Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:04 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber
Default NFL Random Discussion Thread

Always has been.

Of course, this will be seen as blasphemous, trolling, blah blah blah. I. Do not. Care.

It needs to be said.

What impresses me the most about Romo, aside from his quick release, air-tight spirals, and accuracy intermediate-to-deep, is that he is doing all of this with a complete imbecile calling the plays (Jason Garrett). He's never relied on the system. You can spread it out and he can carve you up, but he'll do it despite not being given all the outlets and bunch formations and route combinations that the likes of Brady benefit from.

I will never forget how much different the Cowboys' offense looked when he took over for Drew Bledsoe in 2006. It was night and day. All of a sudden, the ball was coming out of there with urgency, and it was a deep-to-short look.

Brady, on the other hand, was always a product of a system. I'll give him credit for having terrific pocket presence and command of said system. That's where it ends. The number of impressive throws he makes per season is embarrassingly low for a supposed "legend." The supposed "clutchness" is obviously a myth, given that the Patriots lost two Super Bowls to the Giants resulting in large part from his poor play.

Romo could easily do what Brady did/does. Stand back there and dump it off underneath out of the spread, throw screens and hitches, only with much better and safer route designs? He'd be bored out of his mind in that offense. His interception totals would fall off a cliff, given he wouldn't have to take the chances he does in the system he's in. I'm sure it's as boring to play in the New England offense as it is to watch it. It's like watching paint dry.

But Romo doesn't get to live a life of glory and boredom like that. Instead, he gets to play for a redheaded idiot, with a mediocre defense and idiots ready to jump down his throat at every turn whenever he makes a mistake. Oh well, at least he's not married to a hideous, anorexic ****.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:07 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:12 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Veteran

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:23 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm waiting for the "Why Mark Brunell was better than Brett Favre" post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post

I've just started re-watching The Next Generation on Netflix. I loved that show when I was a kid, and it holds up.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:50 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

what did this ***** say to make Steve do that? where is that video?

Last edited by KCJ58 : 10-13-2013 at 06:53 PM.
KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:22 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Veteran

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJ58 View Post
I have no idea. I've been looking for it for ages.

Quote:
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:39 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have no idea. I've been looking for it for ages.
Docta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:52 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJ58 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:08 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:10 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Last edited by vidae : 10-12-2013 at 09:15 PM.
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:15 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post

Omg, the first one had me laughing so hard hahahahaha!

Please send me the youtube link!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:12 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:13 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So let me get this straight... Romo could be better, but has made the choice not to be because it is more interesting to make high risk throws that result in interceptions?
Old 10-12-2013, 09:19 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
So let me get this straight... Romo could be better, but has made the choice not to be because it is more interesting to make high risk throws that result in interceptions?
Excellent reading comprehension, dude. Way to go.

He didn't choose anything. Romo didn't hire Jason Garrett to scheme and call plays like it's 1991. Romo throws those higher risk passes because he has to...because the system that he's in doesn't give him easy completions all over the field on the majority of his dropbacks.

...Of course, since this is Patriot Fan Central, the land where Wes Welker is amazingggg and the Patriots are just like any other organization, only they win with GREAT PLAYERZZZZ, this thread's outcome was predictable.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:24 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Excellent reading comprehension, dude. Way to go.

He didn't choose anything. Romo didn't hire Jason Garrett to scheme and call plays like it's 1991. Romo throws those higher risk passes because he has to...because the system that he's in doesn't give him easy completions all over the field on the majority of his dropbacks.

...Of course, since this is Patriot Fan Central, the land where Wes Welker is amazingggg and the Patriots are just like any other organization, only they win with GREAT PLAYERZZZZ, this thread's outcome was predictable.
You know, I retract my reaction gifs. I did some research and you have a very strong point. Tom Brady is a product of a system. Just look at his career:

Throws 3 passes all season as he rides the bench.

Throws only 1 TD the entire playoffs as spying, defense and Adam Vinatieri carry him to a Super Bowl victory.

Throws for less yards than Kerry Collins in regular season as Patriots finish behind Dolphins and Jets in the AFC East to miss the playoffs.

Throws fewer TDs than Aaron Brooks in regular season; spying, defense and Adam Vinatieri carry him to another Super Bowl victory.

Throws fewer TDs than Jake Delhomme in regular season; spying, defense and Adam Vinatieri carry him to another Super Bowl victory.

Throw 2 INTs and gets outplayed by Jake Plummer as Patriots lose to Broncos in divisional round.

Throws 3 INTs with a 57.6 QB rating while barely getting by Chargers, implodes against the Colts in AFC Championship loss.

Throws 1 TD and gets outplayed by Eli Manning in the biggest choke in professional sports history, blowing immortality and a perfect season. "MVP" year.

Throws 11 passes before missing the entire rest of the year because he can't withstand a basic hit.

Throws 3 INTs at home with a 49.1 QB Rating in one & done elimination loss to the Ravens.

Throws INT after not throwing one since Week 5 and gets outplayed by Mark Sanchez in one & done elimination at home loss to Jets. "MVP" year.

Throws 2 INTs with a 57.5 QB Rating while barely getting by the Ravens, gets outplayed by Eli Manning in the Super Bowl... again.

Throws 2 INTs with a 62.3 QB Rating in AFC Championship loss to Ravens.

Career
7 playoff losses, as many as noted choke artist Donovan McNabb
Worse playoff winning percentage than Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Joe Theisman and Eli Manning
Hasn't won a Super Bowl without spying, defense or Adam Vinatieri to bail him out

Quote:
Old 10-12-2013, 09:18 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:49 PM    (permalink
Breed
Veteran

Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breed is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was have been on the Romo bandwagon.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Job Reborn
Veteran

Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone else disappointed the thread didn't include "and more productive"?
Job Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:05 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:29 PM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Omg Tony Romo Would Have Like 8 Super Bowl Trophies If He Was On The Pats Guyzzz
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:28 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:13 AM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm all for tearing down some of the myth around Brady but...

Romo having a Witten his whole career is glossed over.

A guy who has caught near 95% of what he can get his hands on.
And of the 90 catches per year he's grabbed.
50 are for 1st downs.

Also gets Terrell Owens for 2 years. The most or 2nd most productive WR of his generation.

Then Dez Bryant comes along who is pretty good.

2012 the team sucked at getting RBs to contribute.
But other than that 2007-present the Cowboys have been good in yards per carry.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:51 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVisor View Post
I'm all for tearing down some of the myth around Brady but...

Romo having a Witten his whole career is glossed over.

A guy who has caught near 95% of what he can get his hands on.
And of the 90 catches per year he's grabbed.
50 are for 1st downs.

Also gets Terrell Owens for 2 years. The most or 2nd most productive WR of his generation.

Then Dez Bryant comes along who is pretty good.

2012 the team sucked at getting RBs to contribute.
But other than that 2007-present the Cowboys have been good in yards per carry.
Witten's a good player but he has nowhere near the impact of, say, Randy Moss.

Prior to the 2007 season, the entire argument for Brady as an all-time great hinged on "ringzzzz." Now, Brady has 1 more ring than Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger. He also has been an utter flop in the postseason ever since the 2004 season.

So now it all comes down to Brady's system-related numbers and how they compare to what Romo has done under Idiot Redhead. I am far more impressed with Romo as a quarterback when I watch him than Brady, and that's what I think all people would think if they used their eyes and stopped getting caught up in the hype.

As is often the case, people have it completely backwards with the two of them. So many people call Romo "overrated" that he's probably the most underrated player in the NFL right now. Meanwhile, Brady has emerged as one of the game's most overrated players. A top 10 current quarterback, sure. Top 5? Maybe, I'd have to think about it. Legendary? In the GOAT discussion? Not a chance. He isn't fit to shine Drew Brees's shoes.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:24 AM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What I've come to believe is Peyton Manning is the best. Rodgers is 2nd.

Manning is Maddux. Mentally beyond the others.
Rodgers is Pedro. Nothing to brag about till 25yo. Top rate arm and arrogance.

Others are great but not this great. Sort them how you wish.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:15 AM    (permalink
DeadEagle
Rookie

DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
He also has been an utter flop in the postseason ever since the 2004 season.

..... and Romo has been a flop in late season/postseason games his whole life.

I win.

Thread over.
DeadEagle is offline   Reply With Quote