Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 06-30-2008, 10:30 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Best Offseason Move?

The three I see as the big ones:

1. Letting Justin Smith walk and signing Antwan Odom at DE. Provided us a better pass rusher along with a lesser contract.

2. Signing Domata Peko long term. I was dreading this deal not getting done, he would've got big money in free agency and he's obviously a position of huge need for us. Has a big motor and really the contract wasn't bad... We'll especially be saying this in a few years if he continues to improve and the contracts get more outrageous.

3. Not trading Chad. Now, don't get me wrong I wouldn't shed a tear if he left however this sent a VERY strong message to everyone on the team... Don't complain about your contract, it's not going to get you anywhere. Now here we have Chad slithering his way back into favor. Admittedly losing him would've hurt pretty bad despite the good deal the Redskins threw our way.

In my opinion, not trading Chad was the best. This impacted every player on the team and one of the biggest problems we have had lately is players worrying about contracts instead of just playing football. Not to mention he's such a prominent figure on the team.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:44 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hard for me to pick one because they all seem like good moves right now. The only move I see that is pretty "fail-safe" is signing Peko long term. I hold him in a pretty high regard(as do most, it seems) and keeping him around is good because he's worth the money we paid him and I still expect him to continue to develop into a Pro Bowl caliber type player.

Talk to me in November regarding the other two.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:51 AM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

best off-season move...not listening to the experts and trading up to get Ellis. It would have cost us way too much and we wouldn't have gotten the future help we needed.
it would have likely cost our first, and our other early pics (Simms, Simpson, Caldwell) which would have left us bone dry at other positions of need.
we get ellis then what? nothing until round three.
plus the trade would have been to Baltimore a division rival correct? so lets help them out?
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:42 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

BengalMedic hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'll start with NOT resigning some players. Letting Madieu, Miller, and Justin walk were all no issue by me. I still would have liked to keep Landon, but you can't always get it your way. We were able to reload at those positions at a less cost with the combo of White and Nuke, Rivers, and Odom.

The Peko extension was huge in such a position of need. Who do we have at that position after Peko and Thornton ?? Two rookies and unknowns... This was almost a no brainer and glad it got done.

I'll agree that sending the message to the players over the Chad issue was a good move by the organization. I still wouldn't mind seeing him moved after this season if he pulls this sh*t again. All I can do is say, I hope he helps the TEAM win this year.

As for NOT getting Ellis, I'll hold judgement. The trade would have been with New England not the Ravens and the Saints swapped their 1st and gave up a third to move up. That move was MORE than doable by the Bengals, having 2 3rd rounders. The thing is, Rivers was a definite need, but the middle of the line has been a bigger issue since, well, FOREVER. I just think DT was far to big a need to just sit back and watch other teams be more aggressive.

To answer the question of BEST offseason move ?? Easy... Two names...
#1. Mike Zimmer- Defensive Coordinator
#2. Jeff FitzGerald- Linebackers Coach

God knows we needed a change at the coordinator position and could we really do any worse than an anual bottom feeder ?? Give me the Baltimore linebacking coach anyday of the week. He has been able to coach up some very good players in Baltimore and knows their scheme. Benefits that will be huge for our defense. If we have a turnaround on the defense this season, you need not look any further than these two moves...

Last edited by BengalMedic : 07-01-2008 at 07:45 AM.
BengalMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:00 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can't believe I didn't mention canning Breshnahan.

I think it's too early to say on not trading up for Ellis. I could've gone either way. Obviously we need Rivers bad but also could've used Ellis even more badly and it's hard to get impact DT's unless you pick that early.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In that same breath, I didnt see a Rd 2 LB that could make an impact and be a leader which is something Rivers could be.
I think that is underestimated. We didnt have a defensive leader on our team. A DT usually isnt that guy. Rivers will be that guy for us. A leader and a play maker is better than just a play maker. Remember we got a potential first-second round talent in Shirley in rd 5. Lets hope he pans out ;)
I didnt see a OLB in the later rounds that could be to us what Rivers will be.
I certainly wouldnt have complained had we got Ellis but looking at what we got with our picks now, I cant say I regret not moving to get him.
I think that Simms/Caldwell in rd 3 could both prove to be very valuable to us.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:35 PM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

Couldn't agree more Bengals78 and will just add that going into the draft no one knew how it was going to shake out obviously. If our youngsters actually pan out the way I would like them to, then the Rivers pick was a no brainer. That being said, I think I would be more comfortable right now with having a playmaker at DT and a 3rd round LB to bring up "hoping" it worked out. I am still happy with Rivers though and hope he makes the impact we so desperately need him to. Anything less than "better than expected" from Rivers, will not help this defense.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:00 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

One rookie alone could not help this defense. But the whole lot of the ones we got, (Rivers, Simms, Shirley and Lynch on the ST) will.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:14 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rivers has the ability to instantly help this defense by himself. He could have an Odell Thurmanlike impact.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:44 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

True. I think his leadership will be what helps the defense the most.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 07-02-2008, 07:13 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

I think the combination of the new players (Rivers, Sims, and Shirley) coupled with the new defensive coaches will have a positive impact on the defense. Question is, when ?? Hopefully we will be able to see some of that this season, but we all know there are going to be growing pains.

I can't remember the last time I could say I was interested in seeing what the defense was going to do this year. Going into '05 I was looking at it, but I honestly believe we have a younger, more athletic defense now and am (dare I say) excited about what this season may bring defensively...
Old 07-02-2008, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well we changed 2 huge players on our front seven, and we've developed 2-3 guys in our secondary. I don't know if Ndukwe will start, but if leon and JJ turn out to be the players Marvin thinks they are, our defense will have changed so much.

I'll tell you this though, I'm extremely excited about our offense. This may be a bold prediction, but I'm thinking we may return to that 05' type offense. Rudi / perry is such a good two back-tandem, if they're both healthy and good to go I can't see us having the same rushing problems we had last year - and in the passing game, we kept chad we still got TJ, added Utecht (who I -really- like, I think he could be a top AFC TE behind Gonzo / Gates / KW / Heap) and we picked Caldwell in the draft who apparently is already good enough to play the slot for us.

At worse I think we'll get our explosive offense that can actually convert third downs and have a defense that can get a few turn overs.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:02 PM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

I'm liking the look of our offense as well. Hopefully Guychick can show some of the things that Marvin has raved on and on about. I guess we have no other choice than to hope his development is where it needs to be and he just needed the time to progress. If Guychick gets pushed around this year and can't hold his own, that project needs to come to an end.

I can't wait to see the offense come out and stun some defenses this year !!! You said it, with a healthy Rudi and Perry and the WR corps with Utetch added will be something for defenses to really plan for.

I've been saying it for a while now. We don't need to have the best defense in the league with this offense. We just need better than average. Give me a defense in the 10-15 range and we not only win the Division, we make a run...
Old 07-02-2008, 07:11 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

If Guycheck doesnt pan out, Alex Mack C Cal is who we should draft.
STUD