Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 02-06-2007, 07:49 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys trip me out, talking about Morgan staying healthy. He's played in only 58% of the games since he's been here. So he's healthy slightly more than half the time.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:20 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF
You guys trip me out, talking about Morgan staying healthy. He's played in only 58% of the games since he's been here. So he's healthy slightly more than half the time.
That number is dragged down a bit by two really bad seasons, this past season and '02. His other four years here he played 73% of the games. Just one season ago he played in a career high 13 games, so who are we to say he can't do it again?
Old 02-06-2007, 02:51 PM    (permalink
BIG Country
Rookie

BIG Country hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

A Career 13 games says it all. The fact that he missed all of two seasons and parts of others doesn't change the fact that he's missed just over half the games in his career. This guy has never played a complete season. I wish I could work half the year and get paid my full salary. Sure must be nice.
Safety should be the #1 priority for Carolina. There are only 3 safeties on the roster, Minter, Deke Cooper and Salley!! TE has now become an option with new OC Jeff Davidson (Charlie Weis disciple). MLB not OLB is an area that needs to be addressed. DE depth is a need. No need anywhere for a DT. Injured LT and C coming back and the OL is switching to the ZBS (no cut-blocking though).
KR/PR MUST be addressed somewhere.
BIG Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:03 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Country
Carolina is trying to make one final run before it's core players get past their window. It's almost closed. Drafting a QB early would set this team back instead of helping them. Now Jake has to play scared (similiar to Jake Plummer) where if he makes a mistake then the rookie is coming in. Jake went to the Pro Bowl last season. He still has it. The OL lost it's LT and C week 1. Our starting RT was CUT by ARIZONA. Give him a healthy OL who can protect him and you see a completely different player.
Yeah, um...

Jake making probowl in the weakest NFC in years and arguably could have been replaced by Brunell.

Our RT, Bridges, played very well, and was not a weak point on this team.

The window is still wide open, and they can keep it open even longer by getting a good young QB. The core players, Lucas, Peppers, DeAngelo, Steve, Davis, they are all here and young.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:40 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Yeah, Jeremy Bridges certainly proved that HE wasn't the problem in Arizona.

I just wonder where everyone will fit on our offensive line. Jordan Gross won't be benched, but do you really want to sit Bridges after his performance down the stretch and the recent contract extension?

Add to that a new offensive line coach and an offensive coordinator whose specialty is the offensive line and we'll likely see a few shifts across the line as the offseason progresses.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Isn't Na'il Diggs a FA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:12 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Yeah and the early talk is he won't be brought back.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:01 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF
That number is dragged down a bit by two really bad seasons, this past season and '02. His other four years here he played 73% of the games. Just one season ago he played in a career high 13 games, so who are we to say he can't do it again?
So your argument is basically "he's missed less than 25% of the season once in his 6 year career"? :roll:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Country
Carolina is trying to make one final run before it's core players get past their window. It's almost closed. Drafting a QB early would set this team back instead of helping them. Now Jake has to play scared (similiar to Jake Plummer) where if he makes a mistake then the rookie is coming in. Jake went to the Pro Bowl last season. He still has it. The OL lost it's LT and C week 1. Our starting RT was CUT by ARIZONA. Give him a healthy OL who can protect him and you see a completely different player.
Wow, might be time to take off those Bojangles tinted sunglasses if you think Jake isn't part of the problem.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:26 AM    (permalink
nicksm

I think from what I have heard and what I think the Panthers should do I think they should go this route in the draft

1st Round-S or LB
I think if LaRon Landry or Reggie Nelson are available then one of them would be great choices cause Shaun Williams is not that good, Landry is probably a safer pick than Nelson but Nelson has loads of upside and is a big hitter. Patrick Willis would be a great addition to the team because he is a soild player on and off the field and a good man in the locker room

2nd Round-S or LB (depending where they go 1st round)
If they go LB than I think Brandon Meriweather would be a good choice or if they go S than Buster Davis or H.B. Blades would be solid LB's that could play right away

3rd Round-TE or a Big Brusing RB
I love Scott Chandler and we need a TE, sure he is not the greatest blocker but I think at 6-7 he could be a great TE in the NFL and I am from Big Ten country and have seen him play many times, also we need a big brusing RB like they had in S.Davis, get rid of Foster and give DW the starting job with a big RB to spell him

4th and 5th-Big RB and QB
need a backup that can play better than Wienke if Delhomme goes down again
Old 02-09-2007, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Come on, no Panthers fans on these boards?

I am running Carolina in the fantasy offseason ( http://nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18 ) and am open to suggestions. You can either post them here or PM me. No guranteeing I will act on them but I will listen.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:35 PM    (permalink
UtepMiner

Quote:
Yeah, Jeremy Bridges certainly proved that HE wasn't the problem in Arizona.

I just wonder where everyone will fit on our offensive line. Jordan Gross won't be benched, but do you really want to sit Bridges after his performance down the stretch and the recent contract extension?

Add to that a new offensive line coach and an offensive coordinator whose specialty is the offensive line and we'll likely see a few shifts across the line as the offseason progresses.
Why not move Bridges inside to a starting Guard spot? It's great thing to have O-line depth, now you know if someone at T goes down again Bridges could slide back out.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:35 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright
Come on, no Panthers fans on these boards?

I am running Carolina in the fantasy offseason ( http://nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18 ) and am open to suggestions. You can either post them here or PM me. No guranteeing I will act on them but I will listen.
What are you plans as far as free agency?

Realistically, Daniel Graham is one guy I definitely could see the Panthers targeting. Davidson wants the tight end to have an increased role in the offense, Davidson worked with Graham throughout his time in New England.

As far as the draft, defense should be the main focus of atleast the first two rounds. Safety in the first, linebacker in the second, or the other way around wherever there is value. Middle linebacker as been noted as a weakness, but many neglect to realize that Na'il Diggs likely won't be back and that will open up a spot beside Dan Morgan and Thomas Davis if we are unable to re-sign Chris Draft.

Third round should probably be where you look to address quarterback. Fourth round is a toss-up, although we certainly could use some more talent at cornerback in case injuries strike again.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:54 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

OLB is an overrated need. Everyone seems to forget we drafted one on day one last year. I'm not saying we won't draft one, but it would probably have to be just outrageous value.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:55 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF
OLB is an overrated need. Everyone seems to forget we drafted one on day one last year. I'm not saying we won't draft one, but it would probably have to be just outrageous value.
I like James Anderson, but I don't know if he'll be ready to start next season. Best case scenario would be that we re-sign Chris Draft and move him to outside linebacker, if we are unable to re-sign Draft we will need to address outside linebacker sooner rather than later.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:47 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

If we lose Draft, we lose our only viable back-up at MLB. So it would make MLB a pressing need, not OLB. As much as you're trying to see the "silver lining" in Dan Morgan, we just can not go into another season without someone to groom as his long term replacement.

Diggs was never going to be brought back unless he just had an outstanding year, and then we wouldn't have had the caproom to resign him. So really, he was never coming back. He was a one year quick fix while we groomed someone to take over the position longterm IMHO.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:25 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sign Daniel Graham, Draft Willis, Then the best safety available. Alternatively sign the best FA MLB/WLB or Safety and draft the other two position of needs.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:23 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Mel Kiper thinks we'll take Dwayne Bowe in the first round.

That would be a waste of a first-round pick, even if Keyshawn were to retire.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:27 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite
Sign Daniel Graham, Draft Willis, Then the best safety available. Alternatively sign the best FA MLB/WLB or Safety and draft the other two position of needs.
If either Landry or Nelson is available at #14, I think they would need to be the pick. Our secondary was much worse than our linebackers were throughout the year. Atleast Dan Morgan has the potential to be a difference-maker when he is on the field. Mike Minter and Shaun Williams, at this point in their careers, are a step slower than every wide receiver they face.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:42 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd agree with Landry, not Nelson. I don't think he'd be such a good fit for our scheme. I think Landry could be great.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:16 AM    (permalink
BIG Country
Rookie

BIG Country hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Dan Morgan has restructured to the league minimum and Carolina no longer owes him the $2 mil roster bonus.

Morgan to return to Panthers for league minimum in ’07
by Steve Reed
Gazette Sports Reporter

CHARLOTTE — Concussion-plagued Carolina Panthers middle linebacker Dan Morgan will likely return for another season with the team after agreeing to a restructured contract that includes playing for the NFL veteran minimum base salary this season.

According to NFL Players Association documents, Morgan’s base salary for 2007 is currently listed as $750,000, the minimum salary for a player with six years of NFL experience.

It’s unclear if the deal includes some type of playing time or performance incentives.

Morgan’s agent Drew Rosenhaus refused to comment on the restructured contract, which actually adds a year to Morgan’s current deal by a year, running through the 2010 season. That move is merely designed to spread out the salary cap hit from the signing bonus Morgan received in 2005. Carolina general manager Marty Hurney did not return phone calls, but the team’s policy has always been to not comment on restructured contracts.

The new deal protects the Panthers financially in the event Morgan suffers a sixth career concussion.

After sustaining a head injury last year in the preseason, Morgan returned for the season opener and only to suffer his fifth known concussion in six NFL seasons in a loss to the Atlanta Falcons on opening day. A few weeks later, concussion specialists in Pennsylvania recommended he sit out the season, allowing his head to heal.

Morgan was placed on injured reserve, but was cleared last month to play in 2007.

Morgan might have been waived by the Panthers this offseason. But the new deal likely means he will be back with the team this season, providing he can make it through training camp and the preseason without suffering another concussion.

However, if he’s injured or is cut this summer, the Panthers would not lose any additional money.

Regardless of Morgan’s future status, the team is still on the hook for $3.6 million in signing bonus money — the remaining portion of the signing bonus he received after inking a five-year, $25 million contract extension before the start of the 2005 season.

It’s almost a certainty the Panthers will protect themselves by adding at least one middle linebacker in free agency or in the NFL draft this offseason. Chris Draft, who started 13 games at middle linebacker last year, is an unrestricted free agent.

The restructured deal is also good for Morgan because it affords him an opportunity to prove to the Panthers, as well as the rest of the league, that he has recovered from the series of head injuries and can still play at a high level.

Although he will not receive the $2 million signing bonus he was due to make this April — there was no chance the team was going to give him that money given his history of concussions — Morgan stands a chance to earn significantly more money over the next four seasons if he can stay healthy.

According to the NFLPA, his base salary will jump to $2.85 million in 2008, $4.25 million in 2009 and to $5.38 million in 2010. The move will save Carolina more than $2 million toward next season's salary cap.

“I’m not (hesitant) at all,” Morgan told reporters Jan. 1, the day after the Panthers season ended. “I feel fine. From the outside people are always going to draw their own conclusions about how I feel and what happened. But I feel great. I’ve had a lot of time to heal up. I feel ready to play and I’m excited to come back next season.”

A first-round draft pick out of Miami in 2001, Morgan is an extremely talented player with outstanding speed and ability to run from sideline to sideline.

In Carolina’s Super Bowl XXXVIII loss to the New England Patriots, Morgan had 25 tackles.

Morgan’s problem has never been his skill, but his injury problems. Since coming to the Panthers, he’s never played in a full 16-game season. Last season, Morgan even invested in a $20,000 hyper baric chamber and brought it to training camp, but the experiment failed to prevent another concussion.
Safety should be the #1 priority for Carolina. There are only 3 safeties on the roster, Minter, Deke Cooper and Salley!! TE has now become an option with new OC Jeff Davidson (Charlie Weis disciple). MLB not OLB is an area that needs to be addressed. DE depth is a need. No need anywhere for a DT. Injured LT and C coming back and the OL is switching to the ZBS (no cut-blocking though).
KR/PR MUST be addressed somewhere.
BIG Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:24 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Great move. When you look at other Miami players in the NFL, it looks like we may have actually found one without an ego.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
heavyduty
Rookie

heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.heavyduty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so how do you guys feel about our new O-Coordinator? Think we will see more pass, and less run? Or a pretty balanced offense? I will admit, I wasnt a big Dan Henning fan, I understand he got us to a super bowl and all, but some of his play calls this year were ridiculous.... Putting Deangelo in the backfield without a QB was pretty funny, and it seemed to work, but it just got old after a while, and you begin to wonder what henning was thinking...
"it won't change not one way how I play this week no matter what the fine is. You can't stop playing defense the way defense has always been created to play." - Ray Lewis after being fined $20,000 for hit on Hines Ward

Let's Go BUFFALO!
heavyduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Dillen
Pro Bowler

Dillen hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Mel Kiper thinks we'll take Dwayne Bowe in the first round.

That would be a waste of a first-round pick, even if Keyshawn were to retire.
He had the Eagles taking Tim Crowder in the first. He's abysmal at best with mock drafts.

Thanks to jkpigskin
Dillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:37 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

I'll wait and see. In his interview on Panthers.com, Davidson said he thinks alot like John Fox in that he wants to establish the run. However, he also said that he wouldn't be stubborn and continue to run the ball if it isn't effective, which is a problem we had this season. He wants to add some dimensions to the passing game and make it more than just Steve Smith. Early comments make it seem like he wants to greatly increase the role of the tight end in our offense, which is why I believe Daniel Graham will be our key target in free agency. I am definitely excited to see what he can do and think it was a much better choice than anyone from within the organization who would essentially have the same philosophy as Henning.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:42 AM    (permalink
UtepMiner

Thoughts on my Panthers first day mock?