Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:14 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In response to Jbond's post

Carolina's not really on the downfall. The reason for the 7-9 season is soley QB. The team quit on David Carr because he's hopeless. With Moore the team beat a playoff team and came close to winning against another.

The team had only a couple of holes RB, FS, LT, DT and as of the signing of Walker they've all been filled.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:46 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post

Carolina's not really on the downfall. The reason for the 7-9 season is soley QB. The team quit on David Carr because he's hopeless. With Moore the team beat a playoff team and came close to winning against another.

The team had only a couple of holes RB, FS, LT, DT and as of the signing of Walker they've all been filled.
Well, SOME team has to do worse next year right?

But honestly, I'm not feeling Carolina's offense yet. I think they still have some offensive line holes, and there passing game still won't be there. Even with Moore, I think they still struggle offensively and have a subpar team. I DO think 8-8 is the ceiling this year unless they play out of their minds. The secondary is still looking a bit...mediocre to me? I'm just not exciting by anything on Carolina's team.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:54 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As an Eagles fan, I like the sound of a mediocre/crappy Carolina 2008...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:01 PM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.

I think the panthers should've waited on a RB and gone oline and dline first a Brandon Albert in the first, a DE like Jason Jones or Quentin Groves in the second then look for your power runner in the third or fourth. I just think with DeAngelo Williams already in place you can wait past the first round to grab a RB unless DMC had somehow fallen to them.
TheGreatEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Breaker
Rookie

Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
HOUSTON TEXANS

1. Duane Brown, LT - #26 Overall
He was a reach to most in terms of value. To some a big reach. That said, he was the top guy left at a position of need (no idea when Spencer will be back and if he will still be a Left Tackle, and Ephraim Salaam isn't the answer, even though hes been serviceable). He was apparently hand picked prior to the draft by Alex Gibbs, and was said to be the guy we'd take if Chris Williams was gone. We traded back and picked up an extra 3rd and 6th, and still got the guy that Gibbs wanted. Brown is perfect for Gibbs and this system. I didn't like the pick when it was initially made, but I've come to trust what Kubiak and Smith do, and I'll trust them on this one as well. Grade wise, pluses for being a great fit at a position of need and picking up an extra 3rd and 6th, minus for being a reach. B-

2. Antwaun Molden, CB - #79 Overall
With Dunta out until around midseason, Cornerback was a must for us in our first few picks this year. Fred Bennett was very very good for us last year, but behind him we have relatively nothing. Dominique Rogers Cromartie was taken just ahead of us by Arizona, and Dallas jumped up and took Jenkins right before us in round one (though I doubt we'd have taken them anyway, if reports are true), and there was a small run on CB's before our pick in round 3, so it seemed to just be bad luck. That said, I really like Molden, even if I don't know a ton about the guy. Mayock said hes basically DRC without the push and notoriety from the senior bowl appearance, I'm going to go along with that, cause it sounds good. Ohhh yeah. Grade wise, pluses for being very talented at a position of need. Minuses for being raw, even though I've heard from reliable sources (.. okay, my sources are a post from toonster, but thats as reliable as anything, right?) .. anyway, according to him, Molden may be a lot more close to 'ready' than people think. B-

3. Steve Slaton, RB - #89 Overall
Our running back situation is far from pretty. When Ahman was healthy last year, he was good. That said, he was healthy for about 13 minutes of the season. Ron Dayne isn't completely awful, but in no way is he good. Walker and Taylor have had very little playing time to know how they'll be, but neither looks to be any type of long term fixture as a starter. Slaton is another good fit at a position of need. Hey look, a theme. Players being taken that play at positions of need. Will add some much (much) needed speed to the running back position, and the overall offense. Grade wise, Pluses for being a good scheme fit at a position of need. Minuses for me not liking the guy. Jerk. B-

4. Xavier Adibi, LB - #118 Overall
Ya know, I love this pick. It's not necessarily because I think he'll be great, it's just that I absolutely loved watching him play at Virginia Tech, and am thrilled to be able to see him every week in the NFL. That aside, he really does have a good shot at coming in and winning the Weakside spot sometime this year. He's a playmaker to go beside the unbelievable solidness, consistency, and football smarts of DeMeco Ryans. And he looks like a complete badass in uniform. Always a plus. Finally, someone who at least has a chance, even if its a small one, at being able to cover Dallas Clark while in the nickel. Grade Wise, pluses for being a playmaker at a position of need, having an awesome name, looking like a complete badass in unfiorm, and being fun to watch. Minuses for nothing, becuase Adibi is a god. And yes, I realize some people will completely and utterly disagree with me on this. A

5. Frank Okam, DT - #151 Overall
I'm pretty sure everyone thinks this, so its not some huge revelation, but he could either be very good, or a complete flop. But even as a flop, theres no chance in hell he can be as unbelievably stupid on the field as Travis Johnson is. If he can get motivated, it'll be a good pick for us. He has the talent around him to be effective, playing next to Mario Williams and Amobi Okoye. Grade wise, pluses for being a Longhorn (Hook em!), being absolutely massive, and being smart as hell. Minuses for being absolutely massive, and for not always giving effort. You know. Same old **** from him. Ill give him a middle of the road grade because this pick can go either way, and can do so in an extreme fashion both ways. He could be very very good, he could end up sucking. Who knows. C

6. Dominique Barber, S - #173 Overall
Uh. Well. Here's where my lack of draft knowledge, or lack of really caring enough to read up on anyone hurts. I don't really know a thing about this guy. He's a safety though. We need safeties. Grade wise, plus for being at a position of need, minus for uh, me not knowing who he is. Besides, brothers of good players rarely work out. C-

7. Alex Brink, QB - #223 Overall
Yea. Again, no idea. I told get to see many (or rather any. I might as well not lie) Washington State games. So I can't say I really know anything about this either. He's a 7th rounder though, so what do I care. Pluses for me not caring enough about him to look for negatives, minuses for me not knowing who he is. C-

Anyway. Overall, we filled a lot of needs with some guys who have some good upside. None were sexy picks, and our #1 was a reach, so it'll be looked at negatively, but as a fan, I'm perfectly fine with this class.
Agreed with most of them. I would give Okam a B+ though, I think he could be a big steal from where we got him. He's a 1st round talent drafted in the 5th.

I would also give Barber, and Brink a D-, drafting both at the position we're stacked at instead of trying to find a gem at a position of need. *cough Brian Johnston*

Also, I must say I'm offended by the Poll in the NFLDC mainpage. Duane a reach? Scott, in your mock you had him going at #29 and you also said he was moving up teams draft boards in the last couple of weeks. But whatever, people thought Mario was a reach when we took him at #1, those were the same people that thought we were dumb for passing up on Bush. I don't think Brown is a reach, but we shall see...
Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:37 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pittsburgh Steelers

1. Rashard Mendenhall - At first I wasn't big on this pick. Of course he is great value but RB is clearly not a need with Pro-Bowl RB Parker and the FA addition of Moore, but them more you look at it, teams with more than 1 solid RB always seem to find time for both guys, and they run better. Im expecting this to be a great duo and make the Steelers run game, esspecially short yardage, alot better.

2. Limas Sweed - My favorite pick of the Steelers draft. Sweed was amazing value in the later half of the 2nd round and he fills a huge need. Sweed makes the receiving core so much stronger and gives Ben the big target he has been missing since Plax left. Will play slot immediately and take over for Ward whenever he retires.

3. Bruce Davis - The team is very high on Bruce Davis as a player, I would have prefered Avril. But Davis was a bit of a reach in my mind, but he fills more of a need than people think. Timmons was drafted to play inside and Harrison may have had a great season but he is on the wrong side of 30. Davis will provide depth where there was none at OLB and will contribute to our horrible special teams immediately.

4. Tony Hills - I think he is great value in the 4th round and projects to a huge area of need at LT. If Hills is able to take over LT after Marvel is let go after this season, he could be the steal of the draft.

5. Dennis Dixon - Not as big of a suprise to Steelers fans as it may be to outsiders. The Steelers were very impressed by his workout and he has great value. But after signing Ben to 100 mil deal, makes me wonder whats up with this pick. Dixon has the speed and athleticism, but he doesn't really have the size or frame to make the switch to a slash style player, ala Kordell his rookie year. Could be a dangerous weapon for Arians to play with.

6a. Mike Humpal - An inside linebacker that can provide depth and special teams help. Most likely won't make the team with Farrior, Foote, Timmons, and FA signing Fox ahead of him.

6b. Ryan Mundy - Trade down with the Giants go them an extra 6th rounder so thats worth saying. Steelers brought him in on a visit and liked what they saw. I only see a special teams player and a guy that can provide depth and thankfully bump Tyrone Carter off the roster.

Overall I'm giving this draft a B+ for now. Mendenhall and Sweed should make an immediate impact on this offense. If Hills or Davis are able to get starting spots or Dixon turns into a weapon, the grade will easily move into an A range.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Last edited by Smooth Criminal : 04-29-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:41 PM    (permalink
DragonFireKai
Veteran

DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.

Quote:

Moore has a very limited ceiling. He'll be at best, a Trent Dilfer type player. He can bottom out pretty far too. When he's not comfortable, he's a turnover machine.

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
The Destroyer Is Manifest!
I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk
DragonFireKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:13 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
Well, SOME team has to do worse next year right?

But honestly, I'm not feeling Carolina's offense yet. I think they still have some offensive line holes, and there passing game still won't be there. Even with Moore, I think they still struggle offensively and have a subpar team. I DO think 8-8 is the ceiling this year unless they play out of their minds. The secondary is still looking a bit...mediocre to me? I'm just not exciting by anything on Carolina's team.
Delhomme is the starter and will be ready to go come game 1. He's throwing a real football already and isn't having any pain in his elbow. Realistically last year he was in with the likes of Brady, Manning and Romo for the first few games of the season. He's a solid middle of the pack QB and is capable of 25+ TDs 12- INTs and is able to move the chains with dink and dunk passes. There's no issue at QB AT ALL.

The offensive line has new blood. Our guards: Kendrick Vincent, Brown, Fonuti, Mathis (starter at RG last year), Jeremy Bridges (started when Mathis when down and held the job), Hangartner (played all three spots, played LG when Wahle went down), Wharton (signed starters salary to play guard), Kalil (best centre to come out in the past 3 years, equal with Mangold), Gross at LT (didn't give up a sack last year -> made hartwig expendable) and otah. The team is built for running the ball at oline and we've got 2 strong running backs.

At wide receiver we've got two number twos with Hackett and Muhummad and a top 5 WR in Smith.

there's a huge potential for bust I'll admit with injuries and a lack of chemistry able to rear its ugly head, but we're talking about 8 players to fill 3 spots, all with starting experience and 5 players on the roster who can play tackle.

That's a decent offensive line for a team facing some weak defenses this year.

The secondary has Lucas, Gamble, Coughlough, Wesley, Marshall, Harris and now Godfrey at FS. That's a 5 cornerback set where Wesley and Coughlough, experienced players will be covering 4th and 5th receivers. Harris lead the league in FF so he's a hitter and Godfrey shouldn't struggle after player in a cover 2 at Free safety.

Sure, there's not a lot of probowl talent, but every player from top to bottom on the roster is what you'd call "serviceable to above average" "fit for the system" and history (patriots, panthers 03, eagles of 04, giants of 0 has shown to be more than capable of making the playoffs.

The team having an 8-8 season after drafting a great running back and 2 solid receivers when offense has been the biggest problem, since the NFCCG year of 05 is pretty tough to swallow.

I'm not saying the team is superbowl bound, but in the NFC South, they're a chance to win the division at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireKai View Post
Moore has a very limited ceiling. He'll be at best, a Trent Dilfer type player. He can bottom out pretty far too. When he's not comfortable, he's a turnover machine.

Moore is a backup who played well. I don't see him as anything moore (lawl).

Last edited by BlindSite : 04-29-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:18 PM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Delhomme is the starter and will be ready to go come game 1. He's throwing a real football already and isn't having any pain in his elbow. Realistically last year he was in with the likes of Brady, Manning and Romo for the first few games of the season. He's a solid middle of the pack QB and is capable of 25+ TDs 12- INTs and is able to move the chains with dink and dunk passes. There's no issue at QB AT ALL.

The offensive line has new blood. Our guards: Kendrick Vincent, Brown, Fonuti, Mathis (starter at RG last year), Jeremy Bridges (started when Mathis when down and held the job), Hangartner (played all three spots, played LG when Wahle went down), Wharton (signed starters salary to play guard), Kalil (best centre to come out in the past 3 years, equal with Mangold), Gross at LT (didn't give up a sack last year -> made hartwig expendable) and otah. The team is built for running the ball at oline and we've got 2 strong running backs.

At wide receiver we've got two number twos with Hackett and Muhummad and a top 5 WR in Smith.

there's a huge potential for bust I'll admit with injuries and a lack of chemistry able to rear its ugly head, but we're talking about 8 players to fill 3 spots, all with starting experience and 5 players on the roster who can play tackle.

That's a decent offensive line for a team facing some weak defenses this year.

The secondary has Lucas, Gamble, Coughlough, Wesley, Marshall, Harris and now Godfrey at FS. That's a 5 cornerback set where Wesley and Coughlough, experienced players will be covering 4th and 5th receivers. Harris lead the league in FF so he's a hitter and Godfrey shouldn't struggle after player in a cover 2 at Free safety.

Sure, there's not a lot of probowl talent, but every player from top to bottom on the roster is what you'd call "serviceable to above average" "fit for the system" and history (patriots, panthers 03, eagles of 04, giants of 0 has shown to be more than capable of making the playoffs.

The team having an 8-8 season after drafting a great running back and 2 solid receivers when offense has been the biggest problem, since the NFCCG year of 05 is pretty tough to swallow.

I'm not saying the team is superbowl bound, but in the NFC South, they're a chance to win the division at least.

Moore is a backup who played well. I don't see him as anything moore (lawl).
I really hope your wrong.
eaglesfan_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:29 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

All the team did this year was a patriot esque signing spree of veterans who fit the system who still have some go in the tank.

The team wasn't that bad apart from QB play last year.

Delhomme is coming back from the injury.

I have no idea where this ******** "PANTHERS MUST GET A QB" camp of the NFL analysts came from.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:57 PM    (permalink
DragonFireKai
Veteran

DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.

Quote:
I have no idea where this ******** "PANTHERS MUST GET A QB" camp of the NFL analysts came from.
Welcome to the life of an Eagles fan. Remember when we were going to trade McNabb? Remember when we were going to trade Lito? Remember when we were going to trade up for Jeff Ottah because we absolutely needed him?

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
The Destroyer Is Manifest!
I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk
DragonFireKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:12 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
All the team did this year was a patriot esque signing spree of veterans who fit the system who still have some go in the tank.

The team wasn't that bad apart from QB play last year.

Delhomme is coming back from the injury.

I haven't either. I always thought. Delhomme was the talk of the town three years ago. Totally the 'what have you done for me lately' league... he's been injured... not dead.

and he'll come back and throw decently and make fox keep his job. which is good. good for the franchise...

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote