Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:47 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Let's nip this race discussion in the bud before it gets out of hand.
i'll race you around the block.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:50 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
i'll race you around the block.
nascar ftw!!!!
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:53 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Herm Edwards would make an excellent head coach for San Diego State. He loves his alma mater and would bring much needed recruiting and excitment to Montezuma mesa
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:02 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
nascar ftw!!!!
i prefer right turns. tyvm. besides, i'd beat diab in any race. any time.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
like diab quoted. i think you're trying to find the most inflammatory part of the article and use it to your own agenda.
It was a simple observation, that's all. I do a lot of work in the field of survey research, and I often see obvious points being ignored in favor of more complex/subtle answers that better fit the client's viewpoint. Not that the obvious is always the correct answer, but it's worth considering rather than being rejected out of hand.

Okay, so here's the actual NY Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/sp...rhoden.html?em

White top 7:

1. Dungy
2. Belicheck
3. Smith
4. Shanahan
5. Fisher
6. Edwards
7. Holmgren

Black top 5:

1. Dungy
2. Smith
3. Belichek
4. Edwards
5. Tomlin
(their 6 and 7 aren't contained in the article)

It's an interesting article, and does attempt to provide some explanation for the differences in opinions between white and black players. Interpreting these kinds of results is always a little dicey, though... if you really want to know the answer to a question, you've got to ask it in the survey.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:24 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Poor Bill. Everybody hates him except the people that matter. It's a wonder he can sleep at night.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:32 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
White top 3:

1. Dungy
2. Belicheck
3. Smith

Black top 3:

1. Dungy
2. Smith
3. Belichek

It's an interesting article, and does attempt to provide some explanation for the differences in opinions between white and black players. Interpreting these kinds of results is always a little dicey, though... if you really want to know the answer to a question, you've got to ask it in the survey.
the top three. the same people. i find that to be really conclusive. everything else is trying to provoke racism and race favoritism where there is none. on either sides.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:17 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
here's another quote of it all, from the NYT

"According to the survey, the most desirable attributes in a head coach were good communication skills, followed by motivational skills, approachability, management skills and leading by example.

There were also significant differences between white and black players. For instance, respect and trust were listed by all players as crucial components for successful relationships, but white players expressed more trust and respect for their head coaches than black players.

“Who would have thought that the most important things to players is that the coach respects them?” Zuberi said. “This has a fundamental impact on the players’ attitudes toward the coaches. I didn’t expect that white players would trust and respect their coaches more than black players.”

Another distinction was that African-American players were not entirely race neutral when it came to head coaches. Race matters.

Although all players agreed on the top 10 most desirable head coaches, there were subtle differences between white and black players.

Among all players, Dungy was selected as the top coach. White players ranked Belichick second, Smith third, the Denver Broncos’ Mike Shanahan fourth and the Tennessee Titans’ Jeff Fisher fifth.

Black players ranked Smith second, Belichick third, Edwards fourth and Tomlin fifth.

Edwards was sixth among white players, and Shanahan dropped to ninth among black players. Mike Holmgren of Seattle was ranked seventh among white players and 13th among black players."

bold: mine.

if we're going by the 'race' card... black players wouldn't have put belichick third, if they're clearly choosing by race. and as far as the 'alignment of values'. the black coaches listed tend to exemplify said values towards their players. HENCE. You'll get people with the same values, voting for the same guys.
I think their desire to win a superbowl, him being the most likely coach to do it again in the next 5 years might over ride their support of black coaches.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wait, every great coach has about the same chance, id say the team is way more important to determine a SB win. Its not like Belichick won all those superbowls because of his scheming. It was more Brady

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:05 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
wait, every great coach has about the same chance, id say the team is way more important to determine a SB win. Its not like Belichick won all those superbowls because of his scheming. It was more Brady
Amusing, because whenever someone brings up Brady's three rings, 75% of this board says it was because of Belichick and the defense.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:16 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Amusing, because whenever someone brings up Brady's three rings, 75% of this board says it was because of Belichick and the defense.
its certainly both, but when u needed Captain Clutch, he was there. What i mean is, its not like Bill won them on his own, they needed Vinateri and the Tuck Rule and often some miracle plays to make it.

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:22 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also heard that Herm plays to win the game. any conformation on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:49 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
I can indeed provide confirmation on this.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:25 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!
Quote:
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:31 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
its certainly both, but when u needed Captain Clutch, he was there. What i mean is, its not like Bill won them on his own, they needed Vinateri and the Tuck Rule and often some miracle plays to make it.
i think renji provided the best explanation... that and it was extraordinarly difficult to separate what BB was doing and what Brady was doing sometimes

Old 11-02-2008, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm awaiting toonster to verify this rumor...

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:51 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
im waiting for Dirk to clarify this issue
Quote:
Old 11-02-2008, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Herm is good, and I've always liked him. He'll turn KC around soon. They had a great draft last year.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:02 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
the top three. the same people. i find that to be really conclusive. everything else is trying to provoke racism and race favoritism where there is none. on either sides.
Not really sure why assuming that African-American players would somewhat favor African-American coaches is racist or inflammatory. People identify with people that they feel they share some kind of connection with. People of the same or similar race tend to share that connection moreso than with those of a different race.

It's one thing to say that the claim was made without proper evidence (although it really isn't much of a stretch), but it's another to fly off the handle and portray as some huge racial slight when it really isn't.

Anyway, I thought it interesting that Belichick got named to both the most and least wanted head coaches.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:10 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post
Herm is good, and I've always liked him. He'll turn KC around soon. They had a great draft last year.
If he's given the chance. He very well might get fired this year
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:18 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Herm is not a good football coach. He's a good players coach but that only goes so far. He'd do really well in college, however
Old 11-02-2008, 03:48 PM    (permalink
iBoldin
Veteran

iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
Where is Toonster these days? I used to love his mocks.
iBoldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:22 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoldin View Post
Where is Toonster these days? I used to love his mocks.
GMing your favorite team
Quote:
Old 11-03-2008, 09:50 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post
If he's given the chance. He very well might get fired this year
no way.

hunt has said that he has no plans.
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chi...ry/843090.html

Quote:
Q: Do you have the right people in place to see the Chiefs through this rebuilding process?

Hunt: I think so. I would point to our draft this year. At the time, we felt good about it. Five games into the season, I feel equally good about it. The staff, including the coaching staff, did a great job of identifying the type of players they felt would be a good fit, the type of players they felt could become starting players in the NFL, the type of players they felt would become good Chiefs. The coordination and the sharing of a common perspective between the scouting department and the coaching staff is as good as I can remember it in the last 10 years.

Is Herm Edwards doing a good job?

I think he is. Certainly, competing in the NFL with as many rookies as we have on our team and as many rookies as we have in our starting lineup is difficult. But Herm is doing the right thing. He’s giving those players experience. I’m sure to some degree, some of those decisions are very tough. But he knows where he wants to go and what he needs to do to get there.
sure, some of the NFL press conf. are just lip service, but, i don't see why he'd be giving this if he wasn't planning on doing this.