Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:43 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion Thread

Thought it was time to make a new one. Discuss everything Steelers here.

Updated mock:

1) Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
-I believe he is one of three guys who are this pick. I don't think Gilbert or Evans fall to them and Watkins is a pipe dream. Dennard needs work in zone coverage, but I love his nasty playing demeanor and skill set. He won't be rushed into action right away but I firmly believe he'll be a nice number 1 or 2 CB in the league once fully developed.

2) Kelvin Benjamin WR Florida State
-A part of me feels as if this is wishful thinking. The other part believes it can be true. He didn't run a fast 40. His hands are streaky. Those could push him down the board and into our laps. I think he's a first round guy, but with a lot of fast guys right behind him, I can see teams moving them ahead. I can also see Pittsburgh trading up depending on where he falls at. In the mean time, I'll have him slotted here.

3) Daquan Jones DE Penn State
-Productive guy who could go a round higher, but I believe his stock is in the third round. We need DL depth in the worst way. He could come in and compete and provide depth along the interior and as a 5-tech in our system. I have a feeling Tuitt will be around at this area too due to injury and crappy play. If so, I wouldn't mind grabbing him up and having Mitchell coach him up and his nice skill set.

4a) Rashaad Reynolds CB Oregon State
-We are gonna double dip at the CB position. I LOVE this player. Good man corner and can play zone. Good special teams player. Good ball skills. Physical. Fast. Can jump. Strong. He's everything you'd want in a corner. He's just a little small and has trouble flipping his hips and running down field. He'd be a nice nickel corner in our defense. Everytime I watch him I came away liking him more.

4b) Devonta Freeman RB Florida State
-We need running backs. Freeman doesn't excel in one area, but he's good in all of them. Compact build. Decent speed. Can pass block. Nice receiving option. Runs hard and angrily. He'd be a nice back to have on our team.

5) Prince Shembo OLB Notre Dame
-Productive in college and I believe he'd be a solid pass rusher in the NFL. Will never be a starter, but a solid change of pace rusher and special teamer.

6) Jalen Saunders WR Oklahoma
-We double dip on WR for a second year in a row. Saunders is a tiny slot guy who can turn a 3 yard play into a 73 yard play. I don't want Brown returning punts much longer and Saunders is one of the best to do it in the draft.

7a) Howard Jones OLB Shepard
-A one trick pony, but he does it with such great explosion that I'm OK with it. He is very raw and needs work, but with the teaching of Porter and Butler, I would like to see where he ends up as. He needs room to grow and I believe he could be a deadly situational pass rusher in our system if given time and patience.

7b) Khyri Thornton DE/NT Southern Miss
-Just another DL project for depth purposes.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:27 AM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sweeet mock man!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:29 AM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And going back to the last thread, Benjamin is much sturdier from the waist down, Evans is more lanky, while Benjamin is more built. Id be happy with either!!!
Old 03-22-2014, 11:01 AM    (permalink
Cbrunn
Rookie

Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cbrunn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As much as I love Dennard, I just don't think they value the CB position enough to take Dennard ... but if somehow if Benjamin would fall to the 2nd, then this would be perfect, 2 of my favorite players

Here is mine

I'll also add a 3rd comp , Won't go passed the 5th because who knows what'll happen

1 - Kelvin Benjamin, WR , FSU
-Yes I understand he's a boom or bust prospect but I just cannot let that potential passed me, and at worst he'd end up going to Bmore, Cinci or Clev ... I don't really want to play this guy 2 times a year mixed with what they already got. YR 1 Benjamin would mainly be used in Redzone, Slants and Fades, Projection 5+ TDs in YR 1

2 - Kyle Van Noy, ILB/OLB, BYU
- this is I wanted last year in the 1st rd, He didn't have the same kind of year but this position versatility he brings... He could start Inside next too Timmons, and provide depth at OLB if Jarvis or Worilds gets injured - kind of a 2 birds with 1 stone kind of pick

3rd - EJ Gaines, CB, Mizzou
- Gaines is molded to be a Steeler, He plays good off coverage and is really strong in run support. Shut Mike Evans down in their battle.

4 - Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
- This guy is Ike Taylor 2.0 - Smaller School, all the athletic Tools - but Honestly I don't expect him to fall this far, but in Waltersmock he did, So that's what I'm going by - (Gaines and Gaines CB Duo would also be pretty cool)

5- DeAndre Coleman, DE , Cal
- Will bring some depth and added competition at the DE position with Arnfelt and Williams - I can see the starting Dline being, Heyward - Thomas - McClendon ... but we still need some depth
Cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:54 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A couple newsworthy things I've found:

Arthur moats is visiting today. He'd be a nice pick up for our defense by playing ILB and OLB.

Cam Thomas is playing primarily DE for us.

Tony Pauline said Eric Ebron isn't falling past 15 since the team loves him. Colbert will be at his Pro Day this week.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:23 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

dennard just isnt that good. i'd hate him with our first pick

other than that mock looks pretty sweet.

would you trade up for KB in the 2nd?

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

I think Dennard will be good in our system. He'll probably start out as a Keenan Lewis part, but once he learns zone, I believe he'll be good.

I would.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:10 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

agree to disagree then

colbert said he only expects to receive 2 comp picks for the upcoming draft.

gotta be a 3rd for wallace. only question is 4th or 5th for lewis

Old 03-24-2014, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

I want Gilbert more, but I can see why the team loves Dennard. He's a feisty ass corner and I love it.

We're always surprised with comp picks. Remember when we got one for Keyaron Fox? lol

By the way, we signed Arthur Moats according to Pro Football Talk. I like this move a lot.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:37 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
A couple newsworthy things I've found:

Arthur moats is visiting today. He'd be a nice pick up for our defense by playing ILB and OLB.

Cam Thomas is playing primarily DE for us.

Tony Pauline said Eric Ebron isn't falling past 15 since the team loves him. Colbert will be at his Pro Day this week.
Hmm, Thomas at DE could be interesting. We've usually had lighter guys there (Keisel, Smith, Heyward, Hood, all closer to 300), but hopefully it'll work.

I don't know what to think of Ebron. On the one hand, he did great in the combine. Not quite Jimmy Graham great, but pretty good. Closer to Gronk. But on the other hand, when I see him in games, he underwhelms me. Very few plays where I think he can be a game-changing TE. He sorta reminds me of Greg Olsen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
agree to disagree then

colbert said he only expects to receive 2 comp picks for the upcoming draft.

gotta be a 3rd for wallace. only question is 4th or 5th for lewis
3rd for Wallace for sure. As for the others, the guys we lost and the guys we signed:

Lost:
QB Charlie Batch
QB Byron Leftwich
RB Rashard Mendenhall
RB Isaac Redman
WR Mike Wallace
TE Leonard Pope
OT Max Starks
OL Doug Legursky
NT Casey Hampton
LB Brandon Johnson
CB Keenan Lewis
S Ryan Mundy
S Will Allen
P Jeremy Kapinos

Signed:
QB Bruce Gradkowski
RB LaRod Stephens-Howling
TE Matt Spaeth
TE Michael Palmer
OT Guy Whimper
CB William Gay
P Bryan Moorman

Matching them up:
QB Charlie Batch - Bruce Gradkowski
QB Byron Leftwich
RB Rashard Mendenhall - LSH
RB Isaac Redman
WR Mike Wallace
TE Leonard Pope - Matt Spaeth
OT Max Starks - Guy Whimper
OL Doug Legursky - CB William Gay
NT Casey Hampton - TE Michael Palmer
LB Brandon Johnson
CB Keenan Lewis
S Ryan Mundy
S Will Allen
P Jeremy Kapinos - Bryan Moorman

Eliminated Hampton due to the extra TE we signed, and Legursky for Gay, because I think they are comparable. Gay for Lewis doesn't work, due to deal size and playing time, but Legursky does. Same for Hampton and Palmer, IMO.

That leaves us with:

QB Byron Leftwich
RB Isaac Redman
WR Mike Wallace
LB Brandon Johnson
CB Keenan Lewis
S Ryan Mundy
S Will Allen

3rd for Wallace is safe to assume, Lewis is probably a fifth, though it might be a low 4th. I doubt we get anything for Leftwich, since he rarely played, but we might get something for Redman. Even though he played a lot last year, or at least more than Mendenhall, he didn't get a deal, so I put Mendenhall as eliminated due to LSH. If he does get us something, it's probably a 4th rounder.

Same for Mundy and Allen, both signed small deals but did play for us.

Brandon Johnson won't get us anything.

So best case scenario, we get a 3rd, 4th, and two sevenths. In all likelihood, we'll get a 3rd, 5th, and 7th.

Quote:
I want Gilbert more, but I can see why the team loves Dennard. He's a feisty ass corner and I love it.

We're always surprised with comp picks. Remember when we got one for Keyaron Fox? lol

By the way, we signed Arthur Moats according to Pro Football Talk. I like this move a lot.
Like the Moats signing too.

Props to clover_jeez!

Last edited by Mr. Goosemahn : 03-24-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:44 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

true, i guess its smarter to under evaluate your picks as opposed to doing the opposite.

and i like the moats pickup. #'s are like 750k. hes a solid player who should compete to play ilb i would think.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, Terrelle Pryor might be released soon. I'd sign him, he still interests me as maybe a TE project or something.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 03-24-2014, 06:10 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

We're getting a 3rd, 5th and 6th round pick for the losses of Wallace, Lewis and Mendenhall.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:52 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

pretty much what we expected

too bad the money was so much different b/c lewis easily outplayed ellerbe this year and the ravens got a 4th for him (i'm guessing)

Old 03-25-2014, 11:38 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

wait... baltimore got 2 4ths?!?!

for cary williams (3/17) and ellerbe?!?!

did our signing of gay really impact lewis's comp pick that much?

we got screwed.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:

we got screwed.
Ga y wouldn't have mattered because he was released. I don't know how Lewis didn't get a fourth and Williams got one. Lewis was better and had a bigger contract.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:11 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Ga y wouldn't have mattered because he was released. I don't know how Lewis didn't get a fourth and Williams got one. Lewis was better and had a bigger contract.
ah true gai didnt count against that

now i am really surprised...

Old 03-25-2014, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Quote:

we got screwed.
And Kruger and Ed Reed. Williams might be the fifth rounder, but I agree with you, Lewis should have been higher.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 03-25-2014, 05:13 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
And Kruger and Ed Reed. Williams might be the fifth rounder, but I agree with you, Lewis should have been higher.
bmore got a 3rd, 2 4ths and a later pick i believe for losing ellerbe, kruger, williams, and reed

reed is the later pick meaning williams netted them a 4th

obviously i dont get it.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Watching Jordan Matthews. I want him in the second. Badly.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:11 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
yeah i think he's way underrated... id love justin gilbert in the first and him in the 2nd

Old 03-26-2014, 08:29 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I like Jordan, even though his combine numbers are great, some reason I feel like he is going to have trouble getting pure separation. But from a technique stand point doing the little things right gets him open enough. Not a YAC guy, but more of a possession wr. His routes he runs are amazing.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:36 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat316 View Post
I like Jordan, even though his combine numbers are great, some reason I feel like he is going to have trouble getting pure separation. But from a technique stand point doing the little things right gets him open enough. Not a YAC guy, but more of a possession wr. His routes he runs are amazing.
well if he runs amazing routes he will get the separation he needs no problem

ala jerry rice

Old 03-26-2014, 12:57 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
well if he runs amazing routes he will get the separation he needs no problem

ala jerry rice
This is true. I wonder if he can beat the jam at the LOS in the nfl.

http://www.thesidelineview.com/scout...ordan-matthews
Old 03-26-2014, 01:42 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat316 View Post
This is true. I wonder if he can beat the jam at the LOS in the nfl.

http://www.thesidelineview.com/scout...ordan-matthews
I watched that whole video...he looks good out there.

Clowney is ridiculous btw, go into watching the opposite team WR and you still have to watch clowney