Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 10-20-2008, 10:29 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thats true about Clay Matthews. I would not mind seeing him taken in the late rounds. I did see Cushing take it to Jake Long though a couple years ago.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:34 PM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Thats true about Clay Matthews. I would not mind seeing him taken in the late rounds. I did see Cushing take it to Jake Long though a couple years ago.
ya, but even with jake long, he was praised more as a run blocker than a pass blocker. which might be the same with loadholt, but orakpo wrecked on him
Old 10-20-2008, 10:52 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Orakpo in the first, Loadholt in the second? At this point, this would pretty much be my dream draft. Of course, things will change, draft position etc.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:52 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would be down with that.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:23 PM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
Orakpo in the first, Loadholt in the second? At this point, this would pretty much be my dream draft. Of course, things will change, draft position etc.
that would be awesome, i think loadholt would play RT though. then maybe a QB ow WR in the third?
Old 10-20-2008, 11:42 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbeaukid2 View Post
maybe a QB...in the third?
No. The success rate of a 2nd round or 3rd round QB pick is awful.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbeaukid2 View Post
that would be awesome, i think loadholt would play RT though. then maybe a QB ow WR in the third?
For sure. I don't see Loadholt as a LT. Honestly, I just want us to address the OL/DL (again). I liked that we did it this year, although it doesn't do us any good that these kids are essentially red-shirting this year. If we build our lines up to be the strongest part of our team, the rest will fall in place.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:55 PM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
No. The success rate of a 2nd round or 3rd round QB pick is awful.
oh, i was not aware. but are you going to tell me, that besides the late round gems in romo the **** and brady, every good qb in the nfl was taken in the first round? and here in san francisco, the first round rate isn't all that good either
Old 10-21-2008, 01:34 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Cushing might fit better next to Willis, in the 3-4.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:59 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
No I think he is a way better fit as a 3-4 Sam. Yeah Loadholt would have to play RT in the NFL. I would definitly be down with Orakpo. My fear is that if he goes pro he will probably tear it up at the combine, to the point where he could jump into the top five.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:06 AM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any chance we could lock in a good OC for 4 years and work with Alex ?

I havent given up on him (unlike most here who thought JTO the saviour). Alex is still 24/25 with 4 years experience, hes clearly wants to stay (he attends QB meetings mid week) and he still has tremendous upside if he could get some stability in QB coach / OC.

If his shoulder can get back to 100% he's still our best QB

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:04 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan View Post

I havent given up on him (unlike most here who thought JTO the saviour). Alex is still 24/25 with 4 years experience, hes clearly wants to stay (he attends QB meetings mid week) and he still has tremendous upside if he could get some stability in QB coach / OC.

What about Lane Kiffin for OC? Only if we know if Martz is going to leave, though.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:15 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The thought of another OC bothers me. I am kind of indifferent about Martz but I'd rather have him than another OC.

By the way, for those who want Brady Quinn: http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_10757220. Supposedly, the Vikes offered Cleveland their '09 and 2010 first rounders for Quinn and the Browns declined:
Quote:
Word is the Vikings offered the Browns their 2009 and 2010 first-round draft picks for quarterback Brady Quinn, but Cleveland, after consideration, said no thanks.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:17 AM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
cushing is much better at OLB as was showin in USC's last game where Rey sat out and they had to move cushing to MLB and he was constantly out of position. he would be much better at SAM which would mean that we would have to move Lawson to rush backer, god forbid we actually send him on a blitz
Old 10-21-2008, 11:02 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan View Post

I share the same thoughts with you on Alex. I think with Nolan gone there is a good chance of him coming back. What do we have to lose? We have already payed him over $25 million. There aren't a lot of QB options on the open market and Alex would come back at a reduced price. It is a lot better then running a rookie QB out there and getting him killed.
"When I'm on the field, my one thought is to completely annihilate you and do everything in my power to make you fail. I don't have a single thought about what my hair looks like, what my shoes look like, why my shirt's unbuttoned. I don't care who you are or what you've done in this game. - Brian Wilson
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:10 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is my, very cluttered, plan:

GM: Scotty Mac is safe in my eyes. He has done a great job in the drafts and while he has had his big misses, Alex Smith, I still think the coaching failed the drafts more then Scott. I do think the 49ers need to hire another football mind to help consult with Scotty. There is not enough of those types in our front office.

HC
I like Singletary and I will withhold my judgement till the end of the season. But in case he doesn't work out here is my list of guys that I have in mind:
Offensive minded:
-Lane Kiffin- Kept the Raiders in games while being surrounded by snitches and a senile, erractic, and paranoid owner.
-Josh McDaniels- Hard to go wrong picking off Belichick coaching tree and I like the scheme he runs.
-Rob Chudzinski- Was the coach most likely to land a head coaching gig next season but has cooled down with Browns slow start.
-Russ Grimm- SMASHMOUTH FOOTBALL!!!!!! Plus we steal from the divison.
Defensive minded:
-Steve Spagnuolo- Top of my list. His defense is still one of the best in the league even with the loss of Osi and Stray. Also does a great job with getting the role players into the best situations.
-Leslie Frazier- Hey we basically run a cover 2 already.
-Dean Pees- See Josh McDaniels

Off that list I like Spags or Grimm. I think Grimm would bring the same ideologies of Bill Cowher. I don't think SF has a chance at Cowher.

One guy that I would really like to have is Marty Schottenheimer. We already have one guy from his past coaching staff, Greg Man, on our current staff. I also think there are many parallels between this team and his Charger teams.

QB
As I posted in this thread I want to bring Alex back. Depending on the coach I wouldn't mind seeing Jeff Garcia brought in as comp. to Alex. In the draft the 49ers need to draft a QB on Day 1. No excuse not to. So my depth chart would be:
Alex Smith
Jeff Garcia/Losman
Draft Pick

FA
My number one target is Albert Haynesworth. He has been dominate the last two seasons and he would payoff big for Willis and Justin Smith playing with this guy. Other guys I like:
Jordan Gross- Very underrated
Channing Crowder- Could come cheaper then guys like Scott, Vilma that will be on the market

Draft
If we end up with a top ten pick I would like to spend it on a QB or WR. I think one of the problems QBs have run into playing here is not having any WRs that can seperate. Also with the money we are going to be handing out I would rather use it on a skill position player. Here is my early pre-draft needs sheet:
1. WR
2. QB
3. RT
4. NT/DT
5. FS
"When I'm on the field, my one thought is to completely annihilate you and do everything in my power to make you fail. I don't have a single thought about what my hair looks like, what my shoes look like, why my shirt's unbuttoned. I don't care who you are or what you've done in this game. - Brian Wilson

Last edited by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? : 10-21-2008 at 11:38 AM.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Niners need to restructure Alex's contract significantly. There would be incentive for him to do so to stay with the Niners because he could 1) Have an opportunity to save face - he would be a backup anywhere else and 2) He would take an even bigger paycut if he were released, with teams only offering backup money for him as a "project player."

Draft an OT with our first pick (if a good one is available), then look to improve up the middle, were they are losing games. A quality DT space-eater/pass rusher.

Sign Suggs from Baltimore (the Raven that was worth Nolan bringing in) to be our edge pass rusher across from Manny. This would allow Manny to have less attention and get more sacks. If Suggs isn't an option, then sign Haynesworth and change the drafting strategy above to BPA for either an OT/Pass Rusher.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with 12 Picks in the Draft

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:28 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Yeah I am all for keeping Alex. If Martz does leave then jI would definitly consider Kiffen.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:39 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Here is my, very cluttered, plan:

GM: Scotty Mac is safe in my eyes. He has done a great job in the drafts and while he has had his big misses, Alex Smith, I still think the coaching failed the drafts more then Scott. I do think the 49ers need to hire another football mind to help consult with Scotty. There is not enough of those types in our front office.

HC
I like Singletary and I will withhold my judgement till the end of the season. But in case he doesn't work out here is my list of guys that I have in mind:
Offensive minded:
-Lane Kiffin- Kept the Raiders in games while being surrounded by snitches and a senile, erractic, and paranoid owner.
-Josh McDaniels- Hard to go wrong picking off Belichick coaching tree and I like the scheme he runs.
-Rob Chudzinski- Was the coach most likely to land a head coaching gig next season but has cooled down with Browns slow start.
-Russ Grimm- SMASHMOUTH FOOTBALL!!!!!! Plus we steal from the divison.
Defensive minded:
-Steve Spagnuolo- Top of my list. His defense is still one of the best in the league even with the loss of Osi and Stray. Also does a great job with getting the role players into the best situations.
-Leslie Frazier- Hey we basically run a cover 2 already.
-Dean Pees- See Josh McDaniels

Off that list I like Spags or Grimm. I think Grimm would bring the same ideologies of Bill Cowher. I don't think SF has a chance at Cowher.

One guy that I would really like to have is Marty Schottenheimer. We already have one guy from his past coaching staff, Greg Man, on our current staff. I also think there are many parallels between this team and his Charger teams.

QB
As I posted in this thread I want to bring Alex back. Depending on the coach I wouldn't mind seeing Jeff Garcia brought in as comp. to Alex. In the draft the 49ers need to draft a QB on Day 1. No excuse not to. So my depth chart would be:
Alex Smith
Jeff Garcia/Losman
Draft Pick

FA
My number one target is Albert Haynesworth. He has been dominate the last two seasons and he would payoff big for Willis and Justin Smith playing with this guy. Other guys I like:
Jordan Gross- Very underrated
Channing Crowder- Could come cheaper then guys like Scott, Vilma that will be on the market

Draft
If we end up with a top ten pick I would like to spend it on a QB or WR. I think one of the problems QBs have run into playing here is not having any WRs that can seperate. Also with the money we are going to be handing out I would rather use it on a skill position player. Here is my early pre-draft needs sheet:
1. WR
2. QB
3. RT
4. NT/DT
5. FS
I'm not going to comment on our next HC because it remains to be seen how Singletary does and what will happen with him. One thing is for sure, unless he does bad, I dont see him taking a demotion back to being the LB coach.

QB wise, I dont know what's going to happen with Smith but I would be shocked if he takes a paycut to stay in SF because after all, this is the team that has had no consistency or stability in regards to the OC and is also the team that screwed him up relating to his shoulder injury last year. Basically, two years in a row. If I was him, I would be hesitant to stay in SF especially if they were to ask me to take a paycut.

I would probably go after Losman if the price is right but im not going to overpay for him since he's been outplayed by Edwards. I would keep Hill as the backup since he's still under contract for two more years. I woud draft a QB on the second day to be the third stringer unless I sign/trade for another QB. One idea is Daunte Culpepper. He was good until Saban screwed him up in 2006 (just like what's happened to Smith). He still has an arm and as long as he has protection up front, he could easily be our starter for a year or two untl we get a franchise QB. He sure as hell cant do any worse than Sullivan.

Defensively, I want DC Rob Ryan from OAK who's done a great job with Morrison and Howard at LB and has done great getting pressure and sacks from his DL. He could do the same with Lawson and Willis. I would also go after UFA DE Terrell Suggs more than anyone. He just turned 26 and is what we need the most - a dominant pass rushing DE. I have no interest in Haynesworh because I would go back to the 4-3 and personally, he's only playing great because he hasnt been paid yet. One he is, I guarantee that his play and attitude will go back to what it was.

Besides, getting Suggs to play DE opposite Smith will allow us to start Balmer and Sopoaga at DT which is another reason why I wouldnt go after Haynesworth. We drafted Balmer who can play DT in the 4-3 so why waste money on a DT when we need a pass rushing DE a hell of a lot more.

LB wise, Lawson and Willis would be set at OLB and MLB respectively. All we need is that other OLB. If we cant get Karlos Dansby, I would most likely keep Spikes for another year and hope that Brooks can take over in 2010.

Secondary wise, we need another CB. And people bashed me for wanting Asante Samuel several months ago. Imagine Samuel and Clements as our starting CB's. Oh well, back to crappy reality. Clements is set but we need that other starting CB. Harris has declined (like I said he would) and Spencer is 50/50 at best. Any ideas or suggestions? I personally would draft the best cover corner in the first round if Michael Oher is gone.

Michael Lewis is set at SS while im hoping that Dashon Goldson or Reggie Smith can start at FS.

Draft wise, my main target would be Michael Oher because before any QB or WR, we need an OL who can protect the QB which allows the WR's time to get open so the QB can get them the ball. If Oher is gone, I most likely go after the best cover corner available and start him from day one.

Just my opinion.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:00 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Draft wise I really like Andre Smith from Alabama. I think he is a good physical guy that we could use at RT. I think Reggie Smith was drafted to be Walt's replacement.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:10 PM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Draft wise I really like Andre Smith from Alabama. I think he is a good physical guy that we could use at RT. I think Reggie Smith was drafted to be Walt's replacement.
ya, thats what was said about smith when we drafted him although i would rather him or goldson play at safety with tarell brown at corner as he has doen pretty well
Old 10-21-2008, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Yeah well whatever works I guess.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:41 PM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

a good post on the 3-4 prospects in the draft this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro
Here are my 3-4 position rankings for players who seniors or I believe will come out and have a good chance of being drafted into the 3-4:

Nose Tackle:
1. Terrance Taylor, Michigan- A very large man with outstanding strength. Taylor is already physically ready to play in the league and should cope with constant double teams easily.
2. B.J. Raji, Boston College- As mentioned earlier in the thread, he's a true monster. Not many know of him and a lot of that has to do with him sitting out the 2007 season with academic issues, but he is easily a top nose tackle prospect. Raji comes in at 6'1, 323 pounds, meaning he has the exact size and strength NFL scouts look for when drafting NTs.
3. Ron Brace, Boston College- A main reason why Boston College's run defense was second best in the nation last year, and with Raji coming back, it could easily be the best this go around. Like teammate Raji, he has the ideal size for an NFL nose tackle and should do well at the position in years to come.

Defensive End:
1. Tyson Jackson, Louisiana State- Easily the top 3-4 end prospect in the class. Has the size scouts dream about for the position; 6'5, 295 pounds. He should make an immediate and large impact for whomever drafts him.
2. Vince Oghobaase, Duke- A lot of people want to call him a 3-4 NT, but he's easily too tall for that position. His height however makes him perfect for the end spot. His future coaches may ask him to lose a little weight a 310 pounds, although there are a few quality ends who play effectively at that size.
3. Pannel Egboh, Stanford- Not talked up much, but is a solid player. A little light for the position at 275 pounds, but his 6'6 frame means he can add weight without sacrificing any sort of mobility.

Outside Linebacker:
1. George Selvie, South Florida- Barring a bad season or combine performance, Selvie is set up to be a greater prospect than Shawn Merriman or DeMarcus Ware. He is easily the best pass rusher in college currently and has the ideal frame to play outside at 6'4, 245 pounds.
2. Brian Cushing, Southern California- Cushing is another top 3-4 outside linebacker prospect. He's excelled at both rushing the passer and playing stand up linebacker, and his experience and physical tools means he should easily be a first rounder next year.
3. Brian Orakpo, Texas- He's an underachiever, but is also set to finally break out this season. He has everything you look for physically, including size and speed, so if he can put it together this year, he should be a relatively high pick.

Inside Linebacker:
1. Rey Maualuga, Southern California- Maualuga is easily the best linebacker in the nation, regardless of scheme. He has the size(6'3, 255), speed, instincts, and toughness needed to play inside. Should easily be a top five pick, with a realistic chance of anchoring the Dolphins new 3-4.
2. Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina- One of the largest(6'2, 275) and toughest linebackers in the nation. Before he was sidelined with an knee injury that ended his 2007 season short, he was possibly the most feared linebacker in the SEC, earning All-SEC 1st team honors in 2006.
3. Brandon Spikes, Florida- When Brinkley went down, Spikes jumped right in to claim his All-SEC 1st team spot at linebacker in 2007. Spikes is a tackling machine and has the size needed to play inside on the next level.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Will we stick with the 3-4 "hybrid" D (aka the 4-3) after this year? Who knows at this point.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with 12 Picks in the Draft

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:49 PM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
Will we stick with the 3-4 "hybrid" D (aka the 4-3) after this year? Who knows at this point.
i think we will cuz manusky will still be there as the D-coordinator, regardless of the fact that nolan is now gone