Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:41 PM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan_45 View Post
The Cowboys cheated they used the no salary cap season (2010) to sign those guys. Ugh

its called being smart

cred 2 BoneKrusher
kwilk103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:52 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I think Jerry is banking on no salary cap. Im sure theres writing in those contracts that will change the net worth depending on whether a salary cap exists or not in the future.

If not, its gonna be awfully hard extending Ware. But who knows, these contracts are tricky, im sure they can make it work somehow.
He still has 2 years left on the rookie deal and is priority number 1. Greg ellis will be out of the league soon and this defense is going to revolve around Ware and Spencer.

IMO there is no way these contracts would have any implications on keeping Ware. He is the best player on the defense and probably best on the entire team next to T.O. and Witten.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:26 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ware will get a Freeney type deal, if not more, that's one guy I have no worries about at all...Jerry will reward him for his play, character, and being a leader on the team, same situation with Barber there is 0% chance Ware gets close to going anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:12 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a good deal for Barber, IMO. He is good, but he isn't a game breaker and hasn't showed he can pound it 25-35 times a game.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:23 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Not a good deal for Barber, IMO. He is good, but he isn't a game breaker and hasn't showed he can pound it 25-35 times a game.
But Michael Turner has right?

Quote:
Old 05-21-2008, 01:29 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
But Michael Turner has right?
There comes 'game breaking ability'. Which was in the first part of my post. Turner has the potential to be a gamebreaking back. Barber lacks the tools to do that, and has not shown ability to carry the ball 30 times a game.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:38 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
There comes 'game breaking ability'. Which was in the first part of my post. Turner has the potential to be a gamebreaking back. Barber lacks the tools to do that, and has not shown ability to carry the ball 30 times a game.
When has Turner shown this ability? Because his contract was 6 years 35 million, with 15 million guaranteed, while Barbers was 7 years, 45 million and 16 million guaranteed...Who has proved more in their career?

As far as Barber not being a 'gamebreaking back', how do you classify that? Edgerrin James was never consistently knocking out 80 yd runs, but I don't think that means he isn't or wasn't a good NFL back...He hasn't had a run over 45 yds since his rookie year, does that mean he also wasn't worth the money, or not a 'gamebreaker'?

Quote:
Old 05-21-2008, 01:43 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
When has Turner shown this ability? Because his contract was 6 years 35 million, with 15 million guaranteed, while Barbers was 7 years, 45 million and 16 million guaranteed...Who has proved more in their career?

As far as Barber not being a 'gamebreaking back', how do you classify that? Edgerrin James was never consistently knocking out 80 yd runs, but I don't think that means he isn't or wasn't a good NFL back...He hasn't had a run over 45 yd since his rookie year, does that mean he also wasn't worth the money, or not a good back?
Okay, so Barber has more potential than a guy who is 5'10" 240 and can run with PacMan Jones?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j6aPPuuPeCc (2:20)

I'm not saying he produced like Barber. He produced as a backup, but not like Barber. But he has way more potential. Barber has shown his tricks.

Edge was a gamebreaking back until he tore up his knee. Not to mention he was a consistent 1,500 yard rusher when he got his contracts, and Barber hasn't hit 1,000.

Let me reiterate (spelling). Barber is not a potential gamebreaker (Turner) or a guy who has shown he can handle 25-35 carries a game when needed (Edge).

Old 05-21-2008, 01:54 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Ok I get it, Barber isn't worth 16 million guaranteed because he's not your cup of tea, but a guy who has spelled the best Rb in the game his entire career is worth 15 million, makes sense.

If thats your only basis for disagreement I guess so...Everyone gets so caught up in the '30 carries a game' stuff now, how many Rb's still do that? And do you think those are the only Rb's who will demand top dollar? I would prefer my guy gets his 20 carries a game and not be ran into the ground the same way LJ has, but thats just me...I also would feel alot better about giving a guy this type a money who we have seen for 3 years, hasn't been hurt yet, and produced every chance he had the opportunity more so then a guy who made a living off of defenses that LT ran through.

And you also called Edge a 'gamebreaking back', and I pointed out he hasn't had a rush over 45 yds in about 8 years now, so what is making Edge a gamebreaker, the fact that he can carry the ball 30 times a game or what?

Quote:
Old 05-21-2008, 01:59 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Ok I get it, Barber isn't worth 16 million guaranteed because he's not your cup of tea, but a guy who has spelled the best Rb in the game his entire career is worth 15 million, makes sense.

If thats your only basis for disagreement I guess so...Everyone gets so caught up in the '30 carries a game' stuff now, how many Rb's still do that? And do you think those are the only Rb's who will demand top dollar? I would prefer my guy gets his 20 carries a game and not be ran into the ground the same way LJ has, but thats just me...I also would feel alot better about giving a guy this type a money who we have seen for 3 years, hasn't been hurt yet, and produced every chance he had the opportunity more so then a guy who made a living off of defenses that LT ran through.

And you also called Edge a 'gamebreaking back', and I pointed out he hasn't had a rush over 45 yds in about 8 years now, so what is making Edge a gamebreaker, the fact that he can carry the ball 30 times a game or what?
You must have problems reading. I said he was a gamebreaker until he blew his knee out. He blew his knee out in his third season. I also said

Quote:
Let me reiterate (spelling). Barber is not a potential gamebreaker (Turner) or a guy who has shown he can handle 25-35 carries a game when needed (Edge).
I did not say both. I said or. He can handle the load.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does Turner have the potential to score double digit TD's while averaging about 5 ypc?

Barber did. Twice.
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:39 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_a_Romosexual View Post
Does Turner have the potential to score double digit TD's while averaging about 5 ypc?

Barber did. Twice.
Umm, yes? Did you not hear the 5'10" 240 4.4 part? He has the potential to do it all. The question is will he hold up, will he be as physical when getting carries all throughout the game, will he have that speed in the fourth quarter on his 25th carry.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:45 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
You must have problems reading. I said he was a gamebreaker until he blew his knee out. He blew his knee out in his third season.
I guess you can't have a debate without throwing out coy remarks...Maybe you are the one having problems reading, I specifically asked you WHAT made Edge a gamebreaking back, don't just say "he was a gamebreaking back before he blew out his knee", because I alread pointed out to you that long runs are not his forte, and this was BEFORE he blew his knee out...And the Cardinals didn't have a problem paying top dollar for a back with alot of miles that already blew his knee out, but I guess that deal was ok too.

Quote:
Old 05-21-2008, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Umm, yes? Did you not hear the 5'10" 240 4.4 part? He has the potential to do it all. The question is will he hold up, will he be as physical when getting carries all throughout the game, will he have that speed in the fourth quarter on his 25th carry.
It's a 2 back league. Turner himself is going to be in a 2 back system.

Who cares if someone has gamebreaking speed? Honestly, how many 50+ yard runs do the fastest backs get in a season? How many did LT have last year? 2, maybe 3?

People act like the guy is a snail. I bet if you go look at who had the most runs over 20+ yards last year, Barber is in the top 5, if not top 3. He had bigger runs than guys faster than him due to his vision.

To even put turner on a level close to Barber is a joke. Barber is proven and Turner is not. Turner has had injury problems too, whereas Barber and his "out of control" running style hasn't missed a snap.

Who cares if he can tote the rock 25-30 times a game. Felix Jones insures that he can keep it between 15-20, which is a great strategy.

People love to hate, but they're being blind.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerLegend View Post
A great deal for the 49ers and crappy deal for Gore. You just wait deals like this have a trickle down effect and since Barber is getting this much Gore will think he should be getting more and in all likely hood will at some point.

Gore got 14 mil guaranteed, I'm sure he can manage to work with that.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:43 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Falcons overpaid for Turner and the Cowboys overpaid for Barber. I think that should settle you guys' argument
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:48 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
It's a 2 back league. Turner himself is going to be in a 2 back system.

Who cares if someone has gamebreaking speed? Honestly, how many 50+ yard runs do the fastest backs get in a season? How many did LT have last year? 2, maybe 3?

People act like the guy is a snail. I bet if you go look at who had the most runs over 20+ yards last year, Barber is in the top 5, if not top 3. He had bigger runs than guys faster than him due to his vision.

To even put turner on a level close to Barber is a joke. Barber is proven and Turner is not. Turner has had injury problems too, whereas Barber and his "out of control" running style hasn't missed a snap.

Who cares if he can tote the rock 25-30 times a game. Felix Jones insures that he can keep it between 15-20, which is a great strategy.

People love to hate, but they're being blind.
Barber was seventh in runs over 20 last year, tied with five others.

If I'm not getting A.) a gamebreaker, or B.) a lead ballcarrier, then I'm not shelling out that cash.

Quote:
I guess you can't have a debate without throwing out coy remarks...Maybe you are the one having problems reading, I specifically asked you WHAT made Edge a gamebreaking back, don't just say "he was a gamebreaking back before he blew out his knee", because I alread pointed out to you that long runs are not his forte, and this was BEFORE he blew his knee out...And the Cardinals didn't have a problem paying top dollar for a back with alot of miles that already blew his knee out, but I guess that deal was ok too.
Quote:
Here you said what is making him a gamebreaker. That is present tense. His rookie year was past tense. I never said he was a gamebreaker now. I said he can be a lead ball carrier. Those are two different things. You sound rediculous. They didn't have a problem doing it because he, after that injury, had proved himself durable by averaging over 1,200 yards rushing over the next four seasons, consistently handling 300 carries a year.

Quote:
because I alread pointed out to you that long runs are not his forte, and this was BEFORE he blew his knee out...
You pointed it out? If you did, then you did so very poorly. Let's see. Was it the long run of 72 yards? The nine runs over 20 yards, good for fourth in the NFL that year? Or the four runs over forty yards, tied for first in the league that year and would have been second this year? Which one was it? His second year. Let's see. He again had nine runs over 20 yards, good for seventh in the league. Not quite as explosive, but not bad for a guy who is 6'0" 220 and runs a 4.4. He also had two catches over 40 yards in 2000, and one for over 40 in 1999.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:59 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doesn't it seem like Dallas has too many big names in their secondary right now with Newman, Jones, Jenkins, Henry, Williams, and Hamlin. All those guys except Hamlin I think are on long term deals too.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Doesn't it seem like Dallas has too many big names in their secondary right now with Newman, Jones, Jenkins, Henry, Williams, and Hamlin. All those guys except Hamlin I think are on long term deals too.
Apparently a long term deal for Hamlin was almost finished on the same day as Barber and Newman but they couldn't get it done, so look for that to come soon.