Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 09-12-2008, 11:41 AM    (permalink
Prince 561
Rookie

Prince 561 needs more cowbell.

Bud Light is no longer the best selling beer in the world...

Prince 561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
does anyone actually like ESBs?
Fuller's ESB is very good. It is funny that Sierra Nevada has an ESB but they call it their Early Spring Beer. Which isn't what an ESB normally is.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just picked up Avery Ale to the Chief. From what I have read on it, it is a DIPA. Avery says to open it on inauguration day 2009 to celebrate the changing of the presidency. I'll drink it tonight and if it is good (which I expect), I'll be up another one for January.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:48 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
does anyone actually like ESBs?
i do...

they're my excellent steak beers...

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:16 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I do don't mine them. I find myself guzzling down the Sierra Nevada for one reason, that really has nothing to do with the beer itself.

Can anyone guess why...?

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:28 PM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

it gets you drunk???
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:33 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Yeah, I do don't mine them. I find myself guzzling down the Sierra Nevada for one reason, that really has nothing to do with the beer itself.

Can anyone guess why...?
It tastes gross and i'd like another beer?

(i hate the way SN expresses cascade hops. makes me sick)

Old 09-12-2008, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

SN is disgusting. On that note, I just got back from buying my hurricane prep: two six-packs of Lone Star Light tallboys for the sum total of $9.73

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Aftermath
Veteran

Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.

I love me some Sapporo.

Sig by yours truly.
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:44 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont like sapporo. All the sushi bars here serve it and it's not good.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Any body else hear of this MGD 64? Sounds like it wouldn't taste good or like it wouldnt have any alcohol in it. The Miller site says it's 3.0% ABV which is pretty weak.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:11 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
tell me about a few that don't suck. every single one i've had was, at best, boring.

see, this is one i thought was fairly boring. i dunno.
Fullers ESB is boring... lemme go through my collection of bottles and i'll get back to you on that one...

Old 09-13-2008, 01:09 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
It tastes gross and i'd like another beer?

(i hate the way SN expresses cascade hops. makes me sick)
I'm not the biggest fan on it either.

Hint the brewing location has something to do with it

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:00 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

tell me about a few that don't suck. every single one i've had was, at best, boring.

i know you dislike Red Hook, but i love their ESB. but,you're right. there are very few good ones out there. i liked Fuller's when i had it.
Lakefront makes an Organic ESB...but, it's sub par.
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:04 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i'd rather drink kirin, although sapporo seems to do better on sake bombs.

I think Sapporo controls my brain. every time i go out for sushi i tell myself; "self, Sapporo isn't that good. there's no reason to spend $6 on a 22 oz bottle of it. just have a water. beer and sushi isn't a great combo anyway." but, everytime, i end up ordering a Sapporo, and i'm damn near surprised when the waiter brings it to me.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:27 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haven't tried a ton of ESB's, but my favorite is Alesmith Anvil. Very balanced and complex flavor profile. Along with the bright, highly aromatic floral and fruity hop presence, I picked up hints of molasses, wood, vanilla, earth, orange honey, and obviously the great house yeast they use. Not a beer that'll blow your mind, but a damn fine example of the style. For a more bitter and a bit less balanced example, Rogue's Brutal Bitter is a pretty good beer too. Those are the only two I can really recommend at this point.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:13 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

Quote:

Can anyone guess why...?
yes......

we can.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe View Post
I think Sapporo controls my brain. every time i go out for sushi i tell myself; "self, Sapporo isn't that good. there's no reason to spend $6 on a 22 oz bottle of it. just have a water. beer and sushi isn't a great combo anyway." but, everytime, i end up ordering a Sapporo, and i'm damn near surprised when the waiter brings it to me.
I always ask if they have a rice beer and they bring sapporo which is ******** because it's not. Look at the can, waiter guy! THERE IS WHEAT ON THE CAN!

Old 09-15-2008, 03:33 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Sidenote on recommendation...
brasserie dupont ‘foret’ organic saison... delicious stuff.

Back to original Recommendation.

ESB's remind me of three things: fall, autumn, and halloween. If you live in a place that doesn't have fall, or autumn and can't sit in your backyard by a campfire and smell that chilly air and drink an ESB, god help you.

That being said: Harvest Ale by Goose Island is a pretty good ESB... Same with Great Lakes... and ESB, in my mind, is a good cross between a White Beer and a trappist ale. Good on the fruit, cloves, but considerably more zesty than the trappist, but more full and pronounced biscuity hop flavoring.

I don't disagree that Fullers is rather, uh. inconsistant... There's been quite a few times i've had it where it's absolutely delicious, there's other that, it's just terrible.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:40 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
Sidenote on recommendation...
brasserie dupont ‘foret’ organic saison... delicious stuff.

Back to original Recommendation.

ESB's remind me of three things: fall, autumn, and halloween. If you live in a place that doesn't have fall, or autumn and can't sit in your backyard by a campfire and smell that chilly air and drink an ESB, god help you.

That being said: Harvest Ale by Goose Island is a pretty good ESB... Same with Great Lakes... and ESB, in my mind, is a good cross between a White Beer and a trappist ale. Good on the fruit, cloves, but considerably more zesty than the trappist, but more full and pronounced biscuity hop flavoring.
fall is beer time. good call.

also, is the Goose Island Harvest Ale a fall seasonal? i don't think i've ever seen it before.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:50 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
fall is beer time. good call.

also, is the Goose Island Harvest Ale a fall seasonal? i don't think i've ever seen it before.
It might be.

Hell, it might not even be commonly available. All i know is when i feel it calling, it's there.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:06 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

New Belgium makes one too. as an FYI.

2* Below

Old 09-15-2008, 04:11 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

Quote:
yes......

we can.
Then get it right. You should know as a fellow Packer fan damnit.

they get smoked.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:22 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

Quote:
Then get it right. You should know as a fellow Packer fan damnit.
ok, i give up.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:42 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
actually loved 2 below last year. didn't realize it was supposed to be an ESB...
Yep. It's an ESB