall)

1st round(18)- Aldon Smith, OLB Missouri, 6'5 260

The most important part component of a successful 3-4 defense is the ability to get pass rush form the OLB spots. Smith brings that ability to the 9ers. Freakish athlete with an impressive quickness and suddenness, Smith becomes an instant starter from day 1.

Here's a vid on Smith http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSG8E...eature=related

2nd Round(45)- Brandon Burton, CB Utah, 6' 185

Burton is a solid cornerback with decent size, good speed and quick hips. Accelerates quickly and and has good technique in coverage. Needs to work on support in the run game. Here's a vid of him vs Jonathan Baldwin of Pitt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY5elGqb7Zc

3rd Round(76)-Pat Devlin, QB Delware, 6'4 220

Harbaugh gets his quarterback in Devlin as a sleeper. Devlin is a quarterback who will need some adjustment coming from the spread, but his uncanny accuracy and lightning quick release will pay off for him. Has a decent arm and can make all the throws. Needs to work on pocket presence and his sense of when to get rid of it. Here's a vid of him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkPzmE0__7A

3rd round(82)-Brooks Reed, OLB Arizona 6'3 262
Reed has been tearing the senior bowl up and has potential as a rusher in a 3-4. Little bit on the optimistic side that he'll be available this late at 82 but hey, stranger things have happened. Has a relentles smotor and will give the defense an attitude that it is lacking.

4th(107) Stanley Havili, FB USC 6'1 225
Harbaugh drafts a former Pac 10 foe in havili to be his WCO fullback. Havili is an instant matchup problem with his speed and ability to catch out of the backfield.

5th(138) Sione Fua, NT Stanford 6'2 306
Harbaugh gets at least one of his old players to add valuable depth to the defensive line

6th(169) Jordan White WR, Western Michigan, 6'1 215
Remember Arnaz Battle? This looks to be a reincarnation, minus the college QB experiment. Great toughness and ability to break tackles, while also displaying good body control and tough grabs in traffic. Lacks deep speed. Perfect guy for the slot in the NFL and a good value pick. Here's a vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhk7P_PCDOI

6th(185) Allen Bradford, RB USC 5'11 235
Bradford is an intriguing guy in the later rounds with his power runing style and his quick feet with his body type. Has an acceleration and a different gear when shooting through the hole. Doesn't have any experience catching the football and is sloppy in pass protection. Here's a vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfcSvZ5akTc

7th(201) Greg McElroy, QB Alabama 6'3 225

Draft Pat Devlin's future backup.

Cut/restructure
Cut Chilo Rachal
Cut Parys Haralson
Restructure Nate Clements
Cut David Carr

Depth Chart

QB
Palmer
Devlin
McElRoy

HB
Gore
Sproles
Dixon
Bradford(PS)

FB
Havili

WR
Crabtree
Edwards
Morgan
Ginn
White
Williams

TE
Davis
Walker
Byham

LT
Staley
Barry Sims

LG
Iupati
Wragge

C
Baas
Heittman

RG
Joseph
Snyder

RT
Davis
Boone

LDT
Soap
McDonald

NT
Franklin
Jean-Francois
Fua

RDT
Smith
Evans

SAM
Brooks
Reed

TED
Spikes
Bowman

MIKE
Willis
Krstic

WILL
Al. Smith
Gibson

CB
Spencer
Burton
Clements
Brown
Adams

FS
R. Smith
Taylor

SS
Landry
Mays

K
Nedney

P
Andy Lee

LS
Brian Jennings
Old 01-27-2011, 05:23 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Release / Trade / Let Leave -

QB Troy Smith
QB David Carr
FB Moran Norris
OG Chilo Rachal
DE Ray McDonald
ILB Takeo Spikes
CB Nate Clements
CB Shawntae Spencer
FS Dashon Goldson
K Joe Nedney

Re-sign -

QB Alex Smith
RB Brian Westbrook
C David Baas
OT Barry Sims
OLB Manny Lawson
K Jeff Reed

Franchise -

NT Aubrayo Franklin

Free Agency (if available) -

QB Matt Hasselbeck (veteran backup)
OG Logan Mankins
OLB LaMarr Woodley
ILB David Harris
CB Richard Marshall
FS O.J. Atogwe

Highly unlikely that Mankins, Woodley and Harris will hit UFA but if any of them do (especially Mankins), I would definitely go all out for them.

Draft -

1) CB Patrick Peterson, CB Prince Amukamara, QB Jake Locker, WR A.J. Green and OLB Von Miller are my top five as of right now but free agency will play a huge part in who we'll draftin the first round.

I would definitely use mid round draft picks on NT Sione Fua and FB Owen Marecic with the hope that Marecic can be our starting FB and that Fua will be a role player and replacement for Franklin in 2012.

Back to QB wise, I think the smartest bet is to re-sign Alex Smith because he'll be cheap, given a clean slate under Harbaugh and trading away a draft pick plus pay a lot of money for a veteran like McNabb or Palmer is just something I wouldnt do. Future wise, if both top CB's are gone by 7, I draft Locker to hopefully be our franchise QB. Worse case scenario is that we wait until next year's draft and since some people here would have given up a future first rounder plus a second and a third rounder for Luck this year, I would probably just give up the entire 2012 draft for him but keep all my future draft picks but thats also based on what happens this off-season in regards to QB and other positions. If by some miracle, we can get Mankins, Marshall and Atogwe with a possible pass rushing OLB in round two, Peterson/Prince at 7, Bowman to replace Spikes and the draft Fua, Marecic as well as a backup 3-4 DE and another backup ILB and CB, I think going into 2012, the only position that we would need would once again be QB and I figure that if all other positions are filled for at least the next five or so years, sacrificing an entire draft for Luck wouldnt hurt us at all if thats the only starting position that we need.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:57 PM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post

QB Troy Smith
QB David Carr
FB Moran Norris
OG Chilo Rachal
DE Ray McDonald
ILB Takeo Spikes
CB Nate Clements
CB Shawntae Spencer
FS Dashon Goldson
K Joe Nedney

Re-sign -

QB Alex Smith
RB Brian Westbrook
C David Baas
OT Barry Sims
OLB Manny Lawson
K Jeff Reed

Franchise -

NT Aubrayo Franklin

Free Agency (if available) -

QB Matt Hasselbeck (veteran backup)
OG Logan Mankins
OLB LaMarr Woodley
ILB David Harris
CB Richard Marshall
FS O.J. Atogwe

Highly unlikely that Mankins, Woodley and Harris will hit UFA but if any of them do (especially Mankins), I would definitely go all out for them.

Draft -

1) CB Patrick Peterson, CB Prince Amukamara, QB Jake Locker, WR A.J. Green and OLB Von Miller are my top five as of right now but free agency will play a huge part in who we'll draftin the first round.

I would definitely use mid round draft picks on NT Sione Fua and FB Owen Marecic with the hope that Marecic can be our starting FB and that Fua will be a role player and replacement for Franklin in 2012.

Back to QB wise, I think the smartest bet is to re-sign Alex Smith because he'll be cheap, given a clean slate under Harbaugh and trading away a draft pick plus pay a lot of money for a veteran like McNabb or Palmer is just something I wouldnt do. Future wise, if both top CB's are gone by 7, I draft Locker to hopefully be our franchise QB. Worse case scenario is that we wait until next year's draft and since some people here would have given up a future first rounder plus a second and a third rounder for Luck this year, I would probably just give up the entire 2012 draft for him but keep all my future draft picks but thats also based on what happens this off-season in regards to QB and other positions. If by some miracle, we can get Mankins, Marshall and Atogwe with a possible pass rushing OLB in round two, Peterson/Prince at 7, Bowman to replace Spikes and the draft Fua, Marecic as well as a backup 3-4 DE and another backup ILB and CB, I think going into 2012, the only position that we would need would once again be QB and I figure that if all other positions are filled for at least the next five or so years, sacrificing an entire draft for Luck wouldnt hurt us at all if thats the only starting position that we need.
The Alexcuse era is OVER.... Bringing him back would keep us in mediocrity.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:37 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickWillis View Post
The Alexcuse era is OVER.... Bringing him back would keep us in mediocrity.
I think he means for Alex to hold down the fort for a year or two, or less, while we find a QBOTF. Palmer is not much better than Alex right now, if at all, anyway.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 PM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
I think he means for Alex to hold down the fort for a year or two, or less, while we find a QBOTF. Palmer is not much better than Alex right now, if at all, anyway.
I don't disagree that Alex isn't [i]significantly[i] worse than Palmer, but we've had 6 years of Alexcuse and I'm just tired of him. A change of scenery for both parties would do wonders.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:46 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't disagree that Alex isn't [i]significantly[i] worse than Palmer, but we've had 6 years of Alexcuse and I'm just tired of him. A change of scenery for both parties would do wonders.
I won't argue with you on the "Alexcuse" moniker or the so-called 6 years, it has been done to death, but I don't see why everyone thinks it would be such a big deal if he stays. As long as the coaching staff makes it clear that he is just a temporary starter I don't think the fans will care all that much, except maybe fans who irrationally hate Alex like Ness ;).

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 01-28-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:44 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^^^^^

Exactly. Just a one year deal until we would go after Luck. We're in no man's land right now. Trading for a veteran QB like McNabb ($12m) or Palmer ($10m) would be nuts in terms of contract, salary and trade compensation. A 4th rounder for Broncos QB Kyle Orton, Buccaneers Josh Johnson, Eagles Kevin Kolb or Packers Matt Flynn would be good but at the same time, I think that Flynn has the best chance at being a long term franchise QB. Johnson has barely if at all even played, Kolb isnt much if any better than Alex and Orton is a UFA in 2012 and is due to earn $8.379m in 2011 including a $1.5m roster bonus according to Rotoworld.com. To me, thats too much money for one year.

Flynn would only cost $550,000 and is a UFA in 2012 but at that cheap of a price also makes it more likely the Packers will keep him. Johnson would cost $597,000 and would also be an UFA in 2012 but I consider him t be in the same regard as Flynn. Kolb would cost $1.392m and will also be an UFA in 2012. I consider all of them to be in the same area. A cheap backup for the team that they're currently with. Johnson would be the best bet because his value is low and would be the cheapest to get without any long term guarantees.

It should be interesting to say the least. But looking at the team, it all depends on what happens in UFA and in regards to Alex, Troy and David going into the Draft. There could always be a draft day trade too but at the same time, I would much rather see them trade for one of the above QB's in March instead of late April so that player would have more time to learn and get adjusted.

My fantasy starters for 2011 as of right now would look like this -

QB - Alex Smith (one year only because like I said, I would go all out for Luck which is why I care more about solving other positions now instead of later)
RB - Gore
FB - Marecic (R)
WR - Crabtree, Morgan
TE - Davis
LT - Staley
LG - Iupati
C - Baas
RG - Mankins (will probably be franchised but if he hits UFA, I 100% go after him first and foremost. 5 years/$35m no problem here)
RT - Davis

DE - Smith
NT - Franklin (franchise tag)
DE - Sopoaga
OLB - Lawson (re-signed)
ILB - Willis
ILB - Bowman (I would love David Harris and think that there's a chance he could hit UFA depending on what the Jets do with Cromartie, Holmes, Edwards and others. If he does, I would definitely go after him)
OLB - This is really the only spot that im not sure about. Would love Woodley (as im sure everyone here does) but its highly unlikely. A pass rushing OLB in the 2nd makes the most sense especially with Haralson being average and Brooks better suited as a situational pass rusher who'll also be an UFA in 2012)
CB - Marshall (UFA), Peterson/Prince (R, I honestly think that unless Marshall re-signs with CAR, he'll test out the market. My plan would be this, I offer him a 5 year/$35m contract which if anything would overpay him but if im able to sign him, I release Clements while still having Spencer. If im able to draft Peterson/Prince, Spencer gets released the next day. The money that Clements is scheduled to make the next years is only $2m less than what Marshall would get paid over five years so it basically evens out. Spencer is at $4m or something like that so while Peterson/Prince at 7 would cost more, he's also far younger and has a much bigger upside)
SS - Mays
FS - Atogwe (UFA, if the Rams dont pick up the $8m option bonus, he'll become an UFA and while he'll be 30 in June which is older than I would prefer, he'll be pretty cheap, a playmaker that we've needed for a long time, an upgrade over Goldson and the veteran of the secondary)
K - Reed (re-signed)
P - Lee

When you think about it, the position we need the most (QB) is just like 2005 all over again - the weakest that's available in the Draft or via trade/free agency and with that being the case, I would much rather solve other needed positions in order to go after Luck in 2012 and not worry about sacrificing the entire draft to get him because every other starting position would be filled and we would still have some quality backup depth which is why I also go after a 3-4 DE, an ILB and another CB in the draft starting third round and on. Add in Fua and Marecic and I think that would cover our picks for this year.

For 2012, according to ninercaphell.com, below are our free agents -

QB David Carr (would be gone now)
RB Frank Gore
FB Moran Norris (see Carr)
WR Josh Morgan (re-sign, if demands are too high, bye bye)
WR Ted Ginn (re-sign, cheap)
WR Dominique Zeigler (re-sign, cheaper)
TE Colin Cloherty (gone)
C Eric Heitmann (gone)
OG Adam Snyder (re-sign)
OG Chilo Rachal (gone)
OT Alex Boone (re-sign, cheap)
DE Isaac Sopoaga (see Morgan)
OLB Ahmad Brooks (see Sopoaga)
OLB Keaton Kristick (gone)
ILB Alex Joseph (gone)
CB Tramaine Brock (cheap abckup depth, if not, gone)
SS Reggie Smith (re-sign, cheap)
FS Chris Maragos (gone)
FS C.J. Spillman (gone)
K Joe Nedney (would already be gone since I would choose Reed over him)

Would also have to include Alex Smith since I would have him for 2011 under a one year deal but he would be gone too so it wouldnt matter.

Top tier free agent would obviously be Gore with others like Morgan, Ginn, Zeigler, Snyder, Sopoaga, Brooks and Smith being second to third tier free agents. Gore would be a must re-sign. Snyder would be second on my list. Morgan would depend on contract demands. Sopoaga would be the same and if too much, would let walk since I would have drafted his potential replacement a year earlier (2011 3rd rounder). Zeigler would be cheap to keep followed by Ginn since he's not worth a lot of money. Brooks would depend on how he improves in 2011. He's still just a situational pass rusher. If his contract demands arent high, would keep, if not, bye bye. Smith should be a cheap backup to sign.

When you think about it, going into 2012, the only major free agent would be Gore. Going into an off-season with only one major free agent is pretty good and while Morgan and Sopoaga are starters, they're replaceable.

And yeah, I know that everyone is going to tell me to stop playing ESPN NFL 2K5 but thats what my long term plan would be. To solve a lot of the secondary weaknesses this off-season while focusing on Luck in 2012 as well as Gore.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:28 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Back to QB wise, I think the smartest bet is to re-sign Alex Smith because he'll be cheap, given a clean slate under Harbaugh
Non-Alex hater here, but Alex Smith in a 49ers uniform next year is not a clean slate for him or the team. This is all played out. New HC. New philosphy. He needs to go. For his sake and for ours. I dont think Alex will want to stay anyways...

You seem to have hitched your wagon to the hope that we'll somehow be able to draft Andrew Luck next year. As I've said before, you better be hoping we finish with the worst record in the league next year or its not gonna happen.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:49 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bama's QB doesn't scream starter to me from day one . Palmer is staying in Cincy . I like Edwards pick up for WR . Devlin didn't show any signs of good QB backing in his east / west game except for mobility . I also like how you guys address the whole defense thing but we still need a LONG TERM QB not a stop gap . Stop trying to pick up guys who are later rounds and spend a 2nd or first round on a QB on Stanzi , Dalton or Locker and just be done with it .Then go later rounds in a WR and Defense . Love all the effort tho .
Old 01-28-2011, 01:24 AM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
Bama's QB doesn't scream starter to me from day one . Palmer is staying in Cincy . I like Edwards pick up for WR . Devlin didn't show any signs of good QB backing in his east / west game except for mobility . I also like how you guys address the whole defense thing but we still need a LONG TERM QB not a stop gap . Stop trying to pick up guys who are later rounds and spend a 2nd or first round on a QB on Stanzi , Dalton or Locker and just be done with it .Then go later rounds in a WR and Defense . Love all the effort tho .
1 game, and an all star game with unfamilar receivers at that, does not make a QB. Devlin has a lightning quick release and is deadly accurate. There will be an adjustment period with him taking snaps under center and learning a pro-style offense, but the upside is there.

I like Dalton and Stanzi, but I like Devlin a bit more than them. Locker is all athlete and will not be a successful QB in the NFL.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:53 AM    (permalink
Arsenal
Rookie

Arsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

There's no way we're getting Andrew Luck, period. It's time to move on. I absolutely love him but it's not realistic, especially after the new CBA where rookies will be cheap. Unless we're picking in the top 5, the price for him would be astronomical. I'm talking like 3 first rounds picks as the starting price with a lot more added on. Even if we traded from #7 to #1 like where we are now it would have been like three 1sts or 2 1sts and 2nds just as the starting point.

I guess if Harbaugh doesn't improve the team at all we have a shot but even if he is just merely competent, the team is going to have to improve and knock us out of consideration.

Matt Barkley is in next year's draft too and I don't think he's that far behind Luck as a prospect. Maybe he'll slip a little, but I doubt that much.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:31 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just want a QB who can compete enough for us to at least get into the playoffs dang it.Either be threw the draft of FA.We have all of the other talent in key positions.But we need to find some how.I still don't Devlin shown any positive out that East/West game sorry .We need a QB with a little bit more age and experience.Like I said before I like Dalton or Stanzi in round two both QB 's had a good senior bowl week,
Old 01-28-2011, 04:20 PM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
I just want a QB who can compete enough for us to at least get into the playoffs dang it.Either be threw the draft of FA.We have all of the other talent in key positions.But we need to find some how.I still don't Devlin shown any positive out that East/West game sorry .We need a QB with a little bit more age and experience.Like I said before I like Dalton or Stanzi in round two both QB 's had a good senior bowl week,
So you're going to judge a QB based on 1 game with receivers he doesn't have timing with? Outstanding. Maybe we should just trade for Tim Tebow? That guy is SOLID!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Milk Man
Rookie

Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Carson Palmer for a 4th? Explain how this improves the Bengals. Mike Brown isn't gonna trade him cuz he's a distraction. He could give a rats ass about chemistry.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:22 PM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk Man View Post
Carson Palmer for a 4th? Explain how this improves the Bengals. Mike Brown isn't gonna trade him cuz he's a distraction. He could give a rats ass about chemistry.
Palmer is not going to fetch anything more than a 4th. While the Bengals have the leverage, usually these unhappy player cases end in a trade. He doesn't want to be there.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:15 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickWillis
Palmer is not going to fetch anything more than a 4th. While the Bengals have the leverage, usually these unhappy player cases end in a trade. He doesn't want to be there.
I wouldnt trade for Palmer. According to rotoworld.com, Palmer is scheduled to make $11.5m for 2011 and 2012. $13m in 2013 and $14m in 2014. Hell no. Thats worse than McNabb.

I know everyone thinks that we have no shot in being in position to draft Luck next year which is why I would give up an entire draft for him which is why I would focus on other positions this off-season and just go all-out for Luck next year since QB would be the only main position that we would need a franchise player at.

I think it all depends on who's number one. If it's a team that already has a franchise QB or one that drafts one this year in the first round, I think the ability to trade an entire draft for him would be possible.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:23 AM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Except in Cincy.

Corey Dillon was never happy it seemed.

Chad Johnson - didn't he demand a trade? Not sure.

Either way, unhappy campers have been in Cincy before, and have stayed until they had the control to change it.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:07 PM    (permalink
Kaybra
Rookie

Kaybra is a cocksman.Kaybra is a cocksman.Kaybra is a cocksman.Kaybra is a cocksman.Kaybra is a cocksman.

I think it would be a lofty expectation to think Lamar Woodley would leave the Steelers to come here.I think Tamba Hali is a much more realistic target.Also not a fan really, of any of the first round QB options. I would rather draft a guy in round 3-4 and possible grab a guy like Senica Wallace via free agency.Although we all must remember that without a CBA in place there will be no trades or FA period.Thus the way the draft will pan out could be severally impacted.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:22 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybra View Post
I think it would be a lofty expectation to think Lamar Woodley would leave the Steelers to come here.I think Tamba Hali is a much more realistic target.
Didnt even think of Hali and wouldnt mind him at all. Would easily be an upgrade over Haralson/Brooks and be a good combo opposite Lawson who we should definitely re-sign.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:33 AM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Quote:
Didnt even think of Hali and wouldnt mind him at all. Would easily be an upgrade over Haralson/Brooks and be a good combo opposite Lawson who we should definitely re-sign.
We need to re-sign Manny Lawson? I was under the impression that in a 3-4 you need rushers to be successful. Manusky is gone and so is his pussyball way of running a defense. Fangio is going to want pass rush ability, not cover ability. Let Manny sign with a 4-3 team where he is much more of a fit with his coverage skills.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:56 AM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We need to re-sign Manny Lawson? I was under the impression that in a 3-4 you need rushers to be successful. Manusky is gone and so is his pussyball way of running a defense. Fangio is going to want pass rush ability, not cover ability. Let Manny sign with a 4-3 team where he is much more of a fit with his coverage skills.
Rushers are needed to be successful in a 3-4, especially due to the stress put on the secondary, but both OLBs do not rush on the majority of downs. Doing so would make it a 5-2, not a 3-4.

With the rule changes favoring a passing offense, having an extra body who isn't a liability in coverage is useful (hence the 5-2 being regarded as the older version of the 3-4).

If you read the media, you see coaches constantly talking about mismatches. One of them would be forcing a pass rushing OLB to drop into coverage, especially if the OLB doesn't have any skills in that area.

Manny Lawson can contribute a little to the pass rush and is good in coverage, which doesn't make him completely useless for a 3-4 scheme.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:03 AM    (permalink
Kaybra
Rookie

Kaybra is a cocksman.Kaybra is a cocksman.Kaybra is a cocksman.Kaybra is a cocksman.Kaybra is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verloren View Post
Rushers are needed to be successful in a 3-4, especially due to the stress put on the secondary, but both OLBs do not rush on the majority of downs. Doing so would make it a 5-2, not a 3-4.

With the rule changes favoring a passing offense, having an extra body who isn't a liability in coverage is useful (hence the 5-2 being regarded as the older version of the 3-4).

If you read the media, you see coaches constantly talking about mismatches. One of them would be forcing a pass rushing OLB to drop into coverage, especially if the OLB doesn't have any skills in that area.

Manny Lawson can contribute a little to the pass rush and is good in coverage, which doesn't make him completely useless for a 3-4 scheme.
Lawson was never asked to be the edge rusher in Munusky's defense.Thats not really his fault.Given an oppertunity he may be better than we as fans have given him credit for being.Also Lawson is one of the best in the league at setting the edge in the running game.Which is a major asset for a 3-4 OLB.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:41 AM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some quotes from Fangio when he first joined Stanford.

Regarding the 3-4
Quote:
"It has been a pressure oriented defense in the past. It will have to be tailored to the players we have here. We are not going to cram a system down on players that maybe they are not capable of doing. So it will be a 3-4 base, but it will be a hybrid 3-4 where we are able to do a lot of 4-3 stuff within the 3-4 personnel. We will take the package where the players lead us. But in the past, if ever I have had the conflict, I would pressure more than not. We would like to be an attacking defense and pressure more but we are not going to pressure just for the sake of doing it. We are going to try and do it intelligently and adjust the system to what we have."
3-4 OLBs
Quote:
But a 3-4 outside linebacker is 50% like a defensive end and 50% like an outside linebacker. He is still going to be doing the same things he has done in the past as a defensive end except there will be some dropping (into pass coverage) involved.
From the Examiner
Old 01-30-2011, 02:03 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

^^^^^

After reading that, im staring to like Fangio because he seems to do what I would do which is use the talent and players you have to their strengths instead of forcing your defense on players that dont fit the system (coughShanahancough).
Old 01-30-2011, 05:24 PM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Baalke on the priorities of a 3-4 OLB.

Quote:
But Reed also has flashed good pass-rush ability at the Senior Bowl, and a number of teams are looking at him as a 3-4 outside linebacker. Reed and several other college defensive ends like Texas' Sam Acho and Purdue's Ryan Kerrigan said they've been trying to improve their draft value by practicing how to drop back in coverage and play pass defense.

That's fine, said Baalke, but the No. 1 criterion at the position is the ability to find the opposing quarterback.

"The thing you have to remember is that probably the third or the fourth thing they're going to ask those guys to do is drop (in coverage)," he said. "It's a lot more important for them to be able to rush the passer, set the edges on the run game, and then you worry about what they can do in the drops."

So while yes, coverage is important, pass rush ability is the MOST important.

Steelers: 2 premier rushers in Harrison and Woodley
Packers: Premiere rusher in Matthews
Ravens: premiere rusher in Suggs

Funny how all the dominant 3-4's have a bonafide sack artist.
Closed Thread