Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 04-28-2008, 07:05 AM    (permalink
d-dave

On another Panthers message board, a lot of hub-bub was made over the panthers lack of DL help all draft long. Especially since Kris Jenkins was traded away to the Jets leaving us with Kemo, Lewis and some other "guys" in at Defensive Tackle. I tend to put my faith in Fox for better and for worse so I got to thinking "how are we a better team with the addition of a 6th round run stuffer?" So I did some digging.

In the John Fox era (2002-Current) we have had some half-way decent run defense. Not always great, but not too horrible for six years. Kris Jenkins has been one of our most talented Defensive Linemen since he got here in 2001. Going back to 2001 to present (www.panthers.com/gameday for all the stats) I've made a rather interesting discovery.

The best run defense year of the John Fox era was 2005. Best for yards, average, and TDs. Also the fewest run attempts by our opponets. Guess who only played in one game in 2005? Kris Jenkins. The position was handeled by Jordan Carstens, Brenston Buckner, and Kindal Moorehead. An aging vet, an Iowa pig farmer, and a 5th round pick. Lets see what we have to look foreward to for 2008 then.

Kemo, big line plugger doing his job. Lewis is a penetrating pass rusher on the inside, and Stephen Williams, Gary Gibson, and finally our 6th round selection Nick Hayden.

Does this mean I'm jumping for joy at our incredible depth and talent at DT? Not at all. But the Panthers coaching staff has been here before with less and done more. So this will be an interesting off season as far as DT goes. Which vets will we bring in? We have to bring someone in! Which undrafted FAs are we going to go after? Interesting stuff!
Old 04-28-2008, 05:24 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do you remember what happened to our interior line in 2005 against Seattle? It was that game that made us go out and get Kemo.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:44 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do agree that this coaching staff generally has gotten a lot of production out of the DT position from unexpected sources. Moorhead, Carstens, Lewis after he was basically a bust, etc

However, I wonder how much of this was simply a result of feeding off Peppers when he was a beast, and Rucker when he was still functional.
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:57 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
I do agree that this coaching staff generally has gotten a lot of production out of the DT position from unexpected sources. Moorhead, Carstens, Lewis after he was basically a bust, etc

However, I wonder how much of this was simply a result of feeding off Peppers when he was a beast, and Rucker when he was still functional.
No no no, there can only be one conclusion taken from this.

Kris Jenkins made the Panthers run D worse. Addition by subtraction.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:19 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I sense sarcasm in your post, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were true to an extent.

Jenkins has always been a penetrator at DT - a shoot the gap guy. While that's are a huge asset for the pass rush, it does sacrifice some run defense. Rod Coleman is the largest example I can think of. He always put up good sack numbers but he's part of the reason why the Falcons run d sucked for years. Now, Jenkins is a more solid all-around player than Coleman but like I said, to an extent.

Also, Kris hasn't been the same since he got back from the two years off. His pro bowl nod was solely based on name recognition and he actually played better in 07 than 06 IMO. Don't get me wrong, he still contributes more than he hurts but I really think he's extremely overrated at this juncture. I'm not going to miss him much this year, though I certainly wouldn't mind having him back
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote