Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:00 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like this pickup, but I think it's an odd move because I don't see the Redskins breaking through as true contenders for at least another season or two, aka when Taylor is gone.

He's a ringseeker being used as a stopgap. Not quite a perfect fit, although I think he'll still put up good numbers and help that secondary develop. There's still a lot of young, untapped talent in the Redskins back end with Rogers and Landry and hopefully Taylor can make their transition into a unit to be reckoned with a little easier.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Clinton Portis: Tweaks Ankle

Bad luck.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:34 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Robert Mathis plays LDE and is listed at 245. Granted he's closer to the ground being 6' 1.5", as opposed to the much taller Taylor at around 6' 6".
yes, but the scheme Taylor and Mathis play under is different. Mathis is in a cover 2 where they want quick players to cover gaps. While Taylor is in a 4-3 and has to cover his side, alone.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:53 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
Maybe we should just not practice.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:55 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Who do the skins have playing RE, and why don't they line him up over there where most of the elite pass-rushers are? I thought they were pretty think at DE in general after injuries so I don't understand putting him on the left.
Andre Carter is a pro bowl level end.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:34 PM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well now he has his yearly excuse for why he cant play in preseason
Old 07-22-2008, 05:29 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ST View Post
Well now he has his yearly excuse for why he cant play in preseason
Yeah, he does this every year.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redsk....html#comments

He has been confirmed to participate in the PM practice though, so it's a non issue.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:04 PM    (permalink
no love
Veteran

no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
No he's not. He is not better than any of the following - Osi Umenyiora, Jared Allen, Aaron Kampman, Trent Cole, Patrick Kearney and Will Smith. Next year you can probably add Justin Tuck to that list and Dockett if the Cardinals go full time 3-4.

Don't get enamored with the fact that he had a 10 sack season last year. He had one of those in SF and followed that season with 3 underwhelming seasons. He is a middle of the pack talent.
no love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Osi Umenyiora
Justin Tuck
Trent Cole
Aaron Kampman
Alewale Ogunleye
Alex Brown
Jared Allen
John Abraham
Julius Peppers
Will Smith
Patrick Kerney

Those names just off the top of my head, are all better than Andre Carter...
Old 07-22-2008, 06:23 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

When I say pro bowl level end I mean one of the better DE's, above average starter, which he is, he is good against the run, tremendous tracking down runners, and has way more pressures than his sack total of 10.5 would leave you to believe. And 5 of his sacks resulted in turnovers. I think his name has every right to be mentioned in the top 10 or so DE's in the NFC.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:32 PM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.

I agree, top 10 for Carter. BBD I think your stretching it a little bit, Alex Brown?
Mine:

1. Jared Allen
2. Julius Peppers
3. Trent Cole
4. Osi
5. Jason Taylor
6. Will Smith
7. Patrick Kerney
8. Aaron Kampman
9. Andre Carter
10. Justin Tuck

Last edited by eaglesfan_45 : 07-22-2008 at 07:38 PM.
eaglesfan_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:34 PM    (permalink
McBain
Veteran

McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan_45 View Post
I agree, top 10 for Carter. BBD I think your stretching it a little bit, Alex Brown?
Mine:

1. Jared Allen
2. Julius Peppers
3. Trent Cole
4. Osi
5. Jason Taylor
6. Will Smith
7. Patrick Kerney
8. Andre Carter
9. Justin Tuck
10. John Abraham
the lack of aaron kampman is embarrassing.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:37 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

and Ogunleye. I wouldnt take Justin Tuck over Abraham either.

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:38 PM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain View Post
the lack of aaron kampman is embarrassing.
whoops :/ gotta fix that
eaglesfan_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:29 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Heres the pros and cons of Taylor being in washington.

Pro:
Experience - He's seen it all, he's done it all, there's not a formation or a call that an offense can make that he hasn't seen before.
Technique - Probably within the top 3 in the NFL of technique, due to his size and stature his technique has lead to masterful performances for years, there's no reason this shouldn't continue.
Leadership - He'll probably help his team mates become better by calming them in big situations and firing them up when need be.
Motor - He's known for his high motor, meaning when the opposition is tired, he'll keep coming and make plays.

Cons
Age - he's getting up there in years and is starting to slow down.
New system - He's been in miami his entire career and although he's probably played in a system similar to the one in Washington there is still going to be an adjustment.
Division - New York Giants, Philly Eagles, Dallas Cowboys, three teams who've shown their offensive lines are big, mean and strong. That's 6 games against talented offensive lines he's not faced. i.e. In the AFC he knew a lot of opponent's tendencies, here he'll be seeing things he's not used to.
Size - He's really an over sized linebacker and although his technique and his motor and his experience will be enough to overcome this issue most of the time its the some of the time that can lead to blown plays.

I believe you'll see an upswing in the pass defense of the Redskins and that there will be some close games they'll win on defense because of a game changing play by Taylor or one of his linemates. I also think that teams will try to pound the ball at the undersized taylor using double teams to tire him out and pop some decent gains.

The problem with having a team built to stop the pass which imo Pass vs Run this line is probably 60 / 40 split, is that you need to force your opposition to pass. Which may not be the case considering there's a young QB, fresh faces on offense, a new system and a new HC. That is, no points on the board = no pressure to pass the ball.

imo Taylor's success hinders on what the team around him does, moreso than what he brings to the table.

Last edited by BlindSite : 07-22-2008 at 08:31 PM.
BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Redskins' top draft pick Thomas hurt at practice

Another one bites the dust.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
auch.. a hamstring? That blows.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:06 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

If Devin Thomas or Chris Wilson miss any regular season time that would be a huge blow, hopefully it is just a hamstring pull, I say we don't practice, it is doing more harm that good. This is what happens after those years under Gibbs when training camp was basically just standing around and joking around.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:17 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If Devin Thomas or Chris Wilson miss any regular season time that would be a huge blow, hopefully it is just a hamstring pull, I say we don't practice, it is doing more harm that good. This is what happens after those years under Gibbs when training camp was basically just standing around and joking around.
the thing about practice is it makes perfect.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:51 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
the thing about practice is it makes perfect.
But, no one is perfect, so why practice?