Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 04-23-2008, 05:08 PM    (permalink
RollingMoss
Rookie

RollingMoss hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.RollingMoss hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
It will be worth it, I'm feeling a 20+ sack season for Jared Allen.

Some might think I'm nuts but it really isn't that far fetched of a thought. He had 15.5 sacks on the Chiefs next to a much worse pair of DTs. On the Vikings he will be next to 2 pro bowl DTs and he will be seeing a fair amount of 1 on 1's with the OTs. The next thing that would point to 20+ sacks is the absurd amount of times the Vikings get passed on due to the run defense opposing offense averaged 40 att per game against the Vikings D(compared to 29 per game for the Chiefs D).

So obviously barring Injury to him or one of the Williams wrecking crew, and if the run defense remains as dominant as it has been in the past two years I could see Jared possibly getting 20+ Sacks

That's not a crazy thought. It's informed, thought-out, sensible, reasonable, and fact-based. Yeah, it's bat **** crazy to predict 20+ sacks for someone....but Christ, it makes sense in this case.

Hedge the bet, 18+.
RollingMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:43 PM    (permalink
crazyisme
Rookie

crazyisme hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Yeah, Im gonna say it, I dont care,

Its the Walker trade all over again.

crazyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Vikings4ever
Veteran

Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jared Allen is due an $8 million roster bonus in 2010 per the six-year, $72.36 million contract he signed with the Vikings.
The bonus is guaranteed for injury only. It protects Minnesota in case Allen gets in trouble with the law again. Allen's signing bonus is $15.5 million. His base salaries are: $750,000 (2008), $7.75 million (2009), $6.38 million (2010), $8,979,438 (2011), $11,619,850 (2012), and $14,280,612 (2013).

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFL&id=2837
Vikings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:10 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Had to stop buy to see what yall had to say about this trade. Allen is pretty darn good. If he gets 15 sacks, you have to be happy with that. No one you could draft would make that much of an impact.

Does put a damper on draft day, though...

I didnt even think about how funny my sig was going to look untill I sent this. Considering how the walker trade was brought up, it seems appropriate for his picture to grace this topic.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some revealing (and good for the Vikes) info:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...aps/index.html

Quote:
The obvious question mark in regards to Allen, 26, are his two DUI convictions while in Kansas City, the second of which resulted in a four-game league suspension in 2007, which was subsequently reduced to two games by commissioner Roger Goodell. Much of the debate regarding the wisdom of Minnesota paying so high a price for Allen is sure to center on the question of whether he's only one more mistake away from incurring a mandatory year-long league suspension under the terms of the league's substance abuse policy?

One league source told SI.com on Wednesday that Allen's two strikes in the program get wiped off the books if he stays incident free through September, at which time his most recent DUI will be two years old. He would then be out from under the threat of a year-long league suspension if he incurred another DUI after September, the source said. But that scenario could not be confirmed by an NFL spokesman Wednesday, leaving it uncertain whether Allen is a high risk for a career-interrupting suspension.

Perhaps it will turn out that the Vikings are not taking quite the gamble on Allen that some might assume. Minnesota is said to be convinced the signs of maturity that Allen started showing in Kansas City in the past year-plus have taken root and he has become someone worth betting on. To that end, Minnesota did nothing out of the ordinary to protect itself in his new precedent-setting contract. There are only the standard clauses within the deal that would allow the team to recoup some of the money if Allen incurs a significant suspension or violates his contract in some way, but no extraordinary steps were taken to safeguard the organization.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:39 PM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

just had to say good job getting Allen. I'm sure JaMarcus and Jay are thanking you guys right now.

you guys gave up a lot for him, but, ultimately, its worth it. you filled one if not you biggest needs. and with him paired up next the Williams and Williams, he'll be just as if not better.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:32 PM    (permalink
joercky
Rookie

joercky needs more cowbell.

Vikings fans I am not hating but just drawing parallels with recent history. Last year the 49ers went out and spent big money on free agents aka Micheal Lewis, Aubrayo Franklin, Nate Clements, Tully Banti-Cain. Like the Vikings they had reason for hope as they had a huge rusher in Frank Gore and had signed the afore mentioned free agents. BUT they had an unproven QB in Alex Smith and lacked a premier reciever, and had a ****** o-line. They went out gave up a 4th round pick for Darrell Jackson and traded a 2nd rounder for Joe Staley. They finished 4 and 12 and Jackson was released a year later. The Vikings paid premium money to a guy in Berrian who has never had a thousand yard recieving season not to mention it takes up a while to pick up the intricacies of a west coast offense, signed Madiu Williams, and most recently traded for Jared Allan. They need some more corners as there is little depth beyond starters Cedric Griffin and Antoine Winfield. Although they spent a 3rd rounder last year on Marcus McCauley he didn't have a single interception. At O-line they have no decent right tackle and Bryant McKinnie could be heading to prison. The Vikings also need a tight end sing Shiancoe can't seem to hold on to the football. Best bet: Draft Sam Baker 2nd round and pick up Terrell Thomas in the 4th.

Bluto I'm a zit get it. http://youtube.com/watch?v=qft0bdhl17c

Cartman- Kyle get that sand out of your vagina.
joercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:52 PM    (permalink
BPhilb
Veteran

BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.

Hey all, I'm a lifelong Chiefs fan and I'm here to tell you that this is a deal that will benefit both teams. You guys are going to love JA as he never stops going and really is a great all around DE. Your DLine will be awesome and your tackles will really bring out the best in the guy (or vica versa). We are rebuilding now which is actually an exciting time for us and I hate to see us give up a great player, but anyone telling you guys you gave up too much for the guy hasn't watched him play. Best of luck.
BPhilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:02 PM    (permalink
msealy2
Rookie

msealy2 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joercky View Post
Vikings fans I am not hating but just drawing parallels with recent history. Last year the 49ers went out and spent big money on free agents aka Micheal Lewis, Aubrayo Franklin, Nate Clements, Tully Banti-Cain. Like the Vikings they had reason for hope as they had a huge rusher in Frank Gore and had signed the afore mentioned free agents. BUT they had an unproven QB in Alex Smith and lacked a premier reciever, and had a ****** o-line. They went out gave up a 4th round pick for Darrell Jackson and traded a 2nd rounder for Joe Staley. They finished 4 and 12 and Jackson was released a year later. The Vikings paid premium money to a guy in Berrian who has never had a thousand yard recieving season not to mention it takes up a while to pick up the intricacies of a west coast offense, signed Madiu Williams, and most recently traded for Jared Allan. They need some more corners as there is little depth beyond starters Cedric Griffin and Antoine Winfield. Although they spent a 3rd rounder last year on Marcus McCauley he didn't have a single interception. At O-line they have no decent right tackle and Bryant McKinnie could be heading to prison. The Vikings also need a tight end sing Shiancoe can't seem to hold on to the football. Best bet: Draft Sam Baker 2nd round and pick up Terrell Thomas in the 4th.
First, I wouldn't exactly call Frank Gore a premier rusher. Next, McKinnie won't be heading to jail, he'll likely get a suspension from the league but he won't go to jail. And as far as McCauley goes, he most definetly did not have the best rookie season however it wasn't defined as such because of a lack of interceptions. I'm just saying that maybe the premise behind your arguement is valid, maybe its not, you just have some holes in it.