Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:12 PM    (permalink
TerribleEd
Rookie

TerribleEd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default 4-3 Defense coming to Pittsburgh, I Can Feel It!

I apologize for first posting this in an incorrect place. I think I got it right this time.
TerribleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:17 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They'd need some true DEs.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:18 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If they go 4-3, they need a complete overhaul of their front seven. In my opinion, that would be stupid.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:24 PM    (permalink
TerribleEd
Rookie

TerribleEd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Complete Overhaul

They need a nearly complete overhaul to their current 3-4 LB corps anyway. Porter, Haggans, and Farrior are all short timers.

Some of the current front seven could make a switch. Some would need replaced. I don't think it would be as daunting a task as people think.

With the aged and yet still aging of the front seven, I think now's as good a time as any would be to make a transition.

I know switching would be the preference of either Tomlin or Rivera if one should be hired, which is looking more and more of a realistic possibility.
TerribleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:30 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Porter leaves, Farrior in the middle with Haggans and Harrison on the outside could work at linebacker. Hampton and Hoke might work at DT, but they would need to find 4-3 ends.

This is assuming that we aren't talking about the Tampa 2 in which case the whole front 7 would have to be rehauled.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:30 PM    (permalink
TIP
Veteran

TIP hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

THere is no way they can swtich to a 4-3, they'd need to get a overhaul on the entire front seven and get new DE's for starters...won't happen...I'm hoping Russ Grimm Gets the job. Dick LeBeua won't change his defense

Props to Darnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
Why couldn't Helen Keller drive?

She was a woman.
^^^^^^
OMFG LMAO
TIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:13 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIP
THere is no way they can swtich to a 4-3, they'd need to get a overhaul on the entire front seven and get new DE's for starters...won't happen...I'm hoping Russ Grimm Gets the job. Dick LeBeua won't change his defense
I agree, it would mean a complete overhaul of the front 7 and a very lengthy rebuilding process. I cannot see Pittsburgh wanting to rebuild just yet. They are in a serious position to challange again for the Super Bowl, it wouldbe just cray to risk that.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:50 AM    (permalink
justified83

i'd be dissappointed if the steelers switch defensive schemes. when i think of the steelers i think of a smash mouth football team with a blood thirsty 3-4 defense.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:22 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really do not think Pittsburgh is going to change defensive schemes and convert to the 4-3. It does not make any sense for them to do so, especially with the personnel they already have.

No matter who their new coach is, whether it be Rivera, Tomlin, Grimm, or a dark horse candidate like Cowher was, I highly doubt they would change what has been working for years in Pittsburgh and that is the 3-4.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:31 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even if they hire somebody from outside the organization who has a 4-3 background, I think they'll still keep Lebeau around as defensive coordinator and run a 3-4.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:55 AM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He should hire Cam Cameron as the head coach. And keep dick as the DC.

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:56 AM    (permalink
NFLBOY
Rookie

NFLBOY hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

People come up with the craziest ideas. No way Pittsburgh is switching to the 4-3. The Steelers are always a top notch D that finishes in the top 10 on a usual basis and for the most part are in the top 5 quite a bit. Plus why would you change a mastermind game plan that lebeau can only come up with.Personally I hope they don't sign Rivera or Tomlin.
NFLBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:02 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It wouldn't make sense at the moment to switch to Cover 2. The overhaul would take several years to take place. And with such a dominant 3-4 NT like Hampton, youd be wasting his talents in the Cover 2.

I think however it would be somewhat appropriate to go to Cover 2. Since Pittsburgh is the true birthplace and predecessor of the scheme, its only appropriate that they go back to their roots and play a quick 4-3 defense.

I love teams sticking to their identity. I felt it adds to the rich history of the sport. The Giants, Steelers, and Bears should always be teams with punishing defenses and run heavy offenses. The Colts should always have a great offense. The 49ers should always be a WCO team. The Packers should always be a rich offensive team.

If I had it my way, different teams would stick to their identity all the time. It makes for great history. People's football philosophies and opinions would vary from region to region. It would make for more interesting football if it was played that way.

Me personally, I dislike what the Giants have become. We're too focused on the offensive side of the ball and the pass game. Our defense is soft, which is an embarassment to an organization always known for a punishing defense. We're not playing Giants football right now, and Id love to go back to our style of defense and smashmouth offense. Thats what we are. Thats what we do. Someone needs to send that memo to Coughlin.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler

Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.

I'd be the highest bidder at the Casey Hampton auction if they don't want him, that would be insane to get rid of him. :D

Bosanac01
Nitschke-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:03 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Poz for Weakside Linebacker, and Timmons for Strong Side. But seing how you have Porter and Farrior I'd go with Poz.

The Cadillac Three - Tennessee Mojo
http://youtu.be/N41DdVedXCo
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:09 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
It wouldn't make sense at the moment to switch to Cover 2. The overhaul would take several years to take place. And with such a dominant 3-4 NT like Hampton, youd be wasting his talents in the Cover 2.

I think however it would be somewhat appropriate to go to Cover 2. Since Pittsburgh is the true birthplace and predecessor of the scheme, its only appropriate that they go back to their roots and play a quick 4-3 defense.

I love teams sticking to their identity. I felt it adds to the rich history of the sport. The Giants, Steelers, and Bears should always be teams with punishing defenses and run heavy offenses. The Colts should always have a great offense. The 49ers should always be a WCO team. The Packers should always be a rich offensive team.

If I had it my way, different teams would stick to their identity all the time. It makes for great history. People's football philosophies and opinions would vary from region to region. It would make for more interesting football if it was played that way.

Me personally, I dislike what the Giants have become. We're too focused on the offensive side of the ball and the pass game. Our defense is soft, which is an embarassment to an organization always known for a punishing defense. We're not playing Giants football right now, and Id love to go back to our style of defense and smashmouth offense. Thats what we are. Thats what we do. Someone needs to send that memo to Coughlin.
Actually before the Parcells Era and dating even further back into history when the Giants were winning Championships pre-Super Bowl, they were actually probably more known for their offense.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:11 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense

Actually before the Parcells Era and dating even further back into history when the Giants were winning Championships pre-Super Bowl, they were actually probably more known for their offense.
Not really. In the 50s we were known for a punishing defense with Huff and a great run game with Gifford.

The 60s and 70s were miserable, and we tried building through offense and it failed miserably.

The time prior to the 50s we were balanced for the most part, but still had a strong emphasis on defense.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:32 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They'll hire Russ Grimm and keep the 3-4 defense.....I don't think they'll change it since they've had it forever, but if they hire Tomlin or Rivera they will.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:45 PM    (permalink
Woody56
Veteran

Woody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

trade Casey Hampton to the Jets
Woody56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:17 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody56
I second this. We'll give Pitt a 3rd... consider yourself lucky.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:54 PM    (permalink
THIZZorDIE
Veteran

THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver
If they go 4-3, they need a complete overhaul of their front seven. In my opinion, that would be stupid.
Porter doesnt go anywhere. Farrior? Nowhere. DT would need a change, but complete overhaul? Hampton could still do his thing and hold blocks, but overall I agree in that they should not change. They need little work and health to be among the best, not a clean slate.
THIZZorDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:22 AM    (permalink
NFLBOY
Rookie

NFLBOY hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomp
Quote:
Dream on. Hampton is worth a 1st and 2nd and nothing less.
NFLBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:46 PM    (permalink
TIP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by THIZZorDIE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver
Porter doesnt go anywhere. Farrior? Nowhere. DT would need a change, but complete overhaul? Hampton could still do his thing and hold blocks, but overall I agree in that they should not change. They need little work and health to be among the best, not a clean slate.
Aaron smith and Brett Kiesel couldn't be 4-3 DEs...Smith made the probowl last year as a 3-4 DE, we'd have to prolly get rid of him

Props to Darnik

Quote:

She was a woman.
^^^^^^
OMFG LMAO
Old 01-17-2007, 12:46 PM    (permalink
TIP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomp
Quote:

For the best 3-4 NT? :? You'd be lucky if we even gave him to you, and nothing less than a second rounder...should be a 1st round pick

Props to Darnik

Quote:

She was a woman.
^^^^^^
OMFG LMAO
Old 01-17-2007, 02:48 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't you think you Tomlin and Rivera are dumb enough to break up something that won a super bowl a year ago.

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote