Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:50 PM    (permalink
TerribleEd
Rookie

TerribleEd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Reactions after Tomlin's second interview

If Mike Tomlin carried himself with as much poise during yesterday's second interview as he did with reporters, then he absolutely wowwed the Steelers.

Steeler fan websites today are abuzz with excitement about the guy, and now Im not the only one talking about a switch to the cover-2.

In reading some of the recent posts, I'd like to suggest Brett Keisel could perhaps play 4-3 DE, a la Justin Smith of the Bengals (who is also bigger than your average 4-3 DE, but I agree that Aaron Smith could not. Now if you Jet fans want to improve that front-3 for a third rounder, then Aaron Smith could be your guy. He is a pro-bowler, after all.
TerribleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:18 AM    (permalink
richdg
Veteran

richdg hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This hole thread is just silly. Let me count the ways.
1. A Cover 2 D can be played with either a 3-4 or a 4-3 front. All a cover 2 is, 2 deep S's each covering half the feild. Guess what, we already use it from time to time. The only player it would effect is Troy. He would be back off the LOS more often.
2. We don't know who the coach is, so we don't know what is going to change/stay the same.
3. A. Smith can play DE in a 4-3. In fact he can be one of the best at it. He is used to playing against double teams. Yet he is both a run stuffer and a pass rusher. Why would that change? If will not. Same with Keisel. If the Steelers were to switch t a 4-3, the position they need the most help is DT. We only have one on the team. Hampton can play DT. He would be used the same way he is now. In on running downs out on passing downs.
richdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:15 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

(CB - McFadden) (FS - Clark) (SS - Polamalu) (CB - Taylor)
(OLB - ?) (ILB - Farrior) (OLB - Foote)
(DE - Haggins) (DT - Smith) (NT - Hampton) (DE - Porter)
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:38 PM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

If they were to turn to the 4-3, i'd go with Okoye.

I think Hampton would still be a decent player in the 4-3, but the only player behind him is Chris Hoke, and I don't think they could go into the 07 season with him starting.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:52 PM    (permalink
TIP
Veteran

TIP hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Re: Reactions after Tomlin's second interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleEd
If Mike Tomlin carried himself with as much poise during yesterday's second interview as he did with reporters, then he absolutely wowwed the Steelers.

Steeler fan websites today are abuzz with excitement about the guy, and now Im not the only one talking about a switch to the cover-2.

In reading some of the recent posts, I'd like to suggest Brett Keisel could perhaps play 4-3 DE, a la Justin Smith of the Bengals (who is also bigger than your average 4-3 DE, but I agree that Aaron Smith could not. Now if you Jet fans want to improve that front-3 for a third rounder, then Aaron Smith could be your guy. He is a pro-bowler, after all.
Well, kiss that goodbye...looks like Grimm is getting the job after a 6 hour second interview today...why would you want to switch to a cover two, that be terrible.

Props to Darnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
Why couldn't Helen Keller drive?

She was a woman.
^^^^^^
OMFG LMAO
TIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:25 AM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richdg
This hole thread is just silly. Let me count the ways.
1. A Cover 2 D can be played with either a 3-4 or a 4-3 front. All a cover 2 is, 2 deep S's each covering half the feild. Guess what, we already use it from time to time. The only player it would effect is Troy. He would be back off the LOS more often.
In this case it is not the regular cover 2 being talked about, but rather the Tampa 2, which is absolutely incompatible with a 3-4 defense.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:22 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Russ Grimm is the favorite for the job, so it looks like they'll be staying with the 3-4.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:52 PM    (permalink
richdg
Veteran

richdg hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

In a Tampa 2. you drop the MLB deep so you really have a 3 deep coverage. We have 2 ILB's. One can, and we have already done it. This is a non issue. As for the guy who had the line up, that would be stupid. Keisel and Smith would be the DE's and Porter/Haggans would compete for the other OLB spot.
richdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:07 PM    (permalink
TerribleEd
Rookie

TerribleEd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Oh yeah, the 4-3's coming....

I can't wait for Tomlin's first draft!!!
TerribleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:09 PM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i really hope that with tomlin coming in, some of the 3-4 personnel is waived or traded so that the niners can get their hands on some top 3-4 talent such as casey hampton
Old 01-20-2007, 11:15 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt Okoye reaches the Steelers' pick.

Little copy/paste job . . .

Code:
Proposed 4-3/ Cover 2 iteration of the Steelers

RDE   Joey Porter        WLB   Cato June*         RCB   Bryant McFadden
RDT   Casey Hampton      MLB   James Farrior      FS    Anthony Smith
LDT   Aaron Smith        SLB   Larry Foote        SS    Troy Polamalu
LDE   Brett Keisel                                LCB   Ike Taylor

*Signed in 2007 Free Agency.
June could excel with the Steelers, thanks to big Casey Hampton in front of him occupying blockers, and would easily be the fastest player in the front seven. He'd also provide years' worth of experience in the scheme for the transitioning Steelers.

The team would have to draft a future RDE, MLB, and 3-tech tackle - all premier positions, which is no easy task - by 2008. They have a good pickings of all 3 in this year's 1st round, to start.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:55 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend
(CB - McFadden) (FS - Clark) (SS - Polamalu) (CB - Taylor)
(OLB - ?) (ILB - Farrior) (OLB - Foote)
(DE - Haggins) (DT - Smith) (NT - Hampton) (DE - Porter)

i like that but id switch clark with smith
and i would switch haggans with harrison
i think if we do switch to a 4-3 porter will excell in it since he did play de in college
and i do think he is fast enough for that
harrison is a beast and would excell in ne scheme we put him in
taylor is a big corner who could play well in here
and mcfadden is physical
smith is gonna be good and could become a STUD
the other olb i would try to get beason in the second round
or earl everett
Hines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:38 AM    (permalink
Veteran

255979119 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Your 1 year off a SuperBowl and the only reason your not in the playoffs is because your QB threw too many picks...

Your defense consistantly finishes in the top 10 every year yet you decide to switch out of this beastly 3-4 that scares me more than any other team?(aside from your horrid corners of course)
255979119 is offline   Reply With Quote