Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 10-20-2008, 12:18 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Staley is the Franchise LT. The need is at RT. I think Hietmann is a pretty solid center.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:22 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Staley is the Franchise LT.
Then we're in big trouble. He's slightly above average, but I wouldn't label him a franchise LT. Think about the franchise LTs in the league. I don't put Staley in their class.

Quote:
The need is at RT. I think Hietmann is a pretty solid center.
Meh. We could do much better.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:36 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Joe is still getting used to it he gets better every week. I have played all five spots and it definitly takes time to get used to the switch. Especially at tackle.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:56 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Why should McCloughan go? He has been awesome putting talent on the team. I think San Fran needs to decide what defense they are going to play in the offseason. Barry Sims is garbage RT is a big need unless Snyder gets moved there and either Baas or Rachal starts at LG.
We do have some talent but our drafts have been mediocre for the most part. Look at 05. That should be the foundation of our team. We got gore, and busted on pretty much every other pick. Baas cant even start and Snyder is just average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
Then we're in big trouble. He's slightly above average, but I wouldn't label him a franchise LT. Think about the franchise LTs in the league. I don't put Staley in their class.

Meh. We could do much better.
No love for Cody Wallace?

I think im going to go watch some Americas game about the 89 and 94 49ers tommorow. Need to wash the taste of this team out of my mouth. Walsh, Seifert, Young, Montana, Lott, Rice, Rathman, Craig, Jones, Sanders, Hanks, Barton, Cross, Watters, Floyd, Turner,Norton...those were the days.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:57 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
We do have some talent but our drafts have been mediocre for the most part. Look at 05. That should be the foundation of our team. We got gore, and busted on pretty much every other pick. Baas cant even start and Snyder is just average.
Alright well we will look at the hits in the draft since Mccloughan.

2nd - David Baas- Has had trouble staying healthy but is good when playing

3rd - Frank Gore- One of the best RBs in the NFL

3rd - Adam Snyder- Pretty solid starter no matter where he has been

5th - Ron Fields - Pretty consistant has worked his way into the rotation still on the team

7th - Billy Bajema - Solid blocking TE still with the team

Results 5/11 - Yeah not greatwith two full time starters, one part time, one pro bowler, and three role players

1st - Vernon Davis - Great blocker not been used properly, thus I believe adding to his inconsistancy in the recieveing game

1st - Manny Lawson - Very good starter and special teams player. Has also not been handled correctly to his talents. Injuries have hurt as well

4th - Michael Robinson - Great special teams player. Pretty good offensive weapon never gets played though

5th - Parys Haralson - Solid starter very good against the run and good pass rusher

6th Delaine Walker - Very good special teams player, has ability in the recieveing game

6th Marcus Hudson - Pretty good physical dime CB

6/9 Pretty good draft class there lots of talent.

1st - Patrick Willis - this man needs no introduction

1st - Joe Staley - Appears to be the Franchise LT gets better every week

3rd - Ray Mcdonald - Appears to be maturing into a very good player

4th Dashon Goldson - Has starting potential played solid when given the opportunity

5th Tarrell Brown - Showed starting ability played well as the nickel

5/9 A little early to fully evaluate this one, but this is what it looks like so far.

Looking at the overview I see a lot of talent, but nobody that has been able to put it all together on the field.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont know why I didnt think of this before but I hope that the organization gives it a try (this is assuming that Martz stays with the team):

1) Re-negotiate the contract with Alex to keep him at least to training camp and see if, when he's healthy and knows the offense, can he perform well and be the starter for this franchise (after spending this year learning Martz's system).

2) Draft a QB later in the draft (4th round or something to that effect since I dont believe we will have a shot at Stafford) who can sit and learn behind whoever-the-hell is starting, whether that be Alex or JTO or Hill or some random FA pick up.

Obviously, if Alex doesnt earn the starting job and wont take a drastic pay cut you kick his ass to the curb. Remember, the thinking inside the organization is that, if Alex were to be healthy and know the offense, he'd be better in it than JTO by the latter part of this season. So, if he will take a cut to stay here ('cause Nolan is gone) and the same system is in place, why not keep him around?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I dont know why I didnt think of this before but I hope that the organization gives it a try (this is assuming that Martz stays with the team):

1) Re-negotiate the contract with Alex to keep him at least to training camp and see if, when he's healthy and knows the offense, can he perform well and be the starter for this franchise (after spending this year learning Martz's system).

2) Draft a QB later in the draft (4th round or something to that effect since I dont believe we will have a shot at Stafford) who can sit and learn behind whoever-the-hell is starting, whether that be Alex or JTO or Hill or some random FA pick up.

Obviously, if Alex doesnt earn the starting job and wont take a drastic pay cut you kick his ass to the curb.
I think that is exactly what should be done. If the team has a bad record at the end of the year, which is looking very possible I am sure they could get Alex so stay by telling him there will be a competition.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:40 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My early 2009 off-season -

HEAD COACH - Fire Mike Nolan. Hire Mike Holmgren if possible. I would offer him $10m a year to come back. If he takes it, great. If not, move on. I would do this quickly though as I wouldnt want to get the team in a situation like after Norv Turner left. I dont want any damn coordinator from any other team whatsoever because I have a feling its not going to work out for us. I want the next HC to be someone who's good, has experience, leadership and that the players and other coaches will respect. I also want an offensive HC. I know that Holmgren is 50/50 at best but another reason why I want him is because he can develop QB's. He did it with Favre and Hasselbeck. Since QB is our biggest problem and taking everything else into consideration, im sure that everyone can see why I would do whatever it takes to bring Holmgren home.

Bill Cowher would be next on the list wth Mike Singletary third. I dont want a coordinator or assistant coach being our next HC but if that was to happen, I would go with Singletary as the players like and respect him.

OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR - Marty Mornhinweg. I know some dont like him and I'll admit that he sucked as a HC in DET (but who hasnt?) but he's one hell of an OC. He also runs the WCO and when you add him and Holmgren, the offense will definitely get back on track with the two of them working together.

Cam Cameron would be second on my list with Norm Chow third and the favorite if for whatever reason, ARZ wants to trade Leinart in the off-season. I dont see that happening but then again, who the hell knows?

DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR - Rob Ryan. I know Borat and others may not like him but at look at what he's done in OAK. His defense is the reason why they win games and keep others close. He primary runs a 4-3 which is what we need to get back to in my opinion because without a dominant NT, running the 3-4 is pointless in my opinion. I'll also explain why we should g back to the 4-3 later in this long ass post.

Dom Capers would be second on my list and only if we stay with the 3-4 defense which I wouldnt so it's all Ryan.

GENERAL MANAGER - If I can get Holmgren, McCloughan stays. Otherwise, he's gone but I honestly have no idea who I would replace him with. Maybe, Terry Donahue. LOL.

<continued>
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:48 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Alex wasn't hurt, he would be playing right now.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:08 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Yeah probably
Old 10-20-2008, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's not a probability, it's a guarantee.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:32 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

FREE AGENTS -

Out of the ones on that list, the one player that I would go after without hesitation would be DE Terrell Suggs. Going back to the 4-3, he would play DE and give us an instant pass rusher and play opposite run stuffing Justin Smith. Suggs just turned 26 and is in his prime. He'll be our franchise DE that we havent had since ??????. Other than him, I probably wouldnt go after anyone else.

RELEASE -

QB J.T. O'Sullivan
QB Jamie Martin
RB DeShaun Foster
FB Zak Keasey
WR Isaac Bruce
WR Bryant Johnson (UFA)
OT Jonas Jennings (BYE BYE)
DT Aubrayo Franklin
OLB Tully Banta Cain
FS Mark Roman

RESIGN -

C Eric Heitmann

NOTES -

QB Alex Smith

If I can get Mike Holmgren, I would keep Smith around because if there's anyone who can develop him and make him a franchise QB, it would be him. If not, then im 50/50 at best on bringing him back. You can ask him to take a paycut but what would his incentive be to do so? Nolan and Martz would both have to be gone. After all, Nolan screwed him up last injury when he was injured and Martz favored Sullivan the entire way. Think about it - if you were Smith, would you take a paycut and stay with the team that screwed up your arm? I wouldnt especially if Nolan and/or Martz are back in 2009. I dont want to be an asshole but you can see why, I wouldnt have exercised that option on Smith. We'll take a cap hit either way but letting him walk as an UFA would have been $9m or so which is a lot better than $20m something.

FB David Kirtman. On one hand, he was drafted by Holmgren but on the other, he was let go by Holmgren. He's 50-50. I really want a pure FB who can be a great lead blocker. I dont really know if Kirtman is that kind of FB or not. Either way, we need a pure FB.

WR - Morgan, Battle and Hill would return. I would keep Zeiger. All we need is another WR but I have no clue as to who that would be.

OL - If I cant get Michael Oher in the first round, I move Snyder to RT and start Baas and Rachal at OG. Heitmann returns as the C. Our OL hasnt played well but also remember that OL will play bad on purpose at times if they dont like or get along with the QB and/or coaching staff. With a new HC, it would remain to be seen if they would still play bad.

DEFENSE -

Go back to the 4-3 with FA signee Suggs playing DE opposite Smith. Sopoaga and Balmer start at DT with Fields as the backup. McDonald and Haralson add depth at DE.

LB wise, Lawson and Willis would be set while we just need that other OLB. I would most likely keep Spikes for another year unless Brooks can somehow prove himself to be a full time starter. I keep Ulbrich for special teams and depth as well as Green who I would definitely use as a pass rusher when possible. Add in Lawson as someone who I would blitz on passing situations.

CB - Clements is a stud and set at one CB. Harris has declined and Spencer is still 50/50 at best. See now guys why I would have went after Samuel seven months ago??? Oh well. If I cant get Oher in the first round, I would most likely draft the top cover corner available.

SS is set wth Michael Lewis as he's been damn good for us thus far. He's basically what Parrish was for us when we signed him in 2002 to replace Schulters.

FS - It would be Goldson or Reggie Smith. I'm not sure which. Of course, this wouldnt be an issue since I would have had FS Kenny Phillips (instead of Balmer) from the draft but again, oh well.

Anyway, that's pretty much it as of right now. I'm sure things will change between now and the off-season for us but that's my opinion.

Last edited by dan77733 : 10-20-2008 at 03:35 PM.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:26 PM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

haha i brought the same thing up to my dad. i said that alex smith couldn't be any worse so why don't we bring him back if we can restructure his deal

personally, i prefer the 3-4 for our defense as the defense is has been getting geared towards it for 3 years now. although it isn't all that effective, i believe that we are only a NT away from a good 3-4 because we are set at other positions. if we switched back tot he 4-3 then many players, that can play, wouldn't get a chance as they aren't as suited/trained for the 4-3. here is my breakdown of our defensive front 7

Ray McDonald-has really been turning it up lately and i believe will end up being a great 3-4 end. if we switch to a 4-3 then he gets lost in the shuffle of DE's

Aubrayo Franklin-sucks and is the weakspot of the D

Isaac Sopoaga-has flashes with crazy good strength. isn't as big of a liability as he was before, and could be effective in the 4-3 at DT

Kentwan Balmer-drafted to be a 3-4 end. i am not sure what he played in college, but so far all of his pro coaching has been geared towards the 3-4. would get playing time in the 4-3 most likely because of his high draft spot

Parys Haralson-a good edge rusher, probably the best on the team. above average against the run as well, would get lost in the shuffle of the 4-3 at DE along with Ray McDonald

Justin Smith-beast. does great in the 3-4 as he plays all positions and has shown he would play well in the 4-3

Patrick Willis-a stud in either defense

Takeo Spikes-would most likely be a backup to willis in the 4-3 but he is a solid player and i like him on the field

Manny Lawson-is still underutilized as a rusher like he was drafted to be, but he is a better LB overall because of it. if we switched to the 4-3, that aspect to him would be gone completely

Overall-for the 3-4 we are basically lacking at NT but that is the only huge hole. i like the defense as it is now, with the hybrid and justin smith playing everywhere. in the 4-3, we don't have an outside LB, and a lot of the talent drafted for the 3-4 would be going to waste in players such as haralson, mcdonald, sopoaga, balmer, etc

Last edited by rainbeaukid2 : 10-20-2008 at 07:41 PM.
rainbeaukid2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:05 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Number one need = big fat NT
Old 10-20-2008, 08:05 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbeaukid2 View Post
Ray McDonald-has really been turning it up lately and i believe will end up being a great 3-4 end. if we switch to a 4-3 then he gets lost in the shuffle of DE's
He was playing fine as a 4-3 DE, in fact, we have been running a 4-3 for the whole season. That "big sub" package was just a nickel package with 4 down lineman.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:26 PM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He was playing fine as a 4-3 DE, in fact, we have been running a 4-3 for the whole season. That "big sub" package was just a nickel package with 4 down lineman.
then there you go, my bad. i personally have really liked him ever since he was coming out of college and was just excited to see him thrive in the 3-4

i think right now the biggest guy on the draft board, both literally and figuratively, should be terrence cody, DT from Alabama. dudes a monster and would dominate at NT in the 3-4. is being compared to casey hampton and jamaal williams, two of the best 3-4 NTs in the league. and for proof, see the bama/clemson game and the rushing stats of two of the best RBs in the country

Last edited by rainbeaukid2 : 10-20-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Well I am really excited to see what gameplan Manusky will come up with now that he is on his own. I hope it is better :)
Old 10-20-2008, 09:19 PM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

Quote:
Well I am really excited to see what gameplan Manusky will come up with now that he is on his own. I hope it is better :)
ya me too, he hopefully will actually be able to get pressure on the qb
Old 10-20-2008, 09:54 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

I am curious to see how much we change without Nolan.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:02 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Well maybe the team will actually play like they want to be there. Hope Singletary gives the team a spark.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:07 PM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

without a doubt, i think overall the team will be less conservative both on offense and defense, and like someone else said, i will be stoked to see what manusky does on his own

in the draft though, i am really liking orakpo from texas, although he would have to be our pick int he first round if we were to get him. he alone could probably provide a passrush though, he is a monster

Last edited by rainbeaukid2 : 10-20-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

I think if enough of the young edge rushers go pro, there is a good chance we could get Cushing.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:22 PM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

Quote:
I think if enough of the young edge rushers go pro, there is a good chance we could get Cushing.
i like cushing as well, but he is more polished as a linebacker than a pass rusher, which would normally be good, but thats what we spent the last 3 years doing with manny lawson. i think we just need a straight up pass rusher than can get to the qb
Old 10-20-2008, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Cushing can come after the QB man he is a beast.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:27 PM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

Quote:
Cushing can come after the QB man he is a beast.
believe me, i know. i live in southern california where the only games that are even shown on tv are usc games. he is a beast, clay matthews rivals him though and he could be gotten in a later round, and brian orakpo is a bigger beast. i mean, cushing hasn't gone toe-to-toe with some of the best LTs in the nation and completely dominated on them compared to the way that orakpo has.