Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:30 PM    (permalink

Let me assure you guys that the Colts run-d did not really shut down L.J. last week because they only ran him 13 times. If they gave him 20+ carries he would have toped 100 yards and probably had a couple TDs.
The Ravens will run the ball against them and wear down the front seven and Jamal should have a great game. Also the Colts CB's aren't that good and M.C should burn them for a couple 30+ catches.

Ravens win it 16-7 :twisted:
Old 01-10-2007, 08:10 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

WOW 53/70 that crazy

its will come down to the same thing as last week can the colts stop the run they did last week can they do it again
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:12 PM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

honestly i'm a bit sick of hearing how great the colts defense was.

the chiefs came out with a horrendously bad offensive gameplan, which consisted of this:

1st and 10: LJ run up the middle, 2 yards.
2nd and 8: LJ run up the middle 2 yards.
3rd and 6: throw a 3 yard crossing pattern.
4th and 3: punt

it wasn't too hard to figure out. and they didn't make any adjustments at all throughout the game.

the colts would come out on 1st down, put 8 in the box, stop LJ. come out on 2nd down, 8 in the box, stop LJ again. come out on 3rd and 6 in a nickel or dime, and stop the obvious pass.

combine the bad gameplan by KC with a bad performance by the oline, receivers who can't get open, and a QB that looked like he was about 57 years old, and it will make any defense look amazing.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:21 PM    (permalink
Bohleive
Veteran

Bohleive hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Interesting Stat: The Ravens avg. about 18 QB hits per game. I can't wait to see Manning face that kind of punishment.

Link: http://ravens24x7.com/column_view.ph...9&view=archive
Bohleive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:32 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

i also find it odd that people think manning hasn't ever faced a defense with a good pass rush. i'm sure you could dig up stats to see how he's done against those teams in the past.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Bohleive
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
i also find it odd that people think manning hasn't ever faced a defense with a good pass rush. i'm sure you could dig up stats to see how he's done against those teams in the past.
Where did I say that? I'm merely posting stats for speculation. Clearly defenses that hit Manning do the best against him, and I thought 18/game was a pretty impressive number. On the flip side you can bet the colts won't allow the avg.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohleive
Interesting Stat: The Ravens avg. about 18 QB hits per game. I can't wait to see Manning face that kind of punishment.

Interesting Stat: Peyton Manning is touched on 12% of his dropbacks, the lowest percentage of any starting QB in the NFL.

Source: Last week's Wild Card Playoff telecast

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Where did I say that?
probably the same place i said i was talking only to you in spite of the fact that at least a dozen people have said the same thing.

Quote:
I'm merely posting stats for speculation. Clearly defenses that hit Manning do the best against him, and I thought 18/game was a pretty impressive number. On the flip side you can bet the colts won't allow the avg.
sure, it's definitely an interesting number, but a lot of the other posts suggesting that manning will be sacked all game fail to realize that it wouldn't be the first time he's faced that kind of defense. i think it's a mistake to simply look at some numbers and say "manning will get killed all day because the ravens are soo good at defense and the ravens will win by seventy lolz". now, clearly you weren't saying that, however some other posters were suggesting it.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Bohleive
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610
Quote:

Interesting Stat: Peyton Manning is touched on 12% of his dropbacks, the lowest percentage of any starting QB in the NFL.

Source: Last week's Wild Card Playoff telecast
Obviously one side is going to give. Likely this will be, in large part, what wins or loses the game for either team. Manning's pass pro. vs. Ravens passrush.
That and the Ravens ability, or lack tereof, to pass succesfully on early downs and with play action.

Quote:
probably the same place i said i was talking only to you in spite of the fact that at least a dozen people have said the same thing.
Just seemed directed at me is all.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:28 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Im picking the Ravens, but I think what it will come down to is if Baltimore can get their offense going early.

The whole deal with Indy is that they are very hard to beat once they jump out to a lead. If their D starts out strong and gives Peyton a chance to build up a lead, they will just play ball control the rest of the game and send their pass rushers at their opponents the rest of the game. thats how they win. I dont think Indy can hang with Baltimore for 60 minutes if they dont get to play with the lead.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:37 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

everyone who says the Ravens will easily win this game are forgetting that Peyton has had a history of carving that acclaimed Ravens defense up.

Of course, the playoffs are a different story. But don't give the Colts no chance. Peyton knows how to take on this defense, he's done it before with alot of success.

And Dwight Freeney owns Ogden on passing downs.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
everyone who says the Ravens will easily win this game are forgetting that Peyton has had a history of carving that acclaimed Ravens defense up.

Of course, the playoffs are a different story. But don't give the Colts no chance. Peyton knows how to take on this defense, he's done it before with alot of success.
Manning has only played against Rex Ryan's defense once, the first game of the season in 2005. In that game Peyton was shut down the first half before having a good second half. This Ravens defense is alot better, especially considering that was the first game with Ryan as DC and the first game using his system. And most importantly, that wasn't a playoff game.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:49 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basileus777
Quote:

Manning has only played against Rex Ryan's defense once, the first game of the season in 2005. In that game Peyton was shut down the first half before having a good second half. This Ravens defense is alot better, especially considering that was the first game with Ryan as DC and the first game using his system. And most importantly, that wasn't a playoff game.
Youre forgetting why he had a bad first half. Its the same reason why he had a bad first half against Nolan's Raven's defense the year before.

The Ravens would constantly shift around so Peyton couldn't get a read on the defense, then just before he hiked the ball, theyd line up in their formation. This worked lovely for the first half of both games they did this.

The problem....it tired the living hell out of the players. So in the 2nd half, they stopped doing it. And in both games, when Peyton was able to see them set up, he picked them apart.

I expect Rex to throw the 3-4 at Peyton, because Peyton will carve up that 46 scheme alive.

Im not saying the Ravens can't take him on, Im just saying that its not a guarantee.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:15 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah i agree that the ravens wont just blow out the colts or the opposite of that.

this should be a really good game and i cant fully use manning past success as a pefect gauge to view this game, simply because these are very different teams then they were in the past.

i cant speak for the colts because i frankly dont know about them enough, but for the ravens they are a very different team starting at the quarterback.
in the last matchup kyle boller was the starter. McNair is a much more stable qb for this team and the ability for this offence to sustain drives and to be able to put up points is a large upgrade compaired to the old team.

also in the game last year kyle boller got injured during the game forcing anthony wright to come in. wright had 3 turnover( 2 INTs and one Fumble lost). this was a further drop off for a struggling offence.

stover also played really bad going 0 for 3, leaving 9 points on the field.

the Wr.s are also better in my opinion. Mark clayton is a better player now and Demetrious(sp?) Williams gives a solid 3rd option.

on defense they really werent as strong as they now are. they werent as commfortable in their defence and i think the players on the team now are upgrades at cerain positions. i.e. Ngata, Pryce, Landry( i think so), Cmac( playing better) Thomas and Scott really playing well.

i think that the ravens team is much better but the colts team is still a great team. should be real fun to watch.

also Ogden does get owned be Freeney :(
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:20 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:

In the first game of the season the TOP of about 50 minutes to the Colts compared to 10 minutes for the Ravens, in that game our o-line couldnt pass block, now our pass blocking is a lot better then that time and our defense is better then that time also.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:26 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsalltheway
Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89
well another thing to factor in is that the colt seem to have had trouble with 3-4 defences in the past.
How much do you guys run that? 50/50 or are there a majority of plays in the favor of one?

The past couple of games it has been more of 70-75/30-25 ish.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:56 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991
Quote:
Quote:

In the first game of the season the TOP of about 50 minutes to the Colts compared to 10 minutes for the Ravens, in that game our o-line couldnt pass block, now our pass blocking is a lot better then that time and our defense is better then that time also.
Worst. Guess. Ever. Next time, you might want to try to be at least in the general vicinity of being correct instead of overblowing your exaggeration to the point of ridiculousness. The Ravens had the ball for nearly 33 minutes in that game, which is a FAR CRY from the 10 you're claiming.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:03 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Worst. Guess. Ever. Next time, you might want to try to be at least in the general vicinity of being correct instead of overblowing your exaggeration to the point of ridiculousness. The Ravens had the ball for nearly 33 minutes in that game, which is a FAR CRY from the 10 you're claiming.
U wanna avatar bet ?
Old 01-11-2007, 07:32 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89
yeah i agree that the ravens wont just blow out the colts or the opposite of that.

this should be a really good game and i cant fully use manning past success as a pefect gauge to view this game, simply because these are very different teams then they were in the past.

i cant speak for the colts because i frankly dont know about them enough, but for the ravens they are a very different team starting at the quarterback.
in the last matchup kyle boller was the starter. McNair is a much more stable qb for this team and the ability for this offence to sustain drives and to be able to put up points is a large upgrade compaired to the old team.

also in the game last year kyle boller got injured during the game forcing anthony wright to come in. wright had 3 turnover( 2 INTs and one Fumble lost). this was a further drop off for a struggling offence.

stover also played really bad going 0 for 3, leaving 9 points on the field.

the Wr.s are also better in my opinion. Mark clayton is a better player now and Demetrious(sp?) Williams gives a solid 3rd option.

on defense they really werent as strong as they now are. they werent as commfortable in their defence and i think the players on the team now are upgrades at cerain positions. i.e. Ngata, Pryce, Landry( i think so), Cmac( playing better) Thomas and Scott really playing well.

i think that the ravens team is much better but the colts team is still a great team. should be real fun to watch.

also Ogden does get owned be Freeney :(
yeah, this is important. the Ravens couldnt get that O going b/c of QB injury, Turnovers, missed FG, etc. then the colts jump out to a nice lead, then it game over, thats what games v Indy are all about. Not as likely to happen w/ McNair.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:43 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenPlayer52
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

U wanna avatar bet ?
nah, hes right. 33-27 was the TOP, the Ravens had more.

If i remember right, the Ravens kept making drives and then blowing it in the red zone or stalling at the 50, missed FGs played a big role. These are things you absolutely cant do against the Colts.

on a side note, the Colts controlled the ball for 40 minutes against the Chiefs, a big reason why the Chiefs D fell apart in the 2nd half and why the lost. that Chief O was sad.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:14 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenPlayer52
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

U wanna avatar bet ?
nah, hes right. 33-27 was the TOP, the Ravens had more.

If i remember right, the Ravens kept making drives and then blowing it in the red zone or stalling at the 50, missed FGs played a big role. These are things you absolutely cant do against the Colts.

on a side note, the Colts controlled the ball for 40 minutes against the Chiefs, a big reason why the Chiefs D fell apart in the 2nd half and why the lost. that Chief O was sad.
damn boller
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:02 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

ok I made a mistake woops daisy but still our offense is better then it was when we had the game against the colts last time we played them, our stadium is also going to be pumped up because it is a team that most older fans hate, I cant wait til saturday it will be a good game
Old 01-11-2007, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Star Wideout
Veteran

Star Wideout hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Wow this is a tough one to call, it's going to be a very close game in my opinion. I see the Colts winning in the end though on a Vinatieri 50 yard FG.
Star Wideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Bohleive
Veteran

Quote:

And Dwight Freeney owns Ogden on passing downs.
Oh really? Peyton has never really carved up our D. in '04 Boller cost us, in their dome, in '05 we were a different team: no Pryce, no Ngata, no Landry, 1st game in Rex's crazy ass system, 6-10 vs. 13-3 says it all.

As for Freeny and Ogden; Ogden got beat bad in the dome in '04 on a bum knee. Against Indy in '05 he gave up a whopping 0 sacks. Owns, I think not.
Freeny is built for the dome, they pump in that extra noise over the speakers so the tackles can't hear and the turf aids his speed. It's a different story in Baltimore, and i garuntee you Ogden will do worse things than 'owning' to Freeny on run plays Saturday.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:13 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

this is the number 1 game im anticipating for this weekend, I cant wait to watch it. I have a strong feeling the Ravens will go all the way this year.