Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 12-13-2008, 03:43 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeBryant833 View Post
Miami is building for titles? last time i checked there going in the wrong direction and Florida is building and winning national titles IMO.
Last time I checked, there should be spelled they're. You know, like they are. A place can't go in the wrong direction. Moving on...

Wrong direction? Larry Coker flipped us from being a national title contender to a 5-7 win team. Under Shannon, we're recruiting top 5 classes, developing our players and shaping them as young men. 7-8 wins and a late-season choke away from making the ACC title game is pretty good progress considering how young our team is and how far we've come.

Florida is already there. Urban Meyer is a shortcut kind of guy, and he did whatever it took to build up his program quickly. We'll be there in a couple of years, but without all the rumors, scandals and arrests that will continue to plague UF under Meyer's tenure. Last I checked, we've won 5 National Titles, so it's nothing new.

lol kwilk.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilk103 View Post
auburn paying him $3 mil a year

could of had kelly, holtz, turner for less and all are better coaches
Hell if I'm Auburn I'd rather have Ron Zook than Chizik, at least you know you're getting a top 5 recruiter in the country.

Chizik...yuck. I've always kinda liked Auburn too...I gotta feel for them today.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Hell if I'm Auburn I'd rather have Ron Zook than Chizik, at least you know you're getting a top 5 recruiter in the country.

Chizik...yuck. I've always kinda liked Auburn too...I gotta feel for them today.
You can't feel sorry for a fan base and administration that ran Tuberville out. They sort of did this to themselves.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:27 PM    (permalink
CroomDawgs
Veteran

CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.

This has gotta be the first time a coach from a 3-9 team has been hired by a prestigious program

Mississippi State BBall: 22-12 (9-7) SEC CHAMPS!
Jarvis Varnado: Best Defensive player in the SEC

Amazing sig by jkpigskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I'm no scientist but a mixture of semen, blood and feces can't be good.
LOL props to Paul
CroomDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:48 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroomDawgs View Post
This has gotta be the first time a coach from a 3-9 team has been hired by a prestigious program
Man how is the feeling down there initally about the hiring of Dan Mullen? To me, i think that he can help rise MSU out of the cellar but he's going to need some patience from the fans and admin because he does have his work cut out for him. We haven't heard if he's going to coach us in the MNC Game, has there been any word on that up there?
murdamal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:49 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now now...let's been fair. Iowa State is a death trap. Nobody wins there.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:50 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Last time I checked, there should be spelled they're. You know, like they are. A place can't go in the wrong direction. Moving on...

Wrong direction? Larry Coker flipped us from being a national title contender to a 5-7 win team. Under Shannon, we're recruiting top 5 classes, developing our players and shaping them as young men. 7-8 wins and a late-season choke away from making the ACC title game is pretty good progress considering how young our team is and how far we've come.

Florida is already there. Urban Meyer is a shortcut kind of guy, and he did whatever it took to build up his program quickly. We'll be there in a couple of years, but without all the rumors, scandals and arrests that will continue to plague UF under Meyer's tenure. Last I checked, we've won 5 National Titles, so it's nothing new.

lol kwilk.
well besides the fact that i hate UM, i'll give it to ya'll in the fact that the program is headed in the right direction as far as removing itself from the Coker error. I don't think you can blame Meyer for things that happen off the field as far as player arrest and what not but if you want to, gone head, i won't argue with that.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:53 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Now now...let's been fair. Iowa State is a death trap. Nobody wins there.
In the football team's history, Iowa State has only had 2 seasons of 9 or more wins. In 2000 and in 1906... WOW

http://www.cyclones.com//pdf7/49353.pdf

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Old 12-13-2008, 04:54 PM    (permalink
CroomDawgs
Veteran

CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdamal86 View Post
Man how is the feeling down there initally about the hiring of Dan Mullen? To me, i think that he can help rise MSU out of the cellar but he's going to need some patience from the fans and admin because he does have his work cut out for him. We haven't heard if he's going to coach us in the MNC Game, has there been any word on that up there?
I haven't heard if he's coaching in the title game i think he shouldn't though we need a lot of help on offense he should start work on that ASAP. I'm excited for the hire. What Florida has done with him and Meyer on offense is sick and although I loved Croom for what he did the offense was painful to watch (mostly wesley Carroll ). I think it will take a year though we don't have a back or player like a Percy Harvin or Jeffrey Demps. Dixon is a power back through and through and DUcre ain't got no speed. Another thing is it will be intresting to see about how well he recruits. Florida was able to land numerous top notch prospects with great speed and we need that to keep up in the SEC.

I'm not expecting a Houston Nutt turnaround but hopefully we can get to a bowl game next year, Tyson Lee could be pretty good in Mullens offense.

Amazing sig by jkpigskin

Quote:
LOL props to Paul
Old 12-13-2008, 04:55 PM    (permalink
CroomDawgs
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
In the football team's history, Iowa State has only had 2 seasons of 9 or more wins. In 2000 and in 1906... WOW

http://www.cyclones.com//pdf7/49353.pdf

I remember when Seneca Wallace was the heisman fronrunner and then was destroyed by Oklahoma. LOL.

Amazing sig by jkpigskin

Quote:
LOL props to Paul
Old 12-13-2008, 05:08 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

Quote:
I haven't heard if he's coaching in the title game i think he shouldn't though we need a lot of help on offense he should start work on that ASAP. I'm excited for the hire. What Florida has done with him and Meyer on offense is sick and although I loved Croom for what he did the offense was painful to watch (mostly wesley Carroll ). I think it will take a year though we don't have a back or player like a Percy Harvin or Jeffrey Demps. Dixon is a power back through and through and DUcre ain't got no speed. Another thing is it will be intresting to see about how well he recruits. Florida was able to land numerous top notch prospects with great speed and we need that to keep up in the SEC.

I'm not expecting a Houston Nutt turnaround but hopefully we can get to a bowl game next year, Tyson Lee could be pretty good in Mullens offense.
to be honest with you, i would love for him to call plays for us in the title game but realistically speaking he should be with his new school trying to piece the staff together. i don't know when it will come out if he's going to be with us in Miami or not but it needs to have already happened. One thing that i'll be wanting to see is how he's going to piece together his staff. i heard he may take some graduate assistants with him but no word on what's going to happen with the current MSU coaching staff. if you have any info on who he would be wise to keep or let go, please speak on it. I hope the best for Mullen but man he has an uphill battle.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:05 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
come on now, they were 2-10, 0-8 in the Big 12 without playing Oklahoma, Texas, or Texas Tech.

fwiw, I really hope Chizik does well at Auburn so that it's a further slight to how horrible Iowa St. really is.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:22 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kirk Herbstreit loves the hire of Gene Chizik.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:19 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
well besides the fact that i hate UM, i'll give it to ya'll in the fact that the program is headed in the right direction as far as removing itself from the Coker error. I don't think you can blame Meyer for things that happen off the field as far as player arrest and what not but if you want to, gone head, i won't argue with that.
Meyer chooses to recruit these players onto his team. Ditto to Tommy Bowden and others. I blame his stubbornness. Meyer has a talented, NC contender team and he still feels he has to get every talented player out there. If he would raise his standards and do more thorough background checks on these kids, we wouldn't have this problem. Then he could just replace the bad kids with good ones that have a bit less talent.

Maybe Coach will learn his lesson and take my advice, maybe not. You can't just say it's all circumstance though, because there are preventative measures that can be taken. But yeah, other than the fact that these players are his recruits, you can't really go out and say it's his fault because he's a bad influence or something. We'll see what happens in the next 3-5 years.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-14-2008, 06:16 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3768737

Ball State head coach Brady Hoke takes the San Diego State HC job.
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Yatta!
Veteran

Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sources saying that Ball State HC Brady Hoke will take the SDSU job.

Sig by Eaglez.Fan
Yatta! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:48 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with 51, give Chizik a chance. Iowa State is an awful job. It's almost impossible to recruit there. They are the second best program in a state that has poor talent already and they wouldn't get good out-of-state recruits if Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, and Ron Zook were all on the coaching staff.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:04 AM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
I agree with 51, give Chizik a chance. Iowa State is an awful job. It's almost impossible to recruit there. They are the second best program in a state that has poor talent already and they wouldn't get good out-of-state recruits if Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, and Ron Zook were all on the coaching staff.

I agree that Iowa State is an awful job, but you don't promote a guy because he did terrible work at an awful job.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:13 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah but Chizik was responsible for turning Texas into a perennial Defensive powerhouse
Old 12-15-2008, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post
Yeah but Chizik was responsible for turning Texas into a perennial Defensive powerhouse

That's an absolutely asinine comment. Chizik spent two years at Texas and he is the one responsible for turning Texas into a perennial defensive powerhouse??? Huh??

The amazing talent that Texas brings in is responsible for their solid defensive outputs, not the guy who spent two years as defensive coordinator in Austin.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:31 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
That's an absolutely asinine comment. Chizik spent two years at Texas and he is the one responsible for turning Texas into a perennial defensive powerhouse??? Huh??

The amazing talent that Texas brings in is responsible for their solid defensive outputs, not the guy who spent two years as defensive coordinator in Austin.
How about Gene Chizik was the hottest DC in all of football when he took the Iowa State job?

If it also helps to show why he got the Auburn job, he was the DC at Auburn when they went 13-0. From what I've been hearing, they've been waiting for the opportunity to hire Chizik for close to 5 years now and it finally came along.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:52 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post

Ball State head coach Brady Hoke takes the San Diego State HC job.
A minor upgrade over the Ball State job, but you have to wonder whether he could've found a better gig now or in a year. He could use the SDSU job as a stepping stone like Meyer in Utah, or he could float around 4-6 wins and fall off the coaching map. I think it's a risky move taking over a program with little to offer except long-term potential.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-15-2008, 06:13 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

Quote:
Meyer chooses to recruit these players onto his team. Ditto to Tommy Bowden and others. I blame his stubbornness. Meyer has a talented, NC contender team and he still feels he has to get every talented player out there. If he would raise his standards and do more thorough background checks on these kids, we wouldn't have this problem. Then he could just replace the bad kids with good ones that have a bit less talent.

Maybe Coach will learn his lesson and take my advice, maybe not. You can't just say it's all circumstance though, because there are preventative measures that can be taken. But yeah, other than the fact that these players are his recruits, you can't really go out and say it's his fault because he's a bad influence or something. We'll see what happens in the next 3-5 years.
lol in the next 3-5 years, Meyer will be gone to ND and maybe we'll finally get Stoops azz to come back to Gainesville hmm.....
Old 12-15-2008, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Quote:
A minor upgrade over the Ball State job, but you have to wonder whether he could've found a better gig now or in a year. He could use the SDSU job as a stepping stone like Meyer in Utah, or he could float around 4-6 wins and fall off the coaching map. I think it's a risky move taking over a program with little to offer except long-term potential.
San Diego State is actually a great and very underrated job. They have a huge fan base, great facilities and arguably the best looking campus in the country. They have a history of semi-respectability, so I think it is a great move. Get some decent talent there and he could make a constant run at the MWC.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Old 12-15-2008, 06:23 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
lol in the next 3-5 years, Meyer will be gone to ND and maybe we'll finally get Stoops azz to come back to Gainesville hmm.....
Good. You could do without the drama and gimmicky offense. I hate ND more than UF as a school, but the team that has Meyer gets the least respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
San Diego State is actually a great and very underrated job. They have a huge fan base, great facilities and arguably the best looking campus in the country. They have a history of semi-respectability, so I think it is a great move. Get some decent talent there and he could make a constant run at the MWC.
I agree 100%. Problem is, that all falls into the "potential" department.

sig by BoneKrusher