Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-12-2013, 11:46 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Looks like this is Jason's team now

Been trying to digest the **** storm that this offseason has brought upon us. I was really upset with the Rob Ryan firing, but it's been a few days and I'm learning to be hopeful of our new changes. I hope the Rams defense sucks cause I don't want to be too pissed off that we let him go.

So I think I've collected my thoughts on the topic (which seems to be changing by the minute). But typing things out is an outlet that helps me to settle my sanity, so if you're not interested, just click the back button. No worries, this might get wordy, and I might be completely wrong, but it's just my own interpretation. hey hey hey! :)

So when Jerry first called for changes with no intention of getting rid of himself (as GM) or our HC or our QB, I thought changes would come mostly in how things were run, not so much personnel changes but more cultural changes about how some things were done around Valley Ranch...ie, Jerry ending his "open door" policy between him and players. ...and if anything was made maybe finally getting a new OC, ST coach or a couple position coaches. I thought more accountability would be put on Garrett. But things unraveled pretty quickly once they announced the firing of Rob Ryan.

At first I thought the Rob firing was a Jerry move, and I was STEAMED!... but the more I thought about it the more I started to put the pieces together that this was actually a Garrett move. A Garrett move made possible by Jerry empowering him more, but nevertheless, certainly a Garrett move.

A few days ago, I posted that I thought Jerry needed to make Garrett "the man"...taking the diapers off. I thought he needed to give Garrett the same freedom and reign that Jimmy had and Parcells had. Those were the 2 best eras under Jerry and I thought we needed to go back to that in order to get back on the right track.

So it looked like "empowering" Jason was step #1 of Jerry's "changes are coming" spew. GOOD!, cause Jason Garrett needed to become the full time HC, not just in title, but in action, in ability, in decision making, in problem solving and in force. Jason being the one to call Rob on his vacation to break the news was a huge sign to me that Jerry had in fact put things in Garrett's hands. It wasn't Jerry firing Rob over the phone. It was Jason firing Rob. It's was Jason's words that were the only official release from the team regarding Rob's firing.

Quote:
"I want to express my appreciation to Rob for all of his efforts and contributions to the Cowboys over the past two years. At this time, the decision has been made to move forward in a different direction philosophically on defense. I have an immense amount of respect for Rob as a person and as a football coach and I wish him and his family the very best."
-- Jason Garrett
The cries for Garrett's head to roll after the loss to Washington were loud and clear and it clearly made Jerry very uncomfortable (even in his own words). So when Jerry and Jason sat down about everything after the season, I imagine a part of it went something like, "Hey Jerry, I know I've put you in an uncomfortable spot. I hear what the media is saying, but if I'm not going to be fired now and I'm going to be given another chance, then I want all the responsibility. If I fail, I can go out knowing that I did everything I could to the best of my ability." What I'm hoping is that Jerry put a condition on that... that if Jason is to be given more, then he needs to give up the job of OC. That's to be seen, but I hope that change is coming.

So here we are the day after the news broke that the Cowboys have hired Monte Kiffin. Is it Jerry here talking about it? No. Here's the only team announcement I found (on ESPN):

Quote:
Jason Garrett in a statement released through the team: "I know Monte from spending time together with him with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and had a chance to see him coach up close on a day-to-day basis. His ability to teach everything--from the smallest fundamental details to the big picture of the overall defensive scheme—was always very impressive to me."
Further providing evidence that not only was the Rob firing Jason's doing, but the Monte hiring was Jason's doing. I had no idea of the connection between the two, but it's simply stated there how Jason saw him on a day-to-day basis in Tampa Bay. A lot of people who thought Jerry was looking for another "splash" signing are being mislead here. This is another Garrett move. Jerry has always been a guy who can be easily convinced if you hype him up enough.

Things I like about the Kiffin hire are:
- He and Garrett have a working relationship together from the 2004 season when Jason was with the Bucs.
- Carroll (Kiffin guy) is having success with his hybrid 4-3 defense (with 3-4 personnel).
- Kiffin is a guru of his defense. Following the trend of Parcells (guru of the 3-4, 2 gap) and Wade Phillips (guru of the 3-4, 1 gap) when our defense has been at it's best... this must have been a selling point to Jerry.
- Kiffin should be able to bring in some great position coaches seeing how long he has been around the game and the guys who he has worked with (Lovie Smith, Pete Carroll, Rod Marinelli, Tony Dungy, Herm Edwards, Mike Tomlin, Raheem Morris and many more..)
- Kiffin is a guy who only wants to be DC. Not some hot shot looking to boost his resume. This could even be his last job in football.
- Kiffin is looking to rebuild his reputation after recent years of failure.

So I'm laying off the hate on Jerry this offseason if this trend continues. To me this looks like Garrett is taking the reigns and putting his full stamp on the team. With it, will come the highest expectations and little room for failure. But I think this is the way things have to happen for the Cowboys to be in the right direction. Less Jerry decision making and more HC decision making.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:52 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not coming in here to troll, just saw the post is all.

I'm letting you know right now, that even though Pete was mentored by Monte their defenses are nowhere near the same. Pete runs primarily man defense he is not afraid to blitz and bring pressure. Monte gets into that tampa 2 look and I swear there are times when you see nothing but the T2. Monte is very conservative and plays a bend but dont break defense while Pete is VERY aggressive.

Pete will run a T2 look on 3rd and long from time to time, but he has not copied Monte's defense by any means. Monte's Tampa Bay defenses were very small, they sacraficed size for speed while Pete's defenses (at USC and in Seattle) are very big and very strong. It would be hard to find a defense like Seattle's being coached by Monte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Last edited by SickwithIt1010 : 01-12-2013 at 11:54 PM.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:44 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt101

I'm letting you know right now, that even though Pete was mentored by Monte their defenses are nowhere near the same. Pete runs primarily man defense he is not afraid to blitz and bring pressure. Monte gets into that tampa 2 look and I swear there are times when you see nothing but the T2. Monte is very conservative and plays a bend but dont break defense while Pete is VERY aggressive.

Pete will run a T2 look on 3rd and long from time to time, but he has not copied Monte's defense by any means. Monte's Tampa Bay defenses were very small, they sacraficed size for speed while Pete's defenses (at USC and in Seattle) are very big and very strong. It would be hard to find a defense like Seattle's being coached by Monte.
I'm one of the guys more encouraged by Monte's teams ability to create turnovers. We have been notoriously bad at it and you can see the advantages that it creates for your team.

I agree with D. It seems pretty clear that jason has been given full control but there is still more to come.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post

Thanks for posting. True, I may have said that Pete's defense in Seattle is one of the reasons why I like the Monte hire, but I don't expect them to run the same stuff exactly. For one, our personnel are different. Two, Pete has had several influences besides Monte in his career and like any good coach, he takes something from each and additionally, puts his own twist on it.

I'm not sure what Monte will run here, but I think he's going to adapt things to our personnel and that could allow him to be more creative than he has in the past. One thing about Monte's bend but don't break defense that is interesting is normally you'd think those defenses give up a lot of yardage and stay on the field a long time, but in Monte's case, his defenses have been near the top in yardage allowed per game.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:21 PM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Kiffin

U dont have to blitz to get to the QB. I THINK THE 4-3 will help our secondary and we can always send a safety on a delayed blitz. The 3-4 HS to have exotic blitzes because right from the beginning u only have 3 down DL and ur lb has to run with the RB WITH more time to pressure the QB .....THE QB CAN EAT US ALIVE. I am optimistic like I am every year.
chrlopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:21 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrlopez1 View Post
U dont have to blitz to get to the QB. I THINK THE 4-3 will help our secondary and we can always send a safety on a delayed blitz. The 3-4 HS to have exotic blitzes because right from the beginning u only have 3 down DL and ur lb has to run with the RB WITH more time to pressure the QB .....THE QB CAN EAT US ALIVE. I am optimistic like I am every year.
well the past 2 yrs its been a struggle to rush the passer with only 4. i do think if they keep ratliff that moving him to the 3 tech would be less wear and tear but still he hardly played this maybe the years playing nt are catching up to him as well as ware
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:21 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
well the past 2 yrs its been a struggle to rush the passer with only 4. i do think if they keep ratliff that moving him to the 3 tech would be less wear and tear but still he hardly played this maybe the years playing nt are catching up to him as well as ware
I still believe that the absence of safeties who can cover has resulted in problems being able to generate more pass rush on the QB. It definitely had a role in Rob blitzing less. Bend but don't break defenses make it easier for QBs to take the underneath stuff which results in quicker releases and less chances for our defensive front to generate sacks.

Kiffin's defense is more of the same "bend but don't break" philosophy, but the key element for him was having hard hitting safeties who were counted on to jar the ball away from defenders by delivering vicious hits. So they would entice teams to throw underneath and when they did, they would try to blow up receivers.

With the new passing friendly rules, Kiffin's defensive philosophy takes a HUGE hit. That's why teams are going away from it, but only keeping parts of it. I also think that's why he hasn't been successful in recent years. It should be called the "Yellow Flag" defense.

Talking about this reminds me of why I was so upset initially at the hiring. All I'm hoping for is that Monte will be able to once again use his guru prowess to evolve his defense once again. How? I dunno, but he can't expect to rebuild the 2002 Bucs defense and have the same success.

I keep hearing analyst suggest, how we need to find ourselves the next Sapp, Rice, Brooks, Lynch, etc.... Forget it. Monte needs to evolve... just like Carroll has evolved... like Lovie has evolved... etc etc.

With Jason in charge now, I hope he communicates that to Kiffin.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:15 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He was much better at it in the pro game than he was the past couple years at SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:40 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Excellent post D.

Also Kiffin has already stated he is not forcing our press corners to fit his system. He'll be evolving it to make it work. Meaning we'll end up with something more akin to Seattle/Chicago than the old Tampa 2.

Hell it would even be acceptable to play "Press and Bail" zone coverage. Alternate it with press-man and you end up with QBs reading the wrong coverage and INTs are bound to happen.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:33 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Excellent post D.

Also Kiffin has already stated he is not forcing our press corners to fit his system. He'll be evolving it to make it work. Meaning we'll end up with something more akin to Seattle/Chicago than the old Tampa 2.

Hell it would even be acceptable to play "Press and Bail" zone coverage. Alternate it with press-man and you end up with QBs reading the wrong coverage and INTs are bound to happen.
You've said this twice in the thread now. Can you link where Monte Kiffin stated anything since becoming a member of the cowboys? I haven't found a link and was under the assumption we wouldn't have a press conference until the positional coaches were in place.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
You've said this twice in the thread now. Can you link where Monte Kiffin stated anything since becoming a member of the cowboys? I haven't found a link and was under the assumption we wouldn't have a press conference until the positional coaches were in place.
Here is a quote from our former scouting director Larry Lacewell:

Quote:
That’s a not-so-subtle reminder that the Cowboys ranked 19th in passing defense last season despite signing Brandon Carr to a five-year, $50.1 million deal and trading their first two picks to move up to sixth overall and select Morris Claiborne.

Lacewell said Kiffin asks his corners to play “much more man than you think” despite being based on his Cover 2 looks. Whether they’re playing man or zone, the corners play press a lot, which Lacewell figures will play to the strength of Carr and Claiborne.

When the corners do bail into zone coverage, their mission is to take away the outs and comebacks. That puts pressure on the safeties to cover the post.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/

I know I have seen it elsewhere Ill continue to look.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Been trying to digest the **** storm that this offseason has brought upon us. I was really upset with the Rob Ryan firing, but it's been a few days and I'm learning to be hopeful of our new changes. I hope the Rams defense sucks cause I don't want to be too pissed off that we let him go.

So I think I've collected my thoughts on the topic (which seems to be changing by the minute). But typing things out is an outlet that helps me to settle my sanity, so if you're not interested, just click the back button. No worries, this might get wordy, and I might be completely wrong, but it's just my own interpretation. hey hey hey! :)

So when Jerry first called for changes with no intention of getting rid of himself (as GM) or our HC or our QB, I thought changes would come mostly in how things were run, not so much personnel changes but more cultural changes about how some things were done around Valley Ranch...ie, Jerry ending his "open door" policy between him and players. ...and if anything was made maybe finally getting a new OC, ST coach or a couple position coaches. I thought more accountability would be put on Garrett. But things unraveled pretty quickly once they announced the firing of Rob Ryan.

At first I thought the Rob firing was a Jerry move, and I was STEAMED!... but the more I thought about it the more I started to put the pieces together that this was actually a Garrett move. A Garrett move made possible by Jerry empowering him more, but nevertheless, certainly a Garrett move.

A few days ago, I posted that I thought Jerry needed to make Garrett "the man"...taking the diapers off. I thought he needed to give Garrett the same freedom and reign that Jimmy had and Parcells had. Those were the 2 best eras under Jerry and I thought we needed to go back to that in order to get back on the right track.

So it looked like "empowering" Jason was step #1 of Jerry's "changes are coming" spew. GOOD!, cause Jason Garrett needed to become the full time HC, not just in title, but in action, in ability, in decision making, in problem solving and in force. Jason being the one to call Rob on his vacation to break the news was a huge sign to me that Jerry had in fact put things in Garrett's hands. It wasn't Jerry firing Rob over the phone. It was Jason firing Rob. It's was Jason's words that were the only official release from the team regarding Rob's firing.

The cries for Garrett's head to roll after the loss to Washington were loud and clear and it clearly made Jerry very uncomfortable (even in his own words). So when Jerry and Jason sat down about everything after the season, I imagine a part of it went something like, "Hey Jerry, I know I've put you in an uncomfortable spot. I hear what the media is saying, but if I'm not going to be fired now and I'm going to be given another chance, then I want all the responsibility. If I fail, I can go out knowing that I did everything I could to the best of my ability." What I'm hoping is that Jerry put a condition on that... that if Jason is to be given more, then he needs to give up the job of OC. That's to be seen, but I hope that change is coming.

So here we are the day after the news broke that the Cowboys have hired Monte Kiffin. Is it Jerry here talking about it? No. Here's the only team announcement I found (on ESPN):

Further providing evidence that not only was the Rob firing Jason's doing, but the Monte hiring was Jason's doing. I had no idea of the connection between the two, but it's simply stated there how Jason saw him on a day-to-day basis in Tampa Bay. A lot of people who thought Jerry was looking for another "splash" signing are being mislead here. This is another Garrett move. Jerry has always been a guy who can be easily convinced if you hype him up enough.

Things I like about the Kiffin hire are:
- He and Garrett have a working relationship together from the 2004 season when Jason was with the Bucs.
- Carroll (Kiffin guy) is having success with his hybrid 4-3 defense (with 3-4 personnel).
- Kiffin is a guru of his defense. Following the trend of Parcells (guru of the 3-4, 2 gap) and Wade Phillips (guru of the 3-4, 1 gap) when our defense has been at it's best... this must have been a selling point to Jerry.
- Kiffin should be able to bring in some great position coaches seeing how long he has been around the game and the guys who he has worked with (Lovie Smith, Pete Carroll, Rod Marinelli, Tony Dungy, Herm Edwards, Mike Tomlin, Raheem Morris and many more..)
- Kiffin is a guy who only wants to be DC. Not some hot shot looking to boost his resume. This could even be his last job in football.
- Kiffin is looking to rebuild his reputation after recent years of failure.

So I'm laying off the hate on Jerry this offseason if this trend continues. To me this looks like Garrett is taking the reigns and putting his full stamp on the team. With it, will come the highest expectations and little room for failure. But I think this is the way things have to happen for the Cowboys to be in the right direction. Less Jerry decision making and more HC decision making.
I swear I made this exact same post to you when you were about to jump off a cliff after they fired Ryan.

Without so many words though.

Trust in JG. Cowboys make the NFC Championship at the very least this year.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Trust in JG. Cowboys make the NFC Championship at the very least this year.
*sigh* I guess some of us never learn. But I guess the last 5 years here have shown that we are asbolutely a team who will "at the very least" make the NFC championship game ahhahahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

A lot of folks tried to reel me in from the ledge when Dallas fired Rob. I'm sure you were one of them FreshBoy. I'm not completely over my worries with the Kiffin hire as he'll need to make adjustments to his system in order to fit us and fit the new NFL rules. But I'm THRILLED with Garrett off of playcalling and that announcement solidified what I had hoped was gonna happen when I made that original post.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was iffy on it from a football standpoint but from an accounting viewpoint I couldn't argue the switch to 4-3 which meant cutting ties with Rob.

The assistant coach hires have been absolutely amazing. Add in JG off play-calling and it feels more like a dream offseason than a nightmare.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I was iffy on it from a football standpoint but from an accounting viewpoint I couldn't argue the switch to 4-3 which meant cutting ties with Rob.

The assistant coach hires have been absolutely amazing. Add in JG off play-calling and it feels more like a dream offseason than a nightmare.
Yup, results aside, at least we got the right kind of coaching structure finally in place. I never thought Jason would be able to give up the playcalling. I like him a hell of a lot more now as a HC.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:32 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just finally started reading this thread. Do you really feel this is "Jason's" team? I find that hard to swallow since he's been forced to give up the play calling duties and force his brother out.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:54 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it is give and take, Jason wanted some more personnel power so Jerry made a deal to swap some things around if he gave up being the primary play caller. That being said I fully expect a JG playbook and a good amount of input from Jason throughout the game. He just won't be the one to radio calls into Romo.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I just finally started reading this thread. Do you really feel this is "Jason's" team? I find that hard to swallow since he's been forced to give up the play calling duties and force his brother out.
I agree that giving up the playcalling wasn't Jason's idea, but I do think it was the price he had to pay in order to get Jerry to hand him the reigns. Up to this point Jason was still hand cuffed. He didn't have the team in his hands like Jimmy and Bill did. I do think that is the case now. I think now that Jason is a "walk around" HC, that we'll have better synchronization, better function and better results. I always was fond of Jason's approach to the kind of team he wanted to build. Now, that he's "the man", I think we'll continue to see him as the focal voice of the team.

The true test will be to see if Jerry makes the announcement that Callahan is the OC, or if Jason makes it.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I agree that giving up the playcalling wasn't Jason's idea, but I do think it was the price he had to pay in order to get Jerry to hand him the reigns. Up to this point Jason was still hand cuffed. He didn't have the team in his hands like Jimmy and Bill did. I do think that is the case now. I think now that Jason is a "walk around" HC, that we'll have better synchronization, better function and better results. I always was fond of Jason's approach to the kind of team he wanted to build. Now, that he's "the man", I think we'll continue to see him as the focal voice of the team.

The true test will be to see if Jerry makes the announcement that Callahan is the OC, or if Jason makes it.
Pretty much this except I don't agree with the last part. Jerry is the mouthpiece of this organization and would be the mandated public speaker at every post-game interview if the NFL didn't require head coaches to show.

Garrett was rumored to of wanted the 4-3 when he first signed but we told we would run the 3-4. If anything I think the fact he was allowed to fire Ryan and bring in Kiffin to run his 4-3 shows that Garrett has been given the reins.

I hold Garrett's SCHEME in high regard but his play-calling especially situation-based has always been poor perhaps he reviewed the tape and noticed. That or as D mentioned perhaps the deal was he would be given staff control but would have to delegate playcalling.

In any case I am MUCH more excited about the upcoming season at this stage compared to last year. We have a ton of excellent pieces but we really need to nail the draft and find some bargain free agents to get closer to the teams potential.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:36 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man I see this as Jerrys team and Jason has 1 year left. If we make the playoffs then Jason stays, if not he is gone. Stripped of play calling and told to dump his brother? That is absolutely not from Jason. Who knows how the Ryan firing went down but I suspect Jerry decided changes had to be made and fired him just for the sake of making changes, or Jason threw him under the bus to take the heat off of his performance. I dont believe for one second that this is Jasons team. He has less security now than hes ever had IMO.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:08 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Man I see this as Jerrys team and Jason has 1 year left. If we make the playoffs then Jason stays, if not he is gone. Stripped of play calling and told to dump his brother? That is absolutely not from Jason. Who knows how the Ryan firing went down but I suspect Jerry decided changes had to be made and fired him just for the sake of making changes, or Jason threw him under the bus to take the heat off of his performance. I dont believe for one second that this is Jasons team. He has less security now than hes ever had IMO.
Honestly, even if he has another bad season, I don't think Jason is fired. I think that was also part of the discussion about Jason having to give up playcalling.

But ultimately, I think Jerry is doing what's best for Jason. I think he really wants Jason to succeed as a HC. Taking away playcalling and getting rid of Jason's older brother are things that needed to happen in order for this to be truly Jason's team. I think the older brother influence might've been uncomfortable for Jerry to see at times. Not that John was a bad TE coach. It was the relationship that needed to be cut. All of these moves this offseason really involved some give and take between the two, but they were tough moves that I believe help Jason to fully take the reigns.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:39 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Pretty much this except I don't agree with the last part. Jerry is the mouthpiece of this organization and would be the mandated public speaker at every post-game interview if the NFL didn't require head coaches to show.

Garrett was rumored to of wanted the 4-3 when he first signed but we told we would run the 3-4. If anything I think the fact he was allowed to fire Ryan and bring in Kiffin to run his 4-3 shows that Garrett has been given the reins.

I hold Garrett's SCHEME in high regard but his play-calling especially situation-based has always been poor perhaps he reviewed the tape and noticed. That or as D mentioned perhaps the deal was he would be given staff control but would have to delegate playcalling.

In any case I am MUCH more excited about the upcoming season at this stage compared to last year. We have a ton of excellent pieces but we really need to nail the draft and find some bargain free agents to get closer to the teams potential.
Link? I have never heard that

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont' know why, but I agree with this. For some reason I get the feeling that Jerry loves Garrett and is going to take care of him.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:29 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So if we go 8-8 again and miss the play-offs, you really feel JJ will keep Jason around? I think anything short of the play-offs costs him his job.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote