Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-07-2007, 01:58 AM    (permalink
Tobzilla
Pro Bowler

Tobzilla hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Tobzilla hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuff
What do you mean more history? I think your insane... People on here are just to young, that is why the history is the way it is. There is no different outside the age of some teams.

As for the changing to rival's... It doesn't happen all the often and it probably happens in the English premier league, but you just don't follow it close enough or something.

How about Ashley Cole or Michael Owen?
Good point there snuff.

I think fans, for the most part, know a lot about their teams history.

PM me for sig requests
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Connery View Post
Suck it Trebek!
Tobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:42 AM    (permalink
NYmoney
Veteran

NYmoney needs more cowbell.

here's a thought, what if an englishman ever tried to buy an NFL team? Like the Pats or Giants? People here would be just as livid as Man U fans were when Glazer took over Man U.
NYmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:44 AM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmoney
here's a thought, what if an englishman ever tried to buy an NFL team? Like the Pats or Giants? People here would be just as livid as Man U fans were when Glazer took over Man U.
QFT

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:29 AM    (permalink
NYmoney
Veteran

NYmoney needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKfan
Quote:
QFT
?
NYmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:42 AM    (permalink
Jango
Rookie

Jango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
QFT
?
Quoted for Thruth, he agrees with what you are saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888
I'd rather see an American owner start a premiership club in America...that's my own personal dream.
That would never work. Unlike the NFL, which only has one league and thus any new team would have to enter at that league, a new team would have to start at the very bottom and work its way up which would take 15-20 years. I doubt an owner would wait that long.[/quote]
Jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Jango
Rookie

Jango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk
This says soccer thread, so here goes:

Where is Henry headed? Milan? RMad? Barca?
Henry stays at Arsenal. If he would have left Arsenal, it would have happened last year when he was at his most uncomfortable and uneasy about his future. Considering he signed a contract extension and is visibly more pleased with Arsenal, the rising youth team, the brand new stadium, I think it is a pretty clear cut thing that he will stay at Arsenal.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jango
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
QFT
?

Quote:
I'd rather see an American owner start a premiership club in America...that's my own personal dream.
That would never work. Unlike the NFL, which only has one league and thus any new team would have to enter at that league, a new team would have to start at the very bottom and work its way up which would take 15-20 years. I doubt an owner would wait that long.
[/quote]

not if they shell out a ton of cash....
Old 02-07-2007, 12:51 PM    (permalink
Jango
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
QFT
?

Quote:
That would never work. Unlike the NFL, which only has one league and thus any new team would have to enter at that league, a new team would have to start at the very bottom and work its way up which would take 15-20 years. I doubt an owner would wait that long.
No, it doesn't work like that. There have been clubs for years who have tried to progress up the league, poured money, blood and heart into it, the fans who have spent year upon year tryying to get tickets for the big game that could mean promotion or more. Now imagine a team just walking in, throw a ton of cash at the authorites and hope to enter the highest league. It just won't happen, not in England, where money isn't the crux of very matter.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:22 PM    (permalink
FunJokeshere

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuff
What do you mean more history? I think your insane... People on here are just to young, that is why the history is the way it is. There is no different outside the age of some teams.

As for the changing to rival's... It doesn't happen all the often and it probably happens in the English premier league, but you just don't follow it close enough or something.

How about Ashley Cole or Michael Owen?

when did either of them move to rivals? cole went from arsenal to chelsea and owen went from liverpool to real madrid to newcastle...

but your honestly telling me that more people in America know more about their teams histories than fans of soccer teams in England...because thats insane...
Old 02-07-2007, 04:27 PM    (permalink
TH3
Veteran

TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

if anyone tells me the entire soccer system is not based around greed they need a swift kick in the ass...
TH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:33 PM    (permalink
FunJokeshere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3
if anyone tells me the entire soccer system is not based around greed they need a swift kick in the ass...
it is driven by greed for money but just not as much as sports here IMO
Old 02-07-2007, 04:37 PM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.

Hicks will drive Liverpool into the ground, sorry but that's the truth.

What do you think about the Italian matches (particularly the CL matches and Celtic (Hail!Hail!) and AC Milan) being played behind closed doors?

'Mon The Hoops

gdamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:38 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD
Hicks will drive Liverpool into the ground, sorry but that the truth.

What do you think about the Italian matches (particularly the CL matches and Celtic (Hail!Hail!) and AC Milan) being played behind close doors?

'Mon The Hoops
:( does he have a bad track record or something, I heard he was a pretty good owner of the Texas Rangers.

It doesn't matter where the Celtic games are played, barring anything stupid Milan should go through comfortably.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:39 PM    (permalink
FunJokeshere

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD

What do you think about the Italian matches (particularly the CL matches and Celtic (Hail!Hail!) and AC Milan) being played behind close doors?

'Mon The Hoops

is it at AC? and is it because of all the problems they had with fans and security and whatnot?
Old 02-07-2007, 04:41 PM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD

'Mon The Hoops
:( does he have a bad track record or something, I heard he was a pretty good owner of the Texas Rangers.

It doesn't matter where the Celtic games are played, barring anything stupid Milan should go through comfortably.

Just look at what the Rangers have done in the past couple years. Comfortably through my arse, typical English.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:45 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD

'Mon The Hoops

Just look at what the Rangers have done in the past couple years. Comfortably through my arse, typical English.
I'm not going to argue, guess we will just see in a few weeks. If Celtic get through more power to them. I'd like them to win, I just 100% cannot see it happening.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:51 PM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

Don't worry m8, we'll prove you wrong.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:50 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So TH3 how does it feel now that Man U's best player Cristiano Ronaldo is headed to Spain pretty soon?
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:03 PM    (permalink
TH3
Veteran

TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk
So TH3 how does it feel now that Man U's best player Cristiano Ronaldo is headed to Spain pretty soon?
while I am sad he will be leaving.... I am happy.... his skip is top notch but if he dosnt want to play for Man U he needs to go.... Owen Hargraves will be here come the summer and that will weaken the loss and I expect us to make a move for Darren Bent as well.... and if/when he leaves it will be Rooneys time to shine... to become the "wonder boy" and become what he many think he could be
TH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:30 AM    (permalink
Jango
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3
Quote:
Originally Posted by etk
while I am sad he will be leaving.... I am happy.... his skip is top notch but if he dosnt want to play for Man U he needs to go.... Owen Hargraves will be here come the summer and that will weaken the loss and I expect us to make a move for Darren Bent as well.... and if/when he leaves it will be Rooneys time to shine... to become the "wonder boy" and become what he many think he could be
That is the stupidest thing ever. First of all, Ronaldo will not leave, he has become one of the best players in the world here and will be offered a new contract to reflect it. How will Hargrevees, A defensive midfielder weaken the loss? We will have a 34 year old Giggs and Park ji-Sung on the wings, that's not good enough. Why would we want Darren Bent, considering that Charlton have rejected an £18million offer for him, why would we pay more? And as for the Rooney thing, you obviously don't watch and united games. He already is the wonder boy, he is already shinning, he is going to become one of the best ever, Ronaldo does not restrict his progress, it just helps it and the club, having two of the best youngersters in the world. The fans love them both, never stop singing their name, why would Ronaldo want to leave?

Your post, upon more reading of it, makes no sense at all.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:18 AM    (permalink
AdrianWilson12
Veteran

AdrianWilson12 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3
Quote:
Originally Posted by etk
That is the stupidest thing ever. First of all, Ronaldo will not leave, he has become one of the best players in the world here and will be offered a new contract to reflect it. How will Hargrevees, A defensive midfielder weaken the loss? We will have a 34 year old Giggs and Park ji-Sung on the wings, that's not good enough. Why would we want Darren Bent, considering that Charlton have rejected an £18million offer for him, why would we pay more? And as for the Rooney thing, you obviously don't watch and united games. He already is the wonder boy, he is already shinning, he is going to become one of the best ever, Ronaldo does not restrict his progress, it just helps it and the club, having two of the best youngersters in the world. The fans love them both, never stop singing their name, why would Ronaldo want to leave?

I agree with what your saying Jango, there is no way united should sell Ronaldo. You'd probably be 10 points less this year without him, he has been that amazing. He may want to leave, it was heavily rumoured so in the summer after he was murdered by the disgruntled English media. I can see him going, but it would be the wrong decision.

Darren Bent would go for about £10-12 million in the summer if Charlton are relegated. However I'm noticing a trend of overspending on English talent to keep the league somewhat national, eg Ashley Young, Carrick ect.

I think you, like most of the world are overating Wayne Rooney. Sure he is a very good player, but reports of him being somesort of reincarnation of Pele are greatly exaggerated. He has been dreadfully inconsistant this year, had a terrible world cup and has a very poor temperment. Aside from the occasional wonder goal, he isn't nearly as good as everyone says.
#1--Russell I can't be too disappointed in this pick because he is, realistically, a huge upgrade (in the same way that the Great Wall of China would be a huge upgrade over the fence in my backyard) over Andrew Walter.
AdrianWilson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:21 AM    (permalink
AdrianWilson12
Veteran

AdrianWilson12 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
QFT
?

Quote:
No, it doesn't work like that. There have been clubs for years who have tried to progress up the league, poured money, blood and heart into it, the fans who have spent year upon year tryying to get tickets for the big game that could mean promotion or more. Now imagine a team just walking in, throw a ton of cash at the authorites and hope to enter the highest league. It just won't happen, not in England, where money isn't the crux of very matter.
They could just take over a lower division team and move them to New York. Milton Keynes Dons, in League 2, were once Wimbledon. The decision would be extremely unpopular as fans would have no way of still following them, but that would be the way to go.
#1--Russell I can't be too disappointed in this pick because he is, realistically, a huge upgrade (in the same way that the Great Wall of China would be a huge upgrade over the fence in my backyard) over Andrew Walter.
AdrianWilson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:59 AM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

Wow, AdrianWilson I'm completely with you about Rooney, when Liverpool play the Mancs Ronaldo gives me kittens, Rooney doesn't at all, Carra and Sami/Agger keep him pretty quiet.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:13 AM    (permalink
Jango
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianWilson12
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
QFT
?

Quote:
They could just take over a lower division team and move them to New York. Milton Keynes Dons, in League 2, were once Wimbledon. The decision would be extremely unpopular as fans would have no way of still following them, but that would be the way to go.
To be fair, the logistics would be a nightmare. In the NFL, there are 16 games a season, once every week. In England, especially in League 2, there are about 44 games, played all over the place in no real structure, I really can't see something like that happening.

As for Rooney, I feel you are being a little harsh on him. Sure, he has been a little inconsitent this year but he gets vital goals, he gets the crowd going, he never gives up, he can change a game in a instant. Take the Portsmouth FA cup game, he came on from the bench and won us the game, with one of the best goals. He works his ass of every game and about hit temprement, it make him who he is. I would he would be firey, play with passion and get the odd booking here and there then be a timid player who avoids getting stuck in, it's the English way to get stuck in. And for him being poor in the World Cup, that's extremly harsh on him. He was rushed back from an injury on his foot and played even though he shouldn't have been playing. He was rushed back and he suffered from it. But is shows you his importance to England if they are willing to keep him in the squad and risk all they could to play him, the stand they effectively took is that a half fit Rooney is better then a fully fit Bent or Defoe. Look at England games and United games with Rooney and without Rooney and you can see a stark contrast. He is importnat to both his club and national team and while he's not the best player in the world now, he certainly has the potential and ability to become one of the bests.

As for Ronaldo, he would left last summer if the media had got to him. This year he takes all the stick and has produced some of the best displays of the year, after the second half the fans just give up as they realise that it has no effect on him. And the United fans absolutely love him, every time he gets the ball at Old Trafford the whole crowd goes wild, it is a great atmosphere and I'm sure he must enjoy it.

I agree though, English talent seems way overpriced for no reason. Often you can get young, possibly better players in the same position from the rest of the world for much cheaper then it would cost for an English player in the same mould.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:59 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianWilson12
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3
Quote:
Originally Posted by etk

I agree with what your saying Jango, there is no way united should sell Ronaldo. You'd probably be 10 points less this year without him, he has been that amazing. He may want to leave, it was heavily rumoured so in the summer after he was murdered by the disgruntled English media. I can see him going, but it would be the wrong decision.

Darren Bent would go for about £10-12 million in the summer if Charlton are relegated. However I'm noticing a trend of overspending on English talent to keep the league somewhat national, eg Ashley Young, Carrick ect.

I think you, like most of the world are overating Wayne Rooney. Sure he is a very good player, but reports of him being somesort of reincarnation of Pele are greatly exaggerated. He has been dreadfully inconsistant this year, had a terrible world cup and has a very poor temperment. Aside from the occasional wonder goal, he isn't nearly as good as everyone says.
Rooney is pretty good IMO. Have you already forgotten that chip shot? Ronaldo clearly wants to go to Spain and so do his Portugal coaches. Man U should sell him for a ridiculous amount and use the leftover money to pry Aaron Lennon from Tottenham and sign another available player like Crouch or something. Lennon is younger than Ronaldo and is faster/better at crosses but he can't score like Ronaldo. That's what I would do in FIFA 07
etk is offline   Reply With Quote