Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:46 PM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74

The rollouts and Cutler's quick release.
illmatic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:49 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
I watched Ryan Harris in the preseason and he was awful. I heard tonight Cutler is the least contacted QB in the league.
Ryan Harris was bad at the start of the preseason, but he pretty much sat his whole rookie year so the rust wasn't unexpected. The fact is, by opening day he was ready to go and playing well... giving us upgrades at both tackle spots. Both Clady and Harris were perceived to be stronger pass protectors than run blockers when they came out of college, and based on what I've seen so far that appears to be the case.

Upgraded OL + Cutler's release + playcalling + good WR play (making blitzing less appealing) = few sacks
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:49 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shanny.

Shanny trumps any logic sometimes.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:59 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco99
Veteran

Denver Bronco99 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...8/rookie05.htm

Has this been posted yet? Some flattering words for Clady:

By Matt Sohn
Oct. 7, 2008

A record eight offensive tackles were snagged in the first round last April, and seven of them honed their skills in one of the NCAA’s so-called “power conferences.” Led by Michigan’s Jake Long, the two-time Big Ten Lineman of the Year, the first 31 picks included Chris Williams (Vanderbilt), Branden Albert (Virginia), Gosder Cherilus (Boston College), Jeff Otah (Pittsburgh) and Duane Brown (Virginia Tech). So naturally, it has been the lone non-BCS representative that has emerged as the class of the first-round linemen.

On the one hand, the notion that Boise State’s Ryan Clady has surpassed all of his first-round brethren shouldn’t be classified as a major shock. After all, only Long was selected ahead of him. Nevertheless, there was perhaps more uncertainty regarding Clady than any of the others. Not only did he spend his collegiate career beating up on WAC opponents, there were also questions about his maturity. Then, when bench-pressing at the Indianapolis Scouting Combine, he suffered a pectoral injury that rendered him not much more than a Hulk-sized observer for most of the week in Indianapolis.

Thus far, he has quelled all concerns, emphatically. As outstanding as Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall have been, a case could be made that Clady has been the best and most consistent cog in an offense racking up 415 yards per game. Maybe it’s the athleticism, maybe it’s the coaching, or maybe it’s the comfort that comes from being a Bronco during his collegiate career. Point is, he’s just getting it done.

Clady still hasn’t allowed a sack, and hasn’t so much as ticked his way to a false start — the next ball of yellow laundry thrown his way will be the first. Should he keep up his play, we could be seeing a rookie tackle strapping it up in Honolulu for the second consecutive season (Browns OLT Joe Thomas did the trick last year).

2. Broncos OT Ryan Clady (1-12)
Last week’s ranking: 5
If there was a Lineman of the Week award (which, given how oversaturated the NFL’s “award” list is, you figure there would be), Clady would’ve been a strong candidate for the weekend that was. Clady stonewalled Bucs 2007 top-five pick Gaines Adams throughout the afternoon, enabling the Broncos to do just enough in a surprisingly low-scoring victory.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:03 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like I said when they took Clady: that scheme is great, it can turn average linemen into good ones and really good linemen into great ones.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:37 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think the scheme really helps with pass blocking though. As far as I know, pass blocking is mostly the same no matter what scheme you're in(from a LT perspective, obviously it changes on the interior), it's all the same fundamentals. I think this has nothing to do with the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:58 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
I don't think the scheme really helps with pass blocking though. As far as I know, pass blocking is mostly the same no matter what scheme you're in(from a LT perspective, obviously it changes on the interior), it's all the same fundamentals. I think this has nothing to do with the system.
Clady was going to be a beast as a pass blocker, it was his run blocking that was the only issue I had with him as a prospect and that scheme does a great job covering lineman who lack the drive and overwhelming size/power for a power running scheme.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:46 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
Based on what I've seen, the league quit calling offensive holding.
Well, back when I played in middle school, we had a LT (who covered my blind side) who was 130 pounds (max weight being 160) and he faced a lot of good defensive ends who were 155-160 and ran 4.9's and 5.0's (keep in mind the fastest guy was 4.8) and he won lineman of the year. When I asked him how in the worl he only allowed for me to be sacked once he said to me that the very first pass we threw I was sacked. Then he started holding a lot and got called for it.. then by the 2nd game he was a master at holding, no one saw him, only visible in the video session. But by the end of the year, he learned how to use his feet and hands properly and pass block without holding. Now he is still light, playing HS Varsity, and is a very good Tackle for his team.

Its all about making it as least visible as possible.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:52 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Didn't Marcus McNeill make the Pro Bowl as a rookie also? Wouldn't that make it 3 straight years instead of two?
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:49 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, he did.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:37 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Back when the Falcons might have been picking at spot 5 (thank for for winning that coin flip. we might not have ryan otherwise) I was down for taking Clady. I realized it was quite a reach, but I loved his tool set coming out of the draft. Quick feet, long arms.

He is what D'brick should be.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote