Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-16-2012, 08:16 PM    (permalink
NFLBaller
Rookie

NFLBaller NFLBaller NFLBaller NFLBaller NFLBaller NFLBaller NFLBaller NFLBaller NFLBaller NFLBaller
Default How Does David Decastro Compare to Mike Iupati?

Would love to hear comparisons on these 2 guys
NFLBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:20 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBaller View Post
Would love to hear comparisons on these 2 guys
Not as big or physically talented, but more polished as a prospect. If Iupati were in this draft he'd be drafted before him. Iupati was a pretty big deal as a prospect...which is why the "DeCastro is the best G prospect since Hutchinson" makes little to no sense to me.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 PM    (permalink
HeavyLeggedWaistBender
Veteran

HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"Prospect" skews so many arguments around here...

Iupati was a great prospect. So it's feasible that he would be selected higher than DeCastro, yes. But as players, DeCastro is far better than Iupati at this point. DeCastros play makes him "the best since Hutch."
Old 03-16-2012, 08:58 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyLeggedWaistBender View Post
"Prospect" skews so many arguments around here...

Iupati was a great prospect. So it's feasible that he would be selected higher than DeCastro, yes. But as players, DeCastro is far better than Iupati at this point. DeCastros play makes him "the best since Hutch."
Iupati didn't exactly crap the bed in college. He wasn't as technically refined, but his physical dominance made him a great player in college. He was a G playing at Idaho that went in the first round...we're talking about a guy who was just a dominant college player.

DeCastro's greatest advantage is in exposure. The guy from Stanford who helped protect Andrew Luck and the guy who played for Michigan is going to be far more known than the guy who moved up through Idaho.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:08 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I disagree to a certain extent. Iupati was a much more physical player who dominates at the point of attack but DeCastro is a much more well rounded OG who can dominate at the point of attack and is also an excellent pulling OG who can get outside and deliver a blow for the RB.

I'd rate DeCastro as a slightly better prospect but I cannot guarantee he will be a better pro.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 PM    (permalink
Mitchell
Rookie

Mitchell hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Iupati was slightly better.
Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:42 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I heard trusted scouting people say that DeCastro is a great prospect but Shawn Andrews and Steve Hutchinson were superior OG prospects b/c of their superior size and/or strength and ability to move people like bulldozers in the run game.

As far as Iupati goes, he's way bigger than DeCastro is and some people talked about him realistically playing right tackle. He had great feet/size combo but he held like every play and was pretty sloppy at times with his hand technique needless to say as a prospect. DeCastro had much better coaching and is more refined as a pulling guard and at getting to the 2nd level. I like DeCastro more than I liked Iupati when he came out personally. I'm sure there is a split between how NFL people viewed them.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:10 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
I heard trusted scouting people say that DeCastro is a great prospect but Shawn Andrews and Steve Hutchinson were superior OG prospects b/c of their superior size and/or strength and ability to move people like bulldozers in the run game.

As far as Iupati goes, he's way bigger than DeCastro is and some people talked about him realistically playing right tackle. He had great feet/size combo but he held like every play and was pretty sloppy at times with his hand technique needless to say as a prospect. DeCastro had much better coaching and is more refined as a pulling guard and at getting to the 2nd level. I like DeCastro more than I liked Iupati when he came out personally. I'm sure there is a split between how NFL people viewed them.
Realistically in that draft, DeCastro would go before Iupati in a draft because of that polish. That said, they're neck and neck as far as ability and upside going into the draft, so I just go with the bigger player. Iupati is basically the Haloti Ngata of the OL world as the size/speed monster who actually puts it to use at an elite level on the field.

Would not be surprised to see DeCastro go around 16/17 in the draft like Andrews, Hutchinson, and Iupati did.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:12 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DeCastro was certainly my higher-ranked prospect but Iupati has been excellent in the NFL so who knows who will have the better career. The fact that that's even a question shows you how deserving DeCastro is of a top pick, though.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:25 PM    (permalink
duesouth
Rookie

duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked Iupati more - DeCastro is a pure guard - Iupati can play RT in an emergency. Both very athletic - think DeCastro overextends a bit too much at times. First half of the Bowl game was a nice example - off balance and on the ground too much. I had Iupati as a mid first rounder - DeCastro I have as a late first rounder.
duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:28 PM    (permalink
DeepThreat
Pro Bowler

DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think DeCastro is quite a bit better, but they're different players. DeCastro is an athletic, pulling guard who excels in the open field. Iupati is a massive, power blocker who dominates at the point of attack.

DeCastro is less risky as a prospect, and he can do more things on the field.

Quote:
<@JBond> And Dg, you'd waste it on corndogs
<@JBond> So you get no 5 dollars
<+DG> how is buy one get one free wasting?
Quote:
<+njx9> i'm pretty sure your people still eat boots in north korea, bantx. they don't know what vegetables are.
DeepThreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:02 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepThreat View Post
I think DeCastro is quite a bit better, but they're different players. DeCastro is an athletic, pulling guard who excels in the open field. Iupati is a massive, power blocker who dominates at the point of attack.

I agree with this assesment.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:18 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepThreat View Post

This man speaks the truth. I really liked the way Iupati just mauled people, but he wasn't nearly as fine tuned and pro-ready as I think DeCastro is. I got mocked for saying it before but I honestly think if you toss position value out the window, there's an argument to be made for DeCastro as the 2nd best football player in the entire draft (Behind Luck). I could have never said the same thing about Iupati. I actually can't think of something I dislike about DeCastro. I read he's even mean in interviews. That's awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:32 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
This man speaks the truth. I really liked the way Iupati just mauled people, but he wasn't nearly as fine tuned and pro-ready as I think DeCastro is. I got mocked for saying it before but I honestly think if you toss position value out the window, there's an argument to be made for DeCastro as the 2nd best football player in the entire draft (Behind Luck). I could have never said the same thing about Iupati. I actually can't think of something I dislike about DeCastro. I read he's even mean in interviews. That's awesome.
Pretty much what I came to say. DeCastro is just more fine tuned in his technique. He just looked smooth at the combine and was basically textbook in all the drills. He is a comfortable top 15 pick as a guard, just plug him in to any OL style and he will be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:55 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a much bigger DeCastro fan, and that's not hindsight speaking.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:01 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Give me DeCastro for sure. I was nowhere near as high on Iupati as some, had him as a late first type of prospect where as I remember some people around here had him in the top 15. Right now, DeCastro is in my top 10, behind only Luck, Kalil, Claiborne, RG3, Richardson, and narrowly edging out Poe for the 6th spot.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.
marshallb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:03 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think DeCastro's a better prospect. Knowing what we know now, Iupati gets boosted because he's turned into a solid guy. But coming from the small school he had a lot of questions about the level of competition he played against.

To me, it really depends on what you wanted in a prospect. DeCastro gives up a litle to Iupati in athleticm, and road grading ability. But I think he's far superior in intelligence and a better pass blocker coming out.

I still think DeCastro is the best, most pro ready guard since DeCastro.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:06 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
I think DeCastro's a better prospect. Knowing what we know now, Iupati gets boosted because he's turned into a solid guy. But coming from the small school he had a lot of questions about the level of competition he played against.

To me, it really depends on what you wanted in a prospect. DeCastro gives up a litle to Iupati in athleticm, and road grading ability. But I think he's far superior in intelligence and a better pass blocker coming out.

I still think DeCastro is the best, most pro ready guard since DeCastro.
Not only that, but he definitely had a problem with penalties, especially holding.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.
marshallb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:13 PM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
Knowing what we know now, Iupati gets boosted because he's turned into a solid guy. But coming from the small school he had a lot of questions about the level of competition he played against.
this is where the Senior Bowl is important. The dude dominated in Mobile. And it was against excellent competition. Iupati is the single most impressive guard I've ever seen up close. Now granted Decastro wasn't a senior and couldn't play in the game but still I doubt that Decastro provides more push on 3rd and 1 than iupati. the dude is a road grader. what decastro offers is better technique, better balance and is a much safer player in pass protection. He's probably smarter too. Both are excellent players. But let's not pretend that Iupati was a surprise. he was a beast in January.

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

bitonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:52 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
this is where the Senior Bowl is important. The dude dominated in Mobile. And it was against excellent competition. Iupati is the single most impressive guard I've ever seen up close. Now granted Decastro wasn't a senior and couldn't play in the game but still I doubt that Decastro provides more push on 3rd and 1 than iupati. the dude is a road grader. what decastro offers is better technique, better balance and is a much safer player in pass protection. He's probably smarter too. Both are excellent players. But let's not pretend that Iupati was a surprise. he was a beast in January.
Seriously...and I remember you saying this stuff even back then. Iupati was an absolute stud during his draft season.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:11 PM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

iupati is a rarer athlete, decastro has better technique. both are about mid-1st grades.

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

bitonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:45 PM    (permalink
ChiefMojo
Rookie

ChiefMojo hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

There seems to be a lot of talk that Kansas City could take him at #11. I know that is quite early for a OG but DeCastro is a special talent. You can plug DeCastro in place of Lilja and the Chiefs would have a line of Winston, DeCastro, Hudson, Asamoah and Albert. That is a young and very athletic/strong OL!

Unless KC trades down, I think a OG or NT will be the pick at #11. Some think possibly Kuechly as well but I don't know as I think Belcher/Seiler can hold that position down just fine beside DJ.
ChiefMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:50 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was very high on Iupati coming out, and even was opento the Raiders taking him(rumors were he was the favorite but that turned out to be false). Iupati go a top 15 grade from me, but DeCastro will grade out better than that. DeCastro is top 10 player in this draft and like Iupati will see NFL action right away.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote