Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 08-25-2008, 09:23 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
the NCAA football season is just around the corner, i think we as falcons fans should look tightly at WR, TE, OL, DL (esp DT) this season.
why? our WR's seem to actually be doing their job so far in the preseason.,

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:29 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
really? you think we need to take a #2 WR with our first pick? that makes no sense financially or even addressing our needs. if we need to get Matt a weapon it's at TE, not WR. our WR's are good for us and Jenkins might even light it up and be the possession #2 we need. with Laurent and Douglas as slot and #4, we would have a very formidable WR group

Why not? It's not like having 2 great wide outs has been unkind to the likes of Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning, etc. Especially since Crabtree is the ideal WR for Ryan. And I don't think we are looking for playmaking TE. We passed on one in the draft, until Zinger who is a pure blocking TE. Hartsock is the same way. Travis Beckham is probably the best TE coming out, and he's nothing special as a blocker. If he's purely a receiving threat, it really doesn't matter if we go for a Crabtree or him.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:30 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jenkins is gone after this year. We will take a WR in the first few (three or so) rounds.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:37 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Jenkins is gone after this year. We will take a WR in the first few (three or so) rounds.
why wouldn't we just re-sing Jenkins who will likely be cheap.

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 08-25-2008, 09:52 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Because he drops balls for interceptions and will be overpayed after back to back 50 catch seasons.

Just my opinion.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:53 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what would be our biggest needs though 1. DT, 2. TE, 3. WR?

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:17 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. DT
2. DB
3. OL
4. TE
5. DE

Thats how I see it right now. DT is way above the others though.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:05 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Good list, although I may seperate DB into CB and S, we need both, and may sneak in WR.

We still have a lot of needs.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:22 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
1. DT
2. DB
3. OL
4. TE
5. DE

Thats how I see it right now. DT is way above the others though.

DE is not a need. Abe is good for a few more years. Cupcake boy's contract makes him basically unmovable, and I doubt we'd send him to the bench. Maybe some depth, but certainly not a starter.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:25 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

We need another pass rusher, starter or situational.

I wouldn't mind a Warren Sapp at defensive tackle, either.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:32 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
We need another pass rusher, starter or situational.

I wouldn't mind a Warren Sapp at defensive tackle, either.

I agree completely. It really depends on Mike Smith. If he feels confident in moving Zero Penetration to DT full time, I'd be all over another pass rushing end. Or getting a DT like that. However, I don't think he will comitt to moving Jamaal. So, I think it would rule it out for our top pick. As for DT, the top gun looks like Fili Moala, and I'm not in love with him.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:58 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't know about Moala, the thing everyone discounts in this is that Babs has never gotten to start full time, he led the NFL DTs in TFL...too many people over look that. Just like Rod Coleman used to know how to get into the backfield and terrorize QBs, we have ourselves a clone...except one that isn't crazy off the field. We also have Trey Lewis, I know he may never be the same...but then again he may be as well. So, I think we need to wait it out before we decide what our big needs are.

Personally I think Safety is going to be a position we either really need or really don't. If Coleman plays how he used to play, and if Decoud or Stone are erady to step up, there's no telling. I love the idea of Taylor Mays, Kam Chancellor, or Myron Rolle roving our secondary.

The way Chevis has played so far in the preseason makes me think we're going to have fine depth there. Grimes and Houston are boom or bust duo as well. But I'm sure that Grimes is going to be fine at this point. Chevis looks to be just fine. So, the CB 'need' is going to be based on Houston imo. If he steps up into the gap as well. Then the CB we will have need for, is the veteran type.

DT we'll need depth at for sure, but I'm thinking it will need to be more of a NT than pass rushing UT style DT.

DE will depend on Beirman and Anderson.

LB is going to need depth, because Brooking isn't going to last forever.

I like Nicholas, but we need to build our depth.

Basically you can see the theme here, we need to wait and see, and not just think we already know what our biggest problems are going to be.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:29 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I agree completely. It really depends on Mike Smith. If he feels confident in moving Zero Penetration to DT full time, I'd be all over another pass rushing end. Or getting a DT like that. However, I don't think he will comitt to moving Jamaal. So, I think it would rule it out for our top pick. As for DT, the top gun looks like Fili Moala, and I'm not in love with him.
Moala is very overrated at this point.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:51 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
I don't know about Moala, the thing everyone discounts in this is that Babs has never gotten to start full time, he led the NFL DTs in TFL...too many people over look that. Just like Rod Coleman used to know how to get into the backfield and terrorize QBs, we have ourselves a clone...except one that isn't crazy off the field. We also have Trey Lewis, I know he may never be the same...but then again he may be as well. So, I think we need to wait it out before we decide what our big needs are.

Personally I think Safety is going to be a position we either really need or really don't. If Coleman plays how he used to play, and if Decoud or Stone are erady to step up, there's no telling. I love the idea of Taylor Mays, Kam Chancellor, or Myron Rolle roving our secondary.

The way Chevis has played so far in the preseason makes me think we're going to have fine depth there. Grimes and Houston are boom or bust duo as well. But I'm sure that Grimes is going to be fine at this point. Chevis looks to be just fine. So, the CB 'need' is going to be based on Houston imo. If he steps up into the gap as well. Then the CB we will have need for, is the veteran type.

DT we'll need depth at for sure, but I'm thinking it will need to be more of a NT than pass rushing UT style DT.

DE will depend on Beirman and Anderson.

LB is going to need depth, because Brooking isn't going to last forever.

I like Nicholas, but we need to build our depth.

Basically you can see the theme here, we need to wait and see, and not just think we already know what our biggest problems are going to be.
Basically, we dont have any needs, according to iloxy.

There are some glaring holes one defense for us, and I really want them filled. I forgot which year we had that terrible run defense, but god. That was disgusting. I wasnt even watching the games in real life. I used to watch gamecenter, and all it read was "Corey Dillon up the middle for 5 yards" every single time.

I want a dominant run defense. If we cannot stop the run, then theres no point. Teams will run all over us.

Babs is a good UT, and I think he will surprise some people. He played exceptionally well in limited situations last year and hopefully that can transfer over full time.

As for our top pick, no nose tackle has cemented themselves in yet, but we should definitely watch the college season for which guys will separate themselves from the pack with their gameplay. I bet it must have killed Mike Smith a tiny bit inside to see us pass on Glenn Dorsey. He will make that up, I guarantee it.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 08-26-2008, 11:01 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly it's not too early to dicuss what we will need in next years draft, we knew last year at this time we would be getting a QB, OT and MLB early.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 08-28-2008, 06:28 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

idk. I think Anderson could be a great UT if we got him to gain strength.

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 08-28-2008, 09:01 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
idk. I think Anderson could be a great UT if we got him to gain strength.

Unless he learns how to get past OL, he's not good... anywhere. I don't see him getting enough penetration to possibly be an effective UT.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:11 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Put him where ever you like, idc we got Kroy Biermann. That guy is a beast for real. He is very explosive and never gives up on a play. Doesnt take plays off.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 08-30-2008, 01:02 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

It's difficult to rate our needs at the present time - far harder than it was last year.

We definitely need to pick up a starting calibre DT, that is certain. Ideally we'd address that on the first day. However, depending on how Babs performs this year, and on how Trey Lewis rebounds from injury, one newcomer at DT may suffice.

I really don't see Anderson moving to UT full-time. I don't have a problem with him playing at LDE on run downs and moving to UT on passing downs.

I think that we can be reasonably comfortable with our position at safety. Coleman is a keeper, I'm sure of that, and I'm optimistic that either Stone or DeCoud will emerge as a decent-to-good starter opposite him. However, if we do get a chance at a stud safety - and I'm thinking Mays or Moore in the 1st, or Greene in the 2nd - then we might be tempted to pick them up, and keep Stone and DeCoud as quality backup.

On the O-line, we clearly need a C of the future. I'd love to see us pick up Mack if he lasts to the 2nd, but Unger and Luigs would also be good pickups.

Elsewhere on the O-line, I think that we will be looking to pick up an absolute road-grader at RT, probably in the 2nd or 3rd round, to really round off our run game.

I'm reasonably happy with our DE rotation at the moment, but we'll have to keep our eye out for Abraham's long-term replacement, depending on whether Biermann can replicate his PS form in the regular season.

I don't see any 1st day need at WR. We have our future top 3 set - White, Robinson and Douglas - and it may be that Jenkins also plays his way into a new contract. I'd expect us to look for a WR/PR in the 3rd or 4th, but that's it. Only if Crabtree is the far and away best value pick should we consider him.

Assuming that Grimes and Houston continue to play well, I don't see us drafting a CB in the first 4 rounds, if at all. We have a very young CB corps, and if we decide that it needs reinforcement, we are likely, IMO, to look to free agency.

As for TE, it's difficult to tell what Mularkey wants...
Old 08-30-2008, 01:15 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

My ideal draft would be to pick around #12, and take:

#1: William Moore S

The more cerebral player than Mays, and therefore better suited to Smith's Cover 2. I think that he'll have a great season, and really push himself up into these heights.

I'd love to take a DT in the 1st, but I'm just not sure I like any of them enough just yet.

(On a side note, how amazing would Landry be in this scheme? Damn Skins...)

#2: Vince Oghobasse DT

I actually think that he will push himself up into the first round, but I think he's a great fit (and I've noticed that I am not alone). Another very bright player.

#3. Sean Sester RT

Tough, consistent, 4 year starter. Plays LT for Purdue, but not particularly athletic. Couldn't be a better fit.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:29 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

I'm not so confident in Laurent Robinson, considering he is now behind a player who hasn't played since 2005 due to back to back ACL tears, Brian Finneran.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:43 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm not so confident in Laurent Robinson, considering he is now behind a player who hasn't played since 2005 due to back to back ACL tears, Brian Finneran.
Brian Finneran is amazing.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:36 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
1 word injuries...
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Im not confident in Laurent Robinson as well, he can run his routes and is very athletic but his hands looked pretty bad lately and i dont see any confidence in him. If a no. 2 WR doesnt step up for Matt Ryan i would love to see up draft Brian Robiskie, the son of our WR coach. He is ranked no. 2 by Scott Wright at that position for a senior.
When i played football, ironically the dad of our star WR was also his WR coach. His dad played at UGA and i know how hard he pushed him and is now getting great college offers, it would be nice to have Robiskie's son on the team.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 08-30-2008, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now that Stone was cut, I'm confident we need a big-play safety that can step in. I like Taylor Mays alot, he would be my number 1 guy. Hits like a linebacker, but runs like a corner. I also like Chancellor from VT, I saw him make some nice plays today, despite the VTech loss. I think Rolle is overrated by the Media, but underrated by this board, I still see him as a 2nd round pick, possibly sneaking into the 1st.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote