Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Old 09-01-2008, 11:04 AM    (permalink
Cribbs>Hester
Veteran

Cribbs>Hester needs more cowbell.

Haha well when you're right you're right. Nathan Bennett is already been wavied in favor of Scott Young who's been a reserve for Philadelphia the last three seasons. He has experience in the league and has played at a quality level. I like this pick up. Now for the love of God can we find someone to replace Paul Hubbard and Isaac Sowells.
Cribbs>Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:24 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm glad to see Travis Key and Steve Sanders on the Practice Squad, they were both very impressive young players in the preseason games. Well very impressive for scrub standards anyway. I hope we sign one of those veteran DBs who got cut soon and ditch either Lawson or Cousin.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Cribbs>Hester
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
I'm glad to see Travis Key and Steve Sanders on the Practice Squad, they were both very impressive young players in the preseason games. Well very impressive for scrub standards anyway. I hope we sign one of those veteran DBs who got cut soon and ditch either Lawson or Cousin.
I think for the time being we have to keep Lawson though. Cribbs has a high ankle sprain and Steptoe's shoulder is hurt. We have no one else with decent return skills other than McDonald and I don't know about you, but I don't want our starting corner returning kicks and punts, especially with our lack of depth at corner.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:05 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah, that's why I would consider Cousin instead of Lawson. It would be pretty bad if we had to resort to a 3rd string KR/PR though.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:41 AM    (permalink
Cribbs>Hester
Veteran

After all these years the injury bug still wont leave the Browns alone. Antwan Peek tore his patella tendon in practice on Wednesday. His season, and more likely than not career his over. Go figure, how many times have we said that since 1999?

The only good I see in this is that Alex Hall should get extended playing time. The coaches like him. We all knew he had the physical tools to be a great player. The coaches like his work ethic and quick learning abilities. Lets hope he can put it all together on the field and be a bookend for Kamerion Wimbley for a long time to come. Even if he can do that OLB just became our biggest need next offseason. We're going to need a #3 pass rusher badly even if Alex Hall does step up big time, and if he doesn't we're in an even worse situation and we're going to have to find Wimbley's bookend.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:07 PM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

here's a tidbit. looks like cribbs has a real good shot at playing sunday. yay!

same with Tucker. which is very good b/c he's much better at RG than anyone else.

actually the only two that are completely ruled out for sunday are Griffin and Rucker. Hadnot is doubtful. Pool is game time, but he's looking like a questionable.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:08 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

I hear Hadnot is definitely not gonna play even though they haven't said that out loud yet really. Pool probably won't play either. I think McKinney is gonna start at RG, not really a bad thing. yay for the OBR.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:11 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribbs>Hester View Post
After all these years the injury bug still wont leave the Browns alone. Antwan Peek tore his patella tendon in practice on Wednesday. His season, and more likely than not career his over. Go figure, how many times have we said that since 1999?

The only good I see in this is that Alex Hall should get extended playing time. The coaches like him. We all knew he had the physical tools to be a great player. The coaches like his work ethic and quick learning abilities. Lets hope he can put it all together on the field and be a bookend for Kamerion Wimbley for a long time to come. Even if he can do that OLB just became our biggest need next offseason. We're going to need a #3 pass rusher badly even if Alex Hall does step up big time, and if he doesn't we're in an even worse situation and we're going to have to find Wimbley's bookend.
With Willie retiring I think OLB was gonna be a huge need next year regardless. I don't think they expected Peek to be anything more than a 3rd down pass rusher. Looks like Alex Hall is the guy they're gonna try to develop as the 3rd down pass rusher for next year at least (hopefully this year too) and they're gonna try to sign/trade/draft a 2 or 3 down LOLB next year. I hope Orr and Hall get enough pass rush opposite KWimbley or else it's gonna be a long day for our DBs every week.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:58 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
With Willie retiring I think OLB was gonna be a huge need next year regardless. I don't think they expected Peek to be anything more than a 3rd down pass rusher. Looks like Alex Hall is the guy they're gonna try to develop as the 3rd down pass rusher for next year at least (hopefully this year too) and they're gonna try to sign/trade/draft a 2 or 3 down LOLB next year. I hope Orr and Hall get enough pass rush opposite KWimbley or else it's gonna be a long day for our DBs every week.
There is no doubt that we need another pass rusher from the OLB position.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:34 AM    (permalink
Cribbs>Hester
Veteran

Quote:

Its too early to tell, but there is no reason why Alex Hall can't become that 3 down linebacker we need opposite Wimbley. He played better against the run than he did rushing the passer in his two preseason starts and he has the skill set to cover guys as well. I wouldn't pencil him into our future plans as a future starter yet, but I wouldn't write him off just yet either.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:14 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

I mean that if Hall can't be the 3rd down pass rusher this year then at least they'll try to make him that next year. They need to bring in a guy to be the starter regardless of Peek. The only way they don't is if Hall has a monster year or if he's at least good enough to look like he can start next year and brings the pressure as a rookie.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:03 AM    (permalink
barry
Rookie

barry hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

hall seems to have the physical tools, but any more than chaun thompson? the point is that the physical tools are only part of the equation.

and they waived hubbard and signed sanders off the practice squad. there goes the 2009 5th round pick we gave up to draft hubbard.
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Cribbs>Hester
Veteran

Cleveland needs

1.) A Saftey who can actually cover
2.) A replacement for D'Qwell Jackson who can actually cover
3.) A Pass rushing OLB
4.) A center who's not a *****
5.) A right guard who's not a *****
6.) A wide reciever who's not too pansie to play a games he's being payed to plan
Old 09-07-2008, 06:32 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Dallas gets the Mulligan. We need to beat Pittsburgh next Sunday night when they come to town or else we ain't going to the postseason noway nohow. Crennel made Butch Davis look like Vince Lombardi as a gameday coach today. Braylon Edwards must have thought it was halloween b/c he was brickhands the first half and the invisible man the second half - not braylon edwards the pro bowl WR.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:31 PM    (permalink
Cribbs>Hester
Veteran

What does our cap situation look like this coming up offseason?

We have far too many needs to help this team with just 2 picks on the first day and only 4 overall.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:38 PM    (permalink
BrownsTown
All-Pro

BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Cleveland needs

1.) A Saftey who can actually cover
2.) A replacement for D'Qwell Jackson who can actually cover
3.) A Pass rushing OLB
4.) A center who's not a *****
5.) A right guard who's not a *****
6.) A wide reciever who's not too pansie to play a games he's being payed to plan
Jones can cover.

Dqwell's bad because he can't cover WRs?

Agreed

Hank Fraley is great.

They have like 50 just plug one in.

Don't know who you're referring to there.
BrownsTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Cribbs>Hester
Veteran

You don't just plug guards in an expect to win football games. It all starts in the trenches and a guard is part of that game. Hank Fraley is a far lard who's always getting knocked back, maybe he's not that bad, but compared to the other 4 he is pathetic...the obvious weak link.

D'Qwell was toasted by Jason Witten more than once as well. All of our inside linebackers were playing flat footed and slow as always. Neither of them can cover and I wouldn't expect Beau Bell who is labled a thumper to be able to cover very well either.

Sean Jones is always getting beat so don't give me that garbage. He got toasted in the opener last season too and the first preseason game this year just off the top of my head. Thats alright though I can let that slide because he is a in-the-box type anyway. It's Brodney Pool and Mike Adams I'd like to replace.

Donte Stallworth??? The guy is a walking injury...afraid to take a hit and has gator arms at the worst possible times. I have no idea why we signed him to such a decent contract in the first place.

Oh and we need to get faster up front. We have far and away the largest Dline in the league with Smith, Williams and Rogers all three well over average for their positions. Its no wonder we can't get pressure. Well hell come to think of it the entire defense is just plain slow for the NFL.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:55 PM    (permalink
BrownsTown
All-Pro

BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You don't just plug guards in an expect to win football games. It all starts in the trenches and a guard is part of that game. Hank Fraley is a far lard who's always getting knocked back, maybe he's not that bad, but compared to the other 4 he is pathetic...the obvious weak link.

D'Qwell was toasted by Jason Witten more than once as well. All of our inside linebackers were playing flat footed and slow as always. Neither of them can cover and I wouldn't expect Beau Bell who is labled a thumper to be able to cover very well either.

Sean Jones is always getting beat so don't give me that garbage. He got toasted in the opener last season too and the first preseason game this year just off the top of my head. Thats alright though I can let that slide because he is a in-the-box type anyway. It's Brodney Pool and Mike Adams I'd like to replace.

Donte Stallworth??? The guy is a walking injury...afraid to take a hit and has gator arms at the worst possible times. I have no idea why we signed him to such a decent contract in the first place.

Oh and we need to get faster up front. We have far and away the largest Dline in the league with Smith, Williams and Rogers all three well over average for their positions. Its no wonder we can't get pressure. Well hell come to think of it the entire defense is just plain slow for the NFL.
Someone needs to calm down. It's 1 game.
BrownsTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:12 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For me, it was pretty obvious that we need another real stud at OLB who can pressure the passer. Until we improve our pass rush, our defense just isn't going to be solid. Sure we could use some upgrades at some positions and another WR is a must but unless that pass rush improves, we aren't a playoff contender just yet.
Our offense had a real chance to be good today but when Edwards is dropping balls, we are always going to be in trouble. With Brady's injury and Manning not quite his old self, Dallas is probably the #1 team in the NFL so losing to them doesn't end our season.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:18 PM    (permalink
Cribbs>Hester
Veteran

1 game are you kidding me?

Our inside linebackers have been sucking since the day we drafted them.

Donte Stallworth has always been a huge pansie.

This defense has been slow as long as I could remember.

Sean Jones has never been a great coverage saftey.

I guess the RG thing it is just one game because it was Seth McKinney. I know Ryan Tucker and Rex Hadnot are both better. I still don't like McKinney or Fraley. We should start Tucker(RG) and Hadnot(C) when they're both healthy. Romeo is too loyal for that to ever happen though.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:27 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Theres a reason Stallworth can't stick with any team. He is always hurt.

Your career isn't very impressive when you have played on 4 teams in 4 years.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:13 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Jones is a field general so to speak and is great in the box and on passing plays in front of him. He's not the best in deep coverage or going towards the double team or against the tight end in coverage, but we can still be a great defense if we put pieces around Sean Jones, notably a ballhawking free safety. We have bigger fish to fry, Jones is a nice player.

Also regarding the center and right guard, that's not our strongest area on the team but our offensive line is not a question mark at all, it's one of our biggest strengths and even in yesterday's debacle they didn't play bad even with a couple mistakes (Thomas' false start and Fraley's bad snap). Tucker will solidify the spot for 2008 and in 2009 we'll either get a new guy or stick Hadnot/McKinney in there and move on.

Stallworth does worry me, not just his injuries but his tendency to not go 100% every down. We were supposed to have Stallworth and Jurevicius this year, right now we only have Stallworth some of the time. Not having JJ in there hurts Anderson's confidence big time.

Our linebackers are gonna be a headache all year....again. Andra Davis played well yesterday, Leon and D'Qwell and Kamerion did not. Willie played good for a 60 year old stiff veteran and is only a 1 or 2 down player this year. Savage is gonna have to give that unit a facelift next spring.

We have to beat Pittsburgh next sunday night at home, or else we aren't gonna do anything this year but disappoint and stay home in January.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:58 PM    (permalink
Cribbs>Hester
Veteran

Do we have enough money or any chance at signing Terrell Suggs at all? I'm sure he wouldn't mind coming back to the 34 defense in which he flurished any easily played his best football. Savage has that conection, and we need another pass rusher badly...preferably someone with proven abilities. I also think Baltimore's management really erked him the wrong way last offseason, so I don't know that he'll want to return.

Isn't it a possibility the salary cap will be no more after the 2010 season?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:39 AM    (permalink
JSimmsy21
Rookie

JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JSimmsy21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Do we have enough money or any chance at signing Terrell Suggs at all? I'm sure he wouldn't mind coming back to the 34 defense in which he flurished any easily played his best football. Savage has that conection, and we need another pass rusher badly...preferably someone with proven abilities. I also think Baltimore's management really erked him the wrong way last offseason, so I don't know that he'll want to return.

Isn't it a possibility the salary cap will be no more after the 2010 season?
our salary cap for next year should be in very good shape. remember a lot of Rogers and Anderson's money were front loaded.

there is a possibility of an uncapped year in 2010. there was another year back in the 90's that this happened, also. but the browns are in very good shape for that year as almost every single one of our starters are signed thru 2011 or later.

**Pittsburgh's schedule just got easier as Tom Brady is out for the year. this just makes Sunday nights game even more important. **

**i know someone that is going to be at the Pittsburgh/browns game. he sitting right i the middle of the dog pound in the fourth row. that d*ck. he'll be holding a poster that has brownie the elf stomping on the Pittsburgh logo.

Last edited by JSimmsy21 : 09-09-2008 at 10:43 AM.
JSimmsy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:40 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Our schedule looks harder now too with the Jets and Broncos looking good. And I know Pitt plays them as well but Philly on the road is gonna be a tough matchup too. Our offense needs to gel THIS week and our defense needs to improve with every game or else.