Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Will He Be Traded?
Yes 10 20.41%
No 39 79.59%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2008, 01:34 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
Well, I certainly agree that Roy Williams is the offensive MVP of every Cowboys-Eagles game.

If the Cowboys cut Roy, then they will have Pat Watkins back there (I think--correct me if I'm wrong). I don't see Watkins as much better in coverage compared to Roy, but at the same time, he has room to grow and improve. He is also a huge guy who can probably get to more balls than other safeties.
Pat Watkins plays Free Safety, but there's talk about sliding Hammy over to the Strong Side so Watkins can play his true spot.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:47 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope the Cowboys hang onto RW Sucks for at least 2008. For what looks to be an incredibly potent team, he's their one big chink in their armor.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:53 PM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.

They're great on the edge but you can take advantage of them up the middle.
TheGreatEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:01 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not certain how great the Cowboys will be on the outside edge this year. Newman is very, very good, but Pacman should be rusty when and if he gets back. Jenkins is a rookie and hasn't proven anything at the NFL level.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:04 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not certain how great the Cowboys will be on the outside edge this year. Newman is very, very good, but Pacman should be rusty when and if he gets back. Jenkins is a rookie and hasn't proven anything at the NFL level.
Forgetting about Anthony Henry? He can't man-up with the fastest in the league anymore, or i don't think he ever could, but he's still as good as a physical corner that you can get. He's a ball-hawk and he can play at a pro-bowl level if he can stay healthy all year.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:05 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought Henry would play FS and would no longer be at CB. He would be part of the up the middle D, not the edge.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 05-20-2008, 02:13 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
I thought Henry would play FS and would no longer be at CB. He would be part of the up the middle D, not the edge.
Nope. It's very unlikely that Henry plays anywhere outside of Corner this year. Read it on the Cowboys' website, one of their writers said that Phillips and Jones had pretty much written that idea off for now.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:23 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Well, given his age, I can't see him improving. Solid, not spectacular. Even so, the Cowboys have an issue up the middle because their nickel and dime CB's will be either rusty or rookies.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:28 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Well, given his age, I can't see him improving. Solid, not spectacular. Even so, the Cowboys have an issue up the middle because their nickel and dime CB's will be either rusty or rookies.
Well as someone that has watched every game he's been in as a Cowboy, i'll have to disagree with you saying he's just solid. He's more than just that. He's not great, but he's not an average guy either. He just needs to stay healthy. Granted that it might be a lot to ask of a guy that's constantly hurt, but one can only wish.

Terence Newman slides into the nickel in passing situations, which leaves the outside for Jenkins. If Jones has to come in, he'll come in on the dime and he more than likely will be matched up against a scrub WR, so there shouldn't be too much to worry.

The only weak link IMO on the Cowboys is Roy Williams. If we can get him away from having to cover the Jeremy Shockey's of the world, we'll have a top 5 defense.

Besides, how many teams can say they have three 1st round corners on their team? I think we've addressed our CB situation more than adequately this off-season.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:38 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

If Henry isn't playing FS, who is? Watkins? What depth is there? I'm really not sure myself. Asking someone who should know. With Newman playing the slot in nickel situations, you might have some issues as I see it. Newman might match up with a slot receiver. On the Eagles, that would be either DeSean Jackson or Hank Baskett or Jason Avant. Edge for Newman. However, that leaves Reggie Brown and Kevin Curtis locked up in man coverage on the outside with safety help. Spreading things out, you have Demarcus Ware covering either Westbrook or LJ Smith, leaving the other to find holes in the zone or matched up against a LB that he can beat. If you try to double Westbrook, you leave Smith open and hang your other CB's on an island in Cover 1 coverage, plus you have to assume that professional WR's might be able to beat Newman 20% of the time...

When I say Henry is solid, I mean he's good. Slightly above average, but not a world-beater. He is a good tackler as well.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:41 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
honestly, im not sure if i speak for all Giants, Eagles and Redskins fans on this, but Im really hoping Roy stays on the Cowboys as long as possible. Its going to be a sad day when he gets cut.

Bc then you have to adjust your offensive strategy. Its always been a simple strategy, spread out the Dallas defense and pick on Roy Williams. Now with those 3 CBs and potentially no Roy Williams, I dunno how you attack that defense.

As of now, from the reports around, we are going to play Anthony Henry at FS in dime and nickel packages, Hamlin at SS, and Roy as a LB somewhere in there, thus he won't be playing deep what so ever...But again, this is speculation, Henry probably won't move to FS at this point, but I think we see him lining up there alot, he is a great zone corner anyway...I doubt he moves outright unless we get Adam Jones back so him, Jenkins, and Newman can play CB with Scandrick as the 4th, that would probably be the only way we saw a permanent move to FS.

And again, I don't know who ever assumed or thought Roy was a great cover safety, he has been getting beat in pass coverage since he came out, I certainly have never defended that aspect.

It just gets a little old when I hear people say "well all the Cowboys fans", because obviously 2 homer fans that came about speaks for all the rational fans If I heard some outrageous remarks about a Giants player from a few guys I don't turn that into "all you Giants fans were proclaiming" because everyone has a different rationale...Some Cowboys fans see everything as a positive, and whenever there is a negative they turn it into something positive...People put up with Roy's coverage defeciancies because of his presence on the field and what else he could bring to the table...Albeit not a great cover guy, but he has been known to come up with huge INT's before, the one vs Philly comes to mind where McNabb was injured on the play.

Also the fact that you guys are on the outside looking in, of course you guys wanted to call him trash before any of us, as fans all you can do is have hope for a guy to make plays and turn it around, it may never happen but you can certainly hope it happens...But don't hold a few opinions as "All Cowboy fans", I hear that so much it drives me crazy, that be like me going to extremeskins and taking 3 or 4 posters over there and turning that into "All Redskins fans".

We can argue all day about how good he was, or at what point he got bad, but point blank he started his career off on the right foot and was a very promising safety, you can't blame anyone for holding out hope or the guy, what else can you do when your stuck with him? It's also no secret the gameplan is throw at Roy, its not like the other 3 NFC east teams know this and we don't, the entire league knows that...Unfortunately with his salary we have to make the best of it now, and hope for a few big plays here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 05-20-2008 at 02:45 PM.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:00 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

why waste a pick and the money on him when Adam Archuleta, a similar player, is in FA...