Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:48 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am going to be rooting for the Saints so much. From 4-12 to 2nd seed. Come on...The curse lives on!

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:48 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Carolina at New Orleans. I'm going with New Orleans because not only will they win a meaningless game (for them) but it will also help kill their chances at landing a higher draft pick and Drew Brees will come this close -> [] to the passing record.

The Saints will definitely manage to win because their known as historic **** ups and in this game they will **** up three things all at once. How can they pass up this opportunity?
You root for better draft choice? That is sad..
Old 12-24-2008, 08:14 PM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonraider
You root for better draft choice? That is sad..
If you can't possibly make the playoffs. What exactly is the point of winning?
Old 12-24-2008, 08:23 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
Thats the way a quitter speaks, IMO.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:28 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Raiders fans would beg to differ. It's an expensive habit ya know.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:24 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonraider View Post
Thats the way a quitter speaks, IMO.
In terms of bettering your franchise, you kind of have to lose. A meaningless win can alter your draft choice a couple of spots for 7 rounds. It does add up in the end.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:31 PM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619
Raiders fans would beg to differ. It's an expensive habit ya know.
That's because they draft poorly. Not because they draft in bad positions when they do tank it up.

I think you have to play your asses off if you even have the slightest shot(whether it requires the planets to align or not.) If you can still make it. You play like you are possessed. But once you are mathematically out. It serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever to win. At that point it should be about giving your team the best chance to improve next year. Means playing rookies and young players who need a chance to improve...

If winning is a result of playing kids and giving them a chance to show what they have in games proper(instead of PS crap) then you know. That's good news for next year anyway. But if you are playing the same crappy players who had your team at 2-10 right up till week 14 and they somehow miraculously get a win against a 13-1 team. That serves absolutely no purpose.(unless the team is extremely young to begin with.)
Old 12-24-2008, 10:32 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
In terms of bettering your franchise, you kind of have to lose. A meaningless win can alter your draft choice a couple of spots for 7 rounds. It does add up in the end.
Exactly. Some people get it, some people don't. Remember last year when the Jets won a meaningless game in OT. It altered their draft position from 3rd to 6th. Who'd they end up getting at the 6th spot? Vernon Gholston who has sucked more than Jenna Jameson on a "Best of" DVD.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:35 AM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Quote:
Exactly. Some people get it, some people don't. Remember last year when the Jets won a meaningless game in OT. It altered their draft position from 3rd to 6th. Who'd they end up getting at the 6th spot? Vernon Gholston who has sucked more than Jenna Jameson on a "Best of" DVD.
It doesn't really matter. You don't tank games. Never. Especially not if you're going to be payed 500k for a game in which you never tried. I guess this is my attitude because I've always been part of a winning team, ever since I entered middle school I've won everything football related. You don't work your ass off all training camp and all season to tank one final game, unless you frankly don't care. Frankly, I dislike that attitude, I think its loser talk.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:38 AM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They otherwise may have drafted Run DMC and Thomas Jones may not have had the season he is having. So it could have worked out in the end... Though, that's one ridiculous situation, and it's possible McFadden could have been a stud behind a competent O-Line.
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:50 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

Quote:
It doesn't really matter. You don't tank games. Never. Especially not if you're going to be payed 500k for a game in which you never tried. I guess this is my attitude because I've always been part of a winning team, ever since I entered middle school I've won everything football related. You don't work your ass off all training camp and all season to tank one final game, unless you frankly don't care. Frankly, I dislike that attitude, I think its loser talk.
It's the talk of loser's. Loser talk is giving up when you still have a chance. Giving up, when winning won't do anything remotely positive for your franchise is the talk a bunch of losers have. But it's smart losers who have already accepted that they suck this season and wish to improve more NEXT season.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:56 AM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Quote:
It's the talk of loser's. Loser talk is giving up when you still have a chance. Giving up, when winning won't do anything remotely positive for your franchise is the talk a bunch of losers have. But it's smart losers who have already accepted that they suck this season and wish to improve more NEXT season.
Ok, so do you think once the Lions were eliminated mathematically from the playoffs they started losing every game to make sure they had the first pick? Or that their players and coaches even tried it? If so, what a poor game. Losing IMO, takes confidence away from you, confidence you could carry on to the offseason.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:00 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonraider1386872
Ok, so do you think once the Lions were eliminated mathematically from the playoffs they started losing every game to make sure they had the first pick? Or that their players and coaches even tried it? If so, what a poor game. Losing IMO, takes confidence away from you, confidence you could carry on to the offseason.
I wouldn't have a clue whether the Lions have tanked or whether they just blow camel nuts. I'm just saying I understand why a team would tank when out of playoff contention. I don't personally consider it loser talk.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:04 AM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Quote:
I wouldn't have a clue whether the Lions have tanked or whether they just blow camel nuts. I'm just saying I understand why a team would tank when out of playoff contention. I don't personally consider it loser talk.
Well we're just going to have to disagree I guess. I mean, a lot of people payed money to go to games to see their team atleast try. Also these players get paid for losing if its over? Hey hire me I'll play for 100 dollars and I'll throw many more interceptions than Drew Brees is even capable of!
Old 12-25-2008, 01:30 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

Quote:
Well we're just going to have to disagree I guess. I mean, a lot of people payed money to go to games to see their team atleast try. Also these players get paid for losing if its over? Hey hire me I'll play for 100 dollars and I'll throw many more interceptions than Drew Brees is even capable of!
But then Brees wouldn't be able to throw garbage time yards and steal Dan Marino's yardage in a single season mark.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:44 AM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want to see victories for New England and Chicago on Sunday, although it may be tough for the Bears to win in Houston.

I have to root for the Jets this weekend, which hurts me a little, so hopefully Brett can start to play like an actual NFL quarterback again this week.

I also need a Giants win as well.

Looks like I just became a huge fan of the state of New York, except for Buffalo. ;)

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Time to kick the Browns ass for the 11th straight time.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:05 AM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's extremely windy over here in Buffalo.
We're having sustained 40-50 mph winds with 60 mph gusts.
At the Ralph, the fieldgoal posts are on an angle and the benches are blowing out onto the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:35 AM    (permalink
gameplaya2435
Rookie

gameplaya2435 is a cocksman.gameplaya2435 is a cocksman.gameplaya2435 is a cocksman.gameplaya2435 is a cocksman.

Go Raiders and Texans and Giants and Eagles!!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:49 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I kind of just want this Packers game to be over and I kind of don't. I do because of the 0-16 and don't because there won't be anymore GB football for 9.5 months. Maybe I should get some chick pregnant to pass the time.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:01 AM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tarvarissssssssssssssssssssss
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:13 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jacobs, Boss, Ross, and Coefield all inactive against the Vikings. We're down 4 starters right there.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It is in the long-term interest of a franchise to tank, but not for the players. If their contracts expire their playing to impress other teams or their own management to get as good of a contract as possible.

If they still have a contract their playing to keep their jobs, often when new coaches come into an awful team they greatly overhaul the roster. If your working hard it can be the difference between being cut or not.

Players care much more about what is in their own long-term best interest than the team's. Most will be gone in a few seasons anyway.
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:33 AM    (permalink
bernbabybern820
Pro Bowler

bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucs_Rule View Post
It is in the long-term interest of a franchise to tank, but not for the players. If their contracts expire their playing to impress other teams or their own management to get as good of a contract as possible.

If they still have a contract their playing to keep their jobs, often when new coaches come into an awful team they greatly overhaul the roster. If your working hard it can be the difference between being cut or not.

Players care much more about what is in their own long-term best interest than the team's. Most will be gone in a few seasons anyway.
No way players tank games when contracts and starting positions are on the line.
They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.
bernbabybern820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:57 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Go Jets, Go Pats, Go Jax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote