Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 02-23-2012, 08:35 AM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford

Jonathan Martin started the season ranked as the #2 OT and a top 10 player in the draft.

Recently he has started to slip on most boards and in the rankings and I am wondering why people are not as high on him?

What is the scouting report on him?

Who would you compare him to?

Where do you see him drafted?

Last edited by JohnCandy : 02-23-2012 at 09:49 AM.
JohnCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 AM    (permalink
duesouth
Rookie

duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It seems to me that his recent fall down boards is because some think Nick Perry handed it to him in the USC game and they've only just looked at the tape. I watched that game and he was beaten twice outside and also a third time, but only after he held the block for a good time. Otherwise he won everything. So, I still like him as a top 10 pick pending the arm length and athletic numbers at the Combine.
duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:59 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not a fan of his and I never have been. I can't quite put my finger on it, but when I see him I keep seeing "soft".. I don't think he really excels at any one thing and I don't see him having the upside of say, Mike Adams or Riley Reiff.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:00 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I'm not a fan of his and I never have been. I can't quite put my finger on it, but when I see him I keep seeing "soft".. I don't think he really excels at any one thing and I don't see him having the upside of say, Mike Adams or Riley Reiff.
He's definitely soft. No tenacity in the run game. Nice feet and overall athleticism, but I want to see some fire on an offensive lineman before I draft him. Martin doesn't have that. I think he's a 32-40 type guy, but he could go higher a la Sherrod last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:11 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he's a first rounder who could be a solid pass blocking LT, but I don't get the top 10 talk at all.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:30 AM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Adams or Jonathan Martin?

I am getting the feel that Adams is higher rated by most of you because of the physical upside.
JohnCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:34 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Adams for me 10 times out of 10. He has a ton of upside and can play both tackle spots. I kinda feel like Martin would only really be successful at LT.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:35 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Adams for me 10 times out of 10. He has a ton of upside and can play both tackle spots. I kinda feel like Martin would only really be successful at LT.
Why would only being a LT be a bad thing, especially since is the more prominant of the two?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:41 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Adams was also more impressive on tape this season. He came back with a vengeance.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:03 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd like Martin better in a zone blocking scheme. Doesn't have the nastiness or the size you look for in elite tackles, but he'll probably have success in the NFL. If you need a left tackle and he's the best one available you have to take him, I don't think he'll have problems protecting the QB.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 PM    (permalink
steelersrock151
Rookie

steelersrock151 is a cocksman.steelersrock151 is a cocksman.steelersrock151 is a cocksman.steelersrock151 is a cocksman.steelersrock151 is a cocksman.

Keep seeing him mocked to the Chiefs because their right tackle is so bad. You don't draft a right tackle in the first round, especially in the top 12. You pick right tackles in the third or fourth round.
steelersrock151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:08 PM    (permalink
DeepThreat
Pro Bowler

DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersrock151 View Post
Keep seeing him mocked to the Chiefs because their right tackle is so bad. You don't draft a right tackle in the first round, especially in the top 12. You pick right tackles in the third or fourth round.
Good luck with that...

I don't see Martin as a first-round pick. He's a finesse player who lacks the footwork to play that way. Too slow to play LT, too weak to play RT. I think he's a guard.

Quote:
<@JBond> And Dg, you'd waste it on corndogs
<@JBond> So you get no 5 dollars
<+DG> how is buy one get one free wasting?
Quote:
<+njx9> i'm pretty sure your people still eat boots in north korea, bantx. they don't know what vegetables are.
DeepThreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The game's changed. Your RT now will often have to block the Demarcus Ware's and Lamar Woodley's and Terrell Suggs in the NFL. You can't get by without having a good pass blocker at RT, and pass blockers tend to go earlier in the draft.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:17 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
The game's changed. Your RT now will often have to block the Demarcus Ware's and Lamar Woodley's and Terrell Suggs in the NFL. You can't get by without having a good pass blocker at RT, and pass blockers tend to go earlier in the draft.
Dammit, I said this a month ago in a thread and was mocked. But this is spot on, anyways.
Quote:
Old 02-23-2012, 05:22 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Dammit, I said this a month ago in a thread and was mocked. But this is spot on, anyways.
o_O

that's has been a fairly common notion around here for years...
Old 02-23-2012, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The '90s called. They want their draft strategy back.

God damn it.

No offense, but your Raiders draft sucks.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:25 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

You ABSOLUTELY draft a RT in the top half of the first round when your current RT was statistically the worst OT in the entire NFL last year. This is a position that MUST be upgraded.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:30 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Martin has all the athletic tools to play LT in the NFL and that is going to get him drafted pretty high. However, he definitely needs to show more toughness and grit to be a star. He'll go anywhere from around #8-15 to a team desperate to fill their LT position.