Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

The person that made this needs to tell the readers how he determined these rankings.

In my opinion (I am making this up) it should be an average of pass protection (sacks allowed), Yards per carry (average all RB's), and potential (this is where an opinion must be shown and defended).

Now when I say average I do not mean a mathematical combination/equation of the variables above but rather an average of how well a line does all of the things above. (potential being opinion though)

example. (I am making these numbers up for the sake of argument)
The Jets' RB's average 5.0 yards per carry. They have allowed 50 sacks on the year and the average age of the line is 32.

The Raiders RB's average 4.0 yards per carry. They have allowed 45 sacks on the year and the average age of the line is 26.

Who would you pick? You see the Raiders line will be better but the Jets' line is currently better. Most people will take the YPC because a full yard more is > than 5 sacks on the year but you don't know how many times each team carried the ball so it is all ****** up.
Now this pseudo system I am trying to create is too subjective to be correct but it is a start. Mainly because there are too many variables that determine statistics such as sacks. Jamarcus Russell will undoubtedly get sacked more than Jeff Garcia no matter what line each player has. The YPC stat is a little harder to determine.

Honestly. it is all opinion. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady can make bad lines look at least average and Byron Leftwich can make a good line look bad. There are too many variables to concretely say that one line is better than another. You must remember, A talented line can be worse than a not talented line. A line that "gels" will always perform better.

(If this post seems convoluted, its because I am still ****** up on amphetamines and haven't slept in two days.) :)

Last edited by Bruce Banner : 06-19-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Watchman
Veteran

Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.

The rankings are open to interpretation and debate, but the author's assessment of the Bucs O-line seems pretty accurate - a lot of potential on the interior, some questions at the T positions, run blocking will be their strength.

The Bucs O-line has been so bad for so long that it is refreshing to actually have some guys on the team that you can be optimistic about.

My Grandfather
Watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
The rankings are open to interpretation and debate, but the author's assessment of the Bucs O-line seems pretty accurate - a lot of potential on the interior, some questions at the T positions, run blocking will be their strength.

The Bucs O-line has been so bad for so long that it is refreshing to actually have some guys on the team that you can be optimistic about.
The Bucs o-line can plow for the tailbacks but they are always lacking in pass protection. Gruden's demand for a semi-mobile QB can disguise that most of the time though.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:43 PM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Jag View Post
Is it just me, or did the they POINTEDLY ignore the Super Bowl when rating the Patriots?
The Pats oline IS dominant against mediocre pass rushers.
TheGreatEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:53 PM    (permalink
no love
Veteran

no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.

Meh. I hate when these guys talk about things they don't even know about. It's kind of obvious that the writer has no idea who on the team plays what positions so he just talks about Larry and Staley.

The fact that the writer says Chilo Rachal is being tried at RT shows how little he knows about the situation. Sure Chilo was tried at RT... for two practices.

It's not a bad ranking for the 49ers. But sometimes they should just write some vague answers that doesn't totally blow their cover, that they actually looked at the ESPN depth chart and made their rankings based on name recognition.
no love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:16 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Titans at #17 is something that I disagree with, but I can understand it.

From the outside looking it, you see that the OL lost its longtime mainstay at RG in Benji Olsen. Add in that starting LG Jacob Bell left via FA and another year to an already old Kevin Mawae, and it seems like it could be a very different OL in '08-'09. The OT's are the same and they're very young and I disagree greatly with his evaluation of them. I already think that Roos and Stewart are already in the upper teirs at their positions.

From the inside looking out, you know that both Olsen, Bell, and Mawae missed games last year due to injury, so the guys behind them saw ample playing time. C/G Eugene Amano has been groomed to take over the Center position for over the past 3 seasons, and is big for a Center so he can play Guard well. T/G Daniel Loper was drafted with Roos and Stewart and knows the system, but he also played in Olsen's vacancy last year at RG and played surprisingly well. G/C Leroy Harris was only drafted last year, but was drafted with the intention to start on the OL whether at Guard or Center. Jake Scott cost way cheaper than Bell, and will probably still produce at the same level. Plus, Mike Munchak is one of the best OL coaches in the league, so I have every confidence in next year's group.

Bottom line is that as long as the Titans have their bookend OT's, they'll be fine on the interior. Keep in mind that during the Titans/Chargers playoff game last year, Eugene Amano started at Center and Daniel Loper started at RG.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:32 PM    (permalink
GermanSaint
Veteran

GermanSaint hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

saints too high , especially in front of the eagles .... its just isnīt true ... i would love to have phillies line , blocking for brees and deuce
Old 06-19-2008, 05:40 PM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSaint View Post
saints too high , especially in front of the eagles .... its just isnīt true ... i would love to have phillies line , blocking for brees and deuce
I <3 U!! :D (no ****)
eaglesfan_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:10 PM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
I think that injuries are factored into this ranking. Jansen has been hurt consistently throughout his career and with the chance that Samuels (he got hurt last year too right?) could get hurt again, it brings a higher likelihood that the reserves would come in, thus bringing down the rating.

...Well that's at least what I assume is going on here.

Samules was the only one that didnt miss any time last year and Jansen has been trash for the last few seasons and should be replaced by Heyer sometime this season. I still cant see us being ranked 23 though.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:23 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
ugh. Way too much emphasis has been placed on that one game. Being the biggest game and the biggest stage, it's understandable to me that the phenomenal game played by the Giants D somehow gets misinterpreted as "the Pats o-line sucks," but it's a very foolish sentiment. Frankly, the noise many of ESPN's "experts" was the usual drivel spewed forth on that "network" - ya'know, all that crap about how the Pats should take Albert b/c they needed soooo much help at O-line? Uh-huh, this is the same team that gave up very few sacks while breaking some of the most heralded passing records, while winning 18 games straight, right?? But I digress . . .

Vikes & Jets O-line are much too high, Bills too low. Also, I totally agree w/the previous call of the Colts being too high - though this article at least makes it a point to mention how much easier Manning makes it on the line.

As far as ESPN is concerned - see sig. Gotta love Tom Terrific!
You can't overemphasize that game... but you can't just ignore it either, like they did in these ratings.
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:29 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
You can't overemphasize that game... but you can't just ignore it either, like they did in these ratings.
Include that game and they still have the best line.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Hwoarang
Veteran

Hwoarang is a cocksman.Hwoarang is a cocksman.Hwoarang is a cocksman.

Saints with some top 10 love.
Hwoarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:34 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lol, i love how they say that Marc Colombo is the weak link.. Kyle Kosier is the weak link of that line, and anyone who knows football and actually watches them play knows that.

Marc Colombo plays at near Pro Bowl caliber. Still, we do have one of the best lines in football. Just need to work a little on the run blocking.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:52 AM    (permalink
SaintsMan
Veteran

SaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSaint View Post
As long as we can keep Jammal Brown and Jahri Evans. Jonathan Goodwin is good, but Nesbit and Stinchcomb are average at best.
SaintsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:07 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Colts and the Patriots have better overall O-lines than the Vikings and should be higher than them.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:12 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
I think the Colts and the Patriots have better overall O-lines than the Vikings and should be higher than them.
I completely agree. With ease.
They have nothing to prove (well...SB).
Old 06-20-2008, 01:45 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
The Vikings have three guys that are All-Pro type. They're not at all overrated.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:22 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What did you read (or not read) that lead you to the conclusion that game was ignored?

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:40 PM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
The Vikings have three guys that are All-Pro type. They're not at all overrated.
The day Bryant McKinnie is an all-pro is the day i...iīm honestly not sure how to finish that sentence.
7-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:57 PM    (permalink
JetMan
Rookie

JetMan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Hey Saints fans, it says that jonathan goodwin is going to be your new center and if he is the same recast that played for the jets, then good luck.

that guy stinks. for your sake, you better hope he has improved big time or you might be looking at charles bentley at some point. good luck.

as to the jets ranking, 13 is way too high/low. they must have been a bottom 3 line last year and just because they added fanaca is no reason for such optimism. i didn't really like the woody signing and now we have 2/5's of our line playing together for the first time. that alone is going to take time and we also added a new coach so basically they are all starting over.

i would rank them no higher/lower than 20 right now but by week 10 they could be vastly improved. or fergusion will lose his weight again and we will be mediocre.
JetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:00 PM    (permalink
JetMan
Rookie

JetMan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-11 View Post
The day Bryant McKinnie is an all-pro is the day i...iīm honestly not sure how to finish that sentence.
i become a kwikimart......

come on dude.
JetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:31 PM    (permalink
BufFan71
Pro Bowler

BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

buffalo should be way higher

Peters-Docker-Fowler-Butler-Walker
they only gave up like 25sacks

its not like other teams have more potential either
Peters- 26
Dockery- 27
Fowler (who will be replaced next year)-29
Butler-24
walker-28

our offensive line is still young, and (also the heaviest in the NFL) so teams like Miami should not be ahead of us because of Jake Long

because we have the best LT in the NFL right now