Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:43 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:
Originally Posted by remix 6
Quote:
Easily Whitner. Collins isn't as good as Packers fans believe. I thought this season would have shown that.

Not to mention Whitner is was a top 10 pick and Collins was a 2nd rounder. Obviously that doesn't always make or break, but it is an indication of what each player's cielings are.
what difference does it make where u get picked? Steve Smith was a 2nd round WR..David Terrell was 8th overall pick

whos on a team right now and whos doing better? Exactly.

doesnt matter what round you get picked..hes asking whos going to be more productive and i'll go with Whitner b/c i've seen more of him..plays good in the box and hes a smart defender.
Who's doing better now? Whitner.

And yes, as the Bills fan pointed out, I already said that. Considering both are very new to the league, however, you still have to take ceiling into account. One could actually argue that Collins has a higher ceiling based on athletic ability, but I don't see it.
Well, you could also consider the schools each player came from.

Bethune-Cookman and Ohio St.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCybulski
Quote:
Easily Whitner. Collins isn't as good as Packers fans believe. I thought this season would have shown that.

Not to mention Whitner is was a top 10 pick and Collins was a 2nd rounder. Obviously that doesn't always make or break, but it is an indication of what each player's cielings are.
Are the same Packer fans who say Collins is awesome the same ones who say Woodson and Harris are awesome and their pass D only sucks because of bad safety play?

We had to hear all offseason about how Nick Collins and the rest of the current Packers are all sure fire Hall of Famers, but are just underrated right now. What did Collins do? Go out and stink the place up.
I'm sure the fact that GB had 2 new starters in the secondary and a new defensive coordinator and coaching staff had nothing to do with it. :roll:

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Vince Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:41 PM    (permalink
juve1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCybulski
Quote:

Are the same Packer fans who say Collins is awesome the same ones who say Woodson and Harris are awesome and their pass D only sucks because of bad safety play?

We had to hear all offseason about how Nick Collins and the rest of the current Packers are all sure fire Hall of Famers, but are just underrated right now. What did Collins do? Go out and stink the place up.
I'm sure the fact that GB had 2 new starters in the secondary and a new defensive coordinator and coaching staff had nothing to do with it. :roll:
The Buffalo Bills had 2 rookie safeties in Simpson and Whitner (2 new starters in the secondary), and a whole new coaching staff (Mike Mularkey and Jerry Gray out, Dick Jauron and Perry Fewell in). So that should negate your point in this specific conversation.

Whitner has everything you could look for in a safety except for height (he is almost 5'11", not quite but very close to it). Whitner is fast, strong, good in coverage, good against the run, smart, athletic...there is a reason that he was picked #8 overall.

I am a Bills fan and I do like both Whitner and Collins, but at this point I think you have to say Whitner.

Afer reading the posts I find it strange that Collins even has as many votes as he does, but you could most certainly argue that Collins could have a better career than Whitner. I hope both stay healthy for their careers so we can find out the truth.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler

Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.

I can't say. Next year is Nick Collins year to establish himself, he had a great rookie year and this year we had alot of new starters on defense, so when linebackers or Marquand Manuel blew coverages it makes him look bad, I think if we had a guy who can play centerfield you'd see Collins abilities more, he's athletic as any safety in the league outside of Sean Taylor. The main reason I want a player like Landry is that it would help Collins so much. The problem with the Manuel/Collins combo is that they're the same type of player except Collins is far more athletic, Collins is also better in coverage than most people think.

Bosanac01
Nitschke-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:46 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Space Ghost hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

More productive? Nick Collins because the Packers defense is always tackling people 20 yards down field in the secondary Just playing. I am not going to vote because I am a Bills fan and I am just going to say Whitner based off nothing.
Space Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:33 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarey20
Dawan Landry
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:56 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

id say whitner but this poll should be redone after next year
Old 02-04-2007, 12:09 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Comparing 2 guys who are utilized in different ways isn't really ideal. I think Collins is going to be fine, perhaps one of the better free safeties in the game ... but in terms of more productive, I'll go with Whitner, as the way they use him in Buffalo makes it more conducive for him to put up bigger numbers.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:13 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

that last part is very untrue, especially in this example. Collins was a 2nd rounder because he came from a nothing school (bethume-cookman I think?, id never heard of it either way), wheras Whittner went to OSU. The biggest reason for Whittner being picked so much higher than Collins was that he went to a better school, not talent level, and thats what indicates how high their ceilings are.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:29 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they both have very high ceilings. You really need to wait 3 years to evaluate players anyway. If Collins returns to his rookie form, I think he will have a great career, probably better than Whitner. If his play continues to suffer, it obviously will be Whitner.

Go me, way to hedge my bets :-D.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:54 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.
Default Re: Collins or Whitner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordscords
Just curious to see who people are projecting to be more productive over the course of their careers.
nick
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:28 PM    (permalink
PackerFan20

Collins and Darren Sharper have 2 things in common.
Both 2nd round picks
Both went to DIAA schools (Collins Bethune-Cookman, Sharper Will&Mary)
Old 02-04-2007, 08:28 PM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whitner.

BoneKrusher
Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:04 AM    (permalink
Big_Brother

I voted Donte, but if Collins wouldn't have regressed this year it would have been much tougher... I expect them both to be solid players but at this point I'm giving Whit the nod.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:03 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know if people outside of Green Bay really realize what he brings to the table as a man that can step up in the run defense and he plays a pretty good safety in pass coverage.... I'm giving him the nod

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:26 PM    (permalink
tom
Veteran

tom smells like sex panther.tom smells like sex panther.

Donte Whitner... Everybody thought he was over-rated last year, but was absolutely massive in his rookie year. He'll only get better.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:57 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom
Donte Whitner... Everybody thought he was over-rated last year, but was absolutely massive in his rookie year. He'll only get better.
Collins had arguably a better rookie campaign.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:53 PM    (permalink
jpapa4490
Rookie

jpapa4490 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I voted Collins but this should be redone 2 years from now.
jpapa4490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Rex212

Whitner.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:07 PM    (permalink
bills_red
Veteran

bills_red needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom
Looks like DW had a little better R year.

DW-105-T 1-INT
NC-86-T 1-INT
bills_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:11 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whitner anyday of the week

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:13 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills_red
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom
Looks like DW had a little better R year.

DW-105-T 1-INT
NC-86-T 1-INT
yeah that proves it :roll:

im not even disagreeing that Whittner had a better rookie year than Collins but having 20 more tackles proves absolutely nothing. You looked at 2 statisitcs and acted like that means something
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:09 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why are we comparing a SS and a FS in different schemes?

And by the way... Anthony Smith FTW!

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote