Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default What does your team's nickel defense look like?

With the ever more importance of the nickel defense in today's NFL, do a depth chart projection for what you envision your team doing in a 4-2-5 and a 3-3-5 formation. I think this would stir a solid discussion. Go for it!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LE - Ahmad Brooks
DT - Ray McDonald
DT - Justin Smith
RE - Aldon Smith
LB - NaVorro Bowman
LB - Patrick Willis
LCB - Carlos Rogers
NKB - Chris Culliver
RCB - Tarell Brown
FS - Dashon Goldson
SS - Donte Whitner

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:21 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When the Bears go nickel, it's always 4-2-5, usually with these personnel:

LE Israel Idonije
NT Matt Toeiana
UT Henry Melton
RE Julius Peppers
WLB Lance Briggs
MLB Brian Urlacher
CB1 Charles Tillman
CB2 Tim Jennings
CB3 DJ Moore
FS Chris Conte
SS Major Wright

Theoretically, Shea McClellin is an every-down LE (), so I guess Idonije is out.

Major Wright sucks and has always been outperformed by Craig Steltz. I have no idea who gets that strong safety job. Maybe Hardin shocks everyone right out of the gate. Maybe they come to their senses and let Steltz play. Maybe they keep trotting Wright out there no matter how badly he fails (that's the typical Lovie Smith way of doing things).

If he's not a bust, Paea should beat out Toeiana for the lion's share of the snaps in the NT rotation...but I think he's going to be forced into UT, since they haven't replaced Okoye and Melton would lose his effectiveness if he's trying to play 1000 snaps a season.

Other than LE, SS, and NT, we have good personnel at every spot, so nothing else should see turnover.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:03 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
LE - Ahmad Brooks
DT - Ray McDonald
DT - Justin Smith
RE - Aldon Smith
LB - NaVorro Bowman
LB - Patrick Willis
LCB - Carlos Rogers
NKB - Chris Culliver
RCB - Tarell Brown
FS - Dashon Goldson
SS - Donte Whitner
Did the Niners do anything in the offseason to add to that mix?
Old 05-08-2012, 05:30 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Re-signed Carlos Rogers? Trenton Robinson is probably going to end up as the top back-up safety, which Reggie Smith was last year. They drafted Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson for depth, so I imagine that Parys Haralson could be cut closer to the season starting.

Really not much to improve upon, other than the secondary's play. I think as a whole, the defense will be better, but not necessarily put up the same numbers.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:09 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Pats tend to use multiple fronts in nickle situations and use their players in different ways as well. A few examples I can imagine

4-2-5;

RE: Andre Carter (Jones if Carter doesn't re-sign)
DT: Jonathan Fanene
DT: Vince Wilfork
LE: Chandler Jones (Trevor Scott if Carter doesn't re-sign)

LB: Dont'a Highotwer
LB: Jerod Mayo

CB: Devin McCourty
CB: Kyle Arrington
S: Pat Chung
S: Steve Gregory
CB: Ras-I Dowling

3-3-5;

RE: Chandler Jones
NT: Vince Wilfork
LE: Jonathan Fanene

LB: Dont'a Hightower
LB: Dane Fletcher
LB: Jerod Mayo

CB: Kyle Arrington
S: Devin McCourty
S: Pat Chung
S: Steve Gregory
CB: Ras-I Dowling

A few things to note;

LB Brandon Spikes isn't likely to play in nickle situations with the addition of Dont'a Hightower. Hightower, while not great in coverage, is better than Spikes and also offers more as an outside pass rusher.

BB has stated he views Chandler Jones as a perimeter player on defense. Now I don't see how Jones will play LB in 3-3-5 systems because he doesn't have the hip flexibility to stay consistently in coverage. I think he is likely to line up wide as a RE in a 3 man front.

The defensive backfield is in flux at the moment. It was rumoured that Devin McCourty would make the permanent move to S. However I think that is premature and with the recent additions at the position it is looking like BB will keep him at CB for now, however he is likely to move inside in big nickle situations.

Alfonzo Dennard is someone who may also see some playing time in the slot or at safety.

Rob Ninkovich seems like the odd man out with the Hightower pick but should still see plenty of the field.

Guys like Trevor Scott, Jake Bequette and Jermaine Cunningham (hopefully) should also rotate in with some of the pass rushers.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
What might you like to see them add? There's alot of really young depth that never sees the field.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:02 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
LE - Ahmad Brooks
DT - Ray McDonald
DT - Justin Smith
RE - Aldon Smith
LB - NaVorro Bowman
LB - Patrick Willis
LCB - Carlos Rogers
NKB - Chris Culliver
RCB - Tarell Brown
FS - Dashon Goldson
SS - Donte Whitner
Rogers is over the slot in our nickel. Cully is on the outside.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Rogers is over the slot in our nickel. Cully is on the outside.
My mistake. Admittedly I am a bit hazy on the details; typically, last season, I couldn't take my eyes off of The Smiths when the Niners were on D.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I had my guess...

LE: Hightower/Ninkovich
DT: Fanene
DT: Wilfork
RE: C. Jones/T. Scott
LB: Mayo
LB: Fletcher
CB: McCourty
CB: Arrington
CB: Dowling
S: Chung
S: Gregory

I'd also look for Jake Bequette to get some looks early. We've lined up in so many different types of fronts, especially on passing downs, that it is hard to project but my best guess would be some formation of that personnel.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Henry Melton is going to be a force this year I think, so much physical ability and I think he's finally found a role/position where he can use his crazy talents properly.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:07 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Henry Melton is going to be a force this year I think, so much physical ability and I think he's finally found a role/position where he can use his crazy talents properly.
He's actually already a force. 7th-most QB pressures of all DTs last season. It's just going to take some time for people to recognize it.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hard to predict with so many new comers on defense.

If I had to guess right now:

LE: Derrick Morgan
DT: Karl Klug
DT: Mike Martin
RE: Kamerion Wimbley
LB: Colin McCarthy
LB: Zach Brown
CB: Tommie Campbell
CB: Jason McCourty
NB: Alterraun Verner
S: Jordan Babineaux
S: Michael Griffin

I'm hoping Tommie Campbell shows enough to warrant taking over outside in NB situations and having Verner slide inside.

Also, Akeem Ayers could be a player at LB or DE. I hope Brown can help in the nickel, but Witherspoon may be there

Last edited by mightytitan9 : 05-08-2012 at 12:11 AM.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:56 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post

S: Jonathan Babineaux

I'm hoping Tommie Campbell shows enough to warrant taking over outside in NB situations and having Verner slide inside.

Also, Akeem Ayers could be a player at LB or DE. I hope Brown can help in the nickel, but Witherspoon may be there
I hope not...

And here's the best:

DE: Chris Clemons
DT: Jason Jones
DT: Brandon Mebane
DE: Bruce Irvin
LB: LeRoy Hill/Barrett Ruud/Bobby Wagner
LB: K.J. Wright
CB: Richard Sherman
CB: Brandon Browner
NB: Marcus Trufant
FS: Earl Thomas
SS: Kam Chancellor
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:12 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I hope not...

And here's the best:
LOL I noticed that after I sent it, it has been corrected
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:54 PM    (permalink
XxXdragonXxX
Pro Bowler

XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I hope not...

And here's the best:

DE: Chris Clemons
DT: Jason Jones
DT: Brandon Mebane
DE: Bruce Irvin
LB: LeRoy Hill/Barrett Ruud/Bobby Wagner
LB: K.J. Wright
CB: Richard Sherman
CB: Brandon Browner
NB: Marcus Trufant
FS: Earl Thomas
SS: Kam Chancellor
Im not sure that Trufant will be in there over Thurmond. And I wouldn't be shocked to see Korey Toomer see time in the nickel defense.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I hope Ayers gets his pass rush attempts in Nickle now, leaving Morgan in usually in the base D. I can see Martin playing Nickle,he's far from just a NT. i wonder if Markelle Martin could maybe man the NB position? I'll be disappointed if Brown doesn't a least play Nickle right away. And wouldn't it be great if we found another 7th round CB steal?
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:39 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

With Finnegan gone, I'm not sure who takes over at NB. I dunno if Verner fits it very well. Apparently some video on the Titans website hints that Coty Sensabaugh was drafted for the NB role. I dunno if Campbell breaks into any starting role this year. I also wonder if they'd have a outside guy on base packages (i.e. Verner) move inside with nickel - I'd think they'd prefer to keep who is outside consistent across all packages. I know Finny did this at times but he gave them that luxury - Verner is a decent CB but that sort of versatility seems more suited to a more experienced veteran.

And yeah, I believe Ayers is meant to be tried as a nickel DE. This probably hinges on how Morgan goes as a pass rusher - I suspect they think he is probably more a base 4-3 DE and might come out in nickel packages.

Last edited by OzTitan : 05-14-2012 at 05:43 PM.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:23 AM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan View Post
With Finnegan gone, I'm not sure who takes over at NB. I dunno if Verner fits it very well. Apparently some video on the Titans website hints that Coty Sensabaugh was drafted for the NB role. I dunno if Campbell breaks into any starting role this year. I also wonder if they'd have a outside guy on base packages (i.e. Verner) move inside with nickel - I'd think they'd prefer to keep who is outside consistent across all packages. I know Finny did this at times but he gave them that luxury - Verner is a decent CB but that sort of versatility seems more suited to a more experienced veteran.

And yeah, I believe Ayers is meant to be tried as a nickel DE. This probably hinges on how Morgan goes as a pass rusher - I suspect they think he is probably more a base 4-3 DE and might come out in nickel packages.
Verner got plenty of NB reps his rookie year, I thought he was good there. He's played inside and out so I'd say he somewhat got "vet" status now, at least with the roster we have. I think they'd want Coty to learn mostly one position his rookie year, and I'd guess NB since that seems the norm around here. So maybe Verner stays outside if they feel Coty can play right away inside.

Campbell's size and speed keep us all hopeful I guess, but I wonder if they'd try him at S.

It'll be tragic if they don't put Ayers hand in the dirt more this year. He's got skills there and we obviously need all the pass rush help we can get. They have said they will use him there more this year, so that's encouraging at least.

Morgan did lead the team in QBH's last year even if he only had like 2.5 sacks. He was coming on later in the year, they said he was settling in from the ACL. I imagine they still want to try him some in pass rush situations.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:01 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My best guess for Dallas

RE: D Ware
DT: Ratliff
LE: Spencer/Tyrone Crawford

LB: Sean Lee
LB: Bruce Carter

LCB: Brandon Carr
RCB: Morris Claiborne
NB: Mike Jenkins

SS: Gerald Sensabaugh
FS: Brodney Pool
Rover: Orlando Scandrick

Technically not a nickel D but Rob Ryan perfers DBs/LBs on the field as opposed to DL on passing downs. He also likes to mix it up and group stange personel combos in different packages where we could have 0 DL and 6 LBs and 5 DBs, Victor Butler is a pass rush specialist who gets moved around a lot and I have a feeling 4th round picks Kyle Wilber and Matt Johnson will find some kind of hybrid roles in some packages. But as for our base pass D I'd have to assume hed go with the above look. Scandrick will be a wildcard, he's played S, NCB, and has been a nice blitz option for us from the secondary... Rob will probably get real creative with Scandrick now that he has Mo and Carr to man up on the outsides.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 05-17-2012 at 08:04 AM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Packers play mostly Nickel, likely upwards of 80% of Defensive snaps this upcoming season, with a 2-4-5 alignment loosely based on a 3-4.

We usually line our DTs up as 2 or 3 techniques with the focus being on penetrating the backfield. Then we bring additional pressure mainly from the OLBs but also plenty of blitzes from one of the ILBs and the slot corner, who typically is more of a freelancing safety/corner/linebacker hybrid.

We focused on improving the talent to run this scheme in the draft and our likely depth chart looks like this.

LOLB: Nick Perry
DT: Jerel Worthy
DT:B.J Raji
ROLB: Clay Matthews
ILB: D.J. Smith
ILB: Desmond Bishop
CB: Sam Shields
CB: Tramon Williams
Slot CB: Casey Heyward
SS: Charles Woodson
FS: Morgan Burnett

The question marks on here would be one of the ILBs (position battle between A.J. Hawk/D.J. Smith and Terrell Manning) and whether we keep Woodson as our slot corner or move him to safety and plug in one of Casey Heyward/Devon House/Jarrett Bush. The rest of the depth chart is basically set, barring a huge disappointment by Worthy or Shields in the preseason.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:12 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
The Packers play mostly Nickel, likely upwards of 80% of Defensive snaps this upcoming season, with a 2-4-5 alignment loosely based on a 3-4.

We usually line our DTs up as 2 or 3 techniques with the focus being on penetrating the backfield. Then we bring additional pressure mainly from the OLBs but also plenty of blitzes from one of the ILBs and the slot corner, who typically is more of a freelancing safety/corner/linebacker hybrid.

We focused on improving the talent to run this scheme in the draft and our likely depth chart looks like this.

LOLB: Nick Perry
DT: Jerel Worthy
DT:B.J Raji
ROLB: Clay Matthews
ILB: D.J. Smith
ILB: Desmond Bishop
CB: Sam Shields
CB: Tramon Williams
Slot CB: Casey Heyward
SS: Charles Woodson
FS: Morgan Burnett

The question marks on here would be one of the ILBs (position battle between A.J. Hawk/D.J. Smith and Terrell Manning) and whether we keep Woodson as our slot corner or move him to safety and plug in one of Casey Heyward/Devon House/Jarrett Bush. The rest of the depth chart is basically set, barring a huge disappointment by Worthy or Shields in the preseason.
Packers definitely appear to have attempted to upgrade their nickel D. I see 3 new faces in there. All good players.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:03 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DE: John Abraham
DT: Jonathan Babineaux
DT: Corey Peters
DE: Ray Edwards / Kroy Bierman
LB: Sean Weatherspoon
LB: Stephen Nicholas
CB: Asante Samuel
CB: Brent Grimes
NB: Dunta Robinson
FS: Thomas DeCoud
SS: William Moore
Old 05-07-2012, 10:03 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DE: Jason Pierre-Paul
DT: Chris Canty
DT: Linval Joseph
DE: Justin Tuck
LB: Jacquain Williams
LB: Michael Boley
CB: Corey Webster
CB: Prince Amukamara
CB/S: Terrell Thomas
S: Kenny Phillips
S: Antrel Rolle

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
DE: Jason Pierre-Paul
DT: Chris Canty
DT: Linval Joseph
DE: Justin Tuck
LB: Jacquain Williams
LB: Michael Boley
CB: Corey Webster
CB: Prince Amukamara
CB/S: Terrell Thomas
S: Kenny Phillips
S: Antrel Rolle
good lord I just popped a chub
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote