Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default At this point, what do we make of Peyton Manning's legacy?

Peyton Manning is 9-11 all time in the playoffs and has been one and done 8 times. Joe Flacco is 7-4 in his fifth year in the league. This isn't to paint a picture between those two specific players, but with Tom Brady now passing Joe Montana as the leader in career playoff wins, I think it's time to revisit the debate in terms of where Peyton Manning stands among the all time greats. There are those who believe he is the greatest quarterback of all time and this recent stint probably doesn't change that perception. And even though the entire season isn't over, Manning's is. So I'm curious to what people here think regarding his spot with everyone else. Now I'm sure not everyone has seen the all time greats play game after game after game Sunday to Sunday, but if you have some idea then please voice your opinion.

For me, Manning's memorable moments are mostly bad ones. I still say he's one of the all time greats of course, but if we're talking maybe Mount Rushmore of quarterbacks or top five just within the Super Bowl era, I don't know if he goes on that list. It's really hard for me to put him there.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:31 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Greatest regular season qb of all time. Ok playoff qb. Overall still a top 5 qb of all time.

Just not as good as Brady. Who might be the greatest qb of all time if he wins another Super Bowl.

This last loss wasn't his fault though. Not entirely at least.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Greatest regular season qb of all time. Ok playoff qb. Overall still a top 5 qb of all time.

Just not as good as Brady. Who might be the greatest qb of all time if he wins another Super Bowl.

Always been my favorite player. Immortal Regular season QB, who probably wins his 5th MVP. But come playoff time, I don't want him to be my QB.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:03 PM    (permalink
RaiderDiehard
Rookie

RaiderDiehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderDiehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderDiehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderDiehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderDiehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderDiehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderDiehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderDiehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderDiehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderDiehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderDiehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

THIS.

He sneaks into the Top 5, whereas Marino doesn't.
RaiderDiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Montana
Unitas
Brady
Elway
Young

That's my list. And in no specific order, just more so an overall group. Peyton Manning is right on the outside for me. I think Brees could join that list very soon.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 01-15-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:00 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Montana
Brady
Unitas
Brady
Elway
Young

That's my list. And in no specific order, just more so an overall group. Peyton Manning is right on the outside for me. I think Brees could join that list very soon.
Any reason why you have Brady on that list twice?

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:40 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
Any reason why you have Brady on that list twice?
No just a typo. I'll fix it.

Quote:
Old 01-16-2013, 12:25 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Montana
Unitas
Brady
Elway
Young

I would probably switch out Unitas for Gannon. Otherwise this list is spot on.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:31 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Please tell me you are joking.

I got Montana #1 and Elway #2 after that it's toss up for me between a hand full of guys.

With Steve Young and Rich Gannon not being in the discussion.

Last edited by Splat : 01-16-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Post-1980:

Steve Young
Drew Brees
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Post-1980:

Steve Young
Drew Brees
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
Dude. Any Post-1980 list has to include Favre. Bro, do you even watch football? Even any film at all, in the past 20 years?

JK, but Favre was clearly better than Brees. Everybody else, maybe not so much.

Last edited by WCH : 01-16-2013 at 10:40 PM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:20 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Please tell me you are joking.

I got Montana #1 and Elway #2 after that it's toss up for me between a hand full of guys.

With Steve Young and Rich Gannon not being in the discussion.
He set records before the league rules changed. He still has the record for most completions in a single game. He has the record for highest completion percentage in a game with at least 30 passes. He set the single season completion record, one that had stood for 11 years. He had another season with 3400 yards passing and 500 yards rushing--the oldest player to complete that feet by 4 years.

Gannon has clearly performed at a high level in an offensive environment entirely different from the one you see today. He is on another level from the guys who are putting up video game numbers today. And in an era with nearly the same offensive rules that Unitas played in, Gannon blows the former Raven out of the water. I mean come on. Unitas' career completion percentage is under 55%. He does not belong on QB Mt Rushmore. That honor clearly goes to the original dual threat QB, the pioneer of modern passing, Rich Gannon.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:33 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He set records before the league rules changed. He still has the record for most completions in a single game. He has the record for highest completion percentage in a game with at least 30 passes. He set the single season completion record, one that had stood for 11 years. He had another season with 3400 yards passing and 500 yards rushing--the oldest player to complete that feet by 4 years.

Gannon has clearly performed at a high level in an offensive environment entirely different from the one you see today. He is on another level from the guys who are putting up video game numbers today. And in an era with nearly the same offensive rules that Unitas played in, Gannon blows the former Raven out of the water. I mean come on. Unitas' career completion percentage is under 55%. He does not belong on QB Mt Rushmore. That honor clearly goes to the original dual threat QB, the pioneer of modern passing, Rich Gannon.
Now, you completely lost me, Gannon had a nice career but top 5, not even close and comparing him to Unitas's stats is absurd. Totally different eras.
55% was an all star # in Unitas's era because throwing the ball was extremely tough back then.
Anybody who tries to compare stats between eras is just wasting their time. It is meaningless.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:20 PM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I blame Peyton for Raheem Moore's failure. Manning is 9-11 in the playoffs while Flacco is 7-4, therefore Flacco is a much better QB than Manning. The rest of the team makes no difference in the outcome of a game, only the QB matters.
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:47 AM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash View Post
I blame Peyton for Raheem Moore's failure. Manning is 9-11 in the playoffs while Flacco is 7-4, therefore Flacco is a much better QB than Manning. The rest of the team makes no difference in the outcome of a game, only the QB matters.
Manning has had a lot of awful games in the playoffs compared to what he does in the regular season.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:43 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash View Post
Moore didn't help matters obviously, but plays like this don't help his case either.

Quote:
Old 01-16-2013, 03:52 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's a verrrrrrrry interesting read for everyone:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...or-help/20868/
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:22 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Peyton deserves to be on top of Young for sure. The rest is up for debate. How far back do we go? Does Otto Graham belong in there? It's tough to say.

For me it's:

Montana
Brady
Unitas
Elway
Peyton
Old 01-15-2013, 11:39 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
I think Peyton deserves to be on top of Young for sure. The rest is up for debate. How far back do we go? Does Otto Graham belong in there? It's tough to say.

For me it's:

Montana
Brady
Unitas
Elway
Peyton
Anyone that has played post merger. I suppose I would include Unitas who was around at the time of the merger, but was clearly at the end of his career. Otherwise I include Graham and maybe a few others.

Quote:
Old 01-16-2013, 02:57 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

For me it's:

Montana
Brady
Unitas
Elway
Peyton
I think that Otto Graham has to be in this conversation. He was probably the most dominant QB in the history of the game. I think that three things work against him:

1. His first several seasons, the Browns were in the AAFL. They continued to dominate when they joined the NFL, but this still has to be mentioned.

2. You have to try really hard to find video footage of him. Most football fans alive today have never seen a full game that Otto Graham played in. We're doing good if we've seen a minute worth of highlights. There was no NFL Films in 1950.

3. Paul Brown was basically running the West Coast Offense 25 years before Bill Walsh started doing it. Graham was the first QB who could just drop into a pocket and throw a slant pass. I don't like to ding players for being in a certain system, but that's like driving a Cadillac when everybody else has a Model T.

Last edited by WCH : 01-16-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Lets also not forget that if we want to use the Brady won 3 Sbs off his defense, Manning won his ONLY SB off of his defense and running game. /End homer comment to stir up Brady Manning Debate
So what you're saying is Manning would have 4-5 Super Bowls if he had Brady's defense?

#tableturned
Old 01-16-2013, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
So what you're saying is Manning would have 4-5 Super Bowls if he had Brady's defense?

#tableturned
Playing in Foxboro without his all star supporting cast? Not a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post

#tableturned
I think Peyton is the best QB I've seen so far. I don't really think it's even close. At his peak, he was the "Robo Quarterback" that Todd Marinovich was raised to be. If Manning traded places with Brady 10 years ago, I think Belichick would have won damn near ALL the Super Bowls. And I'm a pretty big fan of Tom Brady.

Last edited by WCH : 01-16-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
7DnBrnc53
Rookie

7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.7DnBrnc53 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I think that Otto Graham has to be in this conversation. He was probably the most dominant QB in the history of the game. I think that three things work against him:

1. His first several seasons, the Browns were in the AAFL. They continued to dominate when they joined the NFL, but this still has to be mentioned.

2. You have to try really hard to find video footage of him. Most football fans alive today have never seen a full game that Otto Graham played in. We're doing good if we've seen a minute worth of highlights. There was no NFL Films in 1950.

3. Paul Brown was basically running the West Coast Offense 25 years before Bill Walsh started doing it. Graham was the first QB who could just drop into a pocket and throw a slant pass. I don't like to ding players for being in a certain system, but that's like driving a Cadillac when everybody else has a Model T.
Graham also played with eight other Hall of Famers, and that, along with playing for Paul Brown, is probably the reason why he isn't rated that highly.

Back to Brady, though. Someone earlier on this thread said that Brady evolves and changes every year. I don't think so. I think that the Pats change and evolve every year, not Brady. You have to give Belichick credit for that.

When they won those Super Bowls, it was a team effort, and Brady rode those teams a little bit. 2004 was the last time that they ran for 2,000 yards as a team(not counting 08 with Cassel)with Brady playing most of the games until this year.

Since 04, it seems that Brady has been more and more the focus of the offense, and they haven't won a Super Bowl with it all on his shoulders. Heck, they were lucky to get there last year. If it wasn't for Lee Evans and Billy Cundiff, they don't.

To win it this year, they need to keep running the ball effectively, and the defense needs to get turnovers. They got eight turnovers in the three SB wins, and only one in the two losses against the Giants.
7DnBrnc53 is offline   Reply With Quote