Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

View Poll Results:
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2008, 06:23 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is how I think the front office ranks the different (realistic) possibilities.

1. Trade up for Glenn Dorsey
2. Trade up for Sedrick Ellis
3. Get Leodis McKelvin at #10
4. Get Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie at #10
5. Get Keith Rivers at #10.

After that, who knows...

What do you guys think? Am I on to something? ;)

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:29 PM    (permalink
SaintsFanForLife
Pro Bowler

SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Just read this on PFT.

SHOCKEY TO SAINTS ALREADY IN PLACE?
Posted by Mike Florio on April 25, 2008, 6:06 p.m.
There’s a kinda-sorta report from PFW that the Giants and the Saints might have already worked out a deal that would send tight end Jeremy Shockey to New Orleans.

The Giants would receive the Saints’ second-round pick (No. 40 overall) and other draft picks.

So why would the move be kept under wraps? Because the Giants don’t want to stand in the shoes of the Saints at No. 40 until the Saints are on the clock. If the deal would be done now, then the teams at No. 41 and beyond would be able to consider their options for trading up, in order to get in front of the Giants and pluck a guy whom the Giants might be targeting.

Generally speaking, the best approach to draft-pick trades is to do the deal when one of the teams is on the clock. Indeed, it would have been ideal for the Vikings and the Chiefs to finalize the Jared Allen trade while the Vikings were on the clock with the No. 17 selection in round one.

Unfortunately for the Chiefs, however, there’s too much that needs to happen when a franchise player is traded to a new team. The player needs to sign his tender, then he gets traded and signs a long-term contract (or vice-versa). It’s simply too hard to make all that happen in ten minutes.

In all other cases, however, it’s far wiser to do the deal so that the team acquiring a pick from another team gets that pick at a time when that pick is the next pick to be, um, picked.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT
SaintsFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:31 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, we can only get either Shockey or Lito Sheppard for that 2nd round pick. Wonder what it will be...

Signature made by me

Old 04-25-2008, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintsFanForLife View Post
Just read this on PFT.

SHOCKEY TO SAINTS ALREADY IN PLACE?
Posted by Mike Florio on April 25, 2008, 6:06 p.m.
There’s a kinda-sorta report from PFW that the Giants and the Saints might have already worked out a deal that would send tight end Jeremy Shockey to New Orleans.

The Giants would receive the Saints’ second-round pick (No. 40 overall) and other draft picks.

So why would the move be kept under wraps? Because the Giants don’t want to stand in the shoes of the Saints at No. 40 until the Saints are on the clock. If the deal would be done now, then the teams at No. 41 and beyond would be able to consider their options for trading up, in order to get in front of the Giants and pluck a guy whom the Giants might be targeting.

Generally speaking, the best approach to draft-pick trades is to do the deal when one of the teams is on the clock. Indeed, it would have been ideal for the Vikings and the Chiefs to finalize the Jared Allen trade while the Vikings were on the clock with the No. 17 selection in round one.

Unfortunately for the Chiefs, however, there’s too much that needs to happen when a franchise player is traded to a new team. The player needs to sign his tender, then he gets traded and signs a long-term contract (or vice-versa). It’s simply too hard to make all that happen in ten minutes.

In all other cases, however, it’s far wiser to do the deal so that the team acquiring a pick from another team gets that pick at a time when that pick is the next pick to be, um, picked.
If it's a 2nd & 5th, that's fine with me.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:33 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sveen View Post
Well, we can only get either Shockey or Lito Sheppard for that 2nd round pick. Wonder what it will be...
Not so fast my friend.

Shockey for a 2nd and say a fifth.

Trade first rounders with the Eagles... they jump up to 10 to get one of the OL they covet and we trade down to select... BPA.

That would be dope.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Old 04-25-2008, 06:35 PM    (permalink
SaintsFanForLife
Pro Bowler

SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Well Shockey or Lito seems we will not be picking at number 40. IMO I would be happy with either. More for Lito I think the need is bigger. Im just ready for the Draft people.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT
SaintsFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:39 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Not so fast my friend.

Shockey for a 2nd and say a fifth.

Trade first rounders with the Eagles... they jump up to 10 to get one of the OL they covet and we trade down to select... BPA.

That would be dope.
You are a clever guy. The 40th pick is worth 500 points and the difference between the 10th and the 19th pick is worth 425 points. Tampa Bay's 2nd rounder is worth only 380 points, so we would still have the best offer on the table.

Signature made by me

Old 04-25-2008, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Getting Lito Sheppard would be awesome for the Saints. I wouldn't be crazy about tradng the 2nd round pick for Shockey, but I wouldn't call it a bad move as Shockey is a top-notch tight end who would be a great offensive weapon for Brees.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

If we do trade down to #19. Who do you think we will target of the players likely to be available? Of the top of my head I could picture us taking Keith Rivers (if we are lucky), Kentwan Balmer, Kenny Phillips, maybe one of the top wideouts, Stewart/Mendenhall and probably a lot of other guys I didn't think of right now.

Get Lite Sheppard and Jeremy Shockey via trade
#19 Kenny Phillips
#78 Best available DT

Wouldn't be a bad start of the Draft, even though I don't think we should trade for Shockey.

Signature made by me

Last edited by Sveen : 04-25-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:48 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintsFanForLife View Post
Well Shockey or Lito seems we will not be picking at number 40. IMO I would be happy with either. More for Lito I think the need is bigger. Im just ready for the Draft people.
I don't like Lito being so injury prone.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:50 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Getting Lito Sheppard would be awesome for the Saints. I wouldn't be crazy about tradng the 2nd round pick for Shockey, but I wouldn't call it a bad move as Shockey is a top-notch tight end who would be a great offensive weapon for Brees.
And, having the 19th to add a BPA. That would be a great draft for us, imo.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:55 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As per ESPN, Todd McShay of Scouts.com says the possible trade with the New York Giants would "deplete their ammunition" and that if they give up their second round pick if they want to move up in the Draft.

Mel Kiper said New Orleans could be in that the last picks of the first round (around 28, I think he said) if they get Shockey because the tight end would give them another solid weapon for their offense.

Kiper and McShay had their final mock drafts posted on Sportscenter a few minutes ago, with McShay having the Saints taking Mike Jenkins and Kiper having the Black and Gold taking Leodis McKelvin.

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:16 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you guys cost us getting Ellis I will forever despise the Saints.

Actually, I can relate to the whole having a DT that blows thing so I can appreciate if you guys make the move up. It sure will make my draft day suck though.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:05 AM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

haha, Saints are my fav NFC team...so you guys better not steal Ellis from us! I will have to start cheering for Bucs, Falcons, or Panthers in NFC games!
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:25 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am I the only one of Saints fans here that would be a *little* concerned with Jeremy Shockey joining the Black and Gold?

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:25 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Saints' 2008 Draft

The 2008 Draft is finally here!

It's Draft weekend, and best of luck to the New Orleans Saints in finding good players to help the team for the future.

Discuss the event here.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:29 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Good idea to have a Draft Day thread. I'll kick it all off by wishing everybody a good Draft Day, and by hoping the Saints will make good decision both today and tomorrow :)

Signature made by me

Old 04-26-2008, 09:31 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Default The latest on Jeremy Shockey

Quote:
The New Orleans Saints are trying to land TE Jeremy Shockey and have offered what could be enough to get the deal done.

FOXSports.com has learned that New Orleans early this week offered the Giants a second-round pick in today's draft as well as either a sixth-rounder this year or a fifth in 2009 to get the deal sealed. Despite reports to the contrary, the deal has been on the table for quite some time and remains available today.
Source: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8...40813162&ATT=5

Signature made by me

Old 04-26-2008, 11:14 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Sounds good to me for Shockey.

HAPPY DRAFT DAY ALL.

Let's hope for Sedrick Ellis for the win!

Old 04-26-2008, 11:18 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

It looks like Dorsey might get past both St. Louis and Atlanta amazingly ... Saints might have to hold off on the Shockey trade, or would be wise to do so, if they need that 2nd round pick as ammunition to trade up perhaps.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:21 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
It looks like Dorsey might get past both St. Louis and Atlanta amazingly ... Saints might have to hold off on the Shockey trade, or would be wise to do so, if they need that 2nd round pick as ammunition to trade up perhaps.
If he falls to Atlanta, I don't see them passing on him for Ryan.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Never underestimate the meddlesome cancer that is Arthur Blank imo.

There's been talk from Schefter yesterday that the Falcons have so gotten used to the scenario that Dorsey is off the board, they've actually talked themselves into ranking Ryan ahead of him now.

And Oakland needs picks desperately, plus the paid Tommy Kelly big money. Who knows.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Dude, the time to push the draft to 3 PM EST sucks every penii in the world.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:09 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

The are reports out there that has Chris Long going to the Rams and Matt Ryan going to Atlanta. If Oakland takes McFadden or Gholston that would leave Glenn Dorsey still on the board at #5. Do we then do what it takes to move up? Maybe that's why the Shockey trade hasn't happened yet. Maybe we are saving that 2nd rounder to see if we should use it to trade up?

Signature made by me

Old 04-26-2008, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
FOXSports.com has also learned the New Orleans Saints have been in talks with the Raiders and Chiefs among others to trade up in an effort to land Dorsey. They are not offering a player, only draft picks to make the move.

The Jets, who had Chris Long as their top-rated player, now have their sights on Darren McFadden, if he's still on the board at No. 6. And the Chiefs, who also had Chris Long as their selection, are now looking to move out of the No. 5 spot.
I'm so nervous. Someone hold me!