Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 06-13-2011, 06:01 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Giants history drafting LBs

I have been following the Giants draft heavily since 1991

The Giants philosophy has been to build through the draft. LB talent has been an issue for many years, I have been conistently frustrated by the inability of NYG to develop quality talent in house.

As there isn't too much football news, I decided to look through the LB drafting history (from 1991 to present) to see if there are any trends.

Here is what I found:

George Young -1997

1991/2 - LB Kanavis McGhee, Colorado

1991/5 - LB Anthony Moss, Florida State

1991/7 - LB Corey Miller, South Carolina

1992/7 - LB Corey Widmar, Montana State

1993/3 - LB Marcus Buckley, Texas A&M

1993/5 - LB Tommy Thigpen, North Carolina

1993/8 - LB Jessie Armstead, Miami (FL)

1995/4 - LB Ben Talley, Tennessee

1996/6 - LB Doug Colman, Nebraska

1996/6 - LB Scott Galyon, Tennessee

1997/3 - LB Ryan Phillips, Idaho

1997/4 - LB Pete Monty, Wisconsin

Seven years

* 2nd round - 1
* 3rd round - 2
* 4th round - 2
* 5th round - 2
* 6th round - 2
* 7th round - 2
* 8th round - 1

average 1.7 LBs drafted / year; average position round 5

Ernie Accorsi 1998 - 2006

2000/4 - LB Brandon Short, Penn State

2000/6 - LB Dhani Jones, Michigan

2002/5 - LB Nick Greisen, Wisconsin

2002/6 - LB Wesley Mallard, Oregon

2002/7 - LB Quincy Monk, North Carolina

2004/4 - LB Reggie Torbor, Auburn

2006/3 - LB Gerris Wilkerson, Georgia Tech

Nine years

* 3rd round - 1
* 4th round - 2
* 5th round - 1
* 6th round - 2
* 7th round - 1

average 0.8 LBs drafted / year; average position round 5

Jerry Reese 2007-

2007/4 - LB Zach DeOssie, Brown

2008/4 - LB Brian Kehl, BYU

2008/5 - LB Jon Goff, Vanderbilt

2009/2 - LB Clint Sintim, Virginia

2010/4 - LB Phillip Dillard, Nebraska

2010/6 - LB Adrian Tracy, William & Mary

2011/6 - LB Greg Jones, Michigan State

2011/6 - LB Jacquian Williams, South Florida

Five years

* 2nd round - 1
* 4th round - 3
* 5th round - 1
* 6th round - 3

average 1.6 LBs drafted / year; average position round 4-5

It quickly becomes apparent that there is a definate trend, and that NYG has a history of not putting emphasis on LB in the draft.

Compare that to our history of drafting RBs, TEs and safeties over the same period...

Up to to the era of around 1991, the Giants were well known for their quality LB group, both Banks and Taylor were early 1st round picks.

But you could also consider that up until we switched to a 4-3 under Reeves that 3-4 OLB could be considered the pass rushing priority like we currently have with our DEs.

We brought in quality talent and developed these guys in house.

However, since then LB hasn't been a draft priority. This is why we have had to turn to free agents like Barrow, Pierce, Emmons, Arrington and Mitchell.

This is an observation, not a criticism.

Like it or not, early round LB talent in the draft is not the way the Giants do business.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 06-28-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:22 PM    (permalink
ellsy82
Veteran

ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
It quickly becomes apparent that there is a definate trend, and that NYG has a history of not putting emphasis on LB in the draft.

Compare that to our history of drafting RBs, TEs and safeties over the same period...

Up to to the era of around 1991, the Giants were well known for their quality LB group, both Banks and Taylor were early 1st round picks.

But you could also consider that up until we switched to a 4-3 under Reeves that 3-4 OLB could be considered the pass rushing priority like we currently have with our DEs.

We brought in quality talent and developed these guys in house.

However, since then LB hasn't been a draft priority. This is why we have had to turn to free agents like Barrow, Pierce, Emmons, Arrington and Mitchell.

This is an observation, not a criticism.

Like it or not, early round LB talent in the draft is not the way the Giants do business.
Interesting you would say that. Many have LB as a primary need due to problems against some of the leagues more mobile QBs. If I were a Giant, I'd be demanding the F.O. select a guy like Kuechly or Zach Brown in the first. As always tho, the value of any ILB and especially 43OLBs can be found in the middle rounds. You don't really take one early unless its a player that can revolutionize the position and be an achor of the defense.

Great read, btw. Thanks.
ellsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsy82 View Post
Interesting you would say that. Many have LB as a primary need due to problems against some of the leagues more mobile QBs. If I were a Giant, I'd be demanding the F.O. select a guy like Kuechly or Zach Brown in the first. As always tho, the value of any ILB and especially 43OLBs can be found in the middle rounds. You don't really take one early unless its a player that can revolutionize the position and be an achor of the defense.

Great read, btw. Thanks.
I want a stud LB in the draft as well, but judging from history, that isn't likely going to happen.

However, interestingly we have been willing to open the checkbook and bring in quality LBs via free agency. Mike Barrow, LaVar Arrington and Antonio Pierce being good examples.

Interestingly the Giants seem to be quite willing to pay for MLBs.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if we went for one quality veteran LB this year in free agency.

I could really see Reese going after a guy like Paul Poslunzsy in free agency and moving Goff to SLB (where he would split time with Sintim). Poslunzsy is an ideal fit for us at MLB (and I believe at the top of our free agency wish list), plus he knows Fewell and Fewell's schemes. You have to think Poslunzsy would love to play behind our Dline and for a team with legitimate playoff apsirations.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 06-28-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:26 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To be fair, I understand why we haven't put that much emphasis on LBs. In a 4-3 defense, they just aren't as important as the secondary or defensive line.

And they can be had in the middle rounds. For a long while LBs in a 4-3 were nothing more than glorified gap fillers. Guys who can make tackles. And you don't need a 1st round talent to accomplish that.

However, in recent years the game has changed, and your MIKE and WILL really need to cover a lot of turf in the passing game bc of underneath routes and scrambling qbs. So that's why we notice it more today vs years past.

Linebackers in general (ILBs) just don't have the value they used to have.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:01 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I don't disagree with you, however there have been times when we could have added decent talent in the second and third rounds, we have tended to look at day 2/3 for LBs.

I am also not a huge fan of drafting college DEs and 3-4 OLBs as SLBs.