Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Would the Jets have a better record if they stuck with Chad Pennington?
Yes 22 33.85%
No 43 66.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2008, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't see how it is a stretch to say that the Jets would have been better offer with a highly efficient qb who takes care of the ball instead of a qb who leads the league in turnovers and has played poorly most of the season. The Jets biggest problem this season is that they have struggled against poor teams; Pennington would have definitely helped them in that regard.

I guess Favre still hasn't lost his mystique....

Last edited by Basileus777 : 12-22-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:38 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's hard to say. Pennington's team did only have 1 win last year and has a better recrod with arguably worst talent. Regardless I think both of these teams have been playing over their head. Although the Jets have now come back down to earth. The AFC East has had a easy schedule in general and none of these teams have really been able to overtake the Patriots despite not having Brady all year and the various other injuries they have dealt with.

For arguments sake, I'll take Chad. I can't remember a game the Jets played, that I said Favre won them that game. There could be one but I can't recall one now. On the other hand, there has been games he lost. So I'll say maybe the Jets would have had one more win with Chad at QB.

Last edited by Jughead10 : 12-22-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
I think Favre for the only reason because now they respect the deep ball and will keep only 7 in the box.
The Jets are still seeing 8 and 9 man fronts, Favre hasn't changed that. The truth is that Favre's arm isn't what it used to be; he regularly underthrows his receivers and can't be relied on to complete deep passes to his own team anymore. Favre has better zip on short passes than Pennington, but at this point in his career Favre can no longer make all the throws. And unfortunately for the Jets, Favre has yet to realize this. And I doubt he ever will.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:30 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Favre has been overrated for about a decade
BBIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:16 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Favre is done; he isn't NFL starter material anymore. He needs to hang it up.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:18 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it is all about Favre's age and health. Favre just needs to go. He shouldn't have come back, this is Joe Namath on the Rams, this is Joe Montana on the Chiefs, its sad. He needs to retire. I like Favre and all, but he just needs to go.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:36 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basileus777 View Post
Favre is done; he isn't NFL starter material anymore. He needs to hang it up.
I think this sentiment is a little harsh. I know he's not the same Favre, but I think he's better than at least half of the QB's in the league right now.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:46 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
I think this sentiment is a little harsh. I know he's not the same Favre, but I think he's better than at least half of the QB's in the league right now.
to be honest i think we would have managed better with one of our backups this season. and yes i know im probably just saying that cause im a little ticked about how the season ended up. but look at the offense he was running

-3 probowlers on the o-line (4 of 5 = former 1st rounders)
-revitalized Thomas Jones in the backfield with the electric Leon Washington to spell him
-2 very good wide receivers who have the ability to be a threat deep and make the tough catches over the middle. also they are great aat running after the catch.
-above average tight end unit
-pro bowl caliber full back

quarterbacks dream come true. sure the play calling wasnt fantastic this year but our player's talent and execution was outstanding. except for Favre
Old 12-28-2008, 10:48 PM    (permalink
jkpigskin
Pro Bowler

jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

going from your post, you wrote "game manager"
idk about you guys, but brett favre does not fit that mold. If the jets were looking for a game manager than they made the worse move EVER. Wow i cant even explain how bad the move wouldve been if that was truly their goal in the offseason

Go Ravens!
jkpigskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:53 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

idk if you can really blame the front office or whatever but i mean even if they were sure chad wasnt the right man for the job, they should have tried to acquire another qb instead of favre.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:57 PM    (permalink
Bluedevil$
Rookie

Bluedevil$ hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

No. The disparity between the quality of the Dolphins' CS and the Jets' CS is huge, and evidence to this is Chad's play this year. Don't get me wrong, Chad's a good QB, and there's no way Miami wins 11 games without him, but working with Henning again was a huge blessing for his career. If Chad had stayed, we probably would've seen a product similar to 2006.

As ****** as Favre was down the stretch, he did win us a few games (New England immediately comes to mind). We would've been anywhere between 8-8 and 10-6 had we kept Chad.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:57 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkpigskin View Post
going from your post, you wrote "game manager"
idk about you guys, but brett favre does not fit that mold. If the jets were looking for a game manager than they made the worse move EVER. Wow i cant even explain how bad the move wouldve been if that was truly their goal in the offseason
Obviously that wasn't their goal but it doesn't mean that its impossible to get Favre to play a bit more of a game manager role. Just look at him last year with the Packers where McCarthy had him doing a lot more short slant routes that were of little risk. Sure, he would occasionally "gunsling" it but it wasn't as much and he played a much smarter game. However, if you have no control over him then he will make stupid throws and costly decisions. You can ask any (rational) Packers fan about that one.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:19 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedevil$ View Post
As ****** as Favre was down the stretch, he did win us a few games (New England immediately comes to mind).
By that same standard Favre also lost you games against Oakland, San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, and Miami. He almost cost the Jets games against KC and Buffalo. The Jets had an easy schedule, to make the playoffs all they needed to do was beat the easy teams, and Favre was one of the main reasons they failed to do so.

Last edited by Basileus777 : 12-28-2008 at 11:23 PM.