Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 10-25-2013, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Mock Draft 2.0 - 10/26/13

Just posted the second mock draft of the year!

As always constructive criticism is not only welcomed but encouraged.

However, please have the courtesy to explain the reasoning behind your opinions.

Let's do our best to keep this thread fun and informative! Now... FIRE AWAY! :)

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:22 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nauseating Patriots pick but pretty solid mock overall!
Old 10-25-2013, 10:33 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Nauseating Patriots pick but pretty solid mock overall!
Jace Amaro? No Good?

What direction do you think the Pats would go?

Old 10-26-2013, 07:40 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Jace Amaro? No Good?

What direction do you think the Pats would go?
I mean, the Pats' biggest needs for the 2014 draft right now are DL and Interior OL. Of course, if they don't pay Talib, things could get really bad in the CB department as well.

I don't see anything wrong with a TE if there isn't a quality defensive tackle or a mega-elite G/C to take in the first round...
Old 10-25-2013, 10:26 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Evans is a good pick for the Ravens. He's exactly the type of receiver they need and Flacco has never had. Boldin is in sort of the same mold but Evans has quite a bit more reach and there's no way he's slower. That pick would round out their receiver group really well.

For what it's worth I'm not worried about Monroe not getting a new deal. Offensive line could and probably will still be a big need though. Especially center. With Oher being a free agent I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a tackle in the first round either even if/when Monroe gets a new deal.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:41 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe a defensive tackle to eventually replace either Tommy Kelly or Wilfork, a strong safety depending on how the team feels about Duron Harmon's long term prospects, or an interior offensive lineman. I think the team is pretty comfortable with the transition to "11" personnel, getting Ridley or Vereen in at RB, Gronkowski at TE, and three of Amendola/Dobson/Edelman/Thompkins at WR. A "move" tight end would make sense at some point, but I see Amaro as more of an inline guy and not a particularly good value. Is it really a major upgrade to the team to draft him if it means taking a Dobson or Edelman off the field and leaving other positions undermanned? Guys like Ryan Wendell and Dan Connolly have played poorly enough this season to seriously consider drafting a lineman, and I think everyone knows older guys like Kelly and Steve Gregory aren't really long-term solutions on defense.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Maybe a defensive tackle to eventually replace either Tommy Kelly or Wilfork, a strong safety depending on how the team feels about Duron Harmon's long term prospects, or an interior offensive lineman. I think the team is pretty comfortable with the transition to "11" personnel, getting Ridley or Vereen in at RB, Gronkowski at TE, and three of Amendola/Dobson/Edelman/Thompkins at WR. A "move" tight end would make sense at some point, but I see Amaro as more of an inline guy and not a particularly good value. Is it really a major upgrade to the team to draft him if it means taking a Dobson or Edelman off the field and leaving other positions undermanned? Guys like Ryan Wendell and Dan Connolly have played poorly enough this season to seriously consider drafting a lineman, and I think everyone knows older guys like Kelly and Steve Gregory aren't really long-term solutions on defense.
Gotta disagree about Amaro being an inline guy.

He's more of a wide receiver / tight end hybrid who can line up, inline, in the slot, out wide, etc. Would be a perfect compliment to Rob Gronkowski and give the Pats what they lost with Aaron Hernandez. Definitely agree that they have other needs as well, namely defensive tackle, but I thought Amaro was the better fit at that point considering who was still on the board.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:36 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Marqise Lee is the first would work with Watkins and Evans gone, but no offense, suggesting we should consider taking an outside linebacker in the first is just bad.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
Suggesting we (Panthers) should consider taking an outside linebacker in the first is just bad.
Really? Are the Panthers starting linebackers in three years other than Luke Kuechly on the roster right now? Because I sure don't see it. I absolutely think Carolina will be bringing in one and probably two new outside linebackers sooner rather than later.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:31 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Really? Are the Panthers starting linebackers in three years other than Luke Kuechly on the roster right now? Because I sure don't see it. I absolutely think Carolina will be bringing in one and probably two new outside linebackers sooner rather than later.
Thomas Davis? No. Chase Blackburn? Probably. AJ Klein? Probably.

Losing Beason was irrelevant as he hasn't contributed in over two years, and we have Blackburn to replace what he did offer.

Sure, I wouldn't be surprised if we brought in more depth this offseason. But considering going outside linebacker in the draft this year, particularly given all of other needs, would be a horrible, horrible move.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:47 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with Matt. I wasn't a fan of the Amaro pick. Like he said a DT would be one of my preferences, especially with Wilfork going down this year and Tommy Kelly not being a long term solution. I might even prefer Purifoy or Richardson who you had go a few picks after. Like he said the interior of the Patriots line has been struggling and Richardson's presence would be beneficial to the Patriots.

Also the fact that Amaro is a junior makes it highly unikely for Belichick to spend a first round pick on him, he hasn't taken a guy without at least four years of college ball since 2006 when he picked Maroney. One guy who I think would be a good pick is Jordan Matthews. He fits a need at WR and is one of the best in the draft and he's a senior and a captain which is something that Belichick looks for in his draft picks. I could see Matthews being the smart but also talented WR who is able to impress Belichick enough to get him to spend a first round pick on a WR.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:49 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would be quite bummed if the saints went with DAT, he is sort of a 1 on 1 replacement for sproles, a player that doesnt need replacing. Tavon Austin was a base receiver which is why the saints could use him. At DAT position the saints even have the long term replacement ready with Travaris Cadet.

with this board id say kyle van noy

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:06 AM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There seems to be a mistake with this mock Scott, I don't see the Chiefs anywhere in the top 5. lol

I am curious on why you slotted Mettenberger to the Chiefs. I'm not arguing that they could use an upgrade from Alex Smith at all, just interested on your thoughts on why he'd be the best choice for Andy Reid's offense.

Personally I think McCarron is the best fit.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:41 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the fit of Anthony Barr for the Giants, I think he is an ideal fit in a Von Miller kind of role.

Many people would prefer Jake Matthews in that situation, but I think the Giants Online is solid at Tackle with Pugh and Beatty and the upgrades are likely to be needed inside.

I also don't see an urgent need at DE with JPP and Moore the likely future and wouldn't be surprised if Tuck returned at a cheaper contract.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:21 AM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has someone given Stephon Tuitt a GPS yet? Because that guy couldn't find the QB to save his life. I don't care how big or long he is. He plays slow and high and has horrible footwork. Doesn't make tackles in the backfield when he does beat someone. He looked like a developmental guy to me, because I don't see any pass rushing instincts. And now he's getting off to a slow start in what might be his last year in college? I haven't watched him this year - he's never really given me a reason to - but he looked pretty mediocre last year. I remember laughing at him when someone else on the Notre Dame defense would get a sack. Every time someone else got a sack Tuitt was still playing patty cake at the line of scrimmage. He was also nonexistent against Alabama - DJ Fluker looked really good against him. And he gets neutralized by running backs and tight ends. I think sticking him in the Top 10 is nothing more than profile scouting. His tape is going to turn people off unless he does a 180 down the stretch.

Sub in Eric Ebron @ 8 overall and I think you're talking much better value. I see the best TE prospect since Vernon Davis. He's such a fluid athlete and he looks great flexed out wide and as an in-line player, which I think is rare. It's usually one or the other. I think he's going to be in the Top 10 mix - I know, also rare, but I think he's that good. I like Ebron as much as any receiving threat in this upcoming draft.

You also said Kouandjio could be better than Warmack and Fluker. I don't think that's true. Unless you are putting greater importance on his position. His pass protection is a bigger area of concern than Fluker's was - Fluker did have slow feet, but he made up for it with his length and punch, which was exceptional. It allowed him to recover and he could be more imposing. Kouandjio is a little soft in pass protection, gives up inside moves too easily and his technique is inconsistent / poor. I don't know if he has short arms or if he just doesn't use his hands well, but he gets jacked up a lot. He's more of late first or early second rounder. But I don't doubt that Kouandjio gets pushed up because of his position. LTs don't grown on trees and he has a lot of potential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Last edited by BigBanger : 10-26-2013 at 07:22 AM.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
Has someone given Stephon Tuitt a GPS yet? Because that guy couldn't find the QB to save his life. I don't care how big or long he is. He plays slow and high and has horrible footwork. Doesn't make tackles in the backfield when he does beat someone. He looked like a developmental guy to me, because I don't see any pass rushing instincts. And now he's getting off to a slow start in what might be his last year in college? I haven't watched him this year - he's never really given me a reason to - but he looked pretty mediocre last year. I remember laughing at him when someone else on the Notre Dame defense would get a sack. Every time someone else got a sack Tuitt was still playing patty cake at the line of scrimmage. He was also nonexistent against Alabama - DJ Fluker looked really good against him. And he gets neutralized by running backs and tight ends. I think sticking him in the Top 10 is nothing more than profile scouting. His tape is going to turn people off unless he does a 180 down the stretch.

Sub in Eric Ebron @ 8 overall and I think you're talking much better value. I see the best TE prospect since Vernon Davis. He's such a fluid athlete and he looks great flexed out wide and as an in-line player, which I think is rare. It's usually one or the other. I think he's going to be in the Top 10 mix - I know, also rare, but I think he's that good. I like Ebron as much as any receiving threat in this upcoming draft.

You also said Kouandjio could be better than Warmack and Fluker. I don't think that's true. Unless you are putting greater importance on his position. His pass protection is a bigger area of concern than Fluker's was - Fluker did have slow feet, but he made up for it with his length and punch, which was exceptional. It allowed him to recover and he could be more imposing. Kouandjio is a little soft in pass protection, gives up inside moves too easily and his technique is inconsistent / poor. I don't know if he has short arms or if he just doesn't use his hands well, but he gets jacked up a lot. He's more of late first or early second rounder. But I don't doubt that Kouandjio gets pushed up because of his position. LTs don't grown on trees and he has a lot of potential.
Have you checked out Tuitt lately? He was playing with a painful injury the second half of last year (and against Alabama) that required offseason surgery, which also contributed to his slow start. With that said he has come on like gangbusters the past few weeks and was downright dominant against USC. I tend to agree that the Top 10 overall might be a little rich but I think he's the clear-cut second draft-eligible defensive end after Jadeveon Clowney and then there is another STEEP drop-off so he may get pushed up the board a bit.

It's going to be interesting to see how early Ebron comes off the board but I've heard he is probably going to come out and is the front-runner to be the first guy off the board at the position. I don't think the top half of round one is beyond the realm of possibility.

As for Kouandjio, I did indeed factor positional value into the equation with that statements and I think you almost have to. I don't know if he'll go earlier than Warmack and / or Fluker did because this is a much stronger draft at the top but I bet the Chargers would trade Fluker for Kouandjio and not think twice about it.

By the way, thanks for keeping my Reggie Bush quote alive! Now a multiple-time 1,000+ yard rusher who has been a key cog in some of the most explosive offenses in recent memory. :o)

Old 10-26-2013, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGfortheTD View Post
There seems to be a mistake with this mock Scott, I don't see the Chiefs anywhere in the top 5. lol

I am curious on why you slotted Mettenberger to the Chiefs. I'm not arguing that they could use an upgrade from Alex Smith at all, just interested on your thoughts on why he'd be the best choice for Andy Reid's offense.

Personally I think McCarron is the best fit.
I honestly didn't factor Mettenberger's scheme fit into the equation that heavily with the Chiefs pick. When I decided to give them a quarterback I went with Mettenberger over Carr, McCarron and Boyd because he has the most buzz and best chance to be chosen in Round 1 at this point.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:36 AM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Bears haven't picked a CB in the first round since 1996 (Walt Harris, yuck). 2 drafts = 2 first round picks spent on the lines. With the DL getting no pressure on the QB, Melton and Collins injured and not under contract for next year, and Peppers a likely cap casualty (Wootton is also a FA)....I'd imagine the Bears going DL early, maybe even twice.
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:35 AM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdawg View Post
The Bears haven't picked a CB in the first round since 1996 (Walt Harris, yuck). 2 drafts = 2 first round picks spent on the lines. With the DL getting no pressure on the QB, Melton and Collins injured and not under contract for next year, and Peppers a likely cap casualty (Wootton is also a FA)....I'd imagine the Bears going DL early, maybe even twice.
That is such an irrelevant piece of information
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:39 PM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
That is such an irrelevant piece of information
Yet the GM of the Bears is the same guy that was involved in most of the Bears' drafts since they last picked a 1st round CB.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yet the GM of the Bears is the same guy that was involved in most of the Bears' drafts since they last picked a 1st round CB.
No he wasn't. He was only with the Bears for 7 of those years, and he was only a scout. But that's not even the point.

Past draft history doesn't mean ****. Extreme example, but from 1999-2011 the Colts didn't pick a QB in the first round; that didn't stop them from picking Andrew Luck. Less extreme example: The Lions picked Luther Ellis in 1995 and then didn't take another DL for 15 years. Then they took a DL in 3 of the next 4 years.

There's no such thing as "my team doesn't draft that position in the first round".
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:15 PM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
No he wasn't. He was only with the Bears for 7 of those years, and he was only a scout. But that's not even the point.

Past draft history doesn't mean ****. Extreme example, but from 1999-2011 the Colts didn't pick a QB in the first round; that didn't stop them from picking Andrew Luck. Less extreme example: The Lions picked Luther Ellis in 1995 and then didn't take another DL for 15 years. Then they took a DL in 3 of the next 4 years.

There's no such thing as "my team doesn't draft that position in the first round".
7 of those years as a scout + last 2 years as GM = 9 drafts since 1996 or 9 of 17 = most.

But yeah, my point wasn't that "my team doesn't draft that position". I had an entire paragraph that you took 1 sentence from. Emery has done a good job identifying this team's biggest weaknesses and making them passable to good. First it was offensive weapons. He traded for Marshall and drafted Alshon Jeffery last offseason. Then it was the front 6 on offense. He signed 2 free agents OL, a TE, and drafted 2 more offensive linemen. The Bears front 4 has the fewest sacks in the NFL. I'm confident he will address that early in the draft, at least. If he was going to take a CB in the first round, Desmond Trufant was probably BPA when he drafted in April. I don't think any of the CBs likely to be around when the Bears pick are as good as Trufant. Though admittedly, the need will likely be bigger for a CB this year assuming they don't re-sign both Jennings and Tillman.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:29 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Quote:
So you're saying they are due... I could see defensive line as well but at some point in the near future the Bears need to bring in a top-level, starting-caliber young cornerback.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:37 PM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

Quote:
So you're saying they are due... I could see defensive line as well but at some point in the near future the Bears need to bring in a top-level, starting-caliber young cornerback.
They don't have to do that at 19 though. Is Epkre-Olomu really that much better than say...Kyle Fuller? Justin Gilbert? In the 2nd?

I personally don't believe in taking a 1st round CB unless he's an absolutely elite talent ala Patrick Peterson. There's not enough difference between the Dre Kirkpatrick like upsides and the Casey Hayward like solidness to justify missing out on a potentially elite player at a more impact position like DL.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:18 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They don't have to do that at 19 though. Is Epkre-Olomu really that much better than say...Kyle Fuller? Justin Gilbert? In the 2nd?

I personally don't believe in taking a 1st round CB unless he's an absolutely elite talent ala Patrick Peterson. There's not enough difference between the Dre Kirkpatrick like upsides and the Casey Hayward like solidness to justify missing out on a potentially elite player at a more impact position like DL.
Wait, so now CB isn't a valuable position? There has been a growing trend on this board that no one should ever draft any position in the first round except elite linemen and quarterbacks. What the hell is going on?

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is online now   Reply With Quote