Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 04-26-2008, 09:31 PM    (permalink
simmy1989
Rookie

simmy1989 is a cocksman.simmy1989 is a cocksman.simmy1989 is a cocksman.simmy1989 is a cocksman.
Default Panthers Day 2 Mock Draft

3 (67)-Pat Sims, DT, Auburn
3 (74)-DaJuan Morgan, S, NC State
5 (141)-Martin Rucker, TE, Missouri
6 (181)-Kirk Barton, OT, Ohio State
7 (221)-J Leman, ILB, Illinois
7 (241)-Dennis Dixon, QB/ATH, Oregon
7 (250)-Dwight Lowery, CB, San Jose State

What do you guys think???
simmy1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:12 PM    (permalink
iworshipbender
Pro Bowler

iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Dixon falls past round 5, but I'd love to see him and Snoop back on the same team. I do feel it will either be Carolina or San Fransiso who takes him. Hopefully it's Carolina because I'd become a fan.

I SUPPORT A GREENER OREGON
iworshipbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:21 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

just trade for demetrius williams and we'd have oregon's entire skill position offense from 2 years ago...

I like the positions you went after though, and do like most of the names. I think we need another DE though
Old 04-27-2008, 01:11 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rather:
3a Reggie Smith S
3b Pat Sims DT
5 Brian Johnston DE
6 Rucker TE

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:35 AM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a little wary on Reggie Smith. Tweeners are always a red flag to begin with (CB/S not as much as others...but still) but he also comes off an Oklahoma team that is not well known for its players translating into the NFL. Now, that hasn't stopped me from having a ton of manlove for Curtis Lofton this year but Smith...I don't see it. I mean, in the 3rd it's hard to go wrong when he may have had 1st round value had his offseason not been a mess but I just wont be super excited should we pick him up
Old 04-27-2008, 09:41 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not all that happy about Connor. Why are we picking him when we already have Diggs, Johnson, Anderson and Seward all there?

We don't have the same depth at Defensive Tackle or Safety.

I'm not all that impressed by our draft so far.

EDIT

Didn't see that we picked Godfrey. He has loads of potential to play safety, will we play him there? We have been wanting an "athletic" roaming in the back, or at least I have felt we really needed that.

I think that is where his potential is best served on this team.

Last edited by ShutDwn : 04-27-2008 at 09:56 AM.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:54 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I wonder if there are some player-for-player trades in the works? I could see Gamble headed elsewhere after the Godfrey pick, maybe for a safety. I could see some of our additional linebackers headed elsewhere for help on the defensive line.

Either that or we'll introduce a 2-4-5 defense next season:

Kemoeatu / Peppers

Beason / Connor / Davis / Johnson

Gamble / Godfrey / Harris / Lucas / Marshall

I like the picks in term of value. Two of the best players available at the start of the third-round are now Carolina Panthers. A defense that started to see the years catch up to it has gotten alot younger and faster in the past two years.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:58 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
Didn't see that we picked Godfrey. He has loads of potential to play safety, will we play him there? We have been wanting an "athletic" roaming in the back, or at least I have felt we really needed that.

I think that is where his potential is best served on this team.
I see you caught yourself before I had the chance to tell you about the Godfrey pick. ESPN really stressed his versatility in the secondary and Kiper said, while it may take a year or two, he has the ability to play safety in the NFL.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:05 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

I wish ESPN would hop off of the "Carolina needs a quarterback" bandwagon. I just heard Mortenson mention it as a reason why the team hasn't had a successful draft and Keyshawn had to run his mouth about it when the team traded up to #19 yesterday. Anyone that would be available at our next pick wouldn't be any better than either Basanez or Moore. Moore, in particular, has shown that he can play in the NFL.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:19 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
I wish ESPN would hop off of the "Carolina needs a quarterback" bandwagon. I just heard Mortenson mention it as a reason why the team hasn't had a successful draft and Keyshawn had to run his mouth about it when the team traded up to #19 yesterday. Anyone that would be available at our next pick wouldn't be any better than either Basanez or Moore. Moore, in particular, has shown that he can play in the NFL.
Notice Jaws hasn't said it much, because he liked Moore a LOT last year. Moore has shown he has everything the other guys have against NFL competition. The team responded to him and never quit on him (Dallas) whereas the team folded with Carr almost instantly. Moore is a smart guy, and he is the definite heir to the thrown. Moore already has Smith's approval and many other players I am sure.

I really like the Godfrey pick, all his strengths seem to be great ones for a free safety, and all his weaknesses seem to be ones that can be minimized by him playing safety.
Quote:
Analysis

Positives: Has decent muscle definition for a cornerback, but can also add at least another 10 pounds of bulk without the added weight affecting his foot speed for a possible move to safety...Very physical hitter who likes to provide run support...Has good arm length and elevation, along with the timing to compete for jump balls and knows how to reach around the receiver to disrupt and break up the pass at its high point...Hard worker in the weight room who takes well to hard coaching...Has good eyes for recognizing pocket movement, but still needs to do a better job of making plays with his back to the ball...Hard wrap-up tackler who keeps his pad level down, but must reduce the times he takes a side rather than driving through with his hits (likes to arm tackle)...Has a better feel playing in the zone than in deep man coverage, as his timed speed lets him get to plays in front of him with good timing and burst...Likes to bang heads when coming up to fill rush lanes, avoiding blocks to close with good urgency...Has developed better hand-eye coordination and will extend and pluck the ball outside his frame (would trap the ball before, leading to more deflections than interceptions)...Takes good angles to impact the outside rushing attack and push those plays back inside...Has the ability to drive through ballcarriers, as he consistently attacks the outside leg to impede forward progress (does this well in closed quarters, but for some reason, in the open, he prefers to grab and drag down)...Has the eyes to read and jump routes, but needs to stay in control and not try to punish the receiver when doing this (likes to shove and push)...Strong enough in the press to take the receiver out of his game...His poor hip snap will see him lose some position when turning, but in plays in front of him, he has the burst to close...Not as reckless jumping routes playing the zone as he does in man coverage...Has the body control to adjust to the thrown ball and while his timed speed says he can carry receivers down field, he needs to improve his plant-and-drive skills, along with his turning motion to be more effective there...Explosive leaper who likes to combat for jump balls...Has the strength and physicality in his play to turn runs back inside and while he can avoid blocks in traffic, he also has the hand jolt to stop blockers in their tracks.

Negatives: Needs to play with better control, as he gets too reckless, resulting in a high amount of costly interference penalties...Has very good timed speed, but shows sloppy footwork in transition and might be best bulking up and shifting to safety, as he plays downhill better than he does when having to shadow and trail receivers into the deep secondary...Still learning proper hand placement technique, often flagged for jabbing and grabbing with his hands throughout the route's progression (must do a better job of mirroring without hand contact)...Must refine his backpedal technique, as he doesn't get good knee bend and will take false steps out of his breaks...Does not always play up to his timed speed, as he fails to open his hips and turn fluidly...Showed better reaction skills as a senior, but might have deep vision problems, as he will look very surprised as the ball comes right into his view late...Decent wrap-up tackler, but needs to stay lower in his pads and drive harder with his legs when asked to step up and impact the running game (will sometimes take a side or try to arm tackle)...Despite his timed speed, a lack of fluid hip snap and change-of-direction skills makes him late coming out of his turns and he fails to show the recovery burst to get back into the play when a receiver gets behind him.

Compares To: TANARD JACKSON-Tampa Bay...Like Jackson and Alabama's Simeon Castille, Godfrey might be a better fit as a free safety than at cornerback. He made great strides in his coverage skills as a senior, but just seems more comfortable in run support and playing the ball than covering a receiver one-on-one. He is too aggressive at the corner position and the result has been a high amount of interference calls. He has excellent timed speed, but with stiff hips and a marginal backpedal, it is negated by the false steps and poor turning agility he shows in transition. Move him inside, where he can play downhill, and you get better value.
Seems to be a great compliment to Harris. This is looking like my favorite pick so far.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:29 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

When I heard we drafted Godfrey I immediately thought of Tanard Jackson. The question is if the team is smart enough to actually move him back to FS.

I agree on Connor. I'd compare it to my dislike of Reggie Smith. Good value? Sure, but I've never been enthralled with him to begin with and where the hell are we going to play him?

If we move Beason back to OLB Fox should be fired on the spot

I've come around to our draft after hating it during the first round but boy does it ever lack foresight. I guess this year will be interesting, at least. If nothing else, this draft made it evident that Hurfox are out if we don't win this year and they're going to pull out all the stops.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:52 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would be interested to see how he goes at the SLB position and move Thomas Davis to the weakside where he can scream around free from blockers to make plays.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:08 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

That's my ideal scenario but Fox will never do it with all the crap he took for putting Davis strongside to begin with
Old 04-27-2008, 08:33 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I really wish we had picked any type of defensive lineman over Connor. I don't care if he is the BPA, he isn't the BNA (Biggest NEED available). Pat Sims was available, William Hayes would at least be a situational rusher, or Dre Moore who was compared to Kris freakin' Jenkins.

It doesn't matter how good your linebackers are if you don't have good defensive tackles are at least a lot of depth. We don't have depth, and I don't think we are that good inside.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:01 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Does anyone think we could possibly switch to the 3-4 defense? To pass on as many defensive linemen as the team did and draft yet another linebacker, it makes me wonder.