Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-08-2007, 04:03 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why doesn't a rich American buy a club from League Champ for cheap, buy amazing players and move up to the Premiership and eventually become a power. It's a bit of a risk but it could be very profitable, especially if the club plays in a big city.
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:23 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Atletico Madrid supremo Garcia Pitarch has admitted that Fernando Torres could leave Spain for England in the summer.

Man U could sell Ronaldo and sign Lennon and Torres....BINGO. Or maybe Torres could replace Henry. Or Abrahamovich pulls another stack out of his sleeve and adds another striker.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:07 PM    (permalink
TH3
Veteran

TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jango
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3
Quote:
Originally Posted by etk
So TH3 how does it feel now that Man U's best player Cristiano Ronaldo is headed to Spain pretty soon?
while I am sad he will be leaving.... I am happy.... his skip is top notch but if he dosnt want to play for Man U he needs to go.... Owen Hargraves will be here come the summer and that will weaken the loss and I expect us to make a move for Darren Bent as well.... and if/when he leaves it will be Rooneys time to shine... to become the "wonder boy" and become what he many think he could be
That is the stupidest thing ever. First of all, Ronaldo will not leave, he has become one of the best players in the world here and will be offered a new contract to reflect it. How will Hargrevees, A defensive midfielder weaken the loss? We will have a 34 year old Giggs and Park ji-Sung on the wings, that's not good enough. Why would we want Darren Bent, considering that Charlton have rejected an £18million offer for him, why would we pay more? And as for the Rooney thing, you obviously don't watch and united games. He already is the wonder boy, he is already shinning, he is going to become one of the best ever, Ronaldo does not restrict his progress, it just helps it and the club, having two of the best youngersters in the world. The fans love them both, never stop singing their name, why would Ronaldo want to leave?

Your post, upon more reading of it, makes no sense at all.
Article on Cristiano Ronaldo

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...407224&cc=5901

in no way did i claim that he (CR) hampers Rooney at all. I was simply pointing out that if he did leave more of the burden of carrying the team would fall on Rooney's shoulders and we would see if Wayne could truely become the greatest ever.

as for the Owen Hargraves comment... how do good players joining a team not weaken the loss of a star player? So what if he is a defensive mid he still brings skill to the pitch.
TH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:47 PM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk
Why doesn't a rich American buy a club from League Champ for cheap, buy amazing players and move up to the Premiership and eventually become a power. It's a bit of a risk but it could be very profitable, especially if the club plays in a big city.
What "amazing player" would want to sign for a club in the League ChamP?

What do you think aboout Zidane possibly signing for Red Bull New York.

gdamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:23 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Freddy G hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Did anyone else the ESPN ticker a week or so ago?

It said Ronaldinho was transferred to Milan. I know there have a bunch of rumors in the past, but there isn't anything on the website.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:01 PM    (permalink
Tobzilla
Pro Bowler

Tobzilla hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Tobzilla hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy G
Did anyone else the ESPN ticker a week or so ago?

It said Ronaldinho was transferred to Milan. I know there have a bunch of rumors in the past, but there isn't anything on the website.
Ronaldo was transfered to AC Milan

PM me for sig requests
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Connery View Post
Suck it Trebek!
Tobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:40 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD
Quote:
Originally Posted by etk
What "amazing player" would want to sign for a club in the League ChamP?

What do you think aboout Zidane possibly signing for Red Bull New York.
I meant solid, not amazing players. A lot of money might sway their mind....
Zidane won't join the MLS. How old is he anyway? Older than Beckham?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:42 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Zidane is like 34/35ish

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:45 PM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.

^ He could still play every player in the MLS off the pitch (not to mention La Liga, Serie A, EPL, Bundesliga, etc.)

I think it would be a good, quasi retirement gig for him.

gdamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:27 AM    (permalink
AdrianWilson12
Veteran

AdrianWilson12 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk
They could, but they would probably want some team with history and potential to grow. So that basically limits Nottingham Forest, Leeds, Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday. There would be no point taking over someone like Colchester, purely from a business sence. Mind you teams like Wigan, Gretna and Fulham are only where they are because of rich owners. There is also the argument of patiences before they are good, added with the struggle of buying good players.
#1--Russell I can't be too disappointed in this pick because he is, realistically, a huge upgrade (in the same way that the Great Wall of China would be a huge upgrade over the fence in my backyard) over Andrew Walter.
AdrianWilson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Jango
Rookie

Jango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3
Quote:
Originally Posted by etk
So TH3 how does it feel now that Man U's best player Cristiano Ronaldo is headed to Spain pretty soon?
while I am sad he will be leaving.... I am happy.... his skip is top notch but if he dosnt want to play for Man U he needs to go.... Owen Hargraves will be here come the summer and that will weaken the loss and I expect us to make a move for Darren Bent as well.... and if/when he leaves it will be Rooneys time to shine... to become the "wonder boy" and become what he many think he could be
That is the stupidest thing ever. First of all, Ronaldo will not leave, he has become one of the best players in the world here and will be offered a new contract to reflect it. How will Hargrevees, A defensive midfielder weaken the loss? We will have a 34 year old Giggs and Park ji-Sung on the wings, that's not good enough. Why would we want Darren Bent, considering that Charlton have rejected an £18million offer for him, why would we pay more? And as for the Rooney thing, you obviously don't watch and united games. He already is the wonder boy, he is already shinning, he is going to become one of the best ever, Ronaldo does not restrict his progress, it just helps it and the club, having two of the best youngersters in the world. The fans love them both, never stop singing their name, why would Ronaldo want to leave?

in no way did i claim that he (CR) hampers Rooney at all. I was simply pointing out that if he did leave more of the burden of carrying the team would fall on Rooney's shoulders and we would see if Wayne could truely become the greatest ever.

as for the Owen Hargraves comment... how do good players joining a team not weaken the loss of a star player? So what if he is a defensive mid he still brings skill to the pitch.
Have you watched any United games at all this season? Have you not seen how influential Ronaldo has been to the sucess of the team? Now take him out and replace him with Hargreeves. We are a second at best with him in the team and not Ronaldo. Also, the arguement you sugest is stupid. Just because you bring in a good player doesn't mean the loss of a star player is weakened, especially if they play in completly different positions. It's like taking off your world class striker for a world class defender. They are both world class, star players that add to the team but the effect on how you will play would be huge.
Jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:06 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3
Quote:
Originally Posted by etk

Have you watched any United games at all this season? Have you not seen how influential Ronaldo has been to the sucess of the team? Now take him out and replace him with Hargreeves. We are a second at best with him in the team and not Ronaldo. Also, the arguement you sugest is stupid. Just because you bring in a good player doesn't mean the loss of a star player is weakened, especially if they play in completly different positions. It's like taking off your world class striker for a world class defender. They are both world class, star players that add to the team but the effect on how you will play would be huge.
Hargreaves+Lennon+Torres>>>>>Ronaldo
Old 02-09-2007, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Jango
Rookie

Jango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Yeah, but Hargreeves on it's own does not make up for the loss of Ronaldo.
Jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:24 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3
Quote:
Originally Posted by etk

Hargreaves+Lennon+Torres>>>>>Ronaldo
Are you saying you could buy those 3 for the price of Ronaldo? The combination would probably be better for a team, although individually Ronaldo has been much better than any of them this season, but it is no way an equal pricing. Lennon alone would likely set an English team back £20m + due to the overpricing of English talent. Torres would be probably £15m or so, and Hargreaves was likely to be about £12m or so I believe, Ronaldo's potential transfer has been rumoured at around £35m

I haven't read the whole argument so excuse me if I missed the point, just my take.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:13 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Obviously 3 players would amount to more expensive than one, but the possible retirements of Giggs/Carrick would free up salary space. I don't know why they want Hargreaves so badly. They're better off pursuing an off-the-market player with more talent. Aaron Lennon is the only adequate replacement for Ronaldo that I can think of. Robben is out of question.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:07 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk
Obviously 3 players would amount to more expensive than one, but the possible retirements of Giggs/Carrick would free up salary space. I don't know why they want Hargreaves so badly. They're better off pursuing an off-the-market player with more talent. Aaron Lennon is the only adequate replacement for Ronaldo that I can think of. Robben is out of question.
Scholes not Carrick my bad.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk
Ronaldo clearly wants to go to Spain and so do his Portugal coaches. Man U should sell him for a ridiculous amount and use the leftover money to pry Aaron Lennon from Tottenham and sign another available player like Crouch or something. Lennon is younger than Ronaldo and is faster/better at crosses but he can't score like Ronaldo. That's what I would do in FIFA 07
If United even looks at Lennon I will personally hunt their board down and destroy them all. It's tough enough being a fan of the Hotspur as it is, but take away Lennon and I'd be downright pissed off. :evil:

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Vince Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:10 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

I still maintain the fact that the MLS needs more than gimicks to make it a successful league. Bringing in guys like Beckham and Zidane will certainly attract interest for their first few games, but people won't be following teams, they will be following two superstars, and may only watch their games. The way to build a league is to have fans who are, well, fanatical about teams narrow, not the occassional superstar. That way, fans will go to games like they do in Europe--go to any game you can to support your team. Not try to get to the one or two games a year when Beckham comes to town.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:08 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888
I still maintain the fact that the MLS needs more than gimicks to make it a successful league. Bringing in guys like Beckham and Zidane will certainly attract interest for their first few games, but people won't be following teams, they will be following two superstars, and may only watch their games. The way to build a league is to have fans who are, well, fanatical about teams narrow, not the occassional superstar. That way, fans will go to games like they do in Europe--go to any game you can to support your team. Not try to get to the one or two games a year when Beckham comes to town.
I agree, but bringing in aging superstars certainly isn't hurting the cause. For the MLS to ever be truly popular they will have to be able to compete with the top European leagues to sign the best players. MLS is still a long ways away from being able to do that, but the new Beckham rule might open the floodgates and allow MLS teams to break the bank for some young superstars eventually.

Quote:
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Ramzorzlol

The MLS is almost verging on communist what with the way it pools money. There's no way it's going to make any money with the player base it has, although David Beckham might change that.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:36 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Holy crap Ramzorzlol can spell!!!

Don't Tottenham have Terry Dixon. He's like my age and he's so good in FIFA in manager mode.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:40 AM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk
Don't Tottenham have Terry Dixon. He's like my age and he's so good in FIFA in manager mode.
He's in their 1st year academy, he's still only like 17 so he's gotta work his way up. He does get badass in the FIFA though.

Quote:
Old 02-14-2007, 02:15 AM    (permalink
RWFender1
Veteran

RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1

is he a striker?

gamertag: uscfan06

RWFender1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:41 AM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWFender1
is he a striker?
Dixon? yea

Quote:
Old 02-14-2007, 08:54 AM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzorzlol
The MLS is almost verging on communist what with the way it pools money. There's no way it's going to make any money with the player base it has, although David Beckham might change that.
Huh?

Um they're making plenty of money dude. If they weren't, they wouldn't be building new stadiums every year.

Not near as much as say the EPL or Serie A, but they're doing pretty darn well.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote