Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:51 AM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.
Default Will Singletary Be The Chargers Head Coach

he is 1st on the list

http://nfl.com/teams/story/SD/9997801

do you think he will get the job if so what do you tyhink he will run

a 4-3

a 4-6

a 3-4

DE Merriam
DT Castillo
NT Williams
DE Shawn Phillips

OLB ?
MLB ?
OLB Foley
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:29 AM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yes he will

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:53 AM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NO - Nolan looked him over as our Defensive Co Ordinator so I dont see how he can go from a LB coach straight to the head role. Clearly Nolan must not see too much in him but I guess other teams may have differing opinions. I just think the Chargers are in a win now position and to trust that to Singletary may be too much of an ask

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:15 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

head coach , no

d cord, maybe

and its a 46 not a 4-6
Old 02-15-2007, 03:25 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i just hope they dont take rex
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:30 AM    (permalink
WeaselBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz
head coach , no

d cord, maybe

and its a 46 not a 4-6
He can't leave to be a teams defensive coordinator(if thats what you mean). Mike nolan can restrict it and besides, singletarys said numerous times that the only way he's leaving the niners is if he's offered a headcoaching job. He's an assistant headcoach and wasn't offered the niners defensive coordinator job because 1. it would be a downgrade and 2. nolan said that he'd rather have him work with the whole team instead of just the defense.

Quote:
Mike Singletary, assistant head coach/defense, was passed over for the job because Nolan said his current role already takes advantage of his best attributes as a coach. Singletary's leadership is felt on both sides of the ball, as he delivers weekly talks to the entire team.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:32 AM    (permalink
WeaselBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89
i just hope they dont take rex
I honestly don't care who they take as long as it's not norv. They can have singletary if they want(although, I hope not...but if it comes down to him and norv, i'd rather they take singletary)....just leave norv to us, our offense needs some consistency.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:58 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In my personal opinion, I think Singletary would be the ideal new head coach for the San Diego Chargers. He would bring Hall of Fame, Super Bowl winning, credibility. He would be an excellent motivator, which is the primary thing a Head Coach is supposed to do. He has had a string of 'impressive' interviews, he will eventually make the leap from Assistant Head Coach, to Head Coach. The question is a when and where, not if.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:26 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Casey Pearce, of Chargers.com, reports San Francisco 49ers assistant head coach Mike Singletary spent five hours interviewing with the San Diego Chargers Wednesday, Feb. 14. Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said, "We had a terrific interview with Mike today. It was very informative. We exchanged a lot of ideas in a very informal setting. Our time involved a great deal of philosophical discussion, both his philosophies and ours. Most of all, I enjoyed a chance to talk football with Mike." Team president Dean Spanos discussed with Singletary how the team operates and how the head coach fits into the team's organizational structure. "Dean talked about his organizational structure and what's expected of the head coach. We discussed the roles of the general manager and head coach and how they will work together to win a championship. The goal of this search is to find the man that can help us get where we want to go. We want candidates to have a full awareness of what's being asked of them," Smith added.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:17 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope they dont take Rex
Old 02-15-2007, 09:08 AM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991
I hope they dont take Rex
same here, i want Rex to stay in Baltimore 4ever! He loves his team and the players love him. Without him our defense will never be the same.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:30 AM    (permalink
FOOTBALLFAN09

I'm a Charger fan, and I want Rex Ryan first and foremost, then Mike, and then Ron Rivera. I am salivating to see how Rex Ryan would turn this defense loose, holy crap it would be amazing.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:33 AM    (permalink
Bohleive
Veteran

Bohleive hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

He doesn't have the experience yet. You need to be more than a motivator, you need to be a gameplanner and Singletary hasn't shown that yet. Like someone else said, maybe as D coordinator. I think it's gonna be Rex Ryan and here's why:
I would absolutely hate to see Rex go though, and I think it will definitely be him. He's got at least as good a resume, probably better, than Rivera (and Signletary) and he's run a 3-4. He was the Ravens DL coach when they won the SB, he's the architect behind a dominant #1 D, he's relatively young and popular with his player, and he's innovative. Also, the strength of the Chargers D is obviously their passrush, and Rex's scheme just happens to depend on harrassing QBs from all angles, the fit is a very good one. I'm 90% sure he gets the job. I really hope it's not true, but it looks that way. It sucks even more for the Ravens because the dam Chargers dragged their feet and now we'll have to scramble to get a new DC, with alot of talent already having shifted to new places.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:55 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope not he is the last guy I want SD to get.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:08 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no because Pete carroll will be the new coach..

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:15 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He seems like the best fit right now.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:35 AM    (permalink
FOOTBALLFAN09

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088
There is no chance in hell that Carroll will be our coach or that AJ Smith will be gone anytime soon. PFT is ridiculous and wrong.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:38 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myinnerself
Quote:
There is no chance in hell that Carroll will be our coach or that AJ Smith will be gone anytime soon. PFT is ridiculous and wrong.
Just watch...

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:51 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

HC's don't need to be X and O guys. Look at Cowher, Schottenheimer etc as examples. Singletary may not be suited as a DC, but can be suited as a HC. He can play motivator, while letting his coordinators coordinate. Theres alot more to coaching than a chalk board. Some of the best coaches out there stress execution over gameplan (Lombardi being the most obvious).
Old 02-15-2007, 11:57 AM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

He's only been in coaching 4 years so your taking a big risk, plus another task will be getting a decent staff around him which will be tough.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:01 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by myinnerself
Quote:
Just watch...
No says this article!
Old 02-15-2007, 12:08 PM    (permalink
Bohleive
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
HC's don't need to be X and O guys. Look at Cowher, Schottenheimer etc as examples. Singletary may not be suited as a DC, but can be suited as a HC. He can play motivator, while letting his coordinators coordinate. Theres alot more to coaching than a chalk board. Some of the best coaches out there stress execution over gameplan (Lombardi being the most obvious).
You're on shaky ground there. I would consider both Cowher and Schotty great gameplanners regardless of what you think of their X's and O's skills (which is also debateable), especially Cowher with his timing on trick plays, both on O and ST. Of course this doesn't require you to be a great X's and O's guy per se, but it helps to show that you have a good sense of playcalling. It starts with being a good playcaller; if you can call plays then you show you're able to effectively attack a team, exploit their weakness and adapt. Singletary has never shown that ability. That's not to say he doesn't have it though, and he could be hired if Smith feels that he does without tangible evidence. Being a motivator is good and a big part of being a HC, but not the only part.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:16 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohleive
Quote:
You're on shaky ground there. I would consider both Cowher and Schotty great gameplanners regardless of what you think of their X's and O's skills (which is also debateable), especially Cowher with his timing on trick plays, both on O and ST. Of course this doesn't require you to be a great X's and O's guy per se, but it helps to show that you have a good sense of playcalling. It starts with being a good playcaller; if you can call plays then you show you're able to effectively attack a team, exploit their weakness and adapt. Singletary has never shown that ability. That's not to say he doesn't have it though, and he could be hired if Smith feels that he does without tangible evidence. Being a motivator is good and a big part of being a HC, but not the only part.
How do you know the timing of those trick plays came from Cowher and not Wishenhunt?
Old 02-15-2007, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Bohleive
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillaraiderfan
Quote:
Quote:
How do you know the timing of those trick plays came from Cowher and not Wishenhunt?
As a ravens fan since '96, I know Cowher has been doing these for years. One example: Slash was pre-Wisenhunt, and that doesn't account for all the crazy ST trick plays he's called down through the years either.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:50 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillaraiderfan
Quote:
Quote:
As a ravens fan since '96, I know Cowher has been doing these for years. One example: Slash was pre-Wisenhunt, and that doesn't account for all the crazy ST trick plays he's called down through the years either.
But as a whole, Cowher and Schottenheimer's clock management and style's of passive offense and mental lapses during key situations have been big question marks about their ability to win big games. People forget, if Cowher didn't win the SB, he wouldve been in the same boat as Marty.

Both Marty and Cowher are more known for their ability to motivate and get players to play at their best:the basic fundamentals of coaching. The gameplan is the gameplan, they never wowed you with an impressive X and O strategy. But what they both were able to do is have their team mentally and physically ready to play every Sunday. Singletary can do that. He's a great positional coach, and he can teach basic things that can take each individual player and elevate their game. He would do most of his "coaching" in TC, and let the coordinators coordinate.